Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

ajabbari said:
I remember a month or two ago there were deals on 2405FPW with which it would end up costing $850 - $950 dollars. I was looking to get one of these for someone and was wondering if there are still deals to be had or if I've missed the boat on the < $1000 offers. Right now it's going for $1199 on the Dell Home site and there appear to be no offers running.

Your best bet is to call dell and speak to a sales rep. I ordered mine the last Tuesday of April and managed to get it for $819 through work. And if you can find a friend who wants one too you'll certainly get a discount for purchasing two at the same time.

Just called them and ordered my 2405FPW. Received a 25% rebate which wasn't even mentioned on their website :) . Downside is the 45+ days shipping time :( .

Tuvok said:
Yep, mine was manufactured in April and it's also version 1.8 with same whining sound.

someone should make a poll for all 2405 users, and make them listen through the vent while the room is totally silent. We need to know if it can be heard just sitting in front of the monitor or if you have to go through the trouble of what i stated above. i cannot hear it at all unless my ear is physically touching the vent near the card port and the room is silent....is that how it is for everyone else?

I (and my family members) haven't heard a single whine, buzz, pop, crack or other weird noises coming from my 2405FPW. And yes, I have good ears, my room is extremely quiet and I tested it in standby, off mode and on. You guys probably have some grounding problems or other electrical irregularities, (maybe) non-shielded speakers nearby, I don't know, something that causes this behaviour (or you have a "defective" unit). I can tell ya'll one thing though, it isn't normal to hear so much noise coming out of a monitor, the way you people decribe it. :(

1c3d0g said:
I (and my family members) haven't heard a single whine, buzz, pop, crack or other weird noises coming from my 2405FPW. And yes, I have good ears, my room is extremely quiet and I tested it in standby, off mode and on. You guys probably have some grounding problems or other electrical irregularities, (maybe) non-shielded speakers nearby, I don't know, something that causes this behaviour (or you have a "defective" unit). I can tell ya'll one thing though, it isn't normal to hear so much noise coming out of a monitor, the way you people decribe it. :(

thats the thing, do u hear it just sitting in front of your lcd or did u put ur ear to the vent? because personally if everything is silent i cannot hear a thing sitting in front of my monitor

As I said before I can't hear it unless I stick my ear up against the vent on the power cord side while the monitor is OFF. What I did notice is that if I use the monior for a long time (couple hours) and turn OFF the power I can't hear anything at first. Only after couple minutes the soft whine starts.

i think its normal operational noise..if ur ear has to touch it how bad can it be? i dont hear it when it's off...only when a picture is displayed, if i switch to a diff mode with nuthin on i dont hear a sound and i only hear it at the card port side...the other side is silent. ppl that complain say it's distracting, but i dunno how loud it is for them to actually bother them.

bench261 said:
thats the thing, do u hear it just sitting in front of your lcd or did u put ur ear to the vent? because personally if everything is silent i cannot hear a thing sitting in front of my monitor
No, I tried again today... I can't hear a damn thing. I listened really carefully for about 10 minutes straight, then I went outside. Came back later, still couldn't hear nothing. So I don't know what's up with your monitors. Where I'm sitting the temparature changes between 25C (when the airconditioning is on) to 30C (about 78F to 88F). I assume you guys have lower temperatures... maybe that has something to do with it? Or possible power line fluctuations? :confused:

everyone fails to answer if they have their ear to the vent, not while sittin in front of the screen. honestly i dunno if its normal cuz i never heard anyting from my old one...this is the 1st time i put my ear on it

bench261 said:
everyone fails to answer if they have their ear to the vent, not while sittin in front of the screen. honestly i dunno if its normal cuz i never heard anyting from my old one...this is the 1st time i put my ear on it

Sheesh, who cares? if u hear the noise, good for u, if I dont' hear it, good for me :D

well im just trying to solve something for others, because ppl dont know if its normal or not. if one person says it's defective then 100 others will think sumthin is wrong when they dont even know if its suppose to be that way. the way some guys describe it, it sounds like it's mind numbing

bench261 said:
I forgot to say that I did put my ear as close as humanly possible to the LCD. Not a single whisper (either on/off or in standby). :)

FusionXP said:
As I said before I can't hear it unless I stick my ear up against the vent on the power cord side while the monitor is OFF. What I did notice is that if I use the monior for a long time (couple hours) and turn OFF the power I can't hear anything at first. Only after couple minutes the soft whine starts.

