Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

@ paulspiteri: You seem to have a silent system using Zalman's Reserator !
Can you detect any noise by the 2405 FP by cooling fan or the power supply???

And is the Reserator's pump really inaudible ???

That's important to me because I'm just building up my Home-Recording-Studio ;)

nippyjun said:
Does anyone know why dell would offer this brand new monitor at $860?

because they can....it probably doesn't cost half as much to build, the only reason competing lcd's cost that much is because they aren't alot of widescreen out there at that size to choose from...2005fpw cost half as much as the apple of similar size, same thing for the 2405, its practically cost half as much or close to it if u dont count tax against the most expensive widescreen close to its size

Happy Hopping said:
what is that blue cylinder at the background?

And to get HDTV? What is the requirement? Is it just that screen and a regular Dish box, or is there something extra I need?

That is the Zalman Reserator.

Passive Water Cooling kit!!

Mcklain

Damn!!

There selling it extremly high in France. 1264 Euro goes for 1675$ US. People around here are getting it at 1/2 that price. Amazing.

Mcklain

Yes, for us, french users, and readers of HardForum, that's quite difficult to read all the positive reviews and comments, as we are totally bluffed by the price Dell France sells this 2405 FPW.
Almost 1700 USD, including VAT ?
Are they crazy ?
Moreover, the commercial people will make no rebate at all, since it is a brand new product (has been on french website since last friday) :confused:

I am actually using a combination of Samsung 193P as main screen, and Samsung 171S as second display, and I would do anything to trade this for a 1900x1200 desktop on a 24" wide, but at this price, no way !

Why such a difference in price ? For you guys who can get it at 900 $ including taxes, that should make it for us around 700 euros, not 1264 !

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHhh ! :(

on est vraiment des cons en france ..... :( on nous prends pour des vaches à lait !! merde !!!

TimothyB said:
I'm sure whatever he used to watch HDTV was either with hardware provided from his digital cable or dish service. And maybe connected through the component cables on the back (red green and blue)

Or you can get the ATI HDTV card. It cost $200 and only picks up HDTV from free digital airway signals. It comes with the antenna and it picks up the digital stations of which some are HDTV. You can check your area for local signals through links at ATI's website on the product. I think it also can view regular cable when connected, but not sure.

I'm guessing that blue cylinder has something to do with water cooling, a giant radiator of some sort, you can see the pump and hoses next to it.

That Joey is an Xvid that he downloaded and played back with a media player. A "cough" torr*nt. I watch Joey in HD like that every week, and 24.

No commercials and awesome quality.

TimothyB said:
I'm sure whatever he used to watch HDTV was either with hardware provided from his digital cable or dish service. And maybe connected through the component cables on the back (red green and blue)

Or you can get the ATI HDTV card. It cost $200 and only picks up HDTV from free digital airway signals. It comes with the antenna and it picks up the digital stations of which some are HDTV. You can check your area for local signals through links at ATI's website on the product. I think it also can view regular cable when connected, but not sure.

I'm guessing that blue cylinder has something to do with water cooling, a giant radiator of some sort, you can see the pump and hoses next to it.

Also, the ATI HDTV Wonder sucks. I owned it for about two weeks. It was horrible. I now have the HD Cable box from BrightHouse. Much better.

MrRasta said:

your asking if the 2405 will make any noise? There are no fans in LCD's

:confused:

Mcklain said:
Damn!!

There selling it extremly high in France. 1264 Euro goes for 1675$ US. People around here are getting it at 1/2 that price. Amazing.

Mcklain

same in the uk we are almost paying double as well:/ just as well i am abel to claim vat back

TheGameguru said:
your asking if the 2405 will make any noise? There are no fans in LCD's

:confused:

I believe there might be one or two out there in the market that actually do have fans built-in for cooling purposes, especially since the power adapter is integrated into the monitor bezel.

This is super annoying - I ordered last week and my order is STILL in production. No idea what the hold up is. Any Californians in the same boat?

I have sky multirooms in my room so have a digi-box. I have a cable that has Scart to S-VHS.

I cannot get my monitor to display using this cable, although I have got it working through composite.

Am I doing something wrong!!

Yaka said:
same in the uk we are almost paying double as well:/ just as well i am abel to claim vat back

i guess i'll chime in with a "me too" post. the price here in belgium is the same as in france. i couldn't resist though. still waiting for mine to arrive (it's in production, whatever that means).

aye me too, caved in despite the stupidly inflated costs...

Bear in mind though, it's only because of America's extremely weak value of the dollar that their prices look so good to us Europeans. That said, we're still getting shafted :p

i blame the people in this forum for buying one, so it better be good! hell hath no fury like a pissed off canned polar bear.

[edit, i even bought a new computer drive this beast.. well, at least that's my excuse]

TimothyB said:
You can also use 1680*1050 lower res that's still 16:10 and will stretch to fill the screen without any distortion or squishing like 1600*1200 would do stretched.

