Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

FusionXP said:
I don't understand. You mean you went back to a analogue connection? DVI is much better.

Analogue is the only way I can get 1920 x 1200.

Via DVI even when set to 1920 x 1200, I get black bands either side of the screen and the desktop scrolls. I don't know if its the card (FX5200 chip) or the monitor.

But even so, I really can't see much difference in quallity. I do CAD work, and lines are really sharp. I have a 19" lcd next to it as a dual screen set up, this is using the DVi lead and this is still not as sharp as the Dell..

_dg said:
I have a 19" lcd next to it as a dual screen set up, this is using the DVi lead and this is still not as sharp as the Dell..
They don't call it UltraSharp for nothing! :p

delta7000 said:
Is anyone using the 2405 with a 9700Pro? Will I have any problems?

delta

I have my 2405fpw connected to an All in Wonder 9700 Pro and it works fine. I've heard of people connecting much worse.....do don't sweat it. It may be a good idea to upgrade your vid card...you are buying a $1000 monitor after all! :)

Thanks andrewhaji,
I was just making sure, I thought it would be just fine. Hopefully the lady we are purchasing this monitor will like such a high resolution, she already had bad i sight, but hey she asked fo rit :)

2405 is only slightly larger in vertical dimension but it's much wider than a 20" viewable screen (like 21" crt or 20" LCD).

Thanks muchly, that's the one thing that was holding me back from getting one, I was afraid it wouldn't be enough larger that I'd notice much. :D

TehQuick said:
2405 is only slightly larger in vertical dimension but it's much wider than a 20" viewable screen (like 21" crt or 20" LCD).

True and viewing wide angle stuff is comparable to viewing them on a 27" 4:3. They have about the same horitzonal width. In 4:3 mode the screen is slightly larger than a 21 inch monitor.

After spending more than 8 hours in the e-mails and more than 2 hours on the phone, I settled for $1049. It's $50 more than my original goal of $999 but they seriously wouldn't budge in the end and I've become exhausted from the long negotiation. Right now I'm just pretending that my dog stole a 50 dollar bill from me and ate it. :D

I don't think I'm a good negotiator as some of you can probably get much better deals than me but they weren't offering much for a Home customer, lots of the discounts go to Small Business customers. I wanted to but couldn't lie about being a SB owner. :(

Nonetheless, I'm happy now that I'm finally finished with the buying process. :D

All things considered, I guess the $1250 +tax w. free shipping CDN my rep gave me isn't that outrageous for the display. If the 2405 doesn't come up in the 10 days of dell deal, I am probably going to take them up on this offer.

K10 said:
i just noticed that the dvi cable dell supplied was single link and not dual link. does it matter?

Huh? do u actually own a dual-link dvi videocard? :eek: Actually, only ACD 30" needs dual-link, 2405 is still within the single-link DVI spec.. kinda :D

woot hitting 110th page in this thread... I dunno about other forums, I bet this is the longest one in display forum :D

TehQuick said:
Huh? do u actually own a dual-link dvi videocard? :eek: Actually, only ACD 30" needs dual-link, 2405 is still within the single-link DVI spec.. kinda :D

Don't even dual link DVI monitor at such a high resolution like the 30" ACD operate at an extremely low resfresh rate? Like 20-40hz? That means tearing for anything under 20-40fps.

peacetilence said:
Don't even dual link DVI monitor at such a high resolution like the 30" ACD operate at an extremely low resfresh rate? Like 20-40hz? That means tearing for anything under 20-40fps.

Whoa.. r u sure? I think it's still 60hz, since dual-link dvi has twice the bandwidth more than enough it :eek:

BTW, with 20-40hz, tearing occurs with anything above 20-40 fps ;)

TehQuick said:
Whoa.. r u sure? I think it's still 60hz, since dual-link dvi has twice the bandwidth more than enough it :eek:

BTW, with 20-40hz, tearing occurs with anything above 20-40 fps ;)

That's what I meant, I was reading about the IBM T221 (3840 x 2400 res dual link DVI LCD) and it says this.