Is it hard to see anything on the screen when your ear is against the vent as you can hear the whine? :rolleyes:

TeedOff said:
Is it hard to see anything on the screen when your ear is against the vent as you can hear the whine? :rolleyes:

Don't be stupid, that's when it all comes into focus :D :p

BTW, if buzzing bothers u, it's not good ;) I'd RMA the unit if produced unusual noise.

i'll keep it, my original rep offered 50$ off and a monitor arm for all my troubles, since i said i was gunna order 2 more....i'll just hold onto it for awhile and send it back later :D

aironite: Where do you live? When did you order? How did you order?
I ordered my 2405 last friday by phone and it's scheduled to be shipped for next monday :) . I'm from Germany.

Ordered saturday before closing expected delivery 20th got moved to 21st then to 23rd this morning now has gone back to 21st. Its stuck in the production stage |:

I know I want a 2405FPW, I'm just waiting for a good code for it to come around. Dun feel like paying 1200.

If you plug a DVD player to the monitor, could you play movies without having to turn on your computer?

ashmedai said:
I know I want a 2405FPW, I'm just waiting for a good code for it to come around. Dun feel like paying 1200.
Just call them and try to get a deal. If I can get a 25% discount, you can, too ;) .

Icheb said:
Just call them and try to get a deal. If I can get a 25% discount, you can, too ;) .

I've got enough other stuff to do right now that I can wait a bit...my fiendish plot involves waiting until there's a nice percentage discount code, and THEN calling to ask for a bit more...dubious if that'll fly though.

Think it'll help if I keep them on the phone for like 20 minutes going over the features of different displays first it'll help? ^_^

Holy flurkin' schnit!

I just checked the Dell UK website to see if the 2405 has finally reappeared.

It sure has.

The site describes it as :

Note: 45 Days Lead Time. Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW 24" widescreen LCD Flat Panel Monitor. 500cd/m2 brightness, 1000:1 contrast, 16ms response time. Midnight Grey TCO99
£860.10
incl. VAT, shipping
Usually Ships: 3+ Weeks

My emphasis.

Buh? 45 days?!? Yeah, you ain't kidding about that 3+ weeks...

Whens the next deal for this monitor? Whats the cheapest I can get this for right now? Thanx ;)

mcsenerd said:
I think I have the solution for all of you that can't stand to look at these Dells with these terrible bleeding issues. Please carefully pack the monitors back up and ship them promptly to me at:

This being the 2405FPW thread, I'd say that with it retailing for four figures it'd better be right near perfect or I'll quite justifiably be rather put out.

Does anybody in the Los Angeles area own one of these that I can come take a look at? I'm looking for a display for professional photoshop retouching, and trying to decide between this and the HP. I have to see with my own eyes the color and tone accuracy and range, otherwise I will be going with the HP, which seems to be more proven for this purpose with its S-IPS panel.

So someone please try to sway me!

=)

Jeff

Didn't the 2005FPW have an S-IPS, and this one was supposed to be better? I'm not very familiar with the technical issues involved but I think it was something like that.

Hey, new Dell 2405FPW v1.8 monitors also show the frequency of your DVI connection (154mhz in my case) when you enable the factory menu.

edit: Oh wait... maybe they all show that when you disable "reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution panels" from the ATI Control panel. I believe 165mhz is the highest frequency you can have with a single-link display, so 154mhz w/ a 1920 x 1200 display is impressive.

I just got mine in. This thing is HUGE. Now I just need to get my computer so I can see it in all it's beauty. :(

It's a shame seeing this huge thing hooked up to my dell i9100.

