Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

L0ony! said:
The moniton never looks as big as it really is in photo's!! Strange that!! :confused:

Agreed, I just said the same thing to someone on MSN
Very strange isn't it...regardless, it's massive and fantastic.

Here's another photo of all my good stuff in a row ;)
Joey 576p hdtv on the screen.

fullbone.jpg

Hey, does anyone know about any deals out there now and who to contact? I was out of town this past weekend and missed the $8xx.xx deals that were being posted. :rolleyes:

L0ony! said:
The moniton never looks as big as it really is in photo's!! Strange that!! :confused:

it's because it has an equal size ratio to the 2005fpw, sorta like trying to figure out someone's height in a pic with no scale...anyway, mine shipped so i should get it soon....even in front of me the 2005fpw is still pretty big, i could only imagine the size of this monster

L0ony! said:
Try stapling a couple of sheets of paper together at the right size, or cut out a large piece of cardboard; And then put it/hold it on your desk in front of your current monitor. Most people will be impressed :D

Yea, i was thinking someone put their face near the monitor... I'm was hoping it was so big compared to my head, i'd feel like i was swimming in a sea of pixels.... wooOOooooOoo.. So yea maybe someting like a paper or a standard envelope with one shot going up and one across.

just ordered mine for $860 with free 2nd day shipping.. with tax, the total was $945.. AWESOME DEAL. . can't be happier... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Paul please check your PM mate!!

I have just ordered that Keyboard, I couldn't resist, I have been looking at it all week as I want something to replace my current keyboard that doesn't really go with the colour of my new monitor!!

I'm loving the 2405 BTW, one sweet bit of kit. Next........ August and a new PC built around the new 512MB cards due out from ATI and Nvidia :D

L0ony! said:
Paul please check your PM mate!!

I have just ordered that Keyboard, I couldn't resit, I have been looking at it all week as I want something to replace my current keyboard that doesn't really go with the colour of my new monitor!!

I'm loving the 2405 BTW, one sweet bit of kit. Next........ August and a new PC built around the new 512MB cards due out from ATI and Nvidia :D
Who makes that keyboard? I like it a lot better than mine.

the price of these are getting amazing, i really want to get one to replace my current 17" LCD. i can just imagine having this beast in front of me, and there are some crazy deals going on for these now.

ONE said:
just ordered mine for $860 with free 2nd day shipping.. with tax, the total was $945.. AWESOME DEAL. . can't be happier... :cool: :cool: :cool:
Where can I get that deal?

Nobody out there to answer my question???

How about the audibility of the monitor? Is there any noise by a fan or maybe the power supply??? If yes this would bother me running a silent system!

Please prick up your ears to figure this out!!!

Mr Rasta. No buzzing/whining whatsoever on my Dell 2005fpw. I have a 2 year old Samsung CRT 955df monitor that just started making a high pitched squeak for about 30-a minute after the computer went to stand by or shut off. It is in storage now.

roaf85 said:
Mr Rasta. No buzzing/whining whatsoever on my Dell 2005fpw. I have a 2 year old Samsung CRT 955df monitor that just started making a high pitched squeak for about 30-a minute after the computer went to stand by or shut off. It is in storage now.

You mean the 2405FPW right?

even if it did dell replace em. my dads 2001fp started buzzing and it was replaced within 48 hours.

paulspiteri said:

Paulspiteri,

What are you using as the video source in that pic? Is it a tuner card? Cause my tuner card is so lame, it could never look that good. Or, is it a DVD of the series of the show?

I'm not interested in Friends, but I am interested in being able to watch some TV PIP while working. I have standard cable, and presently have it split to a tuner card. The quality is really bad - but they've checked the lines and I get great signal strength and a solid 6MB / 768 bandwidth of the shared line. But, my TV signals just don't look that good.

Dim-Ize

raider55 said:
Where can I get that deal?
here are ur options:

Option 1: Call 1-800-456-3355 ext. 7240141 then 5783 (Brad)
Option 2: Call 1-800-456-3355 ext. 7958706 (Marty)

Tell them this is for the 2405FPW flat panel display for $860

:) :)

Dim-Ize said:
Paulspiteri,

What are you using as the video source in that pic? Is it a tuner card? Cause my tuner card is so lame, it could never look that good. Or, is it a DVD of the series of the show?

Dim-Ize

It's a divx of the TV show, so no it isn't tv tuner.

Have you tried your tv tuner through this program?
http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/
It does a better job than normal for picture quality.

Happy Hopping said:
Looking at the girl, you can easily see the vertical lines on her skin (leg), is that the limit of today's LCD technology?
I guess you didn't realize that the pic is a digital photo that is larger than the actual screen size. I have to scroll it on my screen. You do not see vertical lines when sitting in front of it. Basically the image is magnified. I should have posted a 1920x1200 jpg of it.

just ordered mine for $860 with free 2nd day shipping.. with tax, the total was $938.. AWESOME DEAL. . Can't be happier...and anxiously awaiting for it. Hope I have as good of luck with quality as everyone else seems to have had!! Looking forward to its arrival. :) :) Rep was great!

