Ultimate Raspberry Pi 4 Rig: M.2 SSD & ICE Tower

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Raspberry Pi 4 rig with M.2 SATA boot SSD, ICE Tower cooler, and lots of heavy brass! This video is a voyage of discovery in search of an ultimate, steampunk Pi 4 configuration. Well, something like that. In addition to a RaspberryPi 4 8GB model, parts used in the build (and possible international alternatives) are as follows:"

I remain neutral about the Rpi 4. I bought one and while it worked, it was great. One fateful day I shut it down to install the very same ice tower as shown in this video and got the dreaded green light of death. I'm getting a warranty replacement, and hope my experience changes.

I’m waiting on a version that has a bit more oomph. I’m not unhappy with my 4, but for my cabinet I was hoping it could handle Gauntlet Dark Legacy and Legends but it can’t. :( hoping the 5 does more but the 4 is serving great as a SNES/Genesis box.

I’m waiting on a version that has a bit more oomph. I’m not unhappy with my 4, but for my cabinet I was hoping it could handle Gauntlet Dark Legacy and Legends but it can’t. :( hoping the 5 does more but the 4 is serving great as a SNES/Genesis box.

Honestly, I was briefly toying with picking up one of these ARM boards be it one of the Raspberry Pi or Odroid varieties, but then I came across Hardkernels Odroid H2+, a Gemini Lake Refresh Celeron with all the things (expandable RAM, M.2 slot, SATA ports, etc.) I have been missing from these ARM boards.

Now I am leaning in that direction instead. Only wish they wouldn't keep using Realtek networking. In the N2+ they used some new 2.5Gbit Realtek chip which has very poor driver compatibility. Would have been a much better board with Intel NIC's even if they were the slower gigabit variety.

Back