Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

mozmo said:
A component video user? What did type of component video was it, ie sdtv 480i? Or 480p the gm1601 chip that this panel uses, bigg has some issues with component video so I'm just wondering whether it was just related to his pioneer player or the panel has support issues for certain component signals. Any info you can give will be great thanks. BTW looks like you have your player set to 4:3 mode, if you set it to 16:9 you'll get more video resolution and better aspect.

Sorry for the lack of details, I just changed my AKAI DVD Player to 16:9 and 480p from 4:3 and 480i, it looks much better, fills the screen. etc. Though I am seeing some interlacing with 480p and 480i, ecspecially with fast movement, any ideas?

As far as any backlighting issues, none, none at all. Dell just replaced the original sharp panel on my girlfriends Dell 8100 with a samsung panel the new samsung panel has horrible backlighting issues, I am not seeing this at all, zilch with the 2405fpw...

Well, the monitor is installed, and boy is it a MONSTER

Let me just bulletpoint some items of note:

* Monitor has been on 2+ hours (enough to warm up) and there is no noticeable blacklight leakage *WOOHOO*!
* 0 dead pixels (using "Dead Pixel Buddy" software

Benchmark Machine: P4 3.4 EE, ATi x850 xt pe, 1GB PC4200/533, 2x400GB Seagate Raid-0 NCQ

Valve Source Test (1920x1200 all details max):
4xAA 16xAF - 88.81 FPS
0xAA 8xAF - 111.67
0xAA Triple Buffering - 124.49

Half-Life 2 Timedemo Canals-9 (1920x1200 all details max):
4xAA 16xAF - 43.77
0xAA 8xAF - 73.92
0xAA Triple Buffering - 91.84

Counter-Strike: Source (1920x1200 all details max) while online with 40 player server:
4xAA 16xAF - plays abit sluggish
0XAA 8xAF - plays GREAT!

Since there's no timedemo for CS:S, I could not make an accurate FPS count.

old 2005FPW (for comparison):
http://home.nyc.rr.com/kilmar/pics2/wide1.jpg

2405FPW:
http://home.nyc.rr.com/kilmar/pics2/flash.jpg

Trying to show 0 backlight bleeding w/o flash (not too successful, please note any hint of backlight bleeding you think you see on the pic is due to the camera):
http://home.nyc.rr.com/kilmar/pics2/unflash.jpg

Half-Life 2:
http://home.nyc.rr.com/kilmar/pics2/hl2.jpg

My next step is to reinstall UT2004 and Doom 3 and try to run some benches. I will try to do this tomorrow.

Mcklain said:
Kilmar.. did you see alot of jaggies without AA at 1920/1200??

Mcklain

Nothing of note really. If I looked hard enough, I could. However, nothing noticeable unless I really look for them (i.e. power lines in HL2).

Great, so running at 1920/1200 without AA is comparable to what 1680/1050 with 2xAA??

Anyways I am glad my vdo card will drive Source well!!

Thanks

Mcklain

Kilmar-Is that the lowest position the 2405 will sit on its base or will it still drop down more?

Equalizer said:
Kilmar-Is that the lowest position the 2405 will sit on its base or will it still drop down more?

It can go down 2" or so more. At the lowest position, it's around 2 1/2" off my desk.

kilmar said:
Well, the monitor is installed, and boy is it a MONSTER

Let me just bulletpoint some items of note:

* Monitor has been on 2+ hours (enough to warm up) and there is no noticeable blacklight leakage *WOOHOO*!
* 0 dead pixels (using "Dead Pixel Buddy" software

My next step is to reinstall UT2004 and Doom 3 and try to run some benches. I will try to do this tomorrow.
Does the monitor feel secure on the stand? I saw a picture of some sort of bolt that had broken off the stand for the monitor, possibly because the monitor is too heavy for it. I don't know if there's really any way to "test" to see if it's safe, but does it look/feel sturdy on the monitor stand to you?

kilmar said:
It can go down 2" or so more. At the lowest position, it's around 2 1/2" off my desk.

