UK PS3 Launch is a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"no fanbo*" remarks yet based on some pictures you call the launch a disaster already? Nice.

Kotaku has done nothing but go viciously after PS3 since its launch. Sony hates them, they hate sony. Ill take it with a grain of salt.

There were other Uk retailers speaking that they hadnt seen such demand for any console as they have for the PS3 in some news posts a week ago.

I own a PS3 and love it, this is my comment putting the !!!!!! aside. Sony's pissed off a lot of people with the long delay of the PS3 in Europe, they screwed Europe, they screwed them back for making them wait so long, then getting rid of the ps2 chip set which makes backwards compatibility suck. Another thing that is making things difficult is the new Xbox 360 package, which is what I am waiting for before I invest in MS. 120GB HD, HDMI, and it's black, it also has the newer 1yr warantee (my friend killed a few 360s, the units they sent back were usually more beat up than the one he sent there, he sent his mint, they sent him a beater that worked for 6months. Sony is stepping towards the right direction, they are going to add rumble back (they settled the lawsuit), and they are improving online.
Main reason I like my PS3 is because it's the best Blue-Ray player in the market. As for will Sony get out of the hole, being honest is going to take some struggling, at the moment there is not that many PS3 games as an incentive to purchase a unit, when more games come out it will get better.

"no fanbo*" remarks yet based on some pictures you call the launch a disaster already? Nice.

Kotaku has done nothing but go viciously after PS3 since its launch. Sony hates them, they hate sony. Ill take it with a grain of salt.

There were other Uk retailers speaking that they hadnt seen such demand for any console as they have for the PS3 in some news posts a week ago.

Sorry, but it's hard to deny the obvious truth.

10editeurs20070323_012703_13_big.jpg

They screwed Europe three times. First with the delay, second with the higher pricepoint, and third with the removal of PS2 legacy hardware. I've been calling this since last Fall; it's about time some of you caught on to the truth.

Sorry, but it's hard to deny the obvious truth.

10editeurs20070323_012703_13_big.jpg

Ah, a guy posing looking cool at an empty queue for what/when/where? Maybe it will be a flop. But i still call shens on these so called news reports from bias site.s

:p

I prefer to look in reality. I'll trust real-world pictures before slanted reports from an online retailer.

Sony's pissed off a lot of people with the long delay of the PS3 in Europe, they screwed Europe,

Living in the UK myself, if there's a reason to be pissed off at Sony it's because the PS3 costs $835 rather than the fact we had to wait for it.

That link died from overload. Give it some time; it's a vid of that guy. That is the PS3 queue in Paris.

Eh, was talking to a guy from UK today, said he went to 3 places in his city and there were about 50 people at each place. So hey, guess where you live and such...

LOL Sega Saturn!

I remember when they offered 3 games with it free, some gun game, Virtua Fighter and some racing game.

Anyhow, the 3 games made me want it and I'm glad no one bought it for me.

<typical Sony response>gamers in the UK simply don't know what they're missing...how can we be responsible for the poor taste of gamers?</end typical Sony response>:D

I never seen so many root for the fall of one company when it affects us all.

It's not as if Sony doesn't deserve some of the seething hatred shown to them lately (okay, maybe not seething hatred, but you get my point).

Things will tone down once Sony drops the price and gets some of their major releases onto shelves.

It's actually good for consumers that Sony is not going to win this generation. It's time for them to go back to the drawing board and release the next PS1, a system that is easy to program for, priced fairly, and plays games and plays them well.

It also gives new life to Nintendo and MS, keeping both of them in for at least one more generation.

This is a good thing for us.

LOL Sega Saturn!

I remember when they offered 3 games with it free, some gun game, Virtua Fighter and some racing game.

Anyhow, the 3 games made me want it and I'm glad no one bought it for me.

That's actually when I went out and bought my Sega Saturn (which I still have). Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2 (awesome game back then), and Virtua Cop. Though the system failed earlier then most would have liked, I'm glad I was able to, and still am able to enjoy the likes of NiGHTs: Into Dreams, Shining Force III, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtual On, etc.

