Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

i can get my hands on the 2405fp's for about 950 a piece if anyone is interrested.... if you are shoot me a PM with your info on where u live (so i know how much to ask for shipping) and your feedback/heatware info....

adios

Couple things for you guys:

Does anyone know when or if Samsung is planning to make their own Monitor with this panel? I know the 243T is very nice and has lots of options in the menu to help text look better, etc. The gaming isn't so hot though.

I don't know where Dell stands in regards to this issue or how their menu options compare in DVI mode. Also I have tried multiple monitors using the same exact panel and noticed that text clarity was quite a bit better on one than the other and the colors were different among other small differences. So I know having the same panel isn't everything. Meaning the Dell may not be as good as someone else's version or vice-versa.

I know a lot of you seem to like Dell Monitors, but is it only because they are cheap or are they actually comparable to Sony/Samsung in image quality and features?

Thanks for any info.

Just ordered, $1,065.41 shipped, after tax. If you are looking to buy it, call them, tell them you're interested, tell them you saw the price yesterday (-10% 1079) and tell them to use today's coupon ?LBP9VN9BDDFT2.

good luck :)

zr0e said:
Just ordered, $1,065.41 shipped, after tax. If you are looking to buy it, call them, tell them you're interested, tell them you saw the price yesterday (-10% 1079) and tell them to use today's coupon ?LBP9VN9BDDFT2.

good luck :)

Did you call them and do that?

Anyone get a tracking #? Mine says it has shipped as of last evening but I still have no e-mail w/tracking # nor does their site give me any info other than "In transit to courier".

Riptide_NVN said:
Anyone get a tracking #? Mine says it has shipped as of last evening but I still have no e-mail w/tracking # nor does their site give me any info other than "In transit to courier".

no tracking number here. I have never received prompt shipping notifications from Dell. I have ordered a ton of stuff from them and each time the package is on its way already before I get a notification. When I ordered my LCD I didn't get a tracking number until the day it was supposed to arrive.This was around this time last year.

zr0e said:
auto10% off gone?

Yeah, it does appear to be gone from the Dell site. Guess that was a quick opening day special or something. Either that or they are going to come out with the 25 percent off coupons and I will be grumpy since I ordered one alread. ;)

Me too on this shipping notification. I ordered late and mine was not supposed to ship until the 20th. But it shipped the same day and I have not gotten and email yet. Neither is there a tracking number yet. As happens a lot, I may get it before there is any notification or number.

I think the ones to my area in Austin, Texas are shipping from Carrolton which is basically Dallas, Texas. Thats a 3 hour drive from here. Potentially my monitor could arrive tomorrow. Would be nice.

Ordered with 10% off plus the $75 coupon. $1004.00 before tax and shipping.

Est ship date is March 17.

OT - I haven't odered much online lately but I don't ever remember having to pay tax, did I miss something?!?

yeah, i called them. meant to make that obvious. called to get the coupon and the 10% off

Based on Altavista's rough translation it appears that something fell off the pivoting stand. Probably nothing major.

Actually, a metal piece that holds the pivot and the stand came off. He also states that the height got stuck and he cann't lower half way. Anyway, he was going to send back the monitor for an exchange, but now he has to send back the stand also. (They don't send the whole thing?)

He states the stand is weakly constructed for this monitor compared to the 2001. People that got their 2405, how do you guys think?

and Aireborne Express (did Airborne merge with DHL?) says delivery tomorrow, second day shipping on my order.

MethylONE said:
OT - I haven't odered much online lately but I don't ever remember having to pay tax, did I miss something?!?

You have to pay tax if the stuff ships from within your state, or if the company you are ordering from has any facilities in your state. Usually my Dell stuff ships from Chicago, so I pay tax, but ground shipping still gets to me usually in one day. It's not exactly an even tradeoff, but you can't really get around paying taxes, so I don't worry about it.

Well guys, apparently my 2405FPW is on its way to me too from Dell UK. I can't wait to get it up and running!

Fuzzb said:
Well guys, apparently my 2405FPW is on its way to me too from Dell UK. I can't wait to get it up and running!

great
when did you order? i ordered yesterday around noon and our three still say "order processing"

paulspiteri said:
i ordered yesterday around noon and our three still say "order processing"

I ordered yesterday morning at 9:30. It left Dell in Ireland last night at 7pm and it currently is in Coventry as of 8am this morning. ETA is tomorrow!

