• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

UT3. So how is it?

I can describe this game (lol, and its supposidly super polished....) in one word... that word is...


Rough.

The game just wasn't ready to be shipped this month... So much for a "BETA DEMO"

Epic didn't fix shit that was wrong with the beta demo... Beta was just an excuse....

they fixed something. it actually RUNS on my GX2 now :rolleyes: before it wouldnt run with any driver setup i had...
 
I am thoroughly enjoying it. I tried the single player, because I am new to the series. Then I customized my character and started playing vehicle capture the flag which is awesome.

the necris vehicles are insane.
 
Don't listen to the garbage, the game turned out excellent for the final product.

The only "problem" is the server browser could be tweaked a bit, and though there is nothing wrong with UI, it could use a little tweaking as well to be a bit more streamlined.

As for the game itself, it doesn't even need AA settings, as I haven't seen a single "jaggy".

The graphics are absolutely beautiful, the maps are creative and interesting, the gameplay (and game in general) "feels" perfect, the "fun factor" to the game is extremely high, the Necris vehicles are extremely unique and creative, the gameplay feels totally balanced as do the weapons and movement, textures and lighting are fantastic... and this is coming from a life-long gamer and someone who is a harsh and particular "critic", as well as a "graphics whore". It turned out extremely well. They included double-jumping, dodge and wall jumping as well.

There is more creativity, hence aesthetic, to this game than any other FPS I've played in recent times. More enjoyable than Crysis, even... though for many, that might not be saying much.

Gameplay feels perfect, graphics are gorgeous (especially on a high-end rig, but even on a mid to mid-high; I have two different rigs), it's extremely creative in terms of the vehicles and maps, has an excellent pace, and has a strong aesthetic all-around.

Honestly, if people are going to piss about the fucking UI, which isn't even that bad, or complain about the visuals or the gameplay, then that's just not coming out of even an objective standpoint. People make it sound "bad", and it's far from it. But, it's their loss, as they're missing out on an extremely enjoyable gaming experience. You might have played UT since the beginning, but so have I, and I'm finding that it doesn't feel like the "same old" at all. Yes, visuals do add to it, whether you like it/think so, or not. But the gameplay feels solid as well from every perspective, and there's so much creativity that obviously went into the visuals, maps and things in general, people just aren't giving it the credit it deserves.

If you actually play the game, the full retail version, you'll realize that the "stupid" UI etc. means nothing and that Epic actually put great work into making the game itself creative and enjoyable.

I've not had a single problem with widescreen, not a single problem or glitch in the visuals... no "over-bloom" etc. etc. ...the only problem I've had it that, a few times just trying to create an internet server, it crashed.

Otherwise, I run at 60+ FPS the whole time without a hitch on an 8800GTX, C2D E6700, 2GB Corsair Dominator RAM and a 22" widescreen Chimei monitor.
My wife's rig runs it just as well on a P4 3.6, x1900xtx, 2GB GSkill RAM and 19" monitor.

As someone who has been into UT since it's inception, and a life-long gamer, and hardcore FPS gamer, I'm telling you: it's worth the cash if you're into this type of shooter.

It really does feel like a mix between 99/2k4 except better, not just due to the "shiny new visuals" (which truly are gorgeous), but due to the extreme aesthetic and creativity to the game. The gameplay really does feel excellent and plays-out beautifully.

Sure, everything is a matter of "opinoin", to a degree, but that game itself is far from bad, and that's being objective. It's done really well.

There's more aesthetic, creativity and enjoyment in just one of the more creative Warfare maps, especially with the Necris vehicles, in look and feel (great atmosphere even to most of the maps), than in any part of Crysis, which I loved.

So, for the rest of you: here's a positive view and some detail on UT3... keep in mind too, that I originally thought it was going to be mediocre, at best. Glad I was wrong on that one.

To each is own, but there you have it.

/rant
 
P.S.

