Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

dadj said:
I am a designer/animator and do graphic/photo work on a Lacie electron 22 blue IV CRT monitor and i will be receiving the Dell 2405 the 14th of march for use alongside the (calibrated) Lacie. I will try to adjust the Dell to be as close to the Lacie as possible. If you guys want me to, I can then post my findings here. I cant wait to get it in, just hope I dont have any dead pixels..
great idea
keep us updated

What's the screen coating like on the 2405? Is it similar to that on the 2001/05?

JonDo[H] said:
Tesfaye, what games have you tried out on it so far? I'm very interested to know how World of Warcraft looks if you've got it. Have you just upgraded from a 2001FP?

I have upgraded from a 2001FP. I have played a ton of CS:S, HL2, TOCA2 and have watched a few movies on the 2405FPW. I have Far Cry but I haven't installed it since upgrading my computer. I will try that later today.

tesfaye said:
I have upgraded from a 2001FP. I have played a ton of CS:S, HL2, TOCA2 and have watched a few movies on the 2405FPW. I have Far Cry but I haven't installed it since upgrading my computer. I will try that later today.

So how is the upgrade for you personally? Does it feel like a big step up from your old screen?

Woohoo! mine is finally on it's way! (or on it's way to being on it's way)

megmond said:
I'm wondering also, whether the 2405 is washed out, or the 2005 has 'too much' color. After all, like in paint programs you can increase the saturation of pictures to get more color, but it doesn't show the picture anymore as it was intended.
rainbow.jpg

I remember reading a review where the author felt that the S-IPS panels exaggerated the colors a little bit. I had that impression when I got my 2001FP but it wasn't so terrible that I had to return it. I adjusted it later on and was very pleased with the color from it. Just like all TV's that you buy, you need to adjust/calibrate them to get the most out of them. Personally I don't see where the color is "wahsed out". It is fair to say that the colors are not as vibrant as the 2001FP or 2005FPW but then again that might be good thing if accuracy is the main concern. Can someone with experience in calibrating displays give us an opinion on the color quality with the 2405FPW?

JonDo[H] said:
excellent results! Is CS very playable at those settings?

Just thought I'd add, with those numbers, you could prob get away with upping the AA to 4x in HL2. Not that you probably need to ;)

CS:S is smooth as butter at those settings. At 1920x1200 and even 1600x1200 AA settings higher than 2x aren't all the necessary. I love it at 2x AA.

Riptide_NVN said:
Just wish I didn't have that dead pixel. :(

I have no dead pixels! :p
I had a stuck pixel on my 2001FP right smack in the middle of the screen but you only saw it once in a while. It was hard to spot if you were actually using the display and not thinking about it. A dead pixel in the corner of the screen? I think you will be ok. lol I think we need to start a support group for those of us with stuck/dead pixels on our displays.

JonDo[H] said:
What's the screen coating like on the 2405? Is it similar to that on the 2001/05?

I don't know how they coated this panel but it does a great job of not reflecting anything. If you have a lot of light on your self and you are wearing a light color then you might see a faint blob on the screen but its really faint.

tesfaye said:
I don't know how they coated this panel but it does a great job of not reflecting anything. If you have a lot of light on your self and you are wearing a light color then you might see a faint blob on the screen but its really faint.

lol I'll not wear my reflectors indoors then ;)

I've just caved in and ordered one. Unfortunately, it's not due until at least the 15th, but that's plenty of time to get excited. Once it arrives, I'll do plenty of comparisons between my current 2005fpw and it, take a few photos, and let you all know what I think. What did it for me in the end was the thought of having no backlight issues. Sounds too good to be true. Now I can't wait :D

Btw tesfaye, you didn't answer my question! :) Does it feel like a major visual improvement over your 2001fp?

JonDo[H] said:
lol I'll not wear my reflectors indoors then ;)

I've just caved in and ordered one. Unfortunately, it's not due until at least the 15th, but that's plenty of time to get excited. Once it arrives, I'll do plenty of comparisons between my current 2005fpw and it, take a few photos, and let you all know what I think. What did it for me in the end was the thought of having no backlight issues. Sounds too good to be true. Now I can't wait :D

Btw tesfaye, you didn't answer my question! :) Does it feel like a major visual improvement over your 2001fp?

