Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

1c3d0g said:
Trust me, even with my crappy old rig in my sig I can play UT2k4, Doom 3, GTA Vice City etc. smoothly @ 1920x1200, 16xAF but no AA of course. The 2405FPW is a fantastic LCD for the price. :D

Just had some headache issues at work, but your post just made my day! :D :D :D

Liquid_Cooled said:
this thread is huge. i tried looking for answers, but its taking too long, so im going to post my questions here.

1. would i be able to run Guild Wars and Halo smoothly at 1920x1200, max detail, NO AA/AF.? both these games support that res. see my signature for system specs.

2. does the 2405fpw have a glossy screen (like the Sony SDM-HS94P), or does it have a dull screen like the 2001fpw?

3. is the 2405fpw that much bigger than the 2005fpw? its like 3" bigger and costs twice as much. do you guys think its worth it?

The 2405 , having owned a 2005 still completely amazed me. This thing is huge. It dwarfs the 2005

Everyone call Dell at exactly 6pm tonight and beg for them to bring back the $860 deal...

ashmedai said:
Everyone call Dell at exactly 6pm tonight and beg for them to bring back the $860 deal...

Lol if they do that I'll get another one for the girlfriend. I'll probably feel sucky about mine since I forked over over a grand but whatever. :D

use this coupon 7GTSLPB85JV811 at Dell Home Office. price will be $959.20 shipped! i dont know about you guys, but this seems like a reallly good deal. i might just buy it tonight.

Woot, I have 0 backlight leaking, 1 stuck pixel at the bottom of the screen which went away after I gave it a little rub. 1 dead pixel at the bottom right corner about half an inch from the bezel. I am SO happy. :D :D :D

I had the high-pitch whinning problem once the LCD warmed up, it was quite bad. But I fixed it ........... at least for the last 20 mins I've fixed it. You know what I did? I plugged in the old power cable from my CRT and the whine went away ......... hasn't returned since then. Um .............. okay Dell...... :rolleyes:

Hell's bell's I been wanting one of these. but having already bought a new desktop and XPS gen 2 in the last 6 weeks. I'm having trouble coming up with an excuse :(

Just priced it ~1,040 with tax as long as they stay over 1k I may be able to resist

Well I broke down and bought a 20% off code on Ebay for $5 (which I thought was ok)

Thing is, They shipped it like 5 hrs after I ordered it so they oviously have them in stock in Nashville (or they did) today.

I think that these monitors are the most important part of the whole deal as you pretty much are not going to get a slow desktop no matter what you do or how hard you try)

Maybe it's always been that way.

Well I took the plunge and ordered it for a total of 999.73 this morning. Can't wait for the monitor and the buyers remorse...oh wait...too late.

Well I just hope that I'll get a decent unit and not one with lots-o-dead pixels. But just in case, I've got something like 30 days to return it no questions asked, or exchange it in hope for a better unit correct? I've never purchased from Dell before hence the question.

mac wilson said:
Well I broke down and bought a 20% off code on Ebay for $5 (which I thought was ok)

Next time browse www.bensbargains.net or something of that sort, Dell coupons are frequently published on the internet... and u won't have to pay to some smart@ss to find out about it ;)

TheHumbleLobster said:
Well I just hope that I'll get a decent unit and not one with lots-o-dead pixels. But just in case, I've got something like 30 days to return it no questions asked, or exchange it in hope for a better unit correct? I've never purchased from Dell before hence the question.
I have noticed almost no complaints about dead pixels. Dell, really BenQ, did an excellent job on these montiors. I love my 2405. Just wish I could get my boss to spring for one. ;)

Did you bother the check Bens bargains for the Dell 20% off?

I only see 10% and I'm pretty sure 20% wasn't there or any other place that I could find (which has led to paying some guy)

It may be that their getting codes from some club or service.

mac wilson said:
Did you bother the check Bens bargains for the Dell 20% off?

I only see 10% and I'm pretty sure 20% wasn't there or any other place that I could find (which has led to paying some guy)

It may be that their getting codes from some club or service.

Did u bother to follow the link? 20% coupon is there... Well, in that case go ahead, continue to pay for freely available coupon codes :D

http://www.bensbargains.net/ktalk/1118440214,18656,.shtml

qdemn7 said:
I have noticed almost no complaints about dead pixels. Dell, really BenQ, did an excellent job on these montiors. I love my 2405. Just wish I could get my boss to spring for one. ;)
Errr... that's Samsung for the 2405FPW specifically, FYI. ;)

I havn't seen this anywhere in all the specs I've looked at But I need to know.

What is the pixel pitch of the 2405fpw?

Did a google search for 2405fpw pitch and found it's .270. Is the display still sharp? My current lcd an NEC 1760NX is very sharp to me and it's .264.

I've been torn between the the Apple CD 23", HP L2335, Viewsonic vp231wb. All three use the same panel. The only one I've seen is the Apple. It's sharp at .258 but it just doesn't look right. I'm not sure if the Apple is representative of the other two panels but it's the only one I've seen.

I've also read this review http://www.behardware.com/articles/567/page2.html and it compares the vp231wb and 2405fpw. Apparently the colors of the 2405fpw are great and that is what is most important to me. But the sharpness is also an issue.

