• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Upgrade worth it??? AMD > INTEL multi GPU

phemassa

n00b
Joined
Dec 13, 2011
Messages
12
Upgrade worth it???

My current PC is: Crooshair V / X6 1090T to 4GHz / 2x R6970 Lighting / 8GB 1600MHz (7-7-7-24).

I bought the 3rd R6970 Lighting in an attempt to eliminate the micro-stuttering in Eyefinity (5040x1050), and I believe that the CPU will not hold 3x R6970 Lighting. (the famous bottleneck)

My question is: is it worth moving to Intel? I saw that the LGA 1155 is highly recommended to limit three GPUs by PCI-E lanes. This was thinking of the I7-3820 (LGA2011) is the price for a good motherboard (3-way croosfire good) will be similar to LGA2011 in Brazil.

Is it worth selling my mobo and upgrade to the i7-3820, I believe that the cost comes to $ 600.00 (- the amount I sell my current mobo).

Will I see a big performance difference at 5040x1050??

Games I play: Battlefield 3 and Elder Scrools V: Skrym.

Remarks:
* My watercooler system compatible with AM3 + / LGA 1155/LGA2011.
* I'm a fan of AMD, but I'm dropping the FX-8150, reviews by the over consumption of energy (300-400 watts scares)

Any comments / help you decide will be welcome.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
You can't eliminate micro-stutter by changing platforms. It has to do with AMD's drivers and the game you are playing. I have a friend that is crossfiring x2 6970 and have no micro-stutter issue on a 1080p screen. I suggest just buying a 7970 to eliminate the micro-stutter.
 
For 3 6970's at 5040x1050, you're gonna need as much CPU horsepower as you can get and a new Ivy Bridge processor is just that, the most you can get. I say yes it would be worth it for that much GPU muscle. A Bulldozer would give you good performance with dual cards but with 3, that's a shit ton of GPU speed and an Ivy Bridge would let you utilize more of it..
 
Danny Bui, sorry the correct is $600 not $2000... :p

You can't eliminate micro-stutter by changing platforms. It has to do with AMD's drivers and the game you are playing. I have a friend that is crossfiring x2 6970 and have no micro-stutter issue on a 1080p screen. I suggest just buying a 7970 to eliminate the micro-stutter.

attempt to eliminate micro-stutter with 3 GPUs not changing platform.
The problem of three GPUs be limiting of the CPU.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/Crossfire-SLI-stuttering,W-K-300548-22.png

For 3 6970's at 5040x1050, you're gonna need as much CPU horsepower as you can get and a new Ivy Bridge processor is just that, the most you can get. I say yes it would be worth it for that much GPU muscle. A Bulldozer would give you good performance with dual cards but with 3, that's a shit ton of GPU speed and an Ivy Bridge would let you utilize more of it..

i7-3770k Ivy-bridge and a good motherboard for 3-way croosfire is the same cost of the LGA 2011 i7-3820 and Rampage Formula IV?


Thanks guys!!
 
Back
Top