Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

hagbard said:
Anyone using this with an ATI 9800 Pro 128 card? I'm wondering if this is adequate to drive this monitor. And does it come with the DVI cable? Sorry if this has been answered before, but I did go through about 200 messages and found nothing.

I've used that card to drive my trinitron at higher resolutions than the 2405 uses, so yes. Gaming...depends on the game.

IMHO, you're looking to be disappointed if you try to game with this monitor on a 9800 pro. Getting decent frames @ 1920x1200 with a 9800 pro would be hard to do :eek:

as far as every day computing, you got yourself a great card to do the job

i'm seriously considering this monitor.

Will my current ATI X800 Pro GIGABYTE NO-VIVO graphics card be able to work well with it ?

So far all i've seen is Ati x800 Xt and Nvidia 6800 Gt is recommended, but nothing mentioning mine.

So anyone ?

Yeah that's just fine. What you should be looking for is a 400MHz RAMDAC, once it has that (which is almost all of the new GPU's), it's more than enough to power the display. And a DVI is also required for best IQ, but that (again) is available on almost all new GPU's. :)

She is going home tonight but i could not resist fireing it up using my laptop. She is running vga right now but When i get her home...............DVI and wide screen gaming goodnesshttp://members.cox.net/mjpetruzz/DSCN0087.JPG It looks funny an non naitive res but my lappy can only do 1600 x 1200 and I am just having a litte fun

I just got my 2405 2 days ago... my laptop has yet to show up...

at first, when i saw the box, i was like "jesus, i'm going to have to clean my desk..." it's a thing of beauty...

the box was beaten all to shit when i took a closer look (looks like there's some punctures into the packing, but lucky for me, not all the way through to the lcd)...

no dead pixels, BUT there's a flaw in the lower right hand side of the screen... looks like, from lack of a better way of describing it, a smudge... it's thin, and all the pixels work, but it's a very mild skuff... not on the surface of the lcd...

anyways, given the fact that i don't have any dead pixels, and the fact that it's in the corner of the screen, i really don't care... it's not something noticable, hell, even after pointing it out, my friends still can't see it (and think i'm smoking crack, but that's another discussion).... anyways, i really don't want to have to ship this one back and get another one, so i think i'll just live with something that's not really anoying at all...

i only have 2 problems with the lcd:
1) i don't want to leave home...
2) it makes my 17" LG lcd look like donkey shit...

welph i just got an email from ups saying my monitor will be here on the 2nd of june :D
but now i gotta wait 6 more days and i can tell alrdy this is gonna be the longest 6 days of my life :eek: so well anyhoo at least i no its coming.

Mysticcal said:
Nice Waste of money, that's for sure.
So either you can't afford it and want to ruin it for the rest of us or you live in the cheapest appartment available and only eat bread all day because you don't want to spend your money on anything that is not "necessary". I'm guessing the first.

Okay so it's expensive...but people spend ALOT of money on computers, and display upgrades IMO usually feel the most like an improvement. If you don't like it, nuts to you, don't get one. 105 pages of people think it's effing awesome.

ashmedai said:
Okay so it's expensive...but people spend ALOT of money on computers, and display upgrades IMO usually feel the most like an improvement. If you don't like it, nuts to you, don't get one. 105 pages of people think it's effing awesome.

QFT. I traded two ultras , couple hd's and some cash for mine then tossed a 6800GT in my rig and am totlay pleased with my decision. The GT handles all my games at 1920 x 1200 and i dont miss the Ultras a bit. Well amybe a little but G70 x2 in the future will ease my pain.

Its all about stratetgic upgrades. I let go of my Ultras while they were still worth nearly what I paid for them. If you avoid falling in love with your hardware you can try out alot of chit wihile paying incrementaly over your original investments,

I've got a 2001fp and I was wondering if one of you lucky 2405 people could help me out. If you could take a pic of your lcd with a centered 1600x1200 desktop background (unstretched) so I could see exactly how much bigger the 2405 is I'd appreciate it. That would work right?

qdemn7 said:
I think he was refering to the Alienware PC the guy had, NOT the 2405.
I personally wouldn't post in a 2405FPW thread, showing off my new monitor and calling my DESKTOP PC a baby ;) .

I ordered two 9300 inspirons decked out, and 5 2405FP monitors (2 for me, other 3 for my office).

The laptops arrived (love the new reflective true life screen technology and 6800 Go) and was surprised when told the wait would be 6-8 weeks on the screens that last week the screens appeared as shipped.

I called to find out and they said tracking info is often incorrect and the screens should be there mid next month :(

In any case I'm looking forward to the screens, I'm used to my 2000FP, however compared to the laptops at 1920x1200 (had an Inspiron 8600 with 1920x1200 before the 9300) the 2000FP's lack of widescreen is really noticeable.

edit: Hello page 106! :)

I OWN a 2405FP.... I ment that the Alienware was a nice waste of money, and they are, if you build your own PC you learn a heck of alot more and get a ton more power for the money, with alienware you get crappy tech support and an even uglier case.

