USB 3.0 Preview @ [H]

Why won't these devices be backwards compatible? Very curious. Physically the same wires are used for BC, so it has to be in the USB stack then? Lack of BC with USB 2 OHCI/UHCI?

I'm afraid I don't know enough about it but it seems to be related to audio devices. The USB transport I have is called the M2Tech Hiface and it has a very advanced asynchrous USB protocol with the max 480mbs used of usb2 for 24 bit 192khz audio, it won't work with the USB 3.0 NEC chipset. The MagicJack phone I imagine is also a fairly advanced protocol and it won't work either. When you plug either in the driver loads up but thats it, no sound.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about it but it seems to be related to audio devices. The USB transport I have is called the M2Tech Hiface and it has a very advanced asynchrous USB protocol with the max 480mbs used of usb2 for 24 bit 192khz audio, it won't work with the USB 3.0 NEC chipset. The MagicJack phone I imagine is also a fairly advanced protocol and it won't work either. When you plug either in the driver loads up but thats it, no sound.

I see :( that's kind of sloppy. I wonder if it's just a glitch in the NEC chipset, and that the upcoming Intel and AMD implementations will fix it?

What about eSATA? :)

I thought about this and I am guessing that eSATA will work with just one storage device and USB3 will tend to work with more different devices at the same time with a driver. Looks like we still in the early stages for manufactures to adopt to the standard.

I thought about this and I am guessing that eSATA will work with just one storage device and USB3 will tend to work with more different devices at the same time with a driver. Looks like we still in the early stages for manufactures to adopt to the standard.

You can turn each SATA connection on one's mainboard into an eSATA connection, and there are even SATA splitters if you really want to hook up more drives :)

I guess that one of the concerns I have will USB3 be any faster than eSATA? What kind of products will really showoff the advantages of USB3?

This was written in one of the comments have you tried it?

" I had to disable the 'USB 3.0 power management functions' in the Renesas USB 3.0 Host controller Utility to make it work. Since then everything works great and the USB transfer rates are as fast as my internal SATA disks!"

The thing with USB 3.0 is that not much product support it, like I search for USB 3.0 flash drive, there are not many choice and they are kinda over priced.

is there a USB 3.0 benchmark comparison from the various mobos using different USB 3 controller?
thanks.

Back