The IBM T221 flat-panel monitor comes in two versions: the DG3 operates at 20Hz using both connectors or 13Hz using a single connector, and the DG5 runs at a faster frame rate of 48Hz using both connectors or 24Hz using a single connector. The IBM T221 DG5 carries a hefty price of $8,399; the DG3 is slightly less expensive at $7,499. These aren't ordinary desktop or workstation monitors, as reflected by the price and the remarkable displays they produce.

this thread is huge. i tried looking for answers, but its taking too long, so im going to post my questions here.

1. would i be able to run Guild Wars and Halo smoothly at 1920x1200, max detail, NO AA/AF.? both these games support that res. see my signature for system specs.

2. does the 2405fpw have a glossy screen (like the Sony SDM-HS94P), or does it have a dull screen like the 2001fpw?

3. is the 2405fpw that much bigger than the 2005fpw? its like 3" bigger and costs twice as much. do you guys think its worth it?

Liquid_Cooled said:
this thread is huge. i tried looking for answers, but its taking too long, so im going to post my questions here.

1. would i be able to run Guild Wars and Halo smoothly at 1920x1200, max detail, NO AA/AF.? both these games support that res. see my signature for system specs.

2. does the 2405fpw have a glossy screen (like the Sony SDM-HS94P), or does it have a dull screen like the 2001fpw?

3. is the 2405fpw that much bigger than the 2005fpw? its like 3" bigger and costs twice as much. do you guys think its worth it?

Hi,
1. Never played Guild wars but Halo if I remember correctly had awful framerates when it was released on my (then high end rig) I'm not convinced Halo would run nicely.
HL2 and Splinter Cell CT work great on my rig though.

2. It has the same kind as the 2001FP

3. I owned the 2005 (sold it to help buy the 2405) and the difference is incredible. The 20" WS is nice, but it was just a tiny bit too small. The 2405 totally dominates and easily goes down as the best investment for my PC ever, second would be the Orchid Voodoo1 card I bought 9 years ago :D

The 2405 offers 40% more space than the 2005. The 2005 was a dream to me a few months ago but after reading about backlight issues and with the release of the 2405 I wasn't too sure. I guess it all comes down to what you're willing to spend and what you plan on doing with the monitor. I've ditched my 27" CRT tv in favor on the 2405 to watch DVDs, the 2005 would be too small for that IMO. I have work that could benefit from the added space as well, its great having two or three word documents tiled horizontally instead of just one. I came into some extra money so the 2405 was sort of a gift to myself struggling through hard times (surgery) and continuing doing work. If you just plan on gaming primarily the 2005 would be fine for you I think.

With all that said I don't think I will buy another Dell product. I bought my 2405 at a discounted special price through a rep and I think I have had discounted customer service. The monitor I currently own has an always on dead grey oblong dead pixel (almost looks like an indent a couple of millimeters under the screen) towards to top left side of the monitor noticeable under any light background and a dead black pixel on the bottom that shows up when the screen is completely red. I tried to exchange it twice, the first exchange Dell obviously sent me a monitor somebody had returned months before (double taped box, made in Febuary, house paint on one of the cables, crumpled and obviously rummaged through holders and instruction sheet, not to mention it had 6 dead pixels on white, who knows how many else with other colors) the second monitor they sent me had 0 dead pixels but a huge splotch of backlight coming through from the right corner side. It was much more distracting than any one grey pixel on light backgrounds, pretty much intolerable, so it was sent back. For all I know it could have been another return. As it stands now I don't think Dell is high enough quality to represent myself or my business. I still like my 2405 though, it just has a lot of issues... BTW the added composite and component inputs are useless if you plan on watching DVDs or content that isn't distorted by the monitors lack of ability to scale aspect ratios correctly via these inputs.

