Uncharted 4

No more bullet-sponge enemies for the most part which is great.

I'm playing on normal and they seem like bullet sponges to me. I just finished chapter 11. Some of the punks on the motorcycles took way too many shots before going down. It's a well polished game, but the shooting and platforming are not my epitome of excellent gameplay.

It's just very "gamey". I don't know. Guess I'm in the minority, I zoned out on the dramatic scene where Elena gets mad at Drake. It's a B movie.

If the graphics weren't so impressive, I wouldn't be having much fun at all. The cross puzzle in Scotland was cool. But the painting puzzle at the bottom of the clock tower was just BS. I don't know if my TV contrast is off but it was insanely difficult to see the star marks around the borders. Took me way too long to complete. Glad I bought a retail disc I can sell, it's got no replay value to me.

edit: Well the game keeps getting better. I finished chapters 12 and 13. Very cool chapters. I think the rain effects in 13 are the best I've seen in a video game. And the smoke from the grenade launcher in 14 is awesome. The pirate city level is great so far. The game is at its best when it just lets you explore the environment.

Last edited:
Why is everyone ordering physical copies when you could have just bought it on PSN and preloaded it so you can play it promptly at midnight when it launched?

Amazon preorders for all games give you 20% off. So Uncharted was $50 for me. Also, you can't re-sell digital games. Only digital games I ever buy are ones under $20/on sale.

Why is everyone ordering physical copies when you could have just bought it on PSN and preloaded it so you can play it promptly at midnight when it launched? It just bought a PS4 just for this game the evening before it launched and did just that and am glad I did so I didn't have to wait for it or fight to find a copy of the game locally.

1: I like supporting the local game stores. I had a reserved copy through one in town.
2: ~x years from now when PSN goes down one can still load up physical copies and play the game. Not so much down downloadable ones.

1: I like supporting the local game stores. I had a reserved copy through one in town.
2: ~x years from now when PSN goes down one can still load up physical copies and play the game. Not so much down downloadable ones.

Hah, shoulda known better than to ask that question with all these same responses, I guess.

For me, the only game stores are major chains and I'm not worried about playing the game x years from now after the PS4 is obsolete and I would think all my PSN purchases would still transfer over to the PS5 or whatever their next console is. Pretty sure the PSN store isn't going to go down as long as Sony has a console on the market though, and even if it does, I don't mind picking the game up for $10 again elsewhere. I already had $10 credit on my PSN account I forgot about from a few years ago when I got a PSN gift card and applied it to my account, so it worked out ok for me. The game is totally worth $60 though and I don't care to resell games, so it made sense to me, being it was much more convenient to play the minute it launched and I didn't have to wait for/find a copy anywhere.

But the painting puzzle at the bottom of the clock tower was just BS. I don't know if my TV contrast is off but it was insanely difficult to see the star marks around the borders. Took me way too long to complete.

Were you looking in your journal too or just at the paintings? Because he writes them down in his journal and it lets you just orient and pieces together inside of your journal instead of looking at the paintings themselves and remembering the patterns (and struggle to see the stars in your case). You have to press Triangle while looking at the pattern on the painting for him to add it to his journal first though. Doing this, I solved this part in just a few mins.

Last edited:
That sentence makes no sense.

I think it's undeniable the graphics are one of the big draws of the game. I was a little harsh in my earlier criticism. Levels 12 and 13 were a blast. But I don't like watching 5 minute cut scenes. The first several chapters were boring. I can see where others like comixbooks and yourgrandma are coming from.

Were you looking in your journal too or just at the paintings? Because he writes them down in his journal and it lets you just orient and pieces together inside of your journal instead of looking at the paintings themselves and remembering the patterns (and struggle to see the stars in your case). You have to press Triangle while looking at the pattern on the painting for him to add it to his journal first though. Doing this, I solved this part in just a few mins.

I knew about the journal pictures being added after inspecting the oil paintings. What I'm complaining about is that I found it difficult to actually see the star patterns on the sigils as I was rotating them. I was referencing the journal pictures and thinking okay, this one needs 3 stars on the left, 1 in the lower right corner etc. But I could barely see the stars around the sigils themselves. Several times, I thought I had it correct but had to redo it when nothing happened Took me over 10 minutes to complete them all. Frustrating it took so long when the concept of the puzzle was so simple.

I knew about the journal pictures being added after inspecting the oil paintings. What I'm complaining about is that I found it difficult to actually see the star patterns on the sigils as I was rotating them. I was referencing the journal pictures and thinking okay, this one needs 3 stars on the left, 1 in the lower right corner etc. But I could barely see the stars around the sigils themselves. Several times, I thought I had it correct but had to redo it when nothing happened Took me over 10 minutes to complete them all. Frustrating it took so long when the concept of the puzzle was so simple.

Ahh, ok. Well at that point, all you had to do was pay attention to the sigil symbols (in the center) themselves after you aligned them up properly in your journal, then orientated them based on the main symbols instead of remembering and looking at how many stars were on each side while you were rotating the actual sigils.

Finished the SP game. Final treasure count was 44. I looked for them but didn't scour every inch of the map.

