USB 3.0 Preview @ [H]

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by FrgMstr, Dec 11, 2009.

1. glen

glen Limp Gawd

USB 3.0 isn't backwards compatible with all devices. The popular MagicJack for instance won't work with USB 3.0. Also several high end USB to digital audio transports don't work with it. So unless the makers of these devices all develop new drivers (firmware?) people won't be happy with their new USB 3.0 only computers. I wonder if an old PCI USB 2.0 addin card would take care of this issue as I am sure many of the small high end audio makers won't be updating firmware or even drivers as it is expensive for small companies.

2. Elledan

Elledan [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010

Why won't these devices be backwards compatible? Very curious. Physically the same wires are used for BC, so it has to be in the USB stack then? Lack of BC with USB 2 OHCI/UHCI?

3. bwbob

bwbob Limp Gawd

I've seen some newer external drives that support USB3 (and 2) - I can see that the speed advantage of an external USB3 drive would be nice for large backups, mine run for hours now on USB2

4. Elledan

What about eSATA? :)

5. glen

glen Limp Gawd

I'm afraid I don't know enough about it but it seems to be related to audio devices. The USB transport I have is called the M2Tech Hiface and it has a very advanced asynchrous USB protocol with the max 480mbs used of usb2 for 24 bit 192khz audio, it won't work with the USB 3.0 NEC chipset. The MagicJack phone I imagine is also a fairly advanced protocol and it won't work either. When you plug either in the driver loads up but thats it, no sound.

6. Elledan

I see :( that's kind of sloppy. I wonder if it's just a glitch in the NEC chipset, and that the upcoming Intel and AMD implementations will fix it?

7. jack57

jack57 Limp Gawd

I thought about this and I am guessing that eSATA will work with just one storage device and USB3 will tend to work with more different devices at the same time with a driver. Looks like we still in the early stages for manufactures to adopt to the standard.

8. Elledan

You can turn each SATA connection on one's mainboard into an eSATA connection, and there are even SATA splitters if you really want to hook up more drives :)

9. jack57

jack57 Limp Gawd

I guess that one of the concerns I have will USB3 be any faster than eSATA? What kind of products will really showoff the advantages of USB3?

10. buckweat420

buckweat420 n00b

I recently bought this enclosure since my laptop and desktop both have USB 3.0 and I was not able to get more then 30MB/s. I even plugged in a OCZ Vertex 2 into the enclosure but still never reached anything higher then 30MB/s.

Maybe you just get what you pay for, or I was doing something wrong, but beware of this enclosure.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182222

11. Makaveli@BETA

Makaveli@BETA 2[H]4U

This was written in one of the comments have you tried it?

" I had to disable the 'USB 3.0 power management functions' in the Renesas USB 3.0 Host controller Utility to make it work. Since then everything works great and the USB transfer rates are as fast as my internal SATA disks!"

12. innermoon

innermoon Limp Gawd

The thing with USB 3.0 is that not much product support it, like I search for USB 3.0 flash drive, there are not many choice and they are kinda over priced.

13. unclerunkle

unclerunkle [H]Lite

Time will solve that one innermoon. Just look how USB 2.0 took off.

14. sblantipodi

sblantipodi 2[H]4U

is there a USB 3.0 benchmark comparison from the various mobos using different USB 3 controller?
    thanks.

15. ciaphuas

ciaphuas [H]Lite