TehQuick said:
woot hitting 110th page in this thread... I dunno about other forums, I bet this is the longest one in display forum :D
Damn straight it is! :p Probably the longest thread ever... ;)

peacetilence said:
That's what I meant, I was reading about the IBM T221 (3840 x 2400 res dual link DVI LCD) and it says this.

The IBM T221 flat-panel monitor comes in two versions: the DG3 operates at 20Hz using both connectors or 13Hz using a single connector, and the DG5 runs at a faster frame rate of 48Hz using both connectors or 24Hz using a single connector. The IBM T221 DG5 carries a hefty price of $8,399; the DG3 is slightly less expensive at $7,499. These aren't ordinary desktop or workstation monitors, as reflected by the price and the remarkable displays they produce.

Lol, t221 is actually dual DVI or even quad-DVI monitor - meaning it requires 2 or 4 cables to connect to single computer to work properly. It does not look like it uses dual-link DVI connection at all. :D

I mean dual-link DVI is not the same as dual DVI connection ;)

sakurakana1003 said:
After spending more than 8 hours in the e-mails and more than 2 hours on the phone, I settled for $1049. It's $50 more than my original goal of $999 but they seriously wouldn't budge in the end and I've become exhausted from the long negotiation. Right now I'm just pretending that my dog stole a 50 dollar bill from me and ate it. :D

I don't think I'm a good negotiator as some of you can probably get much better deals than me but they weren't offering much for a Home customer, lots of the discounts go to Small Business customers. I wanted to but couldn't lie about being a SB owner. :(

Nonetheless, I'm happy now that I'm finally finished with the buying process. :D

Heh, you don't have to be a small business owner to order from SB...anyone can.

Eric1285 said:
Heh, you don't have to be a small business owner to order from SB...anyone can.

I know, I said I wanted to lie when he asked me if I'm a SB owner but I couldn't. That's all I meant.

zeeter said:
Anyone know when these badboys are going on special again?...aka stacked coupons :)

Online price dropped 10% today... delivery time still @ 1 - 2 weeks though. Anyone ordered these lately in U.S.? --- wondering what the real ship-out time is.

Dang, I want one.. LOL Am i dreaming if i hope to get on at 800-900 range shipped? :D

Liquid_Cooled said:

I have pretty much the exact same specs as you and I run 1920x1200 Guild Wars beautifully.

Oh and I haven't been in this thread in a looong time, and was just gonna say I've had this monitor for a few months now, and I still have no dead pixels. It's kinda nice :D

:confused:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a great forum man!
ive ordered l2335 and maybe able to pic up tomorrow. I still hav a chance to cancell it coz i havent pay yet. The reason holding me bak is the 2405fpw. I m frusted. Dunno which to get.
L2335 = $1750nz
2405fpw= $ 1759nz (no stock till 25 june) we dont really hav coupons like ppl in the states.
lucky ppl~!...

I ve been lookin through all these threads. Dont seem to hav a pic of both lcd side by side..
did anyone see any??
help is appreciated~!! i hav to decide b4 tomorrow~!!

I think Behardware has a review, can't remember. And it shows that the Dell is a much better monitor even if you only talk about quality compared to the HP. That's what I remember...

Just received my 2405 this morning, only had enough time to took it out of the box before I had to leave for work. It's pretty damn big ......... :D Definitely the biggest monitor (That excludes any TV monitors) I've seen sitting on anyone's computer desk.

It's big enough to be able to replace the TV I have in the bedroom. I still have a little doubt about running games at such a massive resolution of 1920x1200, but who knows? There's a big possibility that I'll fall in love with it.

This should be the standard size for ALL PC monitors! :p

Trust me, even with my crappy old rig in my sig I can play UT2k4, Doom 3, GTA Vice City etc. smoothly @ 1920x1200, 16xAF but no AA of course. The 2405FPW is a fantastic LCD for the price. :D

Back