So in my final review, I'd give the graphics a 10. The story an 8. The gameplay was maybe a 7. Some levels were fun. Some I couldn't wait to just get it over with. I got pretty tired of the same old move a box to get to a higher platform mechanic. They could have made it more like old school tomb raider. All of the puzzles were different forms of the same thing. The on rails jeep escape after the clock tower was pure spectacle, actually not very fun to play. And some of the late battles with the Shoreline mercs in the later chapters felt like a chore. Got to love those heavy armor dudes that can take 3 headshots before merely losing their helmet. The final boss fight location was epic but the actual mechanics were simple Dragon's Lair type quick reaction button pushes. Meh.

I know this is the last Uncharted, but if it weren't, I'd probably be done with the series anyways. It was an okay game but I could do without so many scripted sequences. I like playing games more than watching them.

Turning aim assist down to 5 or 6 helped me tremendously. Having it at the default of 10 seems to make it aim at chest level for some odd reason. Even when you aim things yourself, it seems extra jerky. With it at 5, it feels like aiming isn't quite as quick, but it's far more precise. Headshots were coming left and right after I swapped.
The motion blur is still bothering me and honestly does hurt my eyes a little. I turned on the highest level of smoothmotion (240hz) that my TV can do and it's helping. It makes panning around look a little weird, but at least my eyes don't hurt anymore.

Just beat the game. Great way to end the series. The story really wrapped things up nicely. I got to the credits with a smile on my face and feeling satisfied with how it ended. Not many long running stories can pull that off. I think this is the best game in the series really. It has some of the issues of the previous games but everything feels smooth and just works right. The guns feel better, the animations are better, traversal is better, etc.

time to start up the game...I needed a break after 3 playthroughs of Dark Souls 3

What a great game. Enjoying it thus far. Just hit Chapter 9. How many chapters are there?

22 plus a bonus "level".

But since most of the early game is a tutorial, at the start of the Scotland cave, you're perhaps only 30% of the way through the game.

For me, chapters 9-15 were the best part of the game.

I only just hit Chapter 9 myself. Dark Souls has been taking too much of my time.
Chapter 7 in Uncharted 4 is probably longer and larger than any other chapter (maybe even 2 chapters) in the previous games.

I just finished the pre-title credit Chapters...can't say I'm blown away so far but I heard it only gets really good around Chapter 6...why they decided to add another new family member to the mix for the final game is something that really doesn't seem necessary...adding in a whole bunch of flashbacks is wasted time...the flashbacks were the worst part of Uncharted 3

I just finished the pre-title credit Chapters...can't say I'm blown away so far but I heard it only gets really good around Chapter 6...why they decided to add another new family member to the mix for the final game is something that really doesn't seem necessary...adding in a whole bunch of flashbacks is wasted time...the flashbacks were the worst part of Uncharted 3

Sam is used to tie up all the loose ends in the series. I like him as an added character. He and Nate have some really great dialog. Sully is really getting far too old to go along on all of these adventures and I'm not sure I could've dealt with another game of Nate and Elena bickering the entire time. The flashbacks here are nice though. They work better than in 3, they're told better, and they really have more of a purpose. As much as I liked learning about Nate and Sully's first meeting in 3, it all felt really unnecessary. 4's flashbacks do a much better job at justifying their purpose. And yes, once you hit the more open Uncharted-feeling areas of the game it does get a lot better.

just finished Chapter 3...the graphics are really stunning...best looking console game hands down...the character models, facial animation and voice acting are top notch...the part in Chapter 3 where you emerge from the water after the dive was really impressive from a graphics standpoint...Naughty Dog really knows how to harness all the power of the PlayStation to create stunning environments

The flashback chapters when they were kids are some of the best moments. You get a good idea on their relationship, how Nate became who he is and why he does what he does, and it's later revealed how Drake got his name. It all ties in very well. Just keep playing.

I wish the game would give you the option to remap some of the controls...having Aim and Fire be L2 and R2 doesn't feel good to me...I'd rather have those options mapped to L1 and R1...the R2/L2 buttons are too far down and is not as comfortable to use quickly

I wish the game would give you the option to remap some of the controls...having Aim and Fire be L2 and R2 doesn't feel good to me...I'd rather have those options mapped to L1 and R1...the R2/L2 buttons are too far down and is not as comfortable to use quickly

I wish EVERY game offered full controller customization. Sony and MS really should make it mandatory. They should have a long time ago. I'd love to able to change the controls in a lot of games.

You and me both, I would have loved to switch reload and throw grenade around. I kept tapping R1 to reload so it'd be oops... there goes another grenade, complete with me running as they usually landed at my feet.

The grenade thing is annoying. The reload being a shoulder button is ingrained in me after the previous 3. Going away from that was an odd decision. You reload a hell of a lot more than you toss grenades, so why not let us keep it where it was?

Which ones are missing? Looks like all of them to me.....
button-customisation.jpg

Or maybe im not understanding what your trying to rebind.

Which ones are missing? Looks like all of them to me.....

