Upgrades for Dangman!!

Dangman

Ninja Editor SuperMod
It's time now.

The Background:
After receiving an Antec Truepower New 750W from Antec as part of my Antec Lanboy review a few months ago, it got me thinking: it's been a while since I've upgraded the guts of my PC. In fact, the last major upgrade was the PNY 8800GT I bought back in 2008. The main guts of the PC, the CPU/mobo/RAM/PSU was bought back in April of 2007. Since then it's just been HDD upgrades/additions.

Basically, I'm a tad overdue for an update.

But due to some unfortunate financial issues, I won't be able to do as quite of a large upgrade as I did back in 2007 in terms of costs and performance from a P4 2.53Ghz + 1.5GB RAM + 9800 Pro setup. So no $1000 to $1200 upgrade here sadly :( My budget for these upgrades will be about $600 give or take. And yes I will be posting pics of these upgrades :)

However like Tiraides, I won't be upgrading just my PC. I also plan on upgrading a few other items while I'm at it. I'm aiming to do most of my upgrades throughout this month and the next.

The Plan:
My plans so far in no special order:
  1. Upgrade my video card. Fallout 3, BFBC2, Borderlands, and Batman: AA pretty much pushed my 8800GT to its limit at 1440x900. Unfortunately one of my 19” monitors died and I ended up getting a 20” monitor with a res of 1600x900 this past Black Friday. That's made things a little unbearable in the GPU department. So now I’m looking at the GTX 460 1GB, HD 5850, or HD 6850 as those cards are within my budget, depending on whichever is cheaper or is the better deal later this month.
  2. Upgrade my CPU/mobo/RAM/HSF. Again, Fallout 3, BFBC2, Borderlands, and Batman: AA pretty much pushed my E6400 @ 3.2Ghz to its limits. In addition, running two Eve Online clients was rather CPU and RAM heavy as well. So basically, I was looking at a new quad-core CPU.
  3. Turn my current PC into a Hyper-V server for learning purposes. Since I do want to cut down on power usage and because I want to use that 8800GT in my backup gaming PC, I'm planning on picking up an ATI X300 or X600 off eBay for $10 to $15 shipped. I already have a spare NSK4480 case, the Corsair 520HX, and a 160GB drive for the OS. I'll also be picking up a 1TB or 2TB drive depending on the sale and a PCI-E x1 Intel NIC for this Hyper-V server. Long-term wise, if all goes well with this, I’m moving my WHS server to the Hyper-V server.
  4. Add a gigabit switch. The Verizon FIOs router that I have only has 10/100mbps and that's just too slow for me. I constantly move files from my PC to my server every week.

The Research/Execution:
Now for plan #2, I’ve actually started on that already: I recently bought a Phenom II X3 720 that was proven to be a stable unlocked quad-core for $80 shipped off the forums here. Also I jumped on that G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM deal for $110 shipped from Newegg. Finally since A) I live in California where it does get a bit warm to say the least and B) I plan to overclock, I also picked up the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ HSF.

Now I’m missing one part: The motherboard. Here is where I’m undecided about. My motherboard requirements are the following:
  • Two PCI-E x16 slots so that I can A) do Crossfire, B) do that SLI hack whenever it gets updated for the later Nvidia cards, or C) Let me use 3-4 monitors via a second video card. No, I don’t particularly trust AMD’s displayport to DVD/VGA adapters.
  • At least six SATA ports. I’m using 5 SATA ports on my current motherboard already and I use the 6th port to hook up other people’s hard drives when I need to test or pull data off it. So six minimum here.
  • Six rear USB ports.
  • One PCI-E x1 slot directly above the first PCI-E x16 slot for a future Intel PCI-E x1 NIC upgrade
  • All six SATA ports must be parallel to the motherboard itself. With the way my P180 case is, having the SATA ports parallel to the motherboard makes it easier for cable management.
  • Good overclocker.
  • Support for unlocking my Phenom II X3 720

The enthusiast in me say get the Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AMD 890GX Motherboard for $125 shipped from Amazon.com (I have a $10 promo code there). It meets every single one of my requirements and has extra features as well: The SATA 6.0Gb/s for whenever I decide to get a SSD, the onboard video that’ll serve as both a backup video as well as output for a third monitor, shown to be a very good overclocker, two extra SATA ports, etc.

But the cheap-skate Asian in me says get the MSI 870-G45 AMD 770 Motherboard for $60 shipped from Newegg since it also meets most of my requirements. For something that cheap, it OC's relatively well and can unlock AMD CPUs. Saves me $60 that can help cover the costs of the video card upgrade.

Argh. Sucks to be near broke sometimes :(.