Thanks! Congrats on the monitor. I hope to have mine soon.

andrewhaji said:
Does the monitor feel secure on the stand? I saw a picture of some sort of bolt that had broken off the stand for the monitor, possibly because the monitor is too heavy for it. I don't know if there's really any way to "test" to see if it's safe, but does it look/feel sturdy on the monitor stand to you?

I saw the same broken bolt from the Japanese website, and quite frankly, I don't perceive it happening often. It's pretty darn sturdy to me.

Sorry for the lack of details, I just changed my AKAI DVD Player to 16:9 and 480p from 4:3 and 480i, it looks much better, fills the screen. etc. Though I am seeing some interlacing with 480p and 480i, ecspecially with fast movement, any ideas?
The interlacing issues could be related to the dvd player, i know with my progressive scan sony dvd player, certain menu's cause the interlacing effect cause the player doesn't handle 60fps menu's to well. So via 480p since it's a progressive format, any interlacing issues you are seeing would be related to the dvd players deinterlacing chip. Through 480i since you're feeding an interlaced signal to the panel, the deinterlacing is being done by the gm1601 so any deinterlace errors you see would be the panels fault. The gm1601 is supposed to support 3:2 pull down so it should deinterlace pretty well. It's good to hear through you got 480i working, bigg for some reason on his pioneer dvd player couldn't get 480i to work, it might of been a setup issue on his end, the gm1601 should support just about any hd component video signal out there.

I found this pdf on the samsung site, it shows the response graph of the new DDC circuitry.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/Support/ebrochure/tftlcd/wiseview_200403.pdf

You can see how this new tech improves the response time curve for grey scale colours a big weakness for pva displays, it flattens it and keeps the times pretty much all under 16ms, which is excellent, ghosting should be minimal on this display. Sweet!

Well above is the original DDC, the 2405 uses DDC-II which is improved to reach 8ms response times.

Genefy said:
Lovely, Cumulus, could you show a shot with the resized dvd? 16:9?

It's up...

There was a question as to the how secure the monitor was on its stand. Very secure, the pivoting mechanism seems very sturdy. Raising and lowering the monitor is a sinch, grab it by both sides and pull down and lift up and you have your height adjustment. It locks when the monitor is put in the lowest postion, the release is on the back side of the base...

As far as the interlacing issues go, mozmo is probably correct about it being my DVD player I seem to recall have a similar issue with setup on the TV.

L2335 > Dell 24"

Pics of Gladiator 1080i HD

gladiator18bp.jpg

gladiator28fr.jpg

buy me
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5171647487

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This panel is amazing. No dead/stuck pixels. No backlight issues. NO GHOSTING. I play HL2. CS:S, NFSU, TOCA2 all at native res. It was easy to setup. I am thoroughly impressed.

lol lets keep it an oranges to oranges comparions eh, comparing 1080i to 480p is no contest of course the 1080i source is going to look a lot better on a 1920x1200 monitor.

Ummm Mr, Jawad, you're actually selling that 23in for more than I bought my 24 inch... hmmmm.... Dell > HP, bow down.....

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Cumulus said:
I first plugged the 2405fpw into a older SFF shuttle with no video memory and was a little skeptical, I defenetly noticed the individual pixels, but after using it for a few hours this evening on my machine, I am very impressed.

It's true a smaller dot pitch would be nice for a screen like this, allowing it to run at a higher resolution, some of the laptops have .19 dp which allows a 17" to have the same res. as this screen...

Also posted a photo from Lord of the Rings playing on the screen, dosn't look that great to me but then agian I am sitting arms length away and havn't calibrated the monitor for component video...
Anyway I bought the monitor to improve my computing experince, not watch movies on, I have a TV for that...

Thanks for the info and pics! I know that whatever i plug in to the component inputs looks like !!!!!!!! on my l2335. I really wish dell would hurry up and ship the darn thing, i gotta ship this l2335 tomarrow :(.

