• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

UPS for ~750W sump pump

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
2FA
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
14,572
My basement flooded last summer, and I learned the hard way the value of having some sort of backup for the sump pump :(

So, I'm looking at my options, but I don't really know a lot about this area.

I measured my pump's power draw using a kill-a-watt at about 750W

I found this APC unit, BR1500 + a BR24BP extended battery pack. $370 for all that seems to make sense for me. APC's site says that'll get me 21 minutes of runtime, which, since the pump wouldn't be running constantly (let's hope), should get me a few hours of backup time.

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR24BP-Battery-Pack-BR1500/dp/B00009Q97G

Any thoughts?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why not just install a regular battery back up sump pump system? It will cost around the same or a lot less depending on model. They run longer and work much better then a UPS would. The smaller models only run about $150 and should work for most peoples needs.
 
The cost is actually roughly the same, judging by what Home Depot sells, anyway.

Also, in our emotional response to our basement flooding, we hurried out and bought the pumps and had them installed. And we bought big ones. Two of them.

Yes, I have a bad basement. It's a long story, and somewhat interesting (IMHO) if anybody cares. Safe to say, we're in pretty good shape now.
 
UPS's for computer systems are not designed to run AC pumps.

Will it work, yes, but the "stepped" wave output of the less expensive UPS's will cause problems with an AC motor.

If you want to use a high-end UPS with "True Sine Wave" under battery, it should be ok, but very expensive!
 
portable gas generator is what you need. Check out a Honda. You won't be disappointed.
 
Portable gas generators generally don't start themselves when you're away from home unless you're talking about a serious whole-home setup. Your basement can flood whether you're there or not.

To the OP: I'd suggest looking at a domestic water pressure backup system instead - no power required. Some people still use these even when they have battery backup. I don't have a sump pump so I don't have a collection of links for you.

The idea here is that they use the water pressure of the domestic water supply to spin a "turbine" which runs a backup pump to clear your sump. Both the domestic water and sump water are dumped outside.

These systems often have their own separate float switch which is set higher than the electric system so it's always ready to go but should never kick in unless something is wrong with the main pump.

This covers you even if your main pump fails while the power is on. I'd seriously go this way instead of looking for computer hardware if I had a sump pump.
 
Get a battery back up sump pump from Zoeller or Wayne. It will also function as a backup in case your primary fails. Get a Universal Battery 90Ah or so battery. (You can go bigger but the battery box that comes with the Wayne ESP15, which I have, doesn't fit bigger, at least). Doesn't have to be Universal Battery brand, though it's a good brand, but make sure to at least get an AGM battery. MUCH more durable than flooded cell or gel.
 
Back
Top