• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Using Newegg Reviews for buying?

Should I use Newegg reviews to make buying decisions?

  • YES

    Votes: 8 20.5%
  • NO

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • MAYBE

    Votes: 22 56.4%

  • Total voters
    39
  • Poll closed .

Computurd

Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
956
Do you think that i should use the newegg buyer reviews to make decisions about which manufacturer of products i should choose?
 
Depends on the product type whether or not I personally rely on Newegg reviews. I pretty much ignore all Newegg reviews on PSUs and RAM. I take with a grain of salt Newegg reviews on cases, motherboards, GPUs, SSDs, and hard drives. I'll give a bit more credibility to Newegg reviews regarding TV tuners and storage controllers.
 
My experience has been such that the more I know about any given product the more I realize that Newegg reviewers know jack-all... hence an unhealthy addiction to a certain few tech forums.
 
It depends. For stuff like QA (like some of Zotac's Intel Chipset mITX LGA775 boards), then I will rely on the reviews. For anything else, more or less, I will rely on forums and reviews.
 
I use the newegg reviews for video cards.. people love to complain so they will tell you if the fan is loud..
 
I use newegg ratings as part of the decision to buy for most computer purchases even for work purchases where I can not buy from newegg anymore.
 
I do use the newegg reviews, but only if amazon reviews, forums and other info on the net backs the info up.
 
I sort by helpfulness and read a few since these are (usually) people who know what they are talking about. Then I check the number of 1 or 2 eggs and look over those for trends. It is usually pretty easy to see if a product/or a batch/firmware is bad. Also remember that most people are more likely to take the time to write a review if they are pissed, so the rating percentages will always be skewed.

The thing newegg does that pro reviews cannot is show the results of a large number of people's experiences..
 
They have their place. Just use it as another datapoint rather than your sole source of information. An expert review will never tell you if a product has a tendency to fail in 6 months, but a user review will.

Edit: Does that put me in the "maybe" pile?
 
They have their place. Just use it as another datapoint rather than your sole source of information. An expert review will never tell you if a product has a tendency to fail in 6 months, but a user review will.

Edit: Does that put me in the "maybe" pile?

thats kinda the way I see it & I voted maybe.
 
The newegg reviews contain practical information you don't really find anywhere else.
"Wouldn't fit in my case/blocks access to something else" -> remember to check my case before buying
"Wouldn't work with my cpu" -> make sure I have a spare CPU around to flash the bios
"Came broken" -> pay extra for fedex or buy somewhere else
"Wouldn't work with X" -> do a quick search for other reports of weird compatibility issues
"Drivers suck" -> Use the generic driver first
 
Not no, but HELL NO!

For every "good" review, there are at least a dozen reviews that are bad, confusing, or just plain pointless. And the bulk of the reviews criticizing a component don't go into enough detail for someone to determine whether the part in question was bad or the reviewer couldn't find his head from his ass.

And don't get me started on the "eggs." Lately, I've seen five-egg reviews that are nothing but lists of complaints about the product, NewEgg, and/or anything else under the sun.

No one should ever use NewEgg reviews -- or the reviews from just about any online retailer -- as their sole source for information on whether or not a certain part is reliable.
 
I read them but do not make my buying decision based off of them. However, if 30 people are reporting a defective drive then I will take that into account.
 
Nope. I use [H], AnandTech, Toms Hardware, Guru3D, X-bit Labs and JonnyGuru primarily. I browse the prices of the components I want then turn to these websites for reviews and the product I buy is based one what these reviews find.

That way works out best especially if youre on a budget because objective reviews like above, can tell you better if a medium priced component is actually a good value. A $300 motherboard is gonna be a good motherboard pretty much regardless. But an $80 motherboard might be a gem in the rough or an absolute turd. A guy that reviews motherboards all day is in a better position to tell me which one this particular $80 mobo is as opposed to some dude that simply thinks "Asus sucks" or "MSI sucks" or whatever.

I built my entire rig based on these reviews and I definitely got my money's worth and then some.

At first I tried reading the user reviews but there were too many morons trashing a product because they got one that was DOA, or because it stopped working when they tried to feed 3 volts to the CPU or something retarded like that. Id rather get my info from experienced professionals.
 
I didn't vote because... yes and no.

Yes in the sense that when you are looking for a product, you filter by Most reviews. Why? Because this is where most people have gone, and the rating you see on the product should give you an "overall majority feel" for it (which doesn't necessarily mean it is entirely accurate, but has some level of precision and accuracy).

No because there are a lot of newbs that have no idea what they're talking about, yet give themselves an "Expert / way above average" rating for knowledge/experience.

Ultimately, after you have configured yourself a custom PC, you can seek for additional advice and recommendations from forums like.. [H]ardForum :p That's how I built my previous rig, and I honestly think that's the best that I could have built for $x monies worth.
 
Back
Top