Or maybe im not understanding what your trying to rebind.

wow thanks!...I'm still fairly new to the PS4 so I didn't know you could customize the controller like that...I was looking in the Game Option settings where they give you a limited number of remapping options...but the setting you're talking about is in the main PS4 Home Page Settings...very nice to know...thanks again!

just remapped the Aim and Fire buttons to L1 and R1...feels way better now

My wife likes watching me play the game, personally to me it feels like a 3/5 and I will sell it once I am finished. The visuals are very impressive but I feel like I had more fun gameplay wise with Rise of the Tomb Raider than I am with this game.

I'm up to Chapter 11...playing on Hard difficulty is annoying as enemies are constantly spamming grenades/dynamite/explosives...I think they ripped off that rope line thing from the Tomb Raider games...I wish there were less of those rope segments...this is the first game in the series where I feel they ripped off other games such as Tomb Raider and even Assassin's Creed with the stealth

the Chapter 11 extended car chase is one of the greatest action set pieces in gaming history...I kept dying on purpose so I could replay it

Last edited:
Just beat the game yesterday. Brilliant little epilogue at the end that makes it all worth it.
I was disappointed by the end "boss". It was a two button QTE fight. I can't believe developer's still do this, especially given how much the gaming community complains about QTEs.
Also didn't like how the ending chapters were absolute spam fests. I guess they figure the game is ending so lets make it more challenging by throwing 100 enemies at the player at once. So frustrating!
Whining aside, it was a great game. I don't know what to do with myself now that it's over.

I bought PS3 just to play the trilogy but I'll wait for this game. I love adventure games but I really don't want to pay $60 and don't really like online aspect of this game. I wish the online was more of a co-op.

Just finished my play through of 1-3 remastered yesterday, and finally started 4 tonight. Frame rate is really bothering me though. Would have much preferred toned down graphics for 60fps.

Enjoyed the shooting in 1-3, was getting pretty decent with aiming on the controller. 30fps + controller is just shit though.

Update:

So forgot my TV was not in game mode lol. Much better now.

Last edited:
the lush jungle environments are simply stunning...this is right up there with Far Cry 1 and Crysis as far as rendering of a jungle/forest area...and this is all being done on a PS4!...Naughty Dog deserves a lot of credit for what they're able to do as far as graphics processing power for a console...starting with Chapter 6 every chapter seems to be very long...the aiming sucks for some reason compared to the previous Uncharted games...doesn't seem as smooth and I seem to be dying more (although maybe playing on Hard difficulty is also a factor)

Anyone else get chills at this scene? The music and the scenery is just heavenly. This is Uncharted's equivalent of TLOU's giraffe scene.

(don't watch if you haven't reached New Devon yet)

Anyone else get chills at this scene? The music and the scenery is just heavenly. This is Uncharted's equivalent of TLOU's giraffe scene.

(don't watch if you haven't reached New Devon yet)

Yeeees. Such a great scene. Easily one of the best little moments in the game. It really evokes that feeling of "riding to our last adventure". New Devon was a really great area as well.

the dialogue in the game is outstanding...doesn't feel like typical 'gamey' dialogue but more like real-life dialogue which really enhances the immersion...you can feel the influence of Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley (The Last of Us creative directors/writer/game designer) in the writing and overall pace of the game...Chapter 16 (The Brothers Drake) totally captures the feel of the DLC from Last of Us (Left Behind)...a Chapter where it's all about exploration of the relationship between the 2 brothers

I'm at the beginning of Chapter 18 and feel this is probably right up there with Bloodborne as far as best PS4 game ever and it's definitely the best from a graphical standpoint...every scene is a gorgeous screenshot...Elena is looking really hot in this game...I never thought she was all that hot in the previous games but she's looking really good here with the fancy new Naughty Dog tech...the character models and animations are close to photo-realistic

just finished Chapter 18...that final fight inside Avery's mansion was really difficult (playing on Hard)

just finished Chapter 18...that final fight inside Avery's mansion was really difficult (playing on Hard)
Hmm not looking forward to it lol. Just started 18 last night. Playing on crushing with all aim assistance off.

The main issue has been ammo in a few of the fights. Every bad guy is using a different weapon, and you pick one up and it has half a mag of rounds. The battle riding the elevator up in 17 was a real PITA. Don't remember ever running out of ammo in 1-3, played through all of them on crushing as well.

Hmm not looking forward to it lol. Just started 18 last night. Playing on crushing with all aim assistance off.

The main issue has been ammo in a few of the fights. Every bad guy is using a different weapon, and you pick one up and it has half a mag of rounds. The battle riding the elevator up in 17 was a real PITA. Don't remember ever running out of ammo in 1-3, played through all of them on crushing as well.

ammo is definitely an issue as you always need to be looting enemies to pick up more...unless you happen to pick up the China Lake grenade launcher which is pretty powerful...I use melee a lot in the game because of the limited ammo...for some reason the aiming doesn't feel the same as the previous Uncharted games...I only played the remastered Nathan Drake Collection versions so maybe the 60fps made the difference...here the aiming doesn't feel as precise and maybe it has to do with the 30fps

Back