Oh? Sorry. I think it is a definate improvement. Response is better, colors seem a little more accurate. The boldness of the 2001FP would cause some movies with strong colors to look a little artificially colorful. I didn't see this when watching the Fifth Element but ExtremeTech mentioned something about color banding. If there is, I'm still keeping the display. :D

tesfaye said:
Oh? Sorry. I think it is a definate improvement. Response is better, colors seem a little more accurate. The boldness of the 2001FP would cause some movies with strong colors to look a little artificially colorful. I didn't see this when watching the Fifth Element but ExtremeTech mentioned something about color banding. If there is, I'm still keeping the display. :D

Yay!

<--------- super pleased :D

tesfaye said:

btw, you mention films, how about games? Do colours look more accurate in them?

JonDo[H] said:
btw, you mention films, how about games? Do colours look more accurate in them?

Well, that one is tough. I think the colors don't jump out at me as much as they did on the 2001FP. In my opinion that is a good thing. I wish I still had my Sony G520 to compare. That monitor was calibrated and looked fantastic. From memory I would have to say that aside from the black detail that is improved from the 2001FP that the 2405FPW comes close the Sony G520. I can't say that there is anything wrong with this display that will jump out at you and take away from the experience. If you are moving up from a 2005(no reason to even have this model in my opinion due to it's oddball resolution) or a 2001 then you have made an excellent purchasing decision. We need to wait until the fellow with the Lacie gets around to testing when his screen comes in. Personally I am curious but I am not worried about it. It's one of those things that you have to accept with LCD's. They are not up there with tubes yet in color reproduction. Close but not perfect. The apple mongers can talk all the bullshit that they want. Thier displays aren't even close to perfect. The new ones may be improved but they don't stack up next to a tube either. BUY BUY BUY!!! lol.

What videocards are you guys using? I have a nvidia 6800 HT at Ultra speed (gainward GS) but im playing my games at 1024x768 cause the new ones dont play as smooth at higher resolutions.. /me wonders if my 533MHz FSB is limiting my performance...

Think that WoW will be playable @ 1920 x 1200 (60fps+) with full detail on a 9800 pro, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram?

For about the same price I can get this 30" LCD

Stylish, versatile, cutting-edge and top quality, Ultra's thin-panel LCD TV is HD-compatible to offer the ultimate high definition television viewing experience. Designed for use with your HD-antenna, -cable box or satellite receiver, Ultra never looked so good. Plus, you get a dual tuner that lets you split the screen and watch two stations, or the TV and your PC, or the TV and a game system at the same time.

Features:

Picture-in-Picture (PIP)
Ultra-thin less than 4" (without stand)
HD Ready - Supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i Input resolutions (Requires satellite, digital cable or HD antenna - additional fees may apply).
HD antenna, satellite or HD cable box not included
Widescreen Aspect Ratio (16:9)
1280 X 768 Resolution
600:1 Contrast ratio
TV stand mounted or easily converted to wall mount. (Wall mount hardware not included)
170-degree viewing angle: Enjoy viewing from almost anywhere in the room.
Detachable monitor stand (included)
Wall mountable using optional wall mount bracket (not included)
Detachable speakers
Media box (Tuner connection box for all input and output jacks)
Tuner specifications: Two NTSC cable ready TV tuners
1 DVI Input
2 HD Component (Y Pr Pb) Video Inputs
1 RGB (VGA) Input
1 S-Video Input
2 Sets RCA-Type A/V INPV Inputs
2 Coaxial Inputs
1 Set RCA-Type A/V Outputs
1 Headphone Output
Dimensions: Height: 21.1" with stand or 19.1" without stand.
Width: 37" with speakers or 29.1" without speakers
Depth: 8.7" with stand or 4.7" with media box and no stand or 3.3" without stand or media box
Weight: 48.4 lbs with stand and media box
Warranty: 1-Year parts & labor

Sparky said:
For about the same price I can get this 30" LCD

Stylish, versatile, cutting-edge and top quality, Ultra's thin-panel LCD TV is HD-compatible to offer the ultimate high definition television viewing experience. Designed for use with your HD-antenna, -cable box or satellite receiver, Ultra never looked so good. Plus, you get a dual tuner that lets you split the screen and watch two stations, or the TV and your PC, or the TV and a game system at the same time.

