Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

The first 2 pics are to display any backlight leakage and there is NONE!!!

This monitor is more than awesome...its f0oking fantastic!!

If you are going to make one purchase for your PC and or you fancy treating yourself......... you have to have one of these things!!

These pics do not show just how huge this screen is...

I have played Far Cry and HL2 all day and I cannot get over what this monitor does to enhance the visual quality and overall feel of the games!!

You have to get one!!

Loony, that looks fantastic!! So no bluish tint problems then? Also, what screen did you upgrade from? I'm still trying to work out whether it's worth the upgrade from a 2005fp.

Any chance you could post some Far Cry/HL2 shots? Also, do you have anything with which you can test the component?

Cheers mate!

Wow looking good there. I especially like how there doesn't seem to be backlight issues. Maybe Dell has an all-around winner on their hands here?

Also, how did you get the backlight all black shots to look so black? Those photos are SO dark that appears there isn't a backlight even on!! :)

Loony, your photos are messed up, it's totally black.... Oh, is that the backlight of the magical 2405 you say???? Ohohoho my.... jesus, i've never more been impressed by 100% darkness in my life.. Oh where's my monitor, my monitor! where is it??? I dunno, do you see it?

Alright enough of my Bill Murry impression...

Re-ordered for 960 + free UPS from gabe...

Unfortunately I think I reduced them too much, I will get them back to there original size and post tomorrow, (as its very late here in the UK at the moment)

Let me tell you..

There is not backlight leakage issue with this monitor, NONE WHATSOEVER!!!

What you see is what I see, absaloute blackness, I played HL2 earlier and Black area's of the game are completely Black. Yet in other area's the colours is so vibrant. Playing games at 1920 x 1200 is absaloutly fantastic, this monitor is probably the best purchase I have ever made in terms of upgrading... it is a must for every gamer or graphics designer... In a word "Stunning"!!!

Ok guys, it's all unpacked and set up and I took a photo of it:

IMG_1162_sml.JPG

Click here for the large version.

With those darker shots, right mouse click and save as, then change your desktop wallpaper to black and mount them as your wallpaper but do not stretch ..use center

Then you will not have the whiteness of the imageshack website blurring the image!!

give it a try!!

Loony, you're in the UK??

Whereabouts did you buy the screen from? My credit card's raring to go! ;)

Fuzz please tell these guys about the backlight leakage or the none existence of it :D

You guys are going to be so happy in a few days!!!!!!!!

OK mine has been on for about 3 hours straight now.

The verdict is: no backlight issue! Awesome.

I do have one pixel on the left side far from the center that is stuck green when on black.

Riptide_NVN said:

I do have one pixel on the left side far from the center that is stuck green when on black.

doh! Still, those individual pixels must be tiny ;)

Can you take any shots Riptide?

JonDo[H] said:
doh! Still, those individual pixels must be tiny ;)

Can you take any shots Riptide?
Of the stuck pixel? I doubt it. It's so tiny it'd be near impossible to pick up with the camera. I'll try taking some more images otherwise though. :)

hehe

Damn, I can't contain my excitement! I'd really like to see some in-game shots running on one of these screens. Atm, I want to order one of these in the UK but my only choices atm are either direct through Dell, where they quote a 7 day delivery time, or from a Dell reseller on Ebayer - have dealt with before, but he states he won't be receiving any screens until the 15th.

Damn damn damn :p

For those that were wondering, YES this panel will do 1080i through the component inputs. I just finished doing a test with it using my cable box which can be configured to output in any of the HD modes 480i, 480p, 720, 1080i. It looks fantastic. I set the monitor to 1:1 and double checked through the settings menu which tells you what mode you are in. I love this thing!

tesfaye said:
For those that were wondering, YES this panel will do 1080i through the component inputs. I just finished doing a test with it using my cable box which can be configured to output in any of the HD modes 480i, 480p, 720, 1080i. It looks fantastic. I set the monitor to 1:1 and double checked through the settings menu which tells you what mode you are in. I love this thing!

How does it look if you scale 480/720 up to fill the screen? Could you use it to replace a normal CRT TV for instance?

I've gone on a sabbatical from all gaming until my 2405 arrives on Wednesday. This self-imposed quarrantine and all of the 2405 pics that are being posted are getting me hotter than ever for my new monitor!!! :eek: :D :eek: :D

Well poop I tried to duplicate the RGB settings from my 2005FPW and this monitor definitely behaves very differently in that regard. Ah well I'm playing...

Will post some pics later. :)

L0ony! said:
Fuzz please tell these guys about the backlight leakage or the none existence of it :D

You guys are going to be so happy in a few days!!!!!!!!

Yep I second that - absolutely no backlight problems here either. I sat in a completely dark room and loaded up a black bitmap picture full screen and let my eyes adjust and the backlight was completely uniform with no leakage.

I'm unsure whether RGB settings from one Dell screen to another are the same. My presets on a 2005fpw came set to 100/100/97 (sRGB). But it would seem from another comment on another forum that 50/50/50 is nominal for the 2405fpw?

