Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

Riptide_NVN said:
I wouldn't bet on R520 in May. It could be longer. If you're willing to wait either keep the 9800XT for now or get the X800XL to tide you over.

If it were me, I'd forget about the X850XT PE AGP unless you can find it for $550 or less. Alternatively, you can order an X800XT PE AGP (nearly as fast as the 850PE) for less than $500 right now on allstarshop.com. Get the Sapphire OEM - it's $494.

Thanks, Rip!

Great council. I found an X850 XT for the same price as an X800 XT PE. I opted for the X850. You think that's okay or should I have greapped the X800XTPE? Oh well, it's probably not going to make any noticeable difference.

Also - If anyone wants to get a great deal on this display... here is a plug for my friend, Gabe at Dell.

His email is: <remove_for_spam>[email protected] and he can get you a better deal than anything else out there right now. His number is: 800-901-3355 ext. 7958353 - but he prefers email.

Tell him Joey referred you. I just finished my order. Wow, I'm both nervous and excited.

Thanks for all your help. I'm hoping everything will work okay.

Dim-Ize

Dim-Ize said:
Great council. I found an X850 XT for the same price as an X800 XT PE. I opted for the X850. You think that's okay or should I have greapped the X800XTPE? Oh well, it's probably not going to make any noticeable difference.
Hell no if you got an X850 XT PE for the same price of the X800XT PE then that's a no brainer - you made the right decision. :)

Where did you get it for the same price btw? The only place I've seen the AGP X850XT PE for sale so far is on allstarshop and they want $699 for it. I hear TigerDirect has it but I don't know what they were charging.

Riptide,

I bought an X850XT over an X800XT PE to drive this display.

That was what I was questioning.

Dim-Ize

Riptide_NVN said:
Hell no if you got an X850 XT PE for the same price of the X800XT PE then that's a no brainer - you made the right decision. :)

Where did you get it for the same price btw? The only place I've seen the AGP X850XT PE for sale so far is on allstarshop and they want $699 for it. I hear TigerDirect has it but I don't know what they were charging.

A few places had them (x850xtpe's) at around $500 incl. monarch.

Dim-Ize said:
Riptide,

I bought an X850XT over an X800XT PE to drive this display.

That was what I was questioning.

Dim-Ize
My bad I didn't see that. I think you'll be fine, there is very little difference between the X800XT/PE and the X850XT/PE w/regard to performance.

Got Dell? I DO!!!! YAY!!! My 2405FPW arrived today to my surprise. I should have known better. As usual I get an Airborne tracking number the day the package arrives. Every order has ended this way. Wierd but whatever. It's here! Now I have to find a place to host the pics I want to put up. I'm going to eat dinner now. I'll set this thing up when I get back.

Awesome. You paid next day air didn't you? That's why you got the tracking info today when it arrived. I did 2 day and got my tracking info today. It'll be here tomorrow.

Yet another reminder: please let it warm up and then do a check on the backlight.

Any word on how good the component support is yet? bigg did some test's but I'd like to know more about hd component signals, anyone tried 1080i/720p at 60 and 50hz?

Well crap. I wish I was getting mine today then. :D

Guess I better not bitch about that to much though. There are people here and elsewhere that ordered the same time I did and they aren't getting theirs this week.

lol. poor basta'ds. seriously though, that sucks. Enough chatting, I need to get this thing hooked up. Wish me luck. :)

tesfaye said:
lol. poor basta'ds. seriously though, that sucks. Enough chatting, I need to get this thing hooked up. Wish me luck. :)

Good luck, Photos before you go off in (havin fun without us) - Land please...

ammo_collector said:
http://www.ergotron.com/3_products/flat_panel/300_arms/default.asp

I bought two 2405's at 9am PST on March 1st. I ordered 2 monitor arms from www.thenerds.net at 1pm on March 2nd.

Today, March 3rd, received both my monitor arms at 11am. This teasing is killin me. Ship me my monitors Dell!

