Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99

Microsoft, all you need to do is MAKE METRO A FUCKING OPTION... that's it.. just, one, feature.. give people CHOICE.

There's no point to this from Microsoft's perspective if it would mean disabling all Metro applications. Microsoft would have been better off developing a separate tablet OS in that case and I think that this what most Metro opponents really wanted anyway.

A bunch of you are being silly, by the way.

Steve: Windows 8 upgrades for $40 bucks!
Everyone: *raging debate about Windows 8*

Just don't install it. I mean really, the most emotional men on the planet...grade school kids whine less about stuff that doesn't have to effect them....*mumbles*

I have Windows 7 upgrade installed on my computer. If I try to install this version I bet I will get an error similiar to this, "Windows 8 has detected your using an upgraded version of Windows 7, please..." I know there will probably be a work around just like I did with windows 7 upgrade, but I'm just wondering.

If Win8 was a racehorse and heatlesssun was the jockey for it, he would be the guy out on the track beating the dead horse into a pile of glue. :D

MS should have made Metro an option for desktops and left the Start Menu in place for those who don't want a desktop that works like a smartphone. People who want Metro would run it and those who don't wouldn't be stuck with it. Desktop sales may be flat but the desktop is far from dead.

Why upgrade when it works? Heck, I just upgraded one of my customers from a s478 Prescott/P4P800 SE and XP to an I5 SB with Win7. They got over eight years out of that computer I built for them and they will probably get eight out of this one.

If it works you don't replace it, you use it.

MS should have made Metro an option for desktops

If touch devices are really taking off like people say they are and Metro is a good enough UI, then Metro will be able to take off and survive (maybe even thrive) on it's own merits. I think Microsoft is kind of afraid that it won't, though, and is thus forcing the market.

Steve: please read https://plus.google.com/u/0/117255203942825212306/posts/hKGX73VtrDx

This is a vote of no-confidence on Microsoft's part towards Windows 8.

Nothing else.

This price cratering is Microsoft saying "We don't think Windows 8 going to succeed in the retail market, so we'll try to eek some money out of people who don't know that our boxed edition is the same operating system as the computer in the demo unit."

If Win8 was a racehorse and heatlesssun was the jockey for it, he would be the guy out on the track beating the dead horse into a pile of glue. :D

MS should have made Metro an option for desktops and left the Start Menu in place for those who don't want a desktop that works like a smartphone. People who want Metro would run it and those who don't wouldn't be stuck with it. Desktop sales may be flat but the desktop is far from dead.

Why upgrade when it works? Heck, I just upgraded one of my customers from a s478 Prescott/P4P800 SE and XP to an I5 SB with Win7. They got over eight years out of that computer I built for them and they will probably get eight out of this one.

If it works you don't replace it, you use it.

You upgraded out of that?! I'm pretty sure that could have lasted longer, butI wouldn't know anything about that sorta stuff. :p

This price cratering is Microsoft saying "We don't think Windows 8 going to succeed in the retail market, so we'll try to eek some money out of people who don't know that our boxed edition is the same operating system as the computer in the demo unit."

Huh?

Windows 8 blows.

$200 or $40 what does price change about that?

I read in a few different IT trade magazines that Windows 8 would most likely never be rolled out at most large businesses due to the fact they don't have the time or money to re-train everyone. That it would be an absolute nightmare. Go read it for yourselves. Was in April's issue I think.

OMG, are you in to self abuse?:eek:

That font on the screen looks perfect for the almost blind. :D

It actually works really well considering the stuff inside it. And I blew up the font so it'd show up a little better on my junky camera. :)

I'm mostly using it over the summer because Washington is like devoid of air conditioning and the Dell in my signature block gets really, really hot. That doesn't so it works better in my lap. Besides, it's absolutely huggable because it's all thick and clunky.

I read in a few different IT trade magazines that Windows 8 would most likely never be rolled out at most large businesses due to the fact they don't have the time or money to re-train everyone. That it would be an absolute nightmare. Go read it for yourselves. Was in April's issue I think.

This was also said of Office 2007. In any case businesses are just beginning their Windows 7 deployments, they wouldn't have upgraded to Windows 8 en masse no matter what Windows 8 was. How Windows 8 will come into the enterprise is on tablets. There's no additional costs or headaches for most businesses running Windows domains to manage Windows 8 tablets, and there's even some manageability on Windows RT though they can't join Windows domains.

This was also said of Office 2007. In any case businesses are just beginning their Windows 7 deployments, they wouldn't have upgraded to Windows 8 en masse no matter what Windows 8 was. How Windows 8 will come into the enterprise is on tablets. There's no additional costs or headaches for most businesses running Windows domains to manage Windows 8 tablets, and there's even some manageability on Windows RT though they can't join Windows domains.