Features:

Picture-in-Picture (PIP)
Ultra-thin less than 4" (without stand)
HD Ready - Supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i Input resolutions (Requires satellite, digital cable or HD antenna - additional fees may apply).
HD antenna, satellite or HD cable box not included
Widescreen Aspect Ratio (16:9)
1280 X 768 Resolution
600:1 Contrast ratio
TV stand mounted or easily converted to wall mount. (Wall mount hardware not included)
170-degree viewing angle: Enjoy viewing from almost anywhere in the room.
Detachable monitor stand (included)
Wall mountable using optional wall mount bracket (not included)
Detachable speakers
Media box (Tuner connection box for all input and output jacks)
Tuner specifications: Two NTSC cable ready TV tuners
1 DVI Input
2 HD Component (Y Pr Pb) Video Inputs
1 RGB (VGA) Input
1 S-Video Input
2 Sets RCA-Type A/V INPV Inputs
2 Coaxial Inputs
1 Set RCA-Type A/V Outputs
1 Headphone Output
Dimensions: Height: 21.1" with stand or 19.1" without stand.
Width: 37" with speakers or 29.1" without speakers
Depth: 8.7" with stand or 4.7" with media box and no stand or 3.3" without stand or media box
Weight: 48.4 lbs with stand and media box
Warranty: 1-Year parts & labor

What are you smoking? I hope that was a joke. :rolleyes:
Check the specs AGAIN.

1280 X 768 Resolution

What good is that?

Well just got confirmation that I will receive my panel between tuesday and thursday next week.

Probably the first in Canada I think.

I got a question : For the people who already got there 2405 is there a revision you are getting like A00 or A01 from mexico??

LMK

Mcklain

You can watch tv/dvd along side your desktop and for my applications its more practical then the Dell.

tesfaye said:
What are you smoking? I hope that was a joke. :rolleyes:
Check the specs AGAIN.

1280 X 768 Resolution

What good is that?

Hahahahahaha 1280 X 768

I can get 30" LCD's-of-crap all day long in that price range.
I wont buy another HDTV unless it can do 1080p. Stick with my 34" CRT HDTV for now.

Anyone know if this display will work on a Mac Mini. Apparently the Mini's Max DVI res is 1920x1200. Also says on fatwallet the compatibility is PC.

I didn't see anything about macs? :confused:

Should work fine through your DVI. One of the first pictures I saw posted here was a 2405 being driven by a 17" Powerbook.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/common/product_list.aspx?family_cd=LCD01

Samsung has updated their monitor panels to show a 8ms response time. This is just one more feather in the cap of the 2405FPW. Maybe response time also has to do with electronics that go inside to so I don't know but I'm happy to see the them reduced. The 1680x1050 21 inch panel they have, I bet with in 6 months those will be on the shelf Samsung Version for $500ish. david

atlwriter said:
Should work fine through your DVI. One of the first pictures I saw posted here was a 2405 being driven by a 17" Powerbook.
well the mini only has a radeon 9200 (32mb) the 17in powerbook has a Radeon 9700 in it.

i ask b/c the Mini's max supported DVI res is 1920x1200 and i was wondering if that would cause any problems being run at that ALL the time?
Also on dells site it only says PC compatible but i'm guessing thats just so they dont' have to support MAC configurations :confused:

you guys think this monitor is out in stores yet? And if not when do you think it will hit shelves?

raider55 said:
you guys think this monitor is out in stores yet? And if not when do you think it will hit shelves?
Stores? Are there any Dell stores? I was under the impression that they only sold their stuff direct.

liquidtrance123 said:
well the mini only has a radeon 9200 (32mb) the 17in powerbook has a Radeon 9700 in it.

i ask b/c the Mini's max supported DVI res is 1920x1200 and i was wondering if that would cause any problems being run at that ALL the time?
Also on dells site it only says PC compatible but i'm guessing thats just so they dont' have to support MAC configurations :confused:

Don't worry, this is a complete non-issue :) The Mac Mini is completely 100% okay to use with the 23 inch apple cinema display through DVI at 1920x1200..... there is no difference between that and the 2405FPW in terms of the connector and signal required.. It'll work fine :cool:

Notions of PC vs. Mac support are outdated when it comes to any of the newer models, since they have almost uniformly had DVI or VGA for a very long time now.

Maad said:
Notions of PC vs. Mac support are outdated when it comes to any of the newer models, since they have almost uniformly had DVI or VGA for a very long time now.
Not entirely true; a mac display on the pc wont allow you to set all the options because a pc driver (with options) simply never was made/released. Also, for some reason the Mac displays won't show any image untill windows started up, on some pc videocards. This means if you need to boot into dos or make Bios changes you'll need to hook up a different monitor on most video cards. The nvidia 6x00 cards are said to work however.

Mcklain said:
Well just got confirmation that I will receive my panel between tuesday and thursday next week.

Probably the first in Canada I think.

I got a question : For the people who already got there 2405 is there a revision you are getting like A00 or A01 from mexico??