Anyway, as far as the launch is concerned, it'll be interesting to see the numbers. I saw this news story though, and thought it was funny. It doesn't have to do specifically with the launch, but it's kind of humorous:

Wheeled into our office this afternoon by a special ops team of beer couriers was this £146 pile of Fosters on behalf of one Microsoft Corporation. Was it because of our gushing GDC coverage? No, apparently MS has a more specific reason for its generous gift.

"What would you purchase for £146...? (The price difference between an Xbox 360 and a PlayStaion 3)", asks the included Xbox 360-headed notice. "Well, for a start we thought you might like £146 worth of beer to kick start your weekend early."

Signed, "Jump in. Xbox 360. The Leader in the next generation of gaming and entertainment."

Sony - we need £146 worth of pork scratchings and kebabs. PRONTO!

screenshot_176334.jpg

screenshot_176332.jpg

~ CVG

I thought it was sort of a funny "stunt" to pull off.

And Microsoft hasn't? You xbots are scary sometimes.

A full year of bad PR, constant bad-mouthing of the competition, constant hyping of the PS3, two revisions to shipment numbers, an entire territory cut out of the launch picture, a flog that blew up right in their faces, a ridiculously high price tag, and an 0-3 track record for all major regions...

You'd have to be a complete loyalist to even insenuate that Microsoft has even come close to approaching Sony and their handling to the Playstation 3.

*Edit*

I forgot to mention the high sales of Wii hardware and Xbox 360 software compared to the Playstation 3's abysmal showings on both fronts. I also forgot to mention the loss of several big exclusives.

And Microsoft hasn't? You xbots are scary sometimes.

A lot of people think of the Xbox team as a separate company...and in some ways it is. Like others have said, Sony has brought this on themselves. The impression I get is that the Xbox Live team is reacting to what gamers want and then doing what they can to make it happen. With Sony it seems more like "we know you will want what we have to offer because we are SONY after all!" Btw..don't worry about Sony "failing" as a company if the PS3 is not king of this round. The PS3 is just a part of a huge company that has their wick dipped in music, movies and all manner of consumer electronics. (not to mention the hugely successful PS2 which is still selling well)

We are now judging launches based on how big the lines are outside? Has anyone not read that Sony had a record number of PS3's in supply for this launch and there is no need to wait in line with a good enough supply?

it will never end.

We are now judging launches based on how big the lines are outside? Has anyone not read that Sony had a record number of PS3's in supply for this launch and there is no need to wait in line with a good enough supply?

it will never end.

Keep hope alive.

Honestly though...do you really believe that?

not worth the time.

I wouldn't try to justify such ridiculous spin either. I'll quote you in a few days when there is no other choice but to come to the realization that the Playstation 3 isn't moving in Europe.

I wouldn't try to justify such ridiculous spin either. I'll quote you in a few days when there is no other choice but to come to the realization that the Playstation 3 isn't moving in Europe.

You must be the guy who gains an emotional attachment to one system and must spread FUD around at all costs to make things right in lala land of console e-peen wars.

Why do you not read what I said, I never claimed they were having big sales, I commented on what they perceived to be poor sales and question their judgment as using a few pics of stores with no lines in front. However you clearly know how well it is selling being that you know what no one else knows.

Go ahead and quote me in a few days in will only make you look foolish. Too late :rolleyes:

Edit:
A system with no advantages over the competition that costs nearly 3X as much that is brought to us by one of the most arrogant companies in the history of gaming doesn't really mesh with my definition of "competition". -k600
yea im done with this.

I like how Microsoft went and crashed both the Paris and UK launches. Why?
It's a really, really desperate thing to do.

"Please guys! Rethink this!! C'mon... 360 loves you.. don't you love it back?? -tear"

:D

Anyway, it's too early to tell.

Here's a bit of Kotaku's report on the Australian launch that pretty much hits the nail on the head:
Still, this is only the first night of thousands that this thing will be on sale. I'd expect a few to be sold today and over the weekend as people do their shopping in regular, human hours, so it'd be unfair to pass judgement on the "launch" as whole until the GfK figures come in sometime next week.
I'm glad someone has a brain... unlike certain Xbox and Nintendo fanbos on a certain forum that starts with a H (or a [, depending on whether you count it or not).