Actually, I've gone through XP, Vista, and 7 since I started working my current job and we'll probably do the Windows 8 thing about a year after it's released. On the server side though we went from Server 2k3 to Hyper-V virtualized 2008 R2 so we skipped a little there. I really don't see us waiting out Windows 8.

I'm in for a copy on my secondary PC. Classic Shell gives me a start button/ menu and it automatically boots to the classic desktop after a 5 second Metro Screen. Good enough for me. Forty bucks is a sweet deal. My main PC, used for gaming, is going to stay with Win 7.

Amazing...you exercised your CHOICE and installed something DIFFERENT on your system. I thought Microsoft banned any sort of choice or tweaking to Windows 8? You can actually change it to work the way you want AND enjoy all the other non-Gui related features of the OS? Amazing...

It's not pre-order DLC, they include it because you're upgrading from a Windows 7 version that already has it included. So when you upgrade to Windows 8, it's included for free because you already paid for it in Windows 7.

Or, just stick with Windows 7 which:

1. Works great
2. Is well loved
3. Is easy to learn and to use
4. Is a natural evolution of a decades-old UI
4. Doesn't force feces-laden UI changes down the throats of formerly happy users

1. Works great
2. Is well loved
4. Doesn't force feces-laden UI changes down the throats of formerly happy users

And can count better than I...

Humm I'll I am definitely getting a copy for my old windows xp machine, and probably for my main rig, but not to sure on the laptop. I will have to wait and see how sony deals with the drivers if they even decide to upload win 8 drivers and utilities.

I have a sneaking suspicion they've realized that very few people are willing to pay anything for 8. From what I've read of the UI changes, I'll hold out until they pay me.

Well I guess that settles it... I wasn't sure if I wanted to move to Windows 8, but for $40 I won't even think twice.

Can buy Win8, or I can fill up my gas tank. When I fill up my gas tank I can go in and buy a candy bar. MMmmmm....candy bars.

Win8 loses.

I only have the Windows 8 Release Preview on my htpc. I wonder I can get the upgrade for forty bucks.

Wow, that's a hell of a deal. Going to be tough deciding between a technet renewal and simply buying a few copies of Windows 8 outright...

I wont demonize w8 too quickly without trying it first, it looks like it will be laptop friendly for my girlfriend

I wouldn't use it, even if it were free. The last preview lasted 5 minutes before a format.

Even cheaper than the Windows 7 for $50 preorder sale!

If I was still on XP, I'd bite...but I like Windows 7 too damn well.

I'm in for a copy on my secondary PC. Classic Shell gives me a start button/ menu and it automatically boots to the classic desktop after a 5 second Metro Screen. Good enough for me. Forty bucks is a sweet deal. My main PC, used for gaming, is going to stay with Win 7.

Let me know how Classic Shell works for you. If it works without hiccups that could be the straw which causes me to upgrade my Vist and XP computers.

"Something you do not need at a price you cannot refuse."

I don't want Windows 8, it has no compelling features for a desktop or laptop over Win7. I am not buying something that I don't need or want.

Can buy Win8, or I can fill up my gas tank. When I fill up my gas tank I can go in and buy a candy bar. MMmmmm....candy bars.

Win8 loses.

lucky. i could buy 2 upgrades of win8, and still have room for some candy bars, for the cost of filling up my tank.

"Something you do not need at a price you cannot refuse."

I don't want Windows 8, it has no compelling features for a desktop or laptop over Win7. I am not buying something that I don't need or want.

Cool, no one cares.

Most of you people whine just to whine, major or not. Win8 is a solid upgrade just as Win7 was over Vista. You people sound like Origin whiners...... nothing wrong with it.... whine to whine.

I am happy to see a nice upgrade pricing model.

Most of you people whine just to whine, major or not. Win8 is a solid upgrade just as Win7 was over Vista.

It's getting little weird. Windows 8 is running faster and smoother on all of the hardware I've installed it on compared to 7 overall and is as stable. Virtually all my programs and hardware work. I'm just as productive with keyboards and mice on the desktop with desktop apps as Windows 7. And while there aren't many Metro apps in the RP there are several that I use all of the time like the news apps an I imagine this upgrade price just sparked an a good amount of interest in Metro projects. And finally, finally, the term Tablet PC actually means what it says, not just a PC in a tablet form factor.

Actually, I've gone through XP, Vista, and 7 since I started working my current job and we'll probably do the Windows 8 thing about a year after it's released. On the server side though we went from Server 2k3 to Hyper-V virtualized 2008 R2 so we skipped a little there. I really don't see us waiting out Windows 8.

My house its going full win8 once it releases. I'm actually happy with the interface for htpc purposes but fear what I will have to get used to for my work machine.

1. Works great
2. Is well loved
It's funny how we all seen these same arguments from people when it came to upgrading from XP, lol.
Use what works for you, nobody is "forcing" anything on you.
Also, nice counting there buddy, lol.

Back