Here's IGN's summary, which does sum-up the game perfectly:

9.0 Presentation
Weak single player story. Outstanding feature set for match setup online or offline, though some may take issue with the menu system's appearance.
9.5 Graphics
Absolutely beautiful. Top-notch texture work, stunning animations and effects, and some really impressive maps.
9.0 Sound
Weapon effects make the sci-fi guns sound real. Ambient tracks fit the mood. And of course, "Rampage!"
9.0 Gameplay
Deathmatch feels really familiar at this point, but the added depth of warfare will keep you hooked. Still some of the best shooter controls out there.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
Lots of maps split across its six modes will keep you busy for some time, though your deathmatch experience may wear thin rather quickly.
9.0
Outstanding OVERALL

http://pc.ign.com/articles/837/837322p1.html
 
UT3 is same old, same old IMO. Plus, the Unreal 3 engine is a disappointment in it's self. It definitely doesn't live up to what we were shown a year ago or even more recently. Again, just my opinion.
 
Perhaps I am easily amused, and the fact that I 100% love the entire UT series, but I find UT 3 to be a solid installment in the series.

To steal IGN's summary review here is what I'd say:

Presentation
Single player "story" is pretty lame. Having to login to exit the game seems a little backwards. You can tell the menu system was created with the Console market in mind. As such its quite clunky. Having bought the collectors edition box, I can say that I feel underwhelmed by it. A art-book and a bonus content CD don't seem to be worth the price. The best selling point of the CE (I am not sure if this in the regular, if so then this point is mute) is the fact that you get a code for an unlockable character. Pretty neat since you can differentiate yourself from the rest of the community models.

Graphics
UT3 Engine = Win. Enough said in my opinon. I for one think this game is gorgeous from top to bottom.

Sound
Weapons sound great (though the machine gun sounds a bit weak). Explosions, exploding plasma cannons, nukes going off -- all ties together to make one hell of an experience.

Gameplay
Its a multiplayer shooter that is fast paced and delivers. Sure its just like UT2K4 etc etc, but what do you want? It builds on a working model. Why change something that works? I see folks finding themselves upset that it feels like older versions of UT, but in my opinion thats not a bad thing at all. UT has always been fast paced, kill or be killed action. UT 3 is much of the same, except really darn pretty. All of what you love is there, and what was best for me (And I literally cheered out loud at work) was seeing old great maps remade (Torlan FTW!).

Lasting Appeal
If you played UT2K4 for a long time, I suspect you'll be playing this a long time. Especially as the mod community gets to work on making custom maps and mutators. There is going to be a world of good stuff coming out of the community pretty soon I suspect.

I gave this game a 9.5 on my Gamespot Profile. I just love it, it is exactly what I wanted and expected. Not Evolutionary by any strech. Just a solid game that builds on a firm foundation and delivers fast paced shooter content.

I am content =)
 
Seriously, never decide weither a game is good from the DEMO. Only coplaint is the browser but hey, it will be fixed.

The game is AWESOME, the first game in a while where I play and notice how many hours I've wasted. Game just flies by when I'm having fun. Game feels like old ones, AWESOME graphics. The levels are hella fun, I actually feel like I'm better at this UT than other other ones I've played. I'm usually top 3 scorer in DM. Guns feel great, alot of good compeitions. I played with one guy yesterday who was INSANE. He had 30 kills with 1 death. I have a feeling alot of the old school ut99 players will enjoy this game ALOT.

Great Job on the game Epic, now just release the UI patch. :cool:
 
Only coplaint is the browser but hey, it will be fixed.

Great Job on the game Epic, now just release the UI patch. :cool:

Speaking of which, if you head over to the UT forums over at Epic the MOD community already has a beta version of a different UI. It has 4 different versions in the one pack if I recall, and they are all pretty nice. Worth a shot if you utterlly can't stand the default. :p
 
Speaking of which, if you head over to the UT forums over at Epic the MOD community already has a beta version of a different UI. It has 4 different versions in the one pack if I recall, and they are all pretty nice. Worth a shot if you utterlly can't stand the default. :p

If you're referring to this thread, that's just a preview of a work in progress; they don't have a release yet. I don't see any other threads about UI mods there.
 