Well, my 2405 arrived today. Hmm, what can I say other than "HOLY CRAP THIS MONITOR KICKS MAJOR ASS!!!!!!"

This is my 3rd lcd monitor. Dell 1901 (I think) is a few years old, Samsung 910T is less than a year old, and now the 2405. The other two are 19" lcds running at 1280x1024. The 910T blows away the old Dell. I haven't decided if the 2405 contrast/colors are that much better than the 910T but it's definately no worse. The contrast on the 2405 is pretty good.

All lcd monitors are super bright but lose some of the brightness over the first 100 hours or so. This thing is came with the brightness set to 50 out of 100. It lights up the entire room and you might want to have your sunglasses near by when you turn it on for the first time.

Games at 1920x1200 look INCREDIBLE!!!!! Who needs antialiasing when you've got that resolution? There might be some slight and I mean very slight ghosting/trailing, but it's negligible and really isn't an issue.

Only tested DVI so far. I'll probably hook up xbox to the component later this week.

The only bad thing about this monitor is that it will be EXTREMLY hard to go back to my 19" monitors for work. Also, I don't like the silver part on the stand. But the stand is way more functional than my other two monitor stands.

All I can say is if you have the money, buy this monitor NOW! Call someone at Dell and you should be able to get it for $900 + tax.

turtles said:
Well, my 2405 arrived today. Hmm, what can I say other than "HOLY CRAP THIS MONITOR KICKS MAJOR ASS!!!!!!"

This is my 3rd lcd monitor. Dell 1901 (I think) is a few years old, Samsung 910T is less than a year old, and now the 2405. The other two are 19" lcds running at 1280x1024. The 910T blows away the old Dell. I haven't decided if the 2405 contrast/colors are that much better than the 910T but it's definately no worse. The contrast on the 2405 is pretty good.

All lcd monitors are super bright but lose some of the brightness over the first 100 hours or so. This thing is came with the brightness set to 50 out of 100. It lights up the entire room and you might want to have your sunglasses near by when you turn it on for the first time.

Games at 1920x1200 look INCREDIBLE!!!!! Who needs antialiasing when you've got that resolution? There might be some slight and I mean very slight ghosting/trailing, but it's negligible and really isn't an issue.

Only tested DVI so far. I'll probably hook up xbox to the component later this week.

The only bad thing about this monitor is that it will be EXTREMLY hard to go back to my 19" monitors for work. Also, I don't like the silver part on the stand. But the stand is way more functional than my other two monitor stands.

All I can say is if you have the money, buy this monitor NOW! Call someone at Dell and you should be able to get it for $900 + tax.

My sentiments exactly!

I actually like the design of the stand though, y'know the ring. Looks much better than a solid stand IMO. As for AA. The jaggies never seemed to bother me even playing Far Cry HL2 etc at 1024x768 on my old PC. On my old system with a 9800pro flashed to XT I'd put on AA with the resulting FPS hit just to see what it was like and tbh I could never see much differance with it on or off. So now Gaming at 1920x1200 jaggies and AA are definately not an issue at all, even though I could put on some AA with my 850XTPE I don't bother. Means I can turn V-Sync on to stop the tearing with out worrying about triple buffering or taking too much of an FPS hit.

As for ghosting/trailing, a mate got the same PC as me but a 1901 or 1905 (can't remember which). It was 20ms and OMG the ghosting/trailing was terrible. There is absolutely nothing I would call ghosting or trailing on my 2405. All there is a slight halo(ie not an after image but like a thin area around the contours of the character thats a slightly lighter colour than normal) around a game character but only if I swing my mouse really fast side to side while I'm looking at the character. Not something you would normally do ingame. In contrast, just a normal speed turn in the game world while looking at a character would induce massive trailing after-images of the character on my friends 20ms monitor.

To finish, all I can say is this is the best PC purchase I ever made. :D

Anyone using this with an ATI 9800 Pro 128 card? I'm wondering if this is adequate to drive this monitor. And does it come with the DVI cable? Sorry if this has been answered before, but I did go through about 200 messages and found nothing.

Back