Any suggestions for a fantastic TV-DVR card?

I looked at the WinTV-PVR 250, 250MCE, 350 (I like the idea of a Hardware MPEG-2 decoder), and the 500MCE (dual tuner vs. (2)-250's). But none have the true HDTV, do they?

dadj said:
That's just what i was wondering about.. I'm currently on a 22" CRT and the 2405 almost looks small to me.. hope its just the pictures. Could someone tell me what the height of the actual screen itself is (so just the viewable area)?

That 22" is probably 20" viewable. This panel is 24" viewable. 20.something if you use 1600x1200 1:1 mode.

paulspiteri said:
It's a divx of the TV show, so no it isn't tv tuner.

Have you tried your tv tuner through this program?
http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/
It does a better job than normal for picture quality.

i know a few peeps who use Dscaler for thier tft/plasmas/dlp tvs with thier HTPCs. nad its meant to do great job

hey anyone running 1600 x 1200 with the black bars on the side for Windows?
widescreen just doesn't look right to me

EnderW said:

If you are referring to the desktop then I think I speak for everyone here with this panel when I say HELL NO! If you are talking about games then I don't run 1:1 while playing games. I leave my display set to fill. Any game that runs at 1920x1200 I play at that res, otherwise its 1600x1200 full screen.

EnderW said:

That doesn't make sense, your comment on how it doesn't look right. Your saying you'd rather disable the 170 extra pixels on each side and have 1600*1200 centered on the screen, which would make it just about the size of a 2001fpw 20.1inch screen. Having the full native res doesn't do anything besides add pixels to the sides for more work area, it doesn't cause any distortions. If you don't want a webpage full width then size it it smaller.

Unless your only talking about games, then I see no problem with that and you'd have black bars on the sides 170pixels wide each. You just need to go into the screen options and set it for 1:1, so it doesn't stretch it to the screen. But if you want to do this for your desktop, then a 2001fpw will work just fine for you

tesfaye said:
If you are referring to the desktop then I think I speak for everyone here with this panel when I say HELL NO! If you are talking about games then I don't run 1:1 while playing games. I leave my display set to fill. Any game that runs at 1920x1200 I play at that res, otherwise its 1600x1200 full screen.

You can also use 1680*1050 lower res that's still 16:10 and will stretch to fill the screen without any distortion or squishing like 1600*1200 would do stretched.

Hey guys, can anyone here confirm which specific powerbook models this monitor works properly with? I know that it works with "some powerbook" because we all saw those early pictures, but I need to know which video option that is.. In particular, though, it would be good if someone could confirm that this monitor works with the 12 inch powerbook's mini DVI output from the onboard 5200Go ... thanks

ONE said:
here are ur options:

Option 1: Call 1-800-456-3355 ext. 7240141 then 5783 (Brad)
Option 2: Call 1-800-456-3355 ext. 7958706 (Marty)

Tell them this is for the 2405FPW flat panel display for $860

:) :)
LOL that was easy, just ordered mine!!!!! free 3 day shipping. YES!!!!

nippyjun said:
Does anyone know why dell would offer this brand new monitor at $860?

The answer is easy: Dell wanted to offer me an affordable upgrade from my (brand spankin' new) 2005fpw just in time for my birthday!

Many thanks go to Brad at Dell, these boards, good timing, and falling a few days from the limits of the 21 day "Total Satisfaction Guarenteed" return policy.

I nabbed this sucker for $906 shipped after taxes with 2nd day air free. I'm just hoping I don't have to exchange the 2405fpw like I did with the 2005fpw to get a good one. Count me in as looking forward to dadj's findings with the Lacie.

I just played a game and WOW - this thing kicks my VP171b's ass!! I mean the screen is HUGE (and Halo only runs in 1600x1200), but it was so much brighter and more detailed too.

paulspiteri said:

fullbone.jpg

what is that blue cylinder at the background?

And to get HDTV? What is the requirement? Is it just that screen and a regular Dish box, or is there something extra I need?

Happy Hopping said:
what is that blue cylinder at the background?

And to get HDTV? What is the requirement? Is it just that screen and a regular Dish box, or is there something extra I need?

I'm sure whatever he used to watch HDTV was either with hardware provided from his digital cable or dish service. And maybe connected through the component cables on the back (red green and blue)

Or you can get the ATI HDTV card. It cost $200 and only picks up HDTV from free digital airway signals. It comes with the antenna and it picks up the digital stations of which some are HDTV. You can check your area for local signals through links at ATI's website on the product. I think it also can view regular cable when connected, but not sure.

I'm guessing that blue cylinder has something to do with water cooling, a giant radiator of some sort, you can see the pump and hoses next to it.

Back