I couldn't help myself and purchased it. I find myself really enjoying the game. :)
 
I thoroughly enjoy the game, it makes me feel as though I'm playing an updated clone of UT 99.

Do any of you know how to use the rocket launcher to use the rockets as grenades like you used to be able to in the prior series?
 
If you're referring to this thread, that's just a preview of a work in progress; they don't have a release yet. I don't see any other threads about UI mods there.

Blast, that was the one. Could have sworn I saw a beta release. O'well, at least the community is getting it rolling though. ;)
 
I preferred the gameplay of UT99 a little over UT2k3/4. I agree with previous posts that UT3 feels like an updated UT99. UT3 exceeded my expectations and I'm not disappointed after buying it. Looks great, plays great. Can't wait for custom maps by the UT community to come out.
 
Got it yesterday, really great game. Still has the classic UT feel and the new engine is great too. It has crashed a couple times though with my 1950PRO:confused:
 
Have not got it installed yet (raptor is full so defragging my external to get it installed to...

When I had my 1950 pro, the demo ran great and never had a problem with it. Now I have my 8800gt and can't wait to check it out.
 
Have not got it installed yet (raptor is full so defragging my external to get it installed to...

When I had my 1950 pro, the demo ran great and never had a problem with it. Now I have my 8800gt and can't wait to check it out.

I am able to play at highest at 1920x1200 res with my rig so I doubt if you'll have a problem.

I find this mod strangely addictive.

Sphere: As you hold right click hit left click twice. It should tell you you have selected grenade mode.
 
UT3 is same old, same old IMO. Plus, the Unreal 3 engine is a disappointment in it's self. It definitely doesn't live up to what we were shown a year ago or even more recently. Again, just my opinion.

Translation = UT3 is something completely different than every single other FPS out there today. ;)

There are only so many "realism" shooters that are slow as hell and noobtastic that I can stand. Finally we get back to the true super fast FPS where weapons fire where you are aiming!! And it doesn't force you to be "unique" by shoving classes down your throat (let your skill determine your uniqueness imo) Hooray! =D

Anyhow, I had no clue this game just came out... can't wait to get my hands on it when I get back to my apartment. I'm @ home right now so no PC.
 
Translation = UT3 is something completely different than every single other FPS out there today. ;)

There are only so many "realism" shooters that are slow as hell and noobtastic that I can stand. Finally we get back to the true super fast FPS where weapons fire where you are aiming!! And it doesn't force you to be "unique" by shoving classes down your throat (let your skill determine your uniqueness imo) Hooray! =D

Anyhow, I had no clue this game just came out... can't wait to get my hands on it when I get back to my apartment. I'm @ home right now so no PC.

My heart swells with joy to know that people like you still exist in the gaming world. ;p
 
Is Invasion going to ever be put back in? I loved invasion ever since it came out for UT99. :(
 
But why so few servers ? Makes me fear just a bit for the games future. COD4 and even FEAR is owning it in online players. I dont get that at all. Cod4 online is a damn blast but so is ut3.
 
My view on UT3 so far

- Graphics and feel is great.
- Maps seem kinda meh so far. Messy and nothing special
- Taunts / announcements / acting is lame, too censored taunts
- Slightly disappointing selection of gamemodes. only deathmatch attracts me really. i never liked gamemodes with vehicles in UT it doesnt belong and just aint fun imo. The Warfare gamemode is meh... I miss invasion, assault

Also i think they went a wrong direction with the singleplayer campaign. Now it's no longer a tournament or sport, now you're fighting a war trying to carry a story, much like any other fps. ie its about deactivating the enemys respawn machines so they die etc, so far this just feels wrong and weird. The original UT concept was cool because it was a sport and you fought in a league. Very cool and unique concept. I havent finished the campaign so this is not my final opinion about this.. I guess it could turn out to be pretty cool.

