Upgraded to 8GB

mryerse

2[H]4U
Just upgraded yut to 8GB from 2gb. Much better performance :) Haven't run memtest, but it booted without needing to change voltages or timings or anything else from my current OC. Now to load up some VM's.

Yut - Q6600@3GHz, 8GB G.Skill@1333 9-9-9-24, DX38BT@333MHz, Vision Tek HD 4850 @680/1143, Seagate 500GB, Vista Ultimate 64

From his sig

Vista x64 2GB to 4GB is quite a boost. I've noticed it and others on here I recommended it too noticed it too. The system no longer is laggy under load.

Vista x64 2GB to 4GB is quite a boost. I've noticed it and others on here I recommended it too noticed it too. The system no longer is laggy under load.

Seconded. I just made the upgrade yesterday and it's a noticeable difference in responsiveness.

Tell ya' what. You make decent, affordable 4gb DDR2 sticks, and I'll buy 4 of those. You can never, ever have too much RAM.

Might laugh but at the moment I have...

-43 FireFox windows open (happens when I leave my computer on for days)
-1 Internet Explorer window open
-Windows Media Player
-Photoshop CS3
-Dreamweaver CS3
-FRAPS
-Nero SmartStart
-NVIDIA CP
-Matlab
-Outlook
-FileZilla

In total 85 processes....

Physical memory usage: 84%

Who said 8GB was a waste again?

i got my 8gbs brandly newly installed into my system as well. i took advantage of that $15 4gb kit deal from frys and bought two. i love having 8gigs.

I just got my second set of 4GB Gskill DDR2-800 HK, I tested them with Memtest all was good, then I put my first set back in, did one pass and no errors. I do have the voltage up to 1.9V. I can use it all in W7 x64 beta, but not in XP 32.

Having 8GB certainly is nice. With 2 VMs open running F@H and all the other random programs I have running at any given time, I've seen RAM usage hit as high as 89%. I'm using nearly 5GB at this very moment. You have to love those dirt cheap DDR2 prices.

Just upgraded yut to 8GB from 2gb. Much better performance :) Haven't run memtest, but it booted without needing to change voltages or timings or anything else from my current OC. Now to load up some VM's.

That's great because I'm getting another 4gb of ram on vista 64bit

I have a dd2 notebook system and going from 2gb - 4gb wasn't all that noticable. Maybe its because its only ddr2.

-Windows Media Player
-Photoshop CS3
-Dreamweaver CS3
-FRAPS
-Nero SmartStart
-NVIDIA CP
-Matlab
-Outlook
-FileZilla

We must be related:D:D:D.......my setup is also like that + 1-2 microsoft virtual earth 3D's and google earth running, now those running @ 2560x1600 are a complete ram killer.

Just for fun right before I put in my PII I tossed in a Sempron 3000+ just for fun, I can safely say i'll never go back to anything less than 8gbs of ram and a quadcore:p

I too just upgraded to 8GB from 4GB and the difference is pretty noticeable. :eek: I also have lots of Firefox windows open filled with lots of tabs (at least 10 but sometimes it goes up in the 30-40 range) and having the extra RAM allows smoother transition between programs. With games loaded, the most noticeable improvement is that Alt Tabbing back to desktop only takes about 2 seconds now! :D There's also less thrashing of the hard drive and smoother gameplay in Crysis, as well as in general Vista usage.

To think that I paid $80 for my first 4GB set in late July, to only have to pay $35 this past week for the same model is amazing! If only all hardware had similarly significant price reductions. :D

FYI I noticed that the price went down $10 per 4gb, of which I had bought 8gb from Newegg. I chatted with them on their site and referenced the order and drop in price and they credited me $15. Didn't even ask for it, just told them about the price drop and they made the offer. That's good service.

-Windows Media Player
-Photoshop CS3
-Dreamweaver CS3
-FRAPS
-Nero SmartStart
-NVIDIA CP
-Matlab
-Outlook
-FileZilla

I have 85 processes running too. Except mine looks like this:

2 Virtualbox VMs running XP w/AutoCAD 2009
30+ Firefox windows
10+ windows explorer
1 IE
WMP
Outlook
Windows Live Mail
Photoshop CS3
Flash CS3

Not to mention the tray icon programs running like Spybot, AV, Sidebar, etc. etc.

If I wanted, I can run another VM, and then on top of that run a game.

8GB+ memory FTMFW.

Firefox windows just seem to pop out of nowhere...I often wonder too after a few days how I ended up with so many.

Whats the need to have 40+ browser windows open?

Let's see.

Webmastering 3 websites at once.
Marketing sites for said 3 websites.
4 to 5 tutorial/tips sites.
5+ hobby sites.
10+ tech sites (like [H]).
Forums for each said site.