1680*1050 or any 16:10 resolution would do IF the game in question supported it. Most don't. The ones that do go up to 1920x1200. Now if it's a horsepower issue then yeah I would drop down to 1880*1050 or whatever 16:10 res is playable. Luckily for me that aint the case! :)

MrRasta said:

Hi
Ok first of all, the monitor is essentially silent ok. I was standing behind one of the 2405fpw's in work yesterday, plugging in cables to it and I did notice a buzzing from the integrated PSU but i'm talking about with my ear against the back of the monitor.

If anything you have this monitor further back than a normal monitor, due to it's size. It's completely silent ok (and it has no fans). Gets fairly warm on top !

About the reserator - fantastic piece of kit but flawed. The water pump provided is useless and will break within 3 months, i guarentee. By break I mean get incredibly loud from intially silent, where the rattling noise became so irritating i was turning it off for a few minutes just to stop from going mad, until temperatures reached critical.

I personally went through two, and my friend who bought at the same time is now on his 3rd.

I'm on my 3rd pump too, but as you can see i decided to buy a proper external pump rather than the TINY one provided. It seems to be lasting.
This is all with distilled water too.

@ paulspiteri: Thank you for your posting. I'm glad to hear that the 2405 FP is fanless as well
as noiseless. On the other hand I'm really disappointed about your Reserator-Statement because I planned to integrate one in my system too :(
But in fact there is no serious alternative if you want to go silent!

Yeah! It's great, but either wait for the Reserator 2, or be ready with an external proper pump a couple of months later.
it was a very strange clanging/knocking/banging noise from the pumps after a few months of 24/7 running !

Back on topic now ;)

Is the successor of Reserator-1 already announced??? Don't want to wait for years :mad:

I just got mine, used dead pixel tester posted a few (maybe tens) of pages back. No dead pixels! On another note, how do i adjust brightness? Im using DVI.

Recieved my 2405 today. Did anyone else recieve their 2405 with the VGA connector already plugged into the back of the panel?

CalKenneth said:
This is super annoying - I ordered last week and my order is STILL in production. No idea what the hold up is. Any Californians in the same boat?

Yep, same boat. Though i did only order on Friday. My rep said it would be 10-11 days until it shipped, estimated ship date is 3/21.

zim said:
Yep, same boat. Though i did only order on Friday. My rep said it would be 10-11 days until it shipped, estimated ship date is 3/21.

Not to rub it in, but to give you hope:

I ordered Friday morning 3/4/05 and had an initial shipping date of the 21st. Then yesterday my status changed to shipped. It left Nashville, TN Monday 3/7 at 7PM. Should have it tomorrow. I live in NY, maybe this has something to do with it? I know I've heard of shipments originating from Texas also.

zim said:

I ordered first thing on Friday morning as well. Mine also says 3/21.

ordered mine on monday 03/07, it says it will ship on 03/21....hopefully, they will ship it much earlier than that...

Equalizer said:
Recieved my 2405 today. Did anyone else recieve their 2405 with the VGA connector already plugged into the back of the panel?

Yeah i guess they might test them using that, or something. The ones we had delivered were the same.

It's nice to see all of these 2405WFP zero dead pixel reports.

I hate to bring down the average but I have a pixel stuck on red a few inches off dead center and a stuck pixel on red in the lower left corner. I figured I'd post so people know that every monitor isn't being delivered with zero dead pixels. Cross your fingers.

Everything else is what I expected (a great display).

It's a shame that a single bad pixel right in the middle of a monitor will cause a month of waiting for the return/replacement process. I'm encouraged that so few people it seems are having bad pixels so there's hope my next 2405WFP will be a zero pixel version (unless we start getting the returned monitors with dead pixels as replacements) What does Dell do with the monitors that have 1-5 dead pixels? Resell them?

Someone could buy these panels and sell them at a little bit of a discount to other countries. compared to the 1199. and still make a profit. Hey, if you guys want your panels, use your resources!

mine is also due 3rd week of March, I hope it comes sooner :(

Shamann said:
What does Dell do with the monitors that have 1-5 dead pixels? Resell them?
I'm guessing they send them out as replacements to people like you or I that sent one back in for the same problem. ;)

Just a guess... But if you do an exchange and have a problem with the replacement I'd think about refund. Then just place another order so you get a NEW unit. Just an idea, and I hope it doesn't come to that in both of our cases.

Just got mine hooked up. Very beautiful. No dead pixels that I can find. PC games look great, but on XBox, the screen kinda...vibrates...every few seconds. Dunno what to make of that yet. It isn't THAT noticable, but still kinda annoying.

Anyone know if this monitor will perform OK with a Sapphire Radeon Atlantis 9600 video card (with 256MB DDR)?

Just finished hooking up the 2405.

I'm using the component out of my HD Cable box and the DVI out of my old, old, old AIW Radeon 8500. 1920 x 1200 works no prob.

Discovery HD looks jaw dropping, easily bests my buddies 36" HD WEGA.

I switched from a 22" Flat CRT and right now the colors seem odd to me on this, but I haven't got into any adjusting yet. I did have to turn the brightness way down just to sit in front of it.

Gotta go to work now but will post more tonight. (Bartender...)

I wonder where the people who were going to use a LACIE or other hardware tool went? It'd be nice to see what their results were like. :)

Back