And last, but certainly not least..
No one wants a PS3? Lets give away HDTVs!
Wow.
The HDTVs were given to people that were ALREADY on line, already about to purchase the PS3. It's not like it was a TV, radio, or internet promotion along the lines of "Come to the PS3 launch and get a free Bravia HDTV and ride home!!!".

:rolleyes:

You must be the guy who gains an emotional attachment to one system and must spread FUD around at all costs to make things right in lala land of console e-peen wars.

More spin? Congratulations; you almost steered the topic away from the fact that you are wrong. Perhaps you should insult me a few more times; that might make your ridiculous observations of the situation true. You made the foolish insenuation that PS3 sales are somehow going to pick up because a lack of people waiting, by some stretch of the imagination, indicates that people are excited for the system. :rolleyes:

Why do you not read what I said, I never claimed they were having big sales, I commented on what they perceived to be poor sales and question their judgment as using a few pics of stores with no lines in front. However you clearly know how well it is selling being that you know what no one else knows.

Nearly every story that has broken in regards to the launch day sales has been completely unwhelming. Please, feel free to quote more statements I've made that turned out to be true. You're sure to find plenty in regards to the Playstation 3; I knew it'd be a failure long before most.

Let's try to clear some things up, shall we?

1. The fact that Sony is giving away 46" HDTV's with their PS3s cannot be seen as a good thing (for the company as a whole). First of all, that means they are losing even more money with each console. Yes it is true that the people in line did not know about this beforehand, but the reality is that this was obviously a trick meant to encourage people NOT currently buying to pick up a console right away. This cannot be spun as good news.

2. I think it's too early to call the launch a complete disaster, but the fact that there are such lukewarm lines in Europe certainly is not positive. Euro gamers have had to wait through 5 months of delays and the PS3 hype machine was in full force at the same time of the Xbox 360. There's really no reason for the lack of strong lines. Think about it this way, Spider-Man 3 would be considered an early disappointment if it had a weekend opening of $50M (compared to the first two which grossed well over 100+ in each three-day debut); this is especially considering the budget that it takes to develop such a blockbuster film (production, marketing, salaries, CGI, etc).

3. Look, many of us are all about the PS3....on paper. But the reality is that things are not adding up at the moment (for me at least). I have no problem buying a PS3 down the road, but the decision to hold off is much easier for me when the Xbox 360 is cheaper, as powerful (or more in the GPU's case), and shares a rich lineup including many of Sony's old exclusives.

deception``

I personally think it'd be a good thing for a lot of gamers (360/wii owners admittedly) if the PS3 failed. It'd mean more devolopers would make games for the 360/wii which means more games I can get without having to buy the pricey PS3. (Which I would like to have one, but would rather not shell out the $$ just yet)

I personally think it'd be a good thing for a lot of gamers (360/wii owners admittedly) if the PS3 failed. It'd mean more devolopers would make games for the 360/wii which means more games I can get without having to buy the pricey PS3. (Which I would like to have one, but would rather not shell out the $$ just yet)

What about the 2 million (and growing) people who have bought a PS3?

Well I just pulled the trigger on my PS3. I wasn't really that excited about the launch and didn't pre-order but after speaking with the chap at my local Virgin yesterday (I actually went to see if they had Stalker for sale a day early) he said they had 60 PS3 on pre-order and 25 others for sale.

They had already sold 10 of those 25 when I went to pick mine up at 10am today. The shop opened at 9:30. There was even a queue for non-preoders.

So that's 70 PS3 sales out of 85 units, within 30 minutes of a small (you can barely swing a cat) Virgin Megastores opening. That's hardly a complete disaster launch for that particular store.

What about the 2 million (and growing) people who have bought a PS3?

I think many of them will come to the realization that they spent $200 more on a console that won't end up being as good as the 360 when its all said and done.

That doesn't answer the question and is typical weak smack.

Here's an answer:

Short-term PS3 sales aren't terrible, but the most important thing is how well the PS3 sells over the long-term. Many people have purchased the PS3 based on things yet to come....others have purchased simply based on the great experience of the PS2. Simply put, the PS3 has yet to deliver on many of it's promise - hell the Xbox 360 has just really started taking off in my opinion.

Unlike some, I'm not going to ignore the fact that some have already purchased PS3s, but we must look at the overall trend.

deception``

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back