Here ya go Chomsky. ;)

The wallpaper centered as 1600x1200 in the 2405FPW's native resolution of 1920x1200. It may not look like much more space, but because the resolution is so extreme, you can fit a lot more content in it than, say a 1680x1050 screen. :)

2405FPW-1600x1200-in-1920x1200.png

I feel ashamed to say that I'm still using 1152x864 on my desktop PC at home (I have an ancient NEC AccuSync 95F) so when I come to work and sit down in front of my 17" 1280x1024 LCD, it's a HUGE difference. Now that I'm considering getting the 2405FPW, the difference there would be phenomenal!

1152x864 - 995,328 pixels
1280x1024 - 1,310,720 pixels
1920x1200 - 2,304,000 pixels

Mysticcal said:

I OWN a 2405FP.... I ment that the Alienware was a nice waste of money, and they are, if you build your own PC you learn a heck of alot more and get a ton more power for the money, with alienware you get crappy tech support and an even uglier case.

Different strokes for different folks.

Dark-Colonel said:
Can somebody please show me a picture of a game that is not running in widescreen mode

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=908786

not a game and not a clear shot but games will take up the same amount of screen real estate when not in widescreen as the top pic. In 1600x1200 there will be no loss of image quality. Lower res will look more blurry on desktop because of scaling but I doubt you would notice it in games. I don't notice any difference between 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 in games.

Riptide_NVN said:
Dude I like your desktop theme, especially the taskbar. Where did you get it and what theme is it?

That's the media center 2005 standard theme.. They might include it in XP release 2 or something. Unless there's a remake somewhere the only chance you have of getting it is to install media center

kaemaril said:
Holy flurkin' schnit!

I just checked the Dell UK website to see if the 2405 has finally reappeared.

It sure has.

The site describes it as :

Note: 45 Days Lead Time. Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW 24" widescreen LCD Flat Panel Monitor. 500cd/m2 brightness, 1000:1 contrast, 16ms response time. Midnight Grey TCO99
£860.10
incl. VAT, shipping
Usually Ships: 3+ Weeks

My emphasis.

Buh? 45 days?!? Yeah, you ain't kidding about that 3+ weeks...

I'm just about ready to order one of these bad boys, but the lead time is killing me. Has anybody recently placed an order with them? When are you expecting your LCDs. I want this badly, but I don't know if I can wait 3+ weeks for it.

Enigma422 said:
I'm just about ready to order one of these bad boys, but the lead time is killing me. Has anybody recently placed an order with them? When are you expecting your LCDs. I want this badly, but I don't know if I can wait 3+ weeks for it.
You think the LEAD TIME is bad? Check out the price! It's shot up from £860 to £1177!

Not such a good bargain anymore, methinks...

oh, btw : Until the end of June Dell UK have got 25% off the 2005...

Enigma422 said:

I ordered on the 19th May and got the 45 day lead time quoted. However it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow - 1st June.

I also got in before the price rise :cool:

dg

_dg said:
I ordered on the 19th May and got the 45 day lead time quoted. However it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow - 1st June.

I also got in before the price rise :cool:

dg
Don't believe it until you actually hold it in your hands. I ordered it on the 13th of May and was also told that it would take 45 days+. The initial estimate for the shipping date was 21st of May, which got pushed back time and again. Sometimes there wasn't even a shipping date quoted at all. This morning it said 6th of June and now it doesn't say anything. I stopped getting my hopes up about finally receiving the monitor ;) .

According to Walsh Western courier tracking, it is sitting in the depot about 10 miles from me. The courier has 'phoned me to arrange a delivery time.

Its been there since Friday, and I wanted to fetch it myself due to the bank holiday delaying things, but the depot was closed.

So far, thumbs up the Dell and Walsh Western.

1) I was wondering... if you order the DELL UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor, would you have to buy a DVI video adapter card?

2) I am also confused about all the resolution differences and stuff. Could someone please explain.

Kjwall21 said:
1) I was wondering... if you order the DELL UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor, would you have to buy a DVI video adapter card?

2) I am also confused about all the resolution differences and stuff. Could someone please explain.

Pretty sure this is the Dell 2405FPW thread.. but

1.) You can run it off a normal VGAconnector (D-sub 15 pin; as in the blue one) but you may get a little worse image quality. (see the list of inputs listed on dell's website)

2.) LCD's want to run at 'native res' for the 2005FPW that's 1680x1050. So if your video card can do that res you should be right. Anything below that wont look very good at all because it will be streched to fill, and on an LCD that's bad.

And seriously, those two questions are pretty lame.. If you go out and read a few LCD reviews and the manual for that monitor (which you can download off the dell website) then you wouldn't have to sound so silly in front of us all.

Back