LOL, i'm just teasing you guys. the Dell looks promising, especially since its a samsung.

one thing that does worry me is the higher dot pitch compared to L2335.

but i'm sure being a fast response pva panel will make up for it.

Has anyone else other than tesfaye tried out some games? Any ghosting present? I'm particularly interested with games that have a lot of greys/browns (colors that usually ghost a LOT on PVA panels) such as HL2, CoD, D3. Anyone?

grdh20 said:
No it feeds from the usb hub cable included. Only problem is it installs 4 drive letters even when there is no card in a slot, so I just leave the other end of the usb cable unplugged until I need to use the reader. I don't like having all those useless drive letters showing up in "my computer".

Didn't know that. Good info. I'm like you. I'll probably leave it unplugged until needed cause I hate seeing those extra drives just mounted with nothing there... guess I'm anal.

But, this will be my first LCD and my first wide aspect. Are there some cables I am going to need that don't ship with the display?

I just ordered the display and an X850 XT video card. I didn't even think about any additional wiring for either. I did see an option to have purchased an additional molex for the card. I hope I dont' get these things in here on a Friday afternoon, put the kids to bed, and get ready for some fun, only to find out I'm missing some cabling.

Dim-Ize

Dim-Ize said:
But, this will be my first LCD and my first wide aspect. Are there some cables I am going to need that don't ship with the display?
You should have everything you need. The monitor comes with a DVI cable, and the video card should come with the appropriate power connectors (my Radeon 9800 Pro did). They even throw in the USB cable for the memory card reader--nice touch!

Folks,

How long are the dvi and upstream usb cables on this monitor? I have a large desk and need to make sure I can get the cables to where my rig sits underneath the desk.

cheers.

My 2405fp turned up this morning from Dell UK. I was a bit worried it would not get here due to the snow...

I'll post later when I unpack it with more details.

Weavus said:
My 2405fp turned up this morning from Dell UK. I was a bit worried it would not get here due to the snow...

I'll post later when I unpack it with more details.

Congrats Weavus, I think you are one if not the first person to have taken delivery in England.

Im still sitting in fornt of my window...watching...waitng...but still....nothing :(

Although it should be here anytime soon!!!

Well guys, my 2405FPW has arrived here in London, UK. When I get chance I will hook it up and take some pics for everyone to share the love.

I got this to replace my 2x 2001FPs which I sold for more than I paid for this 24-incher, so I am happy, the GF is happy - everyone is happy!

Having dual display was nice, but pretty useless when it came to gaming as the LCD wasn't in the centre of my vision and not many games support dual screen gaming. Even if they did 3200x1200 is pushing it a bit :) Oh and not to mention the ugly black borders in the centre of the dual screen.

Still in preproduction...grrr. I knew I shouldn't have waited until the afternoon to order.

>Fuzzb, what card are you powering it with? I'm really tempted by this screen, but am concerned that its super high native res could be a bit of a strain for some games :p

Also, do you have any consoles to try out on it? Would love to know how the Xbox looks in 480/720P on the Dell.

Slightly off topic...

I ordered the 2005FPW out of impulse the other day with the %25 off discount and $75 off coupon. After seeing all of the horror stories along with the sheer awesomeness of the 2405 I've changed my mind. Unfortunately, It has already shipped. How much of a hassle would it be to return the un-opened package to dell? Would I be better off ebaying it?

Just call and ask for a refund. They'll probably send you a shipping label. It's easy.

I am trying to get out of work a little early today to get my monitor. As long as nothing bad happens and it doesn't have any major defects that make me upset I'll probably post some pictures this evening and a brief review.

Riptide_NVN said:
Just call and ask for a refund. They'll probably send you a shipping label. It's easy.

I am trying to get out of work a little early today to get my monitor. As long as nothing bad happens and it doesn't have any major defects that make me upset I'll probably post some pictures this evening and a brief review.

They will send ups out to pick it back up, but it could take a couple months to get your money back.

Good God, I definitely don't want to wait that long. Maybe I'll just ebay it.

Back