• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

UT3. So how is it?

Those of us who paid 50 dollars for the game deserve some kind of entertainment.

It's not our fault that it's more fun to bitch about the interface on an internet forum than it is to actually play the game :rolleyes:

If you don't enjoy the game, fair enough - I get that. It's the individuals who don't enjoy the game because of the interface that I am taking issue with.
 
Interface failure can equal game failure IMO. Here's an example:

A buddy of mine left his PS3 over here for me to play around with. Burnout Paradise does NOT seem to have an option to turn off the wreck/crash cam. Perhaps I'm a noob and it's there, but it detract from the game enough for me to shut it off and fire up Forza 2.

The demo and perhaps the full 1.1/1.2 beta patched UT3 have 2 sliders for texture and world detail. A 4yr old game in UT2K4 had a PAGE OF OPTIONS!!! The ability to configure and make the game your b1tch was there and it's a huge part of the experience. It's something that was there before, but is not now. THAT is what I am taking issue with.

Now the core game may well be fun, but given the uproar and EXTREME lack of servers compared to other games like COD4 and TF2 show there's a lack of interest. I can load up COD4 and have 10 servers pinging below 100 w/ exactly the map and number of players I'd like. In UT2K4, I can't even find an Instagib DM and that has proven gameplay!!

Hopefully Epic will get these issues resolved soon or no one is going to care...:eek::(
 
The demo and perhaps the full 1.1/1.2 beta patched UT3 have 2 sliders for texture and world detail. A 4yr old game in UT2K4 had a PAGE OF OPTIONS!!!

In light of recently released comments from Cliffy B, it's clear that we have Epic's focus on consoles to thank. I guess I'm lucky in that I can set everything to max (which I think looks good). I guess what I find frustrating is that unless something works just right there are some people who are simply not willing to make any effort to make it so. Tweaking the .INIs isn't a huge undertaking – after all we are [H], are we not?

The ability to configure and make the game your b1tch was there and it's a huge part of the experience. It's something that was there before, but is not now. THAT is what I am taking issue with.

It was a part of my experience for approx 30 secs - after that I was playing the game. Sure I may have gone back just to hear the announcer's comment when I whacked everything up to very high :D, but you get my drift.

WRT things disappearing, taking cars as an example - they've been simplified massively over the years. There's a lot going on in the background that the user doesn't need to be aware of (and more importantly, provide any input in to). I like being able to press one peddle for go & one for stop (I commute a lot). If my game settings can be approached in a similarly simplistic manner (and produce the desired results), great!
 
I find the game is way to quick at times and there is always one guy who sits at the top of the score chart round after round.
 
I have to say that I really enjoy this game. I bought it for PC and PS3. It runs perfect on high settings and the gameplay is fast and furious. It sucks that there aren't many people online, but I really only play deathmatch and I can at least find that. Fighting the bots is rewarding too. I haven't really palyed any Uneal in a long time, but I enjoy this encarnation.
 
I'm going to a LAN tonight/tomorrow. Someone's bound to have it, we'll see. Hopefully it's still LAN friendly and we can get a chance to evaluate the carnage.

What's your experiences w/ the beta 1.2 patch guys? What's the best mode? Map?
 
If you don't enjoy the game, fair enough - I get that. It's the individuals who don't enjoy the game because of the interface that I am taking issue with.

The interface is basically just a further insult added to the gameplay injuries that render this game an utter failure.

Vehicle handling KILLS this game, as does the lazy implementation of warfare (spheres?) and the elimination of dodge-jumps, etc...

To get frustrated and then be forced to stumble through the clumsy interface entering and leaving the game doesn't even allow you to ignore its other faults - it puts the whole problem right in front of your face.
 
I cant say I really like this game. Its Unreal Tournament but me and all my friends agree something is wrong with the aiming in the game.
 
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41038

Surprise surprise....the PS3 version has the exact same UI as the PC version. :rolleyes:

And for an update on player count.....200 people worldwide are currently playing UT3. The online community is shrinking at an exponential rate

The confusing part is why people try to blame this on consoles. All of us know that consoles are limited by their buttons and that their users typically prefer streamlined UIs instead of complex ones.

A good developer would take the tastes of both demographics into account and design their UI accordingly. You can't blame consoles for a developer being too lazy to fix their own UI.
 
The confusing part is why people try to blame this on consoles. All of us know that consoles are limited by their buttons and that their users typically prefer streamlined UIs instead of complex ones.

A good developer would take the tastes of both demographics into account and design their UI accordingly. You can't blame consoles for a developer being too lazy to fix their own UI.

Actually in this case, its pretty easy because the PS3 and the PC have the exact same UI's. It is really obvious Epic catered this game to the PS3 and didn't even bother to change any of it to make it work better for the PC. UT3 really is a console port...
 
Well patch didn't fix the game, this is going to be a bigger bomb then tribes V
 
People would probably not rant so much about this game being a console port as much if they had developed the cross format compatibility they had rumored about during development. If they could have taken it a step further, and added a PC player vs. PS3 player compatibility mode, they would be pioneers. Instead they have been close-minded about their user base and dumbed down both the PC version and the PS3 version. They could have at least shipped the PS3 version with a full speed option for Key/Mouse users and added a few menu tweaks for PC users. Aside from the game not living up to the rumors/hype during development, I am enjoying it about as much as I enjoy UT2K4.
 
I cant say I really like this game. Its Unreal Tournament but me and all my friends agree something is wrong with the aiming in the game.

I felt the same way. The default aimming is off. Check the link below for the fix.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1283504&highlight=ut3

After fixing the controls, UT3 is 100 times more enjoyable. For me it turned a meh game, into an excellent game that feels like its part of the Unreal game series.
 
Back
Top