Is there a signifigant difference between a pitch of .258 and a pitch of .270. Will I even notice coming from a .264? Also, how frequent are backlight bleeding issues and the buzzing sound? Are there a lot of dead pixel instances? And how difficult is the RMA process if I have these quality issues or dead pixels? I know this monitor is priced low, but I'm wondering if I'm getting what I'm paying for, something cheaply priced therefore cheaply built.

ok. Now I'm confused. This article (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide_27.html) on the differences between panel technologies say's that the S-IPS panel in the L2335 and vp231wb is better for color reproduction and games. It's weak point being the display of blacks and contrast.

It say's that the MVA panel in the 2405fpw is bad at playing games due to it's slow response time and it doesn't produce colors very well. It's strong points are it's high contrast ratio, deep blacks and viewing angles.

Anyone know what this extra stackable $35 off coupon is?

home2405fpwcart8zr.jpg

Thanks,

Thaz

Yeah none of those stack because they say Between X and 1000 dollars.. Dell 2405FPW starts at $1199 =(

Any ideas? I searched and searched but couldnt find it.. People are selling it on Ebay however.

there are 2 local guys selling the 2405FPW for $950. they both had them for about a month. Im gonna go check them out soon, if alls well (no dead/stuck pixels, backlight bleeding, sagging), should i get them? I can get it brand new for $1040 ($960 w/coupon + tax). Im thinking a more reasonable price (since its used) would be around $850.

is there any other problem i should looks for on the 2405FPW besides:

dead/stuck pixel
backlight bleeding
sagging

Welp, I bit the bullet and purchased one!

I was able to use the 20% off + I bought a $35 dollar off stackable one on ebay for $9.88, which brought my final purchase to:

Sub-Total $924.20
Shipping Discount -$13.00
Shipping and Handling $0.00
Tax $0.00
Total $924.20

I'll do a mini-review when I recieve it!

1c3d0g said:
Errr... that's Samsung for the 2405FPW specifically, FYI. ;)

He meant manufacturer, the OEM for 2405 is BenQ, not Samsung :D Samnsung provides the panel only, BenQ assembles the unit :p

Liquid_Cooled said:
there are 2 local guys selling the 2405FPW for $950. they both had them for about a month. Im gonna go check them out soon, if alls well (no dead/stuck pixels, backlight bleeding, sagging), should i get them? I can get it brand new for $1040 ($960 w/coupon + tax). Im thinking a more reasonable price (since its used) would be around $850.

is there any other problem i should looks for on the 2405FPW besides:

dead/stuck pixel
backlight bleeding
sagging

Would you still be covered by the 3 year warranty if bought second hand?
That $90 difference may be worth it for the warranty if not

just sold my Sony SDM-HS94P to get this monitor, anybody have the $35 off code, so i can order this bad boy today? Thanks!

I just ordered mine for $1,035 which includes the $76.00 for tax in NY State. Dell just started collecting tax here June 1st. Oh well. Why do I feel that my 9700 Pro isn't going to do the trick and I'll have to get a new card. :)

delta

TehQuick said:
He meant manufacturer, the OEM for 2405 is BenQ, not Samsung :D Samnsung provides the panel only, BenQ assembles the unit :p
:p Guess you learn somethin new every day... ;)

Hi, i just ordered a 2405FPW.

I really like the Ergotron Neo-Flex, but it supports up to 18 pound monitors. Doesnt the 2405FPW weigh like ~16 pounds without the base? So i should be ok with the Ergotron Neo-Flex?

I am glad I picked it up when it first came out for $850 shipped after seeing current prices. Since it just dropped to $899 today, everyone who ordered it the last couple weeks should call back and get a credit because Dell is usually pretty good about that.

Thazul said:

I was able to use the 20% off + I bought a $35 dollar off stackable one on ebay for $9.88, which brought my final purchase to:

Sub-Total $924.20
Tax $0.00
Total $924.20

Is that the same stackable coupon that selling for .49 cents? on ebay? :confused:

Argh I'm having a hard time getting used to the different LCD panel in 2405 coming from a 2005. I always get the feeling that the screen has some type of glare that I can't get rid of. =(

Anyone else?

OrionNT said:
I am glad I picked it up when it first came out for $850 shipped after seeing current prices. Since it just dropped to $899 today, everyone who ordered it the last couple weeks should call back and get a credit because Dell is usually pretty good about that.

won't work, it's a promotion thru Dell SB, the other one was from Dell Home. Besides, Dell does not offer price protection for peripherals, it does that only for full systems. Worth a shot but chances are pretty slim :p

Thazul said:

Sub-Total $924.20
Tax $0.00
Total $924.20

Please do not pay someone for Dell coupons that are available all over the place for free.

Here is just a few good sites that always have lots of Dell coupons:

http://www.gotapex.com/
http://www.edealsetc.com/delldeals.html?src=google
http://www.techbargains.com/coupons.cfm

The Dell 2405FPW is on-sale with this coupon for $ 899.25 - HOT! 25% off Dell 2405FP 24.1" widescreen LCD Monitor with 1920 x 1200 resolution, price: $899.25 shipped! Use code: LXPN5SJ1D?059F

SCAMMER:

There's a guy by the name of David Riches (rmenkins) and such going around offerring people the 2405FP for $750 shipped. He asks you to pay via Western Union, but do not fall for it.

He's already scammed AT LEAST 4 people with this for over $2000 worth of money! If anyone else has been scammed by this guy, contact me - we have a complaint filed with the FBI - this is serious.

Thanks,
Andy

Back