BTW, the product page for the above arms specifically say the 2405s are compatible.
That monitor arm looked pretty sweet til I saw the damn thing cost $200, Fock dat.

I ordered mine on 3/2 at 12 noon. Still hasnt shipped yet. Whos in the same boat that wants to cry with me? I sold my lcd and am shipping it out tomarrow. I wonder how long ill be without a monitor, :(

atlwriter said:
Can you post some pics of your TV...maybe with a game displayed on it? I'm in the market for a new TV. I'm deciding between a direct view and rear projection. :D
Check your PM (private message). Don't want to get too off topic (see below).
tobygg said:
In trying to keep the thread somewhat on topic... can you make sure the pictures include the 2405? :)
Unlike every monitor I've seen posted here, my desk doesn't face a wall. It faces the room, so I can see the monitor on my right and the TV on my left. I'll post a pic of my new setup asap.

I took a couple of pics of the 2405's box with a digital camera my bro sent me awhile back that I just dug out after today's delivery. I wanted to get all y'alls tongues a waggin' with the site of the box with "DELL 2405FPW" stamped on the side. :rolleyes: However, I could not get my computer to see the camera. I asked my bro and he said that he took the memory card out and used a card reader to download pics. I don't have a card reader on the computer I built myself back in Fall 2001. The catch 22 is that the monitor's still in the box and it does have a reader, but I don't have the new card/cable yet. :( Hurry up Newegg. Good news, though -- the Newegg order is <150 miles away, it has left Indianapolis. Should get here by tomorrow or Saturday latest.

I just thought of this: there must be a special cable that connects the card reader to the computer. It probably piggy backs on the DVI cable. Now I don't know if I'll be able to use the 10' DVI cable on order. My computer's in the closet, so I need the extra length (because of noise. I have done a number of things to reduce sound, and the video card is currently the culprit. Louder fans and hard drives were previously replaced. My noise-aversion is the reason for the fanless Sapphire Radeon 8600).

Guys, why do you keep asking for pics? Pics are all over the place already. It looks exactly like the pics posted earlier in this and other threads.

As far as backlite bleed issues, I downloaded that stuck pixel utility and had a good look in darkness and there is vertually no bleeding and zero stuck at least on mine. Any screen pics you post of this thing really won't do it justice. FPS gaming looks awesome to me, but I am a widescreen junkie.

who1zepI just thought of this: there must be a special cable that connects the card reader to the computer. It probably piggy backs on the DVI cable. Now I don't know if I'll be able to use the 10' DVI cable on order. I).[/QUOTE said:
No it feeds from the usb hub cable included. Only problem is it installs 4 drive letters even when there is no card in a slot, so I just leave the other end of the usb cable unplugged until I need to use the reader. I don't like having all those useless drive letters showing up in "my computer".

PIP's looks like it is going to be fun on this. It toggles from a small window, to side by side and you can control the sizes of the windows. I wish it came with a remote like the original Samsung 240T did though.

This screen is FN incredible... Super bright, high contrast incredible color, no backlight issues, no dead pixels, worked right out of the box...

I took a few photos: 2405fpw photos
Check out the site linked on the page for the wallpaper, a site a friend of mine created and I implemented in html/css, it's almost standard compiant.

Enjoy!

grdh20 said:
Guys, why do you keep asking for pics? Pics are all over the place already. It looks exactly like the pics posted earlier in this and other threads.

As far as backlite bleed issues, I downloaded that stuck pixel utility and had a good look in darkness and there is vertually no bleeding and zero stuck at least on mine. Any screen pics you post of this thing really won't do it justice. FPS gaming looks awesome to me, but I am a widescreen junkie.

Pics because it helps dull the pain.... If you were still one of us (the waiters) you'd understand, but you're in a better place now...

Cumulus said:
This screen is FN incredible... Super bright, high contrast incredible color, no backlight issues, no dead pixels, worked right out of the box...