Yeah Weavus!!

My monitor arrived at Coventry last night and the delivery date is scheduled for tomorrow!!

Thats unbelieveable, I wasn't expecting it to be until at least late next week!! bit of a bonus really!!!

Still no tracking number but I finally got a shipment email from Dell. Maybe it will be updated today. I'm in NY. Where is Dell shipping the monitors from?

Ship status still says "In transit to courier" but I'll have to check the mail account when I get into work. Used work e-mail for the order, doh! :)

yeah!!!!! got my tracking number. it will be here tomorrow. pics and review as soon as I hook that baby up.

Just got into work and found the shipment notification in my box. It claims that it shipped out on 3/1, in which I would kinda hope it would get here today. Only thing is there was no tracking # in the e-mail and their website still doesn't have any track # either.

Riptide_NVN said:
Just got into work and found the shipment notification in my box. It claims that it shipped out on 3/1, in which I would kinda hope it would get here today. Only thing is there was no tracking # in the e-mail and their website still doesn't have any track # either.

You will probably get it later today.

Ah well, called up and got tracking info from Dell and it's due in tomorrow. So I'll have to wait one more day. Looks like I'll be able to check back in this thread tonight and get some first impressions though. At least I have that to look forward to. :D

I don't think anyone in the UK has actually taken delivery of one of these babies, "BUT" I have just been and had a look at the ETA on my monitor and it has been dispatched to my address already!! I may be one of the first people in England to have my hands on it :D, that would make my day!!!

Just a reminder to everyone... If possible PLEASE post pictures taken of a blank screen in a dark room so we can get an idea of how good/bad the backlight situation is.

I had bought the monitor with the sound bar. and they just shipped the sound bad and no monitor. i have called the ask what's up with that. and now they are telling me that its going to ship on the 23rd. when i asked to speak with sup. the guy hung up on me. i called back and the lady that i was speaking with tell me that she can't even predict when the monitor will ship

grdh20 said:
Mine just arrived. :D Now on to search for any dead pixels.

PICTURES! PICTURES! Where are your pictures?!

Backlight leakage? Bad pixels? Let us know! I'm pissing my pants waiting for your answer. :)

CalKenneth said:

Backlight leakage? Bad pixels? Let us know! I'm pissing my pants waiting for your answer. :)

Lets hope we dont have any pictures of backlight leakage and missing pixels. Only pictures with stunning viuals and clarity using several different types of media equipment!!

:D

nemssn4cer said:
I had bought the monitor with the sound bar. and they just shipped the sound bad and no monitor. i have called the ask what's up with that. and now they are telling me that its going to ship on the 23rd. when i asked to speak with sup. the guy hung up on me. i called back and the lady that i was speaking with tell me that she can't even predict when the monitor will ship

SAME thing here! Got the sound bar..

Packing slip states both products shipped, total weight "3" (pounds).

WTF...

I initially called dell and they were saying the monitor didn't ship, but will be shipped in 3-5 days... I said BULL****, I paid for OVERNIGHT shipping...

Unfortunately I had to hang up because I have to jump on a conference call (damn work)... but after that, dell is going to get an earfull from me.

I'm SO hot right now... and not paris hilton 'hot' either...

Japanese people are having problems with watching some DVDs using component. They're saying some DVDs doesn't work. Some are saying the component inputs stop workin after they play the DVD. Anyone tried it?

These are Japanese ver. so it may not be an issue elsewhere.
Last Samurai, Troy, Matrix, Lord or the rings are OK
Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Gladiator, Van Hellsing, Day after tomorrow, and a few more titles has problems.

They're guessing that copy guard (Microvision?) is causing this. Not yet proven though.

***Posted by Mr Latte on a UK site. Worth a read***

* PAL problem may be from macrovision on the DVD player. Just a guess as 50Hz & 60Hz usually works fine on S Video inputs, perhaps the unit has a problem with componet or what was used. Alternatively it might be rare incompatiblility situation from the wardware of however posted the problem.

cable-connection-on-back.GIF

From the manual:

Common Problems

The following table contains general information about common monitor problems you might encounter.