Anyway that’s all for now. I’ll update this thread when I start getting more parts in. Any thoughts/criticism are welcome.

Total:
$80 - Phenom II X3 720 CPU unlocked to quad-core
$27 - Coolermaster Hyper 212+ HSF
$110 - G.Skill 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
----
$217 shipped

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree with you there it really sucks being broke. when i had my x3 720 i loved the chip. it unlocked without any voltage tweaks at all.

What video card do you plan on grabbing when all said and done?

edit: you know this just as I do bro. If your going to build, Build what you want now because you might regret buying the board that doesnt fit your needs in the long run. Just as I did. I build my Rig below and decided to skimp on the CPU & I regret going with my Rana over a phenom x3 because it doesnt unlock

What video card do you plan on grabbing when all said and done?

Still debating that actually. In terms of drivers and support, I've had good luck/experience with both Nvidia and AMD. With that said, I've noticed that Nvidia tends to release driver updates a little more frequently than AMD does. I'm looking for a minimum of a three year warranty from a reputable manufacturer (So Sapphire is out) and good customer support. Power consumption isn't a huge deal to me but cooling and noise level is.

The HD 6850 is a little faster than the GTX 460 1GB but the HD 6850 cards tends to be a little more expensive if you want one from a reputable manufacturer. However more apps do take advantage of Nvidia's CUDA better than AMD's Stream SDK.

Yeah still debating. It's gonna come down to all the little things you get when you buy a video card.

edit: you know this just as I do bro. If your going to build, Build what you want now because you might regret buying the board that doesnt fit your needs in the long run. Just as I did. I build my Rig below and decided to skimp on the CPU & I regret going with my Rana over a phenom x3 because it doesnt unlock
There is that.

Danny Bui, i am about to put together a somewhat similar system to what you are considering, will let you know once i get it all running, should be wednesday next week

Just remembered that I got the CPU a few days ago and the HSF earlier today. So a picture as promised:
IMG_7456.jpg

IMG_7457.jpg

IMG_7464.jpg

Last edited:
I would save up until you have enough to get the parts you want now.
Especially on a MOBO (something you dont upgrade often), I would go for the better board now, as it will make your life that much easier over the course of its lifetime.

I skimped and bought a Gigabyte X48-DS4 over a much better Asus board. Worst decision of my build, I would have rather run with 2gb of ram than that POS gigabyte board.
2-3 years later, paid 20% more for the same ASUS board and I fell in love with it the second I unboxed it. Couldn't break 3.0ghz with the gigabyte, dropped the Asus in and had it running at 3.8ghz with absolutely no issues. Gigabyte also wouldnt run my DDR2 properly at 1066 speed. Basically, a shitty MOBO will taint your new build (at least to me).

Why not use onboard video until you can pony up the $60 for a better GPU? Or use the 8800 for a little longer (prices might come down on the 69xx ATI cards by then as well).

Last edited:
I would save up until you have enough to get the parts you want now.
Especially on a MOBO (something you dont upgrade often), I would go for the better board now, as it will make your life that much easier over the course of its lifetime.
No I have the money to get all the parts I want now. I'm just trying to make absolutely sure that I'm not wasting any money here. But point taken about the motherboard.

Why not use onboard video until you can pony up the $60 for a better GPU? Or use the 8800 for a little longer (prices might come down on the 69xx ATI cards by then as well).
Like I said, I can spend the extra cash if I need to and still be able to get a $200 card. But like I said, I want to make sure that I'm not wasting money here.

But yeah, the Gigabyte is definitely in the running. I still have until Sunday night to order. Amazon.com/USPS don't ship till the weekdays anyway.

I personally regret going back to ATI with a passion. i am converting back to nvidia. Ive never experienced any issues with them ever. I feel that ati isnt about the gamer at all where nvidia is all about the gamer.

If it was me id go 460 or 470. also about MSI i have seen some horror stories lately bout MSI boards starting on fire so that right there makes me very wary about buying MSI

Why not wait till xmas on the video card atleast. Ive seen 470s at 150 bucks for the turkey day sale so im sure xmas will be kick ass

If it was me id go 460 or 470. also about MSI i have seen some horror stories lately bout MSI boards starting on fire so that right there makes me very wary about buying MSI

Yeah I read those stories too. But like all things on the net, I have a bit of skepticism about those stories.

Nice to finally see you with a build thread of your own.

I have to agree with everyone else here that you should "splurge" (if you could even call it that) on the motherboard. It will likely be the one part you'll be least willing to "upgrade" later.

Nice pics of the Hyper 212 Plus... at least you learned from my mistakes.

Based on the thought process in this thread, something tells me that you're leaning towards the GTX 460... maybe?