I had hoped for a better game, but its not done yet. Lets see what addons the community will bring.
 
I agree about the campaign, it's kind of bland. I also have no way of telling how far done I am, since the story isn't particularly clear. UT2004's single-player mode was the best out of all the games IMO.
 
I agree about the campaign, it's kind of bland. I also have no way of telling how far done I am, since the story isn't particularly clear. UT2004's single-player mode was the best out of all the games IMO.

Actually '04's singleplayer is too difficult because your teammates' AI is rediculously bad. UT99 had everything right if you ask me. Give UT99 with a graphical overhaul and some more gamemodes and you have a perfect UT game IMO.
 
+7 (LAN group)

I think one of the factors in why there are so few players online at the moment is... look at how many FPS games came out in the two weeks before UT3. Everyone's probably playing Crysis, TF2, or QW:ET.
 
Its cool for the most part but I the weapons are kinda annoying me. They feeled more overpowered IMO. Maybe its because im used to UT04 more and this is a change I have to get used to.

Flak Cannon - Is basically nerved, the balls are more closer to each other and kills alot faster

Link Gun - I like how the rate of fire is faster, but it also seems like the damage was also increased. I believe the damage should be lowered a bit but keep the rate of fire.

Bio Rifle - Feels the same

Rocket Launcher - feels the same

Redeemer - The damage radius is decreased from what I saw. The whole point of the redeemer was a big blast radius and instant death for anyone in it for anyone who was lucky enough to get it. Now your lucky enough to get a person or two in its blast radius.

Shock Rifle - feels the same except when you get hit. It seems like you get "blown or shocked" back alot farther then you did with UT04. Really not sure what to think of this yet. It is a shock rifle after all.

Mini Gun - I believe they should increase the rate of fire for the alternative fire. Its too slow imo. Obviously dont make it as fast as the regular fire as the shot is stonger but maybe just increase it a tad bit.

I also dont like what they done to the Torlan map. I am kinda pissed about that, Torlan was such a great map in UT04 and now its not that great at all. Just dont like the feel to it. Warfare seems kind stupid as well. I really dont like the Orb they put in it. Should just go back to classic onslaught IMO.

I also maybe being a little too picky since im so used to playing UT04 but these are the changes I noticed. Anyone else agree on them? Ill eventually get used to them, its just annoying at first.
 
I know what you mean about every weapon now being overpowered. The game is insanely fast, you just dont get this kind of speed and intensity with these kind of graphics. My big beef is the amount of people playing... It seemed that way with ut2004 too, most servers I joined had bots, the ut population seems to have dwindled big time. I dont see it growing very huge either with how popular cod4 seems to be and with counter-strike, tf2 ect.
 
I'm enjoying it...but it almost feels like it's a genre that's dying. It's fun, but it brings absolutely nothing new to the table at all. It's almost like a throwback to 5-6 years ago but with better graphics. I enjoy it, but I'm not sure I'm every customer. I'm curious to see how well it sells to be honest. I almost feel like I've moved on and this game is just some fun nostalgia.
 
i just wish they didn't go with the washed out gears of war look. is it supose to be cool?
 
I think that's partially just Epic's art direction. Besides, Gears is probably the most successful game they've ever had. I think it's odd how "squared and squat" everyone seems, but I don't mind the environment. I'd still appreciate a level that doesn't seem like it's in a wasteland, though.
 
Just got UT3 yesterday and I have to say that so far I like UT2004 better. Im hoping with a few patches that things will change for the better in the future.
 
Just as with UT99 to UT2K4, I didn't like the newer version. But I played, adpated, and it grew on me. Knowing this, UT3 is growing on me faster. Granted, I miss my dodge to jump dearly, but love the new hoverboards and the gameplay that brings in.

The weapons feel different. The flak is very different and has a learning curve to it. I know I won't be flipping back and forth between UT3 and UT2K4.
 
Back
Top