You can easily see how it can reach over 40 pages open. Not to mention tabs in each one. :D

i saw a pretty good increase in performance when i went from 4gb to 8gb. I do tend to open up a game of tf2, or left 4 dead, alt-tab out, get distracted, wander off, come back, load up some recorded tv shows, pop into firefox to check mail, read [H], (making it the 4th or 5th instance), get distracted yet again, decide i want to do some video editing, get frustrated, minimize that, go back to firefox (opening instance #6) and read how to do things, decide i want a custom splash screen for my video, open up photoshop ....

i wouldn't need 8 gigs if i wasn't so bad about leaving things open. :(

I'm same...i'm going to upgrade my current pc to 8GB as well...:D

Pretty soon I'm going from 2x1GB to I think 4x1GB. I'd like to have 2 or 4 sticks of black ram(Crucial's Tracers etc.), but moneys tight atm so I'm just gonna get 2 more sticks of this Ballistix like I have now to fill all slots.

I know it's not 8gb, but i upgraded to 4gb.. from 2gb. I've noticed a huge difference especially when it comes to installing apps.
Sadly though, it's only showing 3.25gb cause i dont have a x64 bit OS. But, that's coming soon

Wouldn't one benefit more from higher freq. RAM with tighter timings than more
of it? I mean don't you have to cut your freq back anyway to run more ram?

On the lighter side. How hard can it be to re-open a window? They do have things
called favorites and bookmarks. Besides, leaving your pc on 24/7 with that many
windows open is an open invitation for...well...you name it.

Having gone from 2gb to 4gb to 8gb to 16gb in the last 5 months, I agree with many in that the jump to 4gb was the most noticeable. If it wasn't for After Effects CS4 eating all of my ram then I wouldn't have gone past 8gb. As it stands right now, After Effects complains about not having enough still on some of the more complex scenes, thank god my board supports 64gb :)

Wouldn't one benefit more from higher freq. RAM with tighter timings than more
of it? I mean don't you have to cut your freq back anyway to run more ram?

For the typical gamer, sure. But with what I do the 8gb makes a difference by reducing how often the system swaps. And no I did not cut the freq or timings back to run more ram. The ram is not overclocked though so maybe if I was running OC'd memory I'd have to, but if that was the case I'd have bought 1600 in the first place. This 1333 allows me to oc the cpu from 2.4 to 3.0 without oc'ing the ram, which is good enough for me. The next system I buy will probably be higher performance, but this was more of a budget system.

I just finished my upgrade to 8 gigs. I am running XP x64 and Vista Business 64 with no problems. I am in the process of transitioning my games from my old XP install to the x64 install. Vista is used only as needed.

For the typical gamer, sure. But with what I do the 8gb makes a difference by reducing how often the system swaps. And no I did not cut the freq or timings back to run more ram. The ram is not overclocked though so maybe if I was running OC'd memory I'd have to, but if that was the case I'd have bought 1600 in the first place. This 1333 allows me to oc the cpu from 2.4 to 3.0 without oc'ing the ram, which is good enough for me. The next system I buy will probably be higher performance, but this was more of a budget system.

Insightful. This makes me wonder if I should choose lower freq ram when I go
to 8 gigs. I was actually thinking of a pair of 2x2 of 1800 or even 2000MHz
sticks for my current set up. I'm trying hard to piece this together.

Ive come to realize I cant have it both ways. If I OC using the memory as
a base with a max spec of 1600MHz, I can only get a 400x9 FSB. Full
potential from my ram but not my cpu. If i choose to run at a higher
FSB (450x9) than I can only achieve 1350MHz (3:5 ratio) from the ram.
I suppose that's caused by a bottleneck in the NB???

Again thanks for stimulating thought on this!

Keith

I noticed your a vista 64 bit player. That index feature is a hog as well.
I shut mine down. I got tired of my raid O raptors thrashing all the time. That put a
stop to my game crashes.

I honestly don't know a lot about overclocking, but I suspect you would realize more performance out of a 450x9 with mem at 1350. Maybe someone else here can comment on that.

Yeah, 64 bit has had it's problems with VMC codecs. Haven't been bothered by the index feature though. I suppose it's cause I use the search function a lot.

How much is overclocking hindered on Q9x50 cpus with 4 slots populated vs. 2? (C1 step CPU if it matters)

I am mixing 2 2gb Ballistix dimms with 2 2gb crucial pc6400 cas 6 value dimms, and it lowered my max fsb by at least 80!

Why are you people so afraid of overclocking your RAM?

I have 2x1GB (ECC) and 2x2GB (non-ECC) DDR2-800 sticks running at DDR2-936.

And they have different timing specs and are different brands as well.

Overclock the crap out of everything! Keep it stable at the same time though.

curtisfong - best not to buy high CAS RAM. Also, did you try upping your NB voltage a little. 4 sticks of RAM usually requires that you up the NB voltage a little.

I was hoping to get lucky and get some good ICs on the base 2gb crucial ddr2 800 ram (which I got for $15 AR at frys.com). Unfortunate luck of the draw. I will try upping my NB voltage some, but it was depressing to have my max FSB lowered by at least 80. I had 4x1gb ballistix in there before with no extra NB voltage required, and more FSB than my cpu could handle.

And for whatever reason, the 2gb ballistix dimms I have refuse to run at cas 6, I need to use cas 5 or lower for the machine to even boot. I will try later tonight and update, thanks for the suggestion!

Back