And before I forget, kudos on the "gift" from Antec. It's about time that you were properly rewarded for your work here.

(D'oh! I need to update my upgrading thread.... :eek: )

Last edited:
It made me do a double take when I say you doing a build thread.. I would give my opinion on video card, but you can probably guess it.

Based on the thought process in this thread, something tells me that you're leaning towards the GTX 460... maybe?
Yeah I'm leaning there.
Nice pics of the Hyper 212 Plus... at least you learned from my mistakes.
That I did :)
And before I forget, kudos on the "gift" from Antec. It's about time that you were properly rewarded for your work here.
Thank you, man.
It made me do a double take when I say you doing a build thread.. I would give my opinion on video card, but you can probably guess it.

I think I can :)

Also I just ordered the Gigabyte motherboard :) Now I just gotta find a good deal on a video card and I'll be set for parts 1 and 2 of my plan.

Danny set up a paypal donate link. I think I speak for a lot of [H] users when I say I owe you for all the excellent advice.

Im with this. If the Gigabyte board is what gives you wood, thats what you should go for. Nothing worse than buyers remorse. Besides, since the motherboard is the foundation for not only your current setup but also determines your future upgrades as well, dont skimp. ;)

Nvidia 460 1GB.

Any more than that would be overkill.

Ati's drivers are such a hassle nowadays.

You deserve it. Besides, what good is all that knowledge if you can't apply some of it for yourself. :D

I just hope you have better luck than me once it's built...

Also I just ordered the Gigabyte motherboard :) Now I just gotta find a good deal on a video card and I'll be set for parts 1 and 2 of my plan.

you just missed the MSI Hawk 460GTX 1GB deal for $159, same as me

when i went to order my parts though they had a card, the Talon Attack version that was the same price as the regular Hawk ($214), but based on the specs and reviews and the fact it still has overclocking headroom with badass stock cooling, i had to bite...

But due to some unfortunate financial issues, I won't be able to do as quite of a large upgrade as I did back in 2007

If you received a nickle for each excellent post, or piece of advice you've posted here, you could afford a SR-2 with Dual Xeons, Quad 580s, a RAID-6 of SSDs, 48 GB RAM, Triple 30" Dells, and a couple of AX-1200s to power everything up.

Good Luck to you.

Saphire 5870 for $250 shipped + $30 MIR.

That would put you right at $600 (not counting the $30 MIR) with enough GPU muscle to last you a few years.

Danny already said Saphire was out because he wanted a 3 year warranty. And if he was going to go for a Saph the 6850 for 155 AR is a hell of alot better buy. Though Danny you could always go for that & get the newegg extended warranty (20 bucks for the extra year).

Also.. I have had no issues with AMD's drivers in some time other then a SC2 bug that the mouse cursor changes occasionally. Doesn't seem to happen in any other games & after the most recent sc2 patch I have only seen it once.

Saphire 5870 for $250 shipped + $30 MIR.

That would put you right at $600 (not counting the $30 MIR) with enough GPU muscle to last you a few years.

seriously? with all the other options for less $$ you choose that?

btw, Sapphire has the absolute worst customer service period. there's so many horror stories about them not even honoring the warranty they do give....let alone for any extended period of time. they fail at doing anything at all. you couldn't give me a sapphire card cause i'd sell that hunk and get something else

btw, Sapphire has the absolute worst customer service period. there's so many horror stories about them not even honoring the warranty they do give....let alone for any extended period of time. they fail at doing anything at all. you couldn't give me a sapphire card cause i'd sell that hunk and get something else

Ya know the same can be said for any Major Manufacturer.. Customer service is very much a YMMV thing,.

Ya know the same can be said for any Major Manufacturer.. Customer service is very much a YMMV thing,.

mmm...normally yes, you are right, but there have been a few instances i have read about where Sapphire straight up didn't do right by the customer, one of them was well documented here, i think someone from this site may have even gotten involved

so while you are right, i would have to say the number of people with horror stories dealing with Sapphire are far far greater than most other companies, IMO

Thank you for the kind words, everyone! No need for that Paypal donation link. Fairly sure that might be in poor taste or something like that. Either way, not necessary :)

My thoughts on Sapphire: I usually only recommend them as a last resort option. After dealing with them myself years back, I don't want to buy any more Sapphire cards. With that said, as bastage noted, customer service is YMMV so while I may have had a bad experience with Sapphire support, I'll still recommend them to others since they'll probably have better luck than I did.

mmm...normally yes, you are right, but there have been a few instances i have read about where Sapphire straight up didn't do right by the customer, one of them was well documented here, i think someone from this site may have even gotten involved

so while you are right, i would have to say the number of people with horror stories dealing with Sapphire are far far greater than most other companies, IMO

I have read more complaints for XFX then anyone.. & They are considered among the best.. That also said They sell more cards to members here so.. & if you want horror stories, I think OCZ takes the cake, yet people (myself included) keep buying there shit because of price.