Check out the site linked on the page for the wallpaper, a site a friend of mine created and I implemented in html/css, it's almost standard compiant.

Enjoy!
This monitor looks amazing! Thanks very much for posting the pictures. Would you be so kind as to post a couple pictures taken in a dark room, on a totally black screen? That would help alleviate a lot of "our" concerns about any possible backlight issues.

Once again, thanks!

Genefy said:
Pics because it helps dull the pain.... If you were still one of us (the waiters) you'd understand, but you're in a better place now...

sorry, I didn't mean to rub it in. Lets just say that anyone who ordered this monitor is in for a treat. ;)

Cumulus said:

Enjoy!

Hey, those pictures look great on my 2405. :D

some of you lucky guys mind commenting on how well it handles gaming? Also have you guys tried the component inputs too?

Cumulus said:

Enjoy!
Oh My EFFING God!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I just sploogied myself while looking at your pics. I can't wait for my 2405 to arrive!!! :D

Anyone move from the hp l2335 or other lg 23" panel to this one? In almoat all the pics i can see a grid type effect. Maybe its becuase the dpi is .27 or maybe its just the photos.

OrionNT said:
That monitor arm looked pretty sweet til I saw the damn thing cost $200,
Yea, I almost bought an Ergotron 300 last week, but this monitor has so much height adjustment (my CRT and the Apple CInemas have none) that I am willing to try the original first. However, the 2405 is so big that at 30 lbs. that it is only 8 pounds lighter than my 17" CRT. So I may get a monitor arm after all, since I like to move it up for a slideshow.

HybridHB said:
Anyone move from the hp l2335 or other lg 23" panel to this one? In almoat all the pics i can see a grid type effect. Maybe its becuase the dpi is .27 or maybe its just the photos.

I first plugged the 2405fpw into a older SFF shuttle with no video memory and was a little skeptical, I defenetly noticed the individual pixels, but after using it for a few hours this evening on my machine, I am very impressed.

It's true a smaller dot pitch would be nice for a screen like this, allowing it to run at a higher resolution, some of the laptops have .19 dp which allows a 17" to have the same res. as this screen...

Also posted a photo from Lord of the Rings playing on the screen, dosn't look that great to me but then agian I am sitting arms length away and havn't calibrated the monitor for component video...
Anyway I bought the monitor to improve my computing experince, not watch movies on, I have a TV for that...

OMFG, the viewing angles, the colors, the black blacks! Long live PVA! Down with 2005fpw!

Your right about the viewing angles. Up, down, sides, it's almost impossible to get far enough off center to loose the clarity. I still can't believe we are getting this for $900-$1000 compared with a only last month they were still selling then 243T for around $1800.

HybridHB said:

All lcd's have some screen effect if you look close enouh, but at 24" you really don't need to get that close and if this lcd monitor doesn't satisfy you, then none will. This unit is simply the best out there right now period, at least up to the 30" apple, and to me the picture looks better on the 2405, albeit not as hugh as the apple.

A component video user? What did type of component video was it, ie sdtv 480i? Or 480p the gm1601 chip that this panel uses, bigg has some issues with component video so I'm just wondering whether it was just related to his pioneer player or the panel has support issues for certain component signals. Any info you can give will be great thanks. BTW looks like you have your player set to 4:3 mode, if you set it to 16:9 you'll get more video resolution and better aspect.

Glad to hear that the backlight doesn't seem to bleed much. I'll be real curious to see how mine looks when it comes in tomorrow. I'll post back with some impressions when I get it hooked up.

Has anybody noticed that Samsung has updated their specifications sheet for the LCD panel that the 2405FPW uses?

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/Monitors_n_Industrial/LTM240M1/LTM240M1.htm

The specifications now VERY closely match the ones that Dell has been pushing, but there is one important difference: Samsung is now advertising the response time as being 8ms! Looks like 2405FPW owners got more than they paid for!

This is because it is the exact same panel. I told you guys weeks ago that it was 8ms response capable but you didn't want to believe me. :D

Back