Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

I'm going to have to pack up this monitor soon for moving and wanted to make sure I don't do any damage... how do you carefully remove the monitor from the VGA stand? I know I could figure it out myself but I don't want to take any risks. Can someone explain?

TehQuick said:
OK, this thread is getting boring.. 2000 posts about the same monitor? ;)

this monitor never gets old. and if it does, then just buy a second one and you'll be in aw again.

quick question about this monitor, im going to use it with my powermac g5 2.3ghz,

and i was just wondering if i dwl some HD trailers on apple.com/trailers like the 720p and 1080i and so forth will i be able to watch it as HD and other HD clips and tv shows?

thanks

What is the cheapest price that one of these has been had for so far? I'm in California so I have to pay a 7.75% tax :(

peacetilence said:
I'm going to have to pack up this monitor soon for moving and wanted to make sure I don't do any damage... how do you carefully remove the monitor from the VGA stand? I know I could figure it out myself but I don't want to take any risks. Can someone explain?

hold the monitor firmly with one hand and push the button at the back of the screen just below the 100mm vesa mount

mackaveli said:
quick question about this monitor, im going to use it with my powermac g5 2.3ghz,

and i was just wondering if i dwl some HD trailers on apple.com/trailers like the 720p and 1080i and so forth will i be able to watch it as HD and other HD clips and tv shows?

thanks

Simple answer, yes.

How long is everyone currently waiting to get their 2405? I really want one or two, but the 3 weeks listed on Dell's site seems a bit extreme.

Originally posted by logo29a
How long is everyone currently waiting to get their 2405? I really want one or two, but the 3 weeks listed on Dell's site seems a bit extreme.

Mine came less than a week after I placed the order. From reading on various forums the expected ship date on the Dell site is quite conservative.

FYI, I love mine and am constantly rotating it from landscape to portrait. A very usefull feature.

" Order Date: 5/5/05 Production Date: 05/05/05 Ship Date: 5/5/05 "

Says it'll arrive beginning of this week. Was a lot faster than I expected.

Guys that went trough Dell 2405 replacement please just share your experience in terms of
1. did you get brand new model or refurbished
2. if it was refurbished is there real noticeable evidence of it.
I need this info because according to tech and customer service they are not capable of 100% guarantee that replacement units are completely new even if you within 21 days of total satisfaction. It was just my bad luck that i had to replace mine due to high level of buzzing.
Thank you

From my understanding, there would be a big sticker "REFURB" on the box if the monitor is refurbished.

Icheb said:
From my understanding, there would be a big sticker "REFURB" on the box if the monitor is refurbished.

That is correct. The box is also a different shape and size.

However, if you are within 21 days of purchase, you should definitely be insisting on a brand new monitor. There should be no confusion on that point; Dell policy allows an exchange within the first 21 days to be for a brand new monitor!

logo29a said:

I ordered mine last monday. Shipped out the next day. Arrived on friday with no dead pixels or buzzing. (knock on wood).

Why do people in the US get the monitor so fast and it's out of stock in europe for so long already?

Icheb said:
Why do people in the US get the monitor so fast and it's out of stock in europe for so long already?

because :D just kiddin, it's Dell's decision, he prioritizes US market I guess to keep his share up ;)

Yippee! So my 2405FP finally arrived today. Can't wait to get home to test it out... oh yeah, I forgot... :( still have to mess 3+ hours with my Linux configuration files to set it up properly... God I hate ATI GPU's... :mad:

/me patiently awaits my XFX 6600GT... ;)

Hehe, that was damn long wait, but definitely worth it. My 2405FPW arrived with no dead/stuck pixels (triple checked just to make sure), no backlighting issues, no weird buzzing, this LCD is fucking perfect!

Pictures DO NOT do this thing justice at all, I know it's been said before, but for the love of God and your own body, please go check it out for yourself if they have it on display in your area... you WILL NOT believe the size of this damn thing, it's fucking
HUGE!!! :D

1c3d0g said:
Hehe, that was damn long wait, but definitely worth it. My 2405FPW arrived with no dead/stuck pixels (triple checked just to make sure), no backlighting issues, no weird buzzing, this LCD is fucking perfect!

Pictures DO NOT do this thing justice at all, I know it's been said before, but for the love of God and your own body, please go check it out for yourself if they have it on display in your area... you WILL NOT believe the size of this damn thing, it's fucking
HUGE!!! :D
just wait a day, it doesent look that big then anymore. :(

Icheb said:

I ordered two 2405FPW's in UK on the 20th of April, the estimated ship date keeps getting pushed back

And calls to Dell had the CSR's saying the monitors are not shipping because a certain part is out of stock. Now the estimated ship date is 13th of May, let's see what happens ..

dadj said:
So are you saying you're not happy with yours? How come? :confused:

@ harshw: Hmm... looks like an out of stock problem in Europe (you poor bastards). :( I ordered mine Sunday April 24 at around 8:00 P.M. and it arrived Monday May 9 (it must have arrived sooner though, tracker said it shipped April 27 with delivery time of May 2-4, blame the damn lazy and corrupt customs here).

I only ordered one, so maybe that's why they're taking so long. As someone else said earlier in this thread, they may have just run out of 24" LCD panels due to extremely high demand... still...keep your fingers crossed... ;)

Edit: mine said it shipped from Austin, Texas (go U.S.A.!), when yours arrives see if you can find out where it came from.

dadj said:
Every time I start thinking like that I turn to my left and look at the wife's 2005FPW.