Normal (sRGB) preset on the 2405 is 43/59/54.

I've been toying around with it and since I don't have any professional tuning tools at my disposal I've had to kind of take a stab at it until I found a setting I found more pleasing.

I've settled on 39/40/51 for now. Of the available options, the blue one looks the best from the factory stored. Each monitor may be just a tad different here as well. I would like to see what some people come up with that have a tuning tool available, software or otherwise. But it looks pretty good the way I have it right now.

Pictures on the way. :D

Oh, and I took the brightness down to 25. Way to bright out of the box IMO.

Riptide_NVN said:

Our first bad pixel report! :( Weren't we hoping that Samsung was using their no bad pixel policy on these guys?

JonDo[H]: At .270mm, the dead pixel would actually be bigger than that on a 2001FP.

JonDo[H] said:
I'm unsure whether RGB settings from one Dell screen to another are the same. My presets on a 2005fpw came set to 100/100/97 (sRGB). But it would seem from another comment on another forum that 50/50/50 is nominal for the 2405fpw?

As far as I know, your RGB settings from one monitor will NOT be the same as your RGB settings on another monitor. That's why out of the box they're always set to something different.

Cheers Calkenneth. Also didn't realise the dot pitch was larger, though it makes sense due to the size.

Has anybody noticed the "screendoor" effect on this screen?

Other than the one bad pixel so far no problems. No bleed. Say again no bleed. :p
No screendoor either. And having had a 2001FP - I know it if I see it.

Alrightey then here are a few more pictures. One is there for scale and you can see the 2005FPW on the wife's 3200+ to the left. The 2405FPW is on the right on my PC. :D

Next is a couple close-ins.

Now that I have the brightness and RGB settings somewhere in the neighborhood I like... on to testing DVDs and games.

btw Rip, as you have both, would you say you prefer the image on the 2405FPW? Hard to compare objectively considering the size difference I'm sure ;)

The lack of any discernable backlight bleed alone makes it better IMO, at least w/blacks in the picture. Pretty competitive otherwise. Both displays have one stuck pixel on black though, strangely in near the exact same spot relatively. A well that's OK w/me as long as I don't get any in the center. I'm not as picky as some folks.

What's a good DVD to watch? 5th element or LOTR? :)

Just ordered mine for 923$ 2nd day.

Now when I ordered my 2005 online last week, I paid no tax. But when I called the rep to order, there was tax..?!?

bandit390 said:
Just ordered mine for 923$ 2nd day.

Now when I ordered my 2005 online last week, I paid no tax. But when I called the rep to order, there was tax..?!?

its because it is under the business section not home...also what is the original price u piad and what is ur state tax if i may ask?

$860 with free 2nd day air.

Last time I checked tax is like 8.25%, I guess . lol

Want his contact info, pm me.

tesfaye said:

Could someone please tell me how well it can upconvert or how well scaling w/ correct AR with input components/dvi of signals like 720p and 1080i? does 720p upscale looks about 90% as good as 1:1? how about 1080i upscale versus 1:1? Thanks.

Hi Everyone...
I had a 2005fpw and loved it up until the 6 stuck pixels and backlight issues. Anyway... i liked the size of the screen, but am now looking at the much talked about 2405fpw. I have been reading the forums and everyone is stating this is a much better screen.
My question is this. What are the dimensions of the actual screen?
I believe the dell site has the dimenions of the entire unit... but can someone post the dimensions of the actual screen so i can mock it up and see if it fits in my area.

Thanks.

Riptide_NVN said:
Other than the one bad pixel so far no problems. No bleed. Say again no bleed. :p
No screendoor either. And having had a 2001FP - I know it if I see it.

Alrightey then here are a few more pictures. One is there for scale and you can see the 2005FPW on the wife's 3200+ to the left. The 2405FPW is on the right on my PC. :D

Next is a couple close-ins.

Now that I have the brightness and RGB settings somewhere in the neighborhood I like... on to testing DVDs and games.
Damn, those shots are incredible! I see you also appreciate fine audio. Klipsch rocks for PC speakers. I've got the ProMedia 2.1 for my system.

OK, so where are all the impressions/pictures of:

1) HD playback via component
2) Games (HL2) running at 1920x1200
3) Games (HL2) running at non-native resolutions
4) Games (PS2/XBox/Gamecube) via S-video/composite/component
5) PIP windowed and side-by-side

A decent amount of people now have this monitor and all we got are a few pictures of peoples wallpaper.
Cmon guys!!

JonDo[H] said:
How does it look if you scale 480/720 up to fill the screen? Could you use it to replace a normal CRT TV for instance?
Yes. 16:10 doesn't stretch as badly as 16:9. It would be nice if it streched like my Sony XBR910. That set leaves the center image alone and streches the sides. You hardly notice most of the time. 4:3 images fill up most of the screen if you use the Aspect option.

Back