COMMON SYMPTOMS

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS
No Video/ Power LED off No picture, monitor is dead

* Check connection integrity at both ends of the video cable
* Electric outlet verification
* Ensure power button depressed fully

No Video/ Power LED on No picture or no brightness

* Increase brightness & contrast controls
* Perform monitor self-test feature check
* Check for bent or broken pins

Poor Focus Picture is fuzzy, blurry or ghosting

* Push Auto Adjust button
* Adjust Phase and Clock controls via OSD
* Eliminate video extension cables
* Perform monitor reset
* Lower video resolution or increase font size

Shaky/Jittery Video Wavy picture or fine movement

* Perform monitor reset
* Check environmental factors
* Relocate and test in another room

Missing Pixels LCD screen has spots

* Cycle power on-off
* These are pixels that are permanently off and is a natural defect that occurs in LCD technology

Stuck-on Pixels LCD screen has bright spots

* Cycle power on-off
* These are pixels that are permanently on and is a natural defect that occurs in LCD technology

Brightness Problems Picture too dim or too bright

* Perform monitor reset on "All Settings"
* Adjust brightness & contrast controls

NOTE: When using '2: DVI-D', the contrast adjustment is not available.
Geometric Distortion Screen not centered correctly

* Perform monitor reset on "Position Settings Only"
* Push auto-adjust button
* Adjust the centering controls
* Ensure monitor is in proper video mode

NOTE: When using '2: DVI-D', the positioning adjustments are not available.
Horizontal/Vertical Lines Screen has one or more lines

* Perform monitor self-test feature check and determine if these lines are also in self-test mode

NOTE: When using '2: DVI-D', the Pixel Clock and Phase adjustments are not available.
Sync Problems Screen is scrambled or appears torn

* Perform monitor self-test feature check to determine if scrambled screen appears in self-test mode
* Boot up in the "safe mode"

LCD Scratched Screen has scratches or smudges

* Turn monitor off and clean the screen
* For cleaning instruction, see Caring for Your Monitor.

Safety Related Issues Visible signs of smoke or sparks

* Do not perform any troubleshooting steps
* Monitor needs to be replaced

Intermittent Problems Monitor malfunctions on & off

* Ensure monitor is in proper video mode
* Ensure video cable connection to computer and to the flat panel is secure
* Perform monitor self-test feature check to determine if the intermittent problem occurs in self-test mode

Missing Color Picture missing color

* Perform monitor self-test feature check
* Check connection integrity at both end of the video cable

Wrong Color Picture color not good

* Change the color to "User Preset"
* Adjust R/G/B value of "User Preset"

Video Problems

COMMON SYMPTOMS

WHAT YOU EXPERIENCE

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS
No Video

No signal indicator is displayed

* Check Video Input Selection
o Composite: Yellow colored RCA jack
o S-Video: Typically a round 4 pin jack
o Component: Red, Blue, Green colored RCA jacks

Low Quality DVD playback

Picture not crisp and some color distortion

* Check DVD connection
o Composite gives good picture
o S-Video gives better picture
o Component gives best picture

NOTE: When choosing S-Video, Composite video, Component video (Y Pb Pr), Auto Adjust hot key function is not available.

CalKenneth said:

Patience. I'm at work, but I'll hook it up soon and see how things look.

OK, I don't have a camera with me till I get home, but I darkened my office as best I could, but it wasn't 100% dark, but as far as I can tell there is no noticable light bleed. As I said my office couldn't get 100% dark, so there was some refelction, but compared to monitors with obvious bleed, there was none apparent, just and overall even very faint screen glow at a dos prompt. In windows blacks look blacker than the 243T. The 2D picture quality is quite stunning. If you grab a window and shake it around you get some minor ghosting, but again less than the 243T or other 25ms monitors. Not bad at all really. Distinctly brighter and more vivid picture than other large high end LCD monitors I have used lately.

Alos seems like zero stuck pixels :) but I'm still searching.

I also have the Samsung 243T and you do notice the improved contrast right away. I can't exactly game here at work or watch DVD's, so that will have to wait. Sorry no pics, but you have all see what the monitor looks like earlier in the thread. The base is nicer than the 243T in my opinion.., but it seems that the ceter top tilt position of the monitor looks ever so slightly off level. no biggie.

Thanks for the quick feedback. If you are using it at work you might want to check for backlight bleed after it's been going for a couple hours. That makes a difference w/the 2005FPW sometimes.

Back