LMK

Mcklain

Made in China January 2005 B8A

dadj said:
Not entirely true; a mac display on the pc wont allow you to set all the options because a pc driver (with options) simply never was made/released. Also, for some reason the Mac displays won't show any image untill windows started up, on some pc videocards. This means if you need to boot into dos or make Bios changes you'll need to hook up a different monitor on most video cards. The nvidia 6x00 cards are said to work however.

Some people had the same issue with Dell's 2005FPW. I very much doubt it has anything to do with Mac vs. PC "support".

pikawel said:
The higher the contrast ratio, the more accurate your blacks will be.

That I know. But if you have 500 cd/m2, for those who own this Dell, isn't it too bright? Then you have to turn down the cd/m2, if so, can you turn it down to a point that your eye is comfortable with? How much can you turn down?

Guys, here's an email I just received from darkswordsman17, a golden member of Anandtech. He's recently upgraded from his Dell 2005FPW to the 2405FPW, and I got in touch with him to ask him what he thought of it - specifically relating to the washed out colour issue. Here was his reply:-

"Ok, I think I might've found something with the ATi drivers that, for
me
is a nice fix for it. I went into the control panel (I'm not currently
using the CCC though) and went into the Color tab. Under there, I
lowered the gamma to 0.66 (default is I think 3.5). Now colors are very
vibrant and deep. It looks quite a bit better. In fact, it looks much
better than the 2005 ever did (I kinda felt that it had a little bit of
a problem with looking kinda washed out as well, but I left everything
at default on it, so I'm pretty sure this would work there as well. You
might give it a try. I just got done doing that, so I haven't tested
how WoW now looks. I was able to get it to look pretty good colorwise
as well by adjusting the gamma in the game's menu (but could still
notice some of the kinda washed out look). Oh, and the brightness is
still at 75. I had actually lowered gamma all the way but my wallpaper
which is this black windows logo with blue electric effects around it,
it looked a little too dark, so I tried changing brightness, but that
didn't really help, so i set it back to 75 and then changed the gamma
to 0.66 and it looks very nice and colorful now, and doesn't seem too
dark or anything.

I've been meaning to get pics up, and I'll try to get some up that show
the comparison of defualt to what I now have the monitor at.

I'll try to get more games like Doom3 and HL2 and a few others up as
well and see how it does on them.

And yeah, with Far Cry's default settings it did look kinda washed out,
but after adjusting some things (gamma, contrast, brightness) it looks
awesome now. I think that is probably what is going to be the deal with
this monitor. It has the capability, it just needs some adjustment to
get there.

Oh, and I set everything to high or ultra high in Far Cry with
1920x1200
(including AA, and AF is set at the highest of 4) and it runs smooth. I
think I would probably get by with medium AA and it'd make it smooth
all the time (it never slowed down while I was playing max everything
including when I was fighting several enemies, but sometimes you could
almost feel it wanted to, which sounds strange but thats the best I
could describe it as). Of course I have an X850XT PE so, the only way I
could really get smoother is with dual 6800GTs or Ultras. Hopefully
this week I'll get my replacement GT and be able to put it in (I really
want DVC with this monitor, and I'm almost certainly going to go SLI).
I can't wait to see what HDR looks like on this (I'm pretty sure its
gonna be nonplayable though, but we'll see).

I really like this monitor though, better than even a 2001 and 2005 in
a
dual monitor setup.

If there's any more questions you have I'll see if I can't answer them
for you.

I can pretty much guarantee you will not be disappointed with this one.
It shows that Dell has been learning with each monitor they produce. Oh
and whatever video processing chip they have in this baby, it seems to
be very good, as scaling the 640x480 resolutions of consoles to the
full 1920x1200 looks very good. Oh yeah, I tried the Xbox on it, and it
looked good. There's one minor problem (thats really not that bad) is
that it kinda exacerbates the lower resolution textures. But colors and
things like that look very good and Halo 2 looked pretty amazing. I
tried Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing 2, and Crimson Skies and they all
looked very nice. The menus in PGR2 look like crap though (for some
reason they're kinda blurry and not that great) but the actual racing
looks fine. I don't know what it is, but the Gamecube still gained the
biggest improvement, not quite sure why, but when I put Wind Waker on,
my jaw just dropped. The colors were so great and it looked just
amazing. Metroid Prime 2 did as well, especially all those little
subtle things that make that games visuals so great (like the glow
effects of various things, the water as it flows off of the visor and
all those other neat little things). Some earlier games like Smash
Bros. Melee didn't look quite as nice because of the low res textures,
but again the colors just popped off the screen."

I certainly didn't expect such a thorough answer, and I owe him big time for it. Hopefully it can help you guys too. Cheers darkswordsman17!

Back