Unable to run 1:1 w/ G.Skill DDR2 800 / GA-X38-DQ6

Tabs

Limp Gawd
I got my new machine up and running last night (Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6, Q6600, 4GB G.Skill DDR2 800, 8800GT) and I'm having some problems with the memory...

The only setting I'm able to run it at is the full 400MHz using AUTO in the BIOS. This results in a 2:3 ratio - I've read that it's better to have the 1:1, so I set the memory multiplier thing to 2.00A, which shows 266MHz. Upon saving and rebooting though, the system fails to POST and I have to reset the CMOS.

I'm really stumped here - I'm technically underclocking the RAM, shouldn't it post just fine?? I've tried several different BIOS versions too and it does this with all of them. Seems to run fine at 400MHz, but it just seems like that's a waste of energy since I'm not OC'ing. (yet anyways)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

That is strange. I keep pretty good track of all things Gigabyte (I have a P965 DQ6) and can make two comments.

4 x 1GB on a Gigabyte is twitchy.
GSkill likes extra voltage. Check the manufactures web site for the recommended voltage and in the MIT section of the bios give it additional memory voltage (1.8V is the default and what you put in adds to that.) so the total voltage is near the top of the recommended range.

It makes no sense that addtional voltage is needed to make the memory run slower unless you have all the voltage settings still all on Auto. Then the bios at boot will raise the memory voltage to what is needed to boot properly. I speculate that when you put in the manual memory ratio the computer no longer tries to set a higher memory voltage and the default 1.8V is not quite enough. It is a screwy theory but the only one that matches the circumstances and results you are seeing.

I also recommend giving the MCH +.1V for stability and with 4 sticks to drive a tad of extra juice to the Memory Controller Hub aka Northbridge can not hurt.

is there a command rate option? i'm not too familiar with the X38's memory controller yet :(

I have 2X 2GB, not 1X4... Voltage is normal (1.8) when running at 400, don't see any possible reason it should have to be higher for 266. Command rate is 2T.

Well this just sucks - the system is totally unstable for anything other than desktop stuff. I just tried running TF2 and Flight Sim X and both crash almost immediately after going into 3D... Temps are fine, power rails look fine etc...

What G.Skill is it? Timings? Have you run Memtest? Is the board's BIOS up to date?

Well this just sucks - the system is totally unstable for anything other than desktop stuff. I just tried running TF2 and Flight Sim X and both crash almost immediately after going into 3D... Temps are fine, power rails look fine etc...

what PSU do u have btw ?

The full system specs btw:

Corsair 620HX PSU
Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 w/ F6b BIOS
Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ stock w/ TT V1 cooler
G.Skill 4GB (2X2GB)
BFG GeForce 8800GT OC
2X SATA2 WD 250GB HD's
LG 18X DVD+-RW SATA

If I don't get this figured out by monday I think I'm gonna swap for a P35 board and OCZ RAM... went with the G.Skill on recommendations here, but this is jacked that I can't change the memory ratio without it failing to POST. My roommate has a P35 system and I was able to change it no problem to whatever I wanted on his...

This just got even stranger:

I got it to post at DDR2 533, but it immediately started throwing tons of addressing errors in memtest. This does not happen at DDR2 800.

Am I looking at bad RAM here or is this a mobo problem somehow?

I see no indication you raises the Vdimm to 1.9 or 2.0 nor increased the MCH voltage.

At your current setting what does speedfan give you for Vcore2 (on most Gigabytes this is actually reading Vdimm) ?

I missed this,
AUTO in the BIOS. This results in a 2:3 ratio - I've read that it's better to have the 1:1,

1:1 is better for establishing a stable OC from which to start pushing the machine, 1:1 is how the chipset was optimized. I recommend 1:1 for most people because it is the lowest memory mulitplier and prevents memory issues until everything else is sorted out. However in your case it would be best to put all voltages on auto, everything in the MIT on auto, normal or SPD, and let the board go through its boot - reboot cycle(s) and let it determine voltages etc. This will give you a indication as to what to set manually to find an initial stable point. Some of the voltages are/will be alarming, hopefully they can, by experimentation, be reduced to more reasonable values. Any any event before you throw in the towel set everything to auto and see what you get for voltages.

or set the multi to 8 the fsb to 400, 2.0 mulitplier , +.2 memory , +.1 MCH and see what happens. then try +.2 MCH.

Bill,

I tried what you said and now after saving the BIOS the system is turning power to the board on and off several times before finally POSTing, but during that time it resets the CMOS and never actually boots with the settings I entered in..

I'm gonna go get an Abit IP35 Pro right now I think and see if I see anything similar... If not I'll know it's the Gigabyte board, and if so I'll know it's the RAM...

Gigabytes do that when something isn't set right. If my OC isn't stable it will try to boot twice then finally boot at default. Sounds like your RAM could be bad, or you have something set wrong.

Have you tried loosening the timings on it? Try 5-5-5-15.

It's always done this double boot thing but just now started going back to defaults.

I'm not even overclocking... All I do is set the memory divider to 2.0A (which should correspond to 1:1), leave the timings etc on auto and it does that double boot thing.

That double boot thing is actually inherent/common in the P35 and X38 chipsets. It's not a problem, just a major annoyance. At least from what I've read so far.

I flashed the BIOS to the original F3 version and the system is working with DDR 533 now - it seems sluggish to me though now, but it's passing memtest and I was able to play TF2 for a bit without issue.

Back