Nah, it's still huge. :D

dadj said:

I second that. Only after using me 2001FP for a while do I notice how big it is. I wonder if Dell will release a 30" model at some point.

1c3d0g said:
So are you saying you're not happy with yours? How come? :confused:

Hell no I love the thing!! It's just that after a day or 2 the huge size is not that "overwhelming" anymore. My ex gf said the same once, come to think of it... :D

1c3d0g said:
[/b][/size]

You sure it doesn't have any buzzing? Turn off the monitor and stick your year next to the vents on the plug side.

Yeah, I'm sure it doesn't have any buzzing... I have listened very careful (and the monitor is in a quiet room). The LCD is v.1.8. This is the best purchase I have ever made. :D

@ dadj: ROFLMAO... ;)

When this first came, I was so overwhelmed by the size. A lot of people said it, but pictures do not do this thing justice.

My only compaint is that I have poor lighting in my room and during night I get freaking blinded by this thing (even lowest brightness is too bright). During the day it looks so freaking awesome.This is my first LCD other than my laptop, and I mean wow.. that's sharp. You guys had me scared about viewing angles.. maybe it's just me but I can't get any distorted colors almost no matter where I look (on my laptop it is absolutely terrible, and I was fully expecting it to be like that). Those people who hate LCDs have really got to see this monitor before they finalize their decisions. I also heard about bad blacks? Unless the room has no lighting... this black is *black*! And even in totaly darkness I don't see what people are complaining about (other than getting blinded by the screen).

While I waited for this to ship, I often regretted the decision.I had someone nagging me to cancel my order because "LCDs are just hyped up, CRT is where its really at." Boy, were they wrong. Now that it's here, I'm contemplating getting another. Best $1200CAD ever spent!

EDIT: oh yeah, no buzzing or dead pixels. .:)

Can someone running Counterstrike Source in 1920x1200 try running the stress test? It doesn't work properly for me. Some of the effects, like the rotating mirror, are replaced with red error messages that flash and rotate instead of the proper effect. The game works fine, just the stress test is screwed.

It does this on my system even after a complete rebuild AND moving to xp64 with a different video driver. So something isn't right there.

Riptide_NVN said:
Can someone running Counterstrike Source in 1920x1200 try running the stress test? It doesn't work properly for me. Some of the effects, like the rotating mirror, are replaced with red error messages that flash and rotate instead of the proper effect. The game works fine, just the stress test is screwed.

It does this on my system even after a complete rebuild AND moving to xp64 with a different video driver. So something isn't right there.

Not your computer, everyones PC does that in the stress test since one of the steam updates.

Mine only buzzes when the monitor is off (ie. not in power savings/stand-by mode).

I have a question for all you fellow 2405FPW owners... Does your monitor buzz when:

1. it's on?
2. in stand-by mode?
3. completely off (with power cable still connected)?
4. buzzes in all of the above situations?

For me, it's # 3, but the buzzing is very discrete as it's an extremely quiet high-pitched sound. The only time I can hear it is when the room is completely silent and the computer is off. I wouldn't even have noticed it if people didn't post about the buzzing issues.

Tuvok said:
Mine only buzzes when the monitor is off (ie. not in power savings/stand-by mode).

I have a question for all you fellow 2405FPW owners... Does your monitor buzz when:

1. it's on?
2. in stand-by mode?

For me, it's # 3, but the buzzing is very discrete as it's an extremely quiet high-pitched sound. The only time I can hear it is when the room is completely silent and the computer is off. I wouldn't even have noticed it if people didn't post about the buzzing issues.

Mine is #1 and fortunately it's very quiet. It also seems to stop once the screen has warmed up.

No, I haven't heard the buzzing at all in any of the conditions mentioned. And I even sleep in the same room with the monitor off, no buzzing as far as I can tell. What version of the LCD do you guys have?

I had dell send me a replacement 2405 cause I had a few stuck on pixels when black. It had 1 stuck pixel, but in Component mode, the screen flickered and had a loud whining sound. So I just sent it back. I kept my first one and gave up, not really worth the hassle as I cant see the stuck pixels unless I really go hunting for them.

Dell.de lists it again :D . Although with an estimated shipping time of at leat 45 days, but still :D .

Tuvok said:

1. it's on?
2. in stand-by mode?

# 3 for me also. Its more of a soft whine and not a buzz. I can't hear it unless I stick my ear up against the vent on the back. As long as it doesn't cause any trouble in the future it doesn't bother me. Besides I usually leave my monitor in stand-by mode so it's silent. BTW I have version 1.8 manufactured in April.

There was a thread on this. Anyone get the outcome?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=886232&highlight=received+call+dell

FusionXP said:
# 3 for me also. Its more of a soft whine and not a buzz. I can't hear it unless I stick my ear up against the vent on the back. As long as it doesn't cause any trouble in the future it doesn't bother me. Besides I usually leave my monitor in stand-by mode so it's silent. BTW I have version 1.8 manufactured in April.

There was a thread on this. Anyone get the outcome?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=886232&highlight=received+call+dell

Yep, mine was manufactured in April and it's also version 1.8 with same whining sound.

I remember a month or two ago there were deals on 2405FPW with which it would end up costing $850 - $950 dollars. I was looking to get one of these for someone and was wondering if there are still deals to be had or if I've missed the boat on the < $1000 offers. Right now it's going for $1199 on the Dell Home site and there appear to be no offers running.

Back