Upgrading 980Ti

The Donut

2[H]4U
Hey all,

I've currently got 2x980Ti in SLI, most of the time SLI is disabled because of all sorts of issues.

I'm starting to struggle to hit top performance on some of the latest games, even at 1080P and I'm looking to upgrade to a single card solution without spending a fortune.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what would be a good upgrade that isn't spending £1,000 on the flagship card?

Currently playing:
* Call of Duty MW
* Outer Worlds
* Apex Legends
etc

Thanks in advance!

Everything that is in 1080Ti performance range (RTX 2070/2080, RX 5700/XT) is going to be a good upgrade as that'll provide ~40=60% more performance. Only the 2080Ti will bring that up to about 100%+, with a few games that are especially fast on Turing going beyond that.

980TI should do decently on 1080P since that's essentially a 1070. What are the rest of your specs?

Reactions: DF-1
like this
980TI should do decently on 1080P since that's essentially a 1070. What are the rest of your specs?

ASRock Z170+ Motherboard
Intel i7-6700
16GB Memory

Outer Worlds etc in 1080P is rarely above 60FPS.

A nice Gsync monitor. I've been seeing deals in the 400 to $600 range for large 1440P 120 to 144Hz monitors, and since real gsync monitors operate from extremely low FPS to it's highest refresh rate (where you can FPS limit to a few FPS below the top), you can have buttery smooth gameplay and no screen tearing with older or new mid-range Nvidia GPUs.

Sub - $250 - GTX 1660 Super
$300 - RX 5700
$400 - RX 5700XT
$500 - 2070 Super

Personally, I think raytracing is a gimmick on anything below high end cards, so I wouldn't pay extra for it. The best "value" is the RX 5700 flashed with the XT bios as it is within 3% of a regular XT and within 15% of a 2070 Super on average.

If you sell your 980Tis for say $350-400, you aren't even looking at any out of pocket cost.

i'd go with 5700xt as its best deal for the buck at this moment. | but if you like nv then 2070 super or 1080ti (if you can snipe a cheap one on ebay)

2080Super and a 1440p G-Sync/Freesync monitor.

My 980Ti's are watercooled using the eVGA water cooling kit.

I've no idea what, if anything, I'd get for them if I sold them.

Budget is probably $400-ish. I'm not opposed to AMD, but it's been a long time since I swapped sides!

Thanks for everyones input so far,

Budget is probably $400-ish. I'm not opposed to AMD, but it's been a long time since I swapped sides!

Obviously your current setup was state of the art when you got it, giving you great performance with the titles available then.

$400 is not going to give you that with today's titles. Good, yes, but not comparable to the experience you had.

So with $400 cash and selling of the 980Ti's you should be in the ballpark of $700-800. With that you can either get a used 2080Ti (if you can find one) or a 2080 super.

I went form a single 980ti to a 1080ti and got a significant up tick for vr in regards to lower latency and consistent 90fps. You might be close in you budget to where they are selling in the fs forum. That being said, the 2080/2070 super/ maybe 5700xt is about on par with it discounting the ray tracing stuff. Also keep in mind that is in the US and ymmv.

Have you tried pushing your 980ti, when on water and oc'd they used to be closer to 1080 non it's and could take a ton of punishment. Depending on your config, which might even mean finding the cherry card and removing the other you might be able to get the GPU clocks up past 1500mhz. Also could it be something in you games where you hit the 6gb mem limit?

Whether its AMD or NV, getting something current will be a bit better. Those old 980ti while still good at 1080p, they are missing current tech like hevc, 10bit support, efficiency, improved architecture, etc etc. I've got two 980ti on blocks too, but I retired them to my kids comps, yea they be looped too. Still those 980ti are power hungry and hot as hell were it not for the blocks. Someday I'll too have to retire them.

1080TI is your "value champion" if you're ok going used. You're looking at 2080-level performance (especially when Oc'ed) for $400-450.

Get a 2070 Super if you're buying new. I switched from the 980 Ti to the regular 2070 and it made a significant difference, not only with FPS but also less noise and lower temps. Kicked myself a bit for not waiting until they launched the 2070 Super, which is a much better deal.

Reactions: Auer
like this
The 2070 Super squeezed by the 1080ti in RDR2 benches

I'm not opposed to AMD, but it's been a long time since I swapped sides!

It's funny you say that. I've had a run of several generations of Nvidia in a row and am now just coming back to AMD again. 5700 series was just too good price/performance wise. You pretty much get a 2080 class gpu for under 400 dollars, which is pretty crazy considering how broken crypto left the market in general.

I'm actually glad to be giving AMD a try again and back into their ecosystem. They've come a long way in the last 5 years!

It's funny you say that. I've had a run of several generations of Nvidia in a row and am now just coming back to AMD again. 5700 series was just too good price/performance wise. You pretty much get a 2080 class gpu for under 400 dollars, which is pretty crazy considering how broken crypto left the market in general.

I'm actually glad to be giving AMD a try again and back into their ecosystem. They've come a long way in the last 5 years!

LOL

Silly question then, as I'll be completely honest I've no idea at this point.

Any idea how much these cards are worth, if I were to try and sell on FS/T? They are MSI cards with an EVGA closed loop water kit installed on both - each card works fine without issue.

Itll be alot easier to sell them if you have the heatsinks. Wced cards are harder to sell especially older gen. You should be able to get somewhere in the range of $175- $250. Just depends how fast you want them to sell. You will likely have people asking to have the cards heatsink reinstalled(why i mentioned it earlier).
I have both of my 980tis running in secondary rigs. I rarely sell my old gpus by themselves. I cycle them thru my other systems until i sell one with a complete rig.
Hope that helps!

a 980ti is overkill for a 1080p monitor unless your going for ray tracing (which currently is in it's infancy.)

a 980ti is overkill for a 1080p monitor unless your going for ray tracing (which currently is in it's infancy.)
A 980ti is most certainly not overkill at 1080p for some of the newer games especially for high refresh. Ray tracing is irrelevant since that GPU doesn't properly support it anyway.

Back