Yeah I do because all those cheaper options are slower cards. I don't know of anything faster for $220 (after MIR).

Can't speak to this as I've never dealt with their CS but I personally don't read any more negative comments about Sapphire than I do anybody else. Actually the only brand I consistently hear rave reviews about is EVGA.

If I had a spare $250 lying around, I'd grab this in a heartbeat.

Yeah I do because all those cheaper options are slower cards. I don't know of anything faster for $220 (after MIR).

Can't speak to this as I've never dealt with their CS but I personally don't read any more negative comments about Sapphire than I do anybody else. Actually the only brand I consistently hear rave reviews about is EVGA.

If I had a spare $250 lying around, I'd grab this in a heartbeat.

a GTX 460 1Gb card is typically faster or at least as fast, runs cooler and costs as much or even much less depending on which model you choose, they were $159 with MIR, even today they are

$149 after MIR

or heck, even if one was a die hard AMD fan, they could get a HD6870 for $199 after MIR

the 5870 is grossly overpriced even at $250

a GTX 460 1Gb card is typically faster or at least as fast, runs cooler and costs as much or even much less depending on which model you choose, they were $159 with MIR, even today they are

$149 after MIR

the 5870 is grossly overpriced even at $250

I love how you Fan Boy's think the 460 is the fastest card around.. its not a faster card then the 5870, 6870, or the 6850. Is it a hell of a buy at 150 after MIR.. yea it is, But be realistic about performance.

I love how you Fan Boy's think the 460 is the fastest card around.. its not a faster card then the 5870, 6870, or the 6850. Is it a hell of a buy at 150 after MIR.. yea it is, But be realistic about performance.

dont do that....you're embarrassing yourself and after this post i am not even going to debate this with you in this thread any further because it's fruitless and distracting from the thread purpose. i did not say anything about the 6870 or 6850.....i said the 5870, and yes if you look around all the data shows the 460GTX will go toe to toe with the 5870 for much less money and less heat, it is the better value by all accounts other than AMD die hard fans who refuse to believe the truth

but now that you mention it the 6870 and 6850 are typically running slightly under the 5870, so i guess you made my point for me, that the GTX 460 may very well be faster than all of those in many cases

seriously, where is all this info that shows the 5870, 6850 and 6870 being the better value? because every set of benchmarks i look at says otherwise

dont do that....you're embarrassing yourself and after this post i am not even going to debate this with you in this thread any further because it's fruitless and distracting from the thread purpose. i did not say anything about the 6870 or 6850.....i said the 5870, and yes if you look around all the data shows the 460GTX will go toe to toe with the 5870 for much less money and less heat, it is the better value by all accounts other than AMD die hard fans who refuse to believe the truth

but now that you mention it the 6870 and 6850 are typically running slightly under the 5870, so i guess you made my point for me, that the GTX 460 may very well be faster than all of those in many cases

seriously, where is all this info that shows the 5870, 6850 and 6870 being the better value? because every set of benchmarks i look at says otherwise

I Didn't say that the 5870 was a better buy then the 460.. In-fact I pointed out that the 460 is a good buy at the cost.. But Benchmarks from pretty much every show that the 460 is slower then the others I mentioned.. Bang for buck though at 150 its better for the money then then all but the 6850 for 155 (being a sapphire that doesn't have the warranty danny is looking for).

You did a very good job at point out the Fan Boy part of my post though..

Maybe you should go used, if you put up a WTB thread I'm sure you could get a XFX 5870 card with a transferable warranty for around $200 shipped.

My XFX 5850 Black reference cooler is making odd sounds.

How do i remove the shroud?? Links?

HELP Danny....

Thanks in advance.

My XFX 5850 Black reference cooler is making odd sounds.

How do i remove the shroud?? Links?

HELP Danny....

Thanks in advance.

Definitely gonna sound like a dick here but please don't threadjack other people's thread like. Make your own thread over in the Video card subforum asking how to do that. Though it just seems like all you have to do is unscrew the screws on the video card and that's it.

Next time, make a new thread if that thread is in no way relevant to what you're asking.

Definitely gonna sound like a dick here but please don't threadjack other people's thread like. Make your own thread over in the Video card subforum asking how to do that. Though it just seems like all you have to do is unscrew the screws on the video card and that's it.

Next time, make a new thread if that thread is in no way relevant to what you're asking.

Sorry Dan.

Back