UK PS3 Launch is a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the amount of energy consumers put into the "console war" is amazing.

i wonder how many F5 keys are broken every year.

Here's an answer:

Short-term PS3 sales aren't terrible, but the most important thing is how well the PS3 sells over the long-term. Many people have purchased the PS3 based on things yet to come....others have purchased simply based on the great experience of the PS2. Simply put, the PS3 has yet to deliver on many of it's promise - hell the Xbox 360 has just really started taking off in my opinion.

Unlike some, I'm not going to ignore the fact that some have already purchased PS3s, but we must look at the overall trend.

deception``

:confused:

That doesn't answer the question either...

He said that it's best for gamers that Sony fails...

Before the EU/AU launch, over 2 million PS3's had sold... how is it good for the 2 million+ people who bought the PS3 if Sony fails?

He said that it's best for gamers that Sony fails.

It depends on what "fails" means.

IMO, i'd like to see it more even this time around in the console wars, without sony having the massive advantage they had last time, this will mean less exclusives, so that consumers can play the big games whatever system they choose.

Its not neccesarily that people hate Sony, its just the masses of crap they have been spewing lately, and then looking at them falling flat on there face with some disastrous launches, you can hardly expect people not to sit up and laugh about them.

I never seen so many root for the fall of one company when it affects us all.

what are you kidding me? how long has death been wished upon microsoft? 12 years now? the fall of sony wouldnt be shit compared to the fall of microsoft.

:confused:

That doesn't answer the question either...

He said that it's best for gamers that Sony fails...

Before the EU/AU launch, over 2 million PS3's had sold... how is it good for the 2 million+ people who bought the PS3 if Sony fails?

I didn't even believe that comment warranted a direct answer, but here goes:

I don't think that the PS3 "failing" is a good thing, especially for those who have already fronted cash for the console. I think that any sane person expects the PS3 to sell reasonably well, but I sincerely doubt that you'll see the sort of next-gen market dominance by a single console that we saw last round.

I think that Sony is making the same mistake that nintendo made with the N64. Nintendo gambled on first-party titles and cartridges and ultimately lost the crown to Sony with its DVD medium and large selection of third-party titles (and exclusives). In short, the PS2 had the rich library similar to the one that ultimately made the SNES more popular than the Sega Genesis (Final Fight, Contra!?).

What's the point? Nintendo failed to recognize that the gaming landscape was changing, Sony capitalized and the Playstation won our hearts. Now, it seems like Sony assumed that the same formula that worked for the PSX/PS2 would work for the PS3, but they have very real competition in both the Xbox 360 and Wii this time.

deception``

I personally think it'd be a good thing for a lot of gamers (360/wii owners admittedly) if the PS3 failed.

Actually that would not be a good thing. Yes the Wii sells like hotcakes but it is really not a main competitor to the 360. If the PS3 fails, where is the competition? Who is going to push M$ to improve the console reliability? Who is going to force them to provide better online service? Price reductions? Why? Your no longer competing against anyone. Games will start to suffer IMO. 1st party titles wont push anymore to get people to the system.

Wow.
The HDTVs were given to people that were ALREADY on line, already about to purchase the PS3. It's not like it was a TV, radio, or internet promotion along the lines of "Come to the PS3 launch and get a free Bravia HDTV and ride home!!!".

:rolleyes:

Thank you! I was gonna post this.

How can people say something bad about Sony giving away free 46" HDTV as a surprise ? Now if Nintendo/MS would've done the same it would be a different story ... :rolleyes:

Well I just pulled the trigger on my PS3. I wasn't really that excited about the launch and didn't pre-order but after speaking with the chap at my local Virgin yesterday (I actually went to see if they had Stalker for sale a day early) he said they had 60 PS3 on pre-order and 25 others for sale.

They had already sold 10 of those 25 when I went to pick mine up at 10am today. The shop opened at 9:30. There was even a queue for non-preoders.

So that's 70 PS3 sales out of 85 units, within 30 minutes of a small (you can barely swing a cat) Virgin Megastores opening. That's hardly a complete disaster launch for that particular store.

Of course everyone ignores the one person in this thread who has first hand experience of the PS3 launch in Europe/UK.

Doesnt sound bad from that report.

Of course everyone ignores the one person in this thread who has first hand experience of the PS3 launch in Europe/UK.

Doesnt sound bad from that report.

Lol...of course they won't. It goes against what they want to believe. ;)

I still don't see how you all want something to fail. Who cares if the PS3/Xbox360/Wii all live in a world, where they co-exist. :p I know it won't happen...but why do you all wish that it fail so bad?

I understand you say Sony lied and such, but don't buy their products and don't ever look at them again and move on with your life, that would hurt them more then making fun of them on a internet message board. It's like your just wanting it to die, because either a) You want to buy it b) You are a "faboiii" c) you just are ignorant *edit* d) you just can't afford one, so you bash it... */edit*

Lol...of course they won't. It goes against what they want to believe. ;)

I still don't see how you all want something to fail. Who cares if the PS3/Xbox360/Wii all live in a world, where they co-exist. :p I know it won't happen...but why do you all wish that it fail so bad?

I understand you say Sony lied and such, but don't buy their products and don't ever look at them again and move on with your life, that would hurt them more then making fun of them on a internet message board. It's like your just wanting it to die, because either a) You want to buy it b) You are a "faboiii" c) you just are ignorant

You forgot d) Too poor, and need to bash to lift up my self esteem to make myself feel better about my poverty.

You forgot d) Too poor, and need to bash to lift up my self esteem to make myself feel better about my poverty.

Yeah I did have a) You want one, but you can't afford it....

But I edited it :p

Only people that I really take serious on here are the people that have all 3 or at least 2. I have both the Xbox360 and PS3, and sold my Wii a couple weeks ago, because it just wasn't my type of system.

I tend to aggre with d) when I see people senselessley bashing new tech. It was, and still is the same with nVidia vs ATI over the 8800GTX cards. Yes, they are expensive. Yes they are desirable cutting edge technology. The ones that can't afford it, yet desire it, will bash those that have one.

I remember bashing my friend's Amiga and proclaiming my Atari ST the best thing since sliced bread, even though I knew the Amiga had better graphics and was technologically superior to my ST. I was a teenager, with little disposable budget and had already saved hard for the ST.

It's the same old, same old. Just ignore the naysayers. At the end of the day, all 3 will have exclusive titles. A gamer with a large disposable budget will have all three.

Yeah I did have a) You want one, but you can't afford it....

But I edited it :p

Only people that I really take serious on here are the people that have all 3 or at least 2. I have both the Xbox360 and PS3, and sold my Wii a couple weeks ago, because it just wasn't my type of system.

Thats exactly my situation. Owned all three, sold the Wii after it just stopped doing anything for me.

And i still believe the 360 is superior to the PS3, but i have been having a ton of fun on the PS3 and i dont get why people feel the need to talk about how much it sucks when its apparent none of those people have sat down with solid time to experience one.

As a sidenote, i DID buy the PS3 not only for the games, but due to the blu-ray player. So i dont look at it as soley a gaming machine. It is first and foremost, but im not giving myself tunnel vision, it offers much more.

Yeh D would explian it.

It's cos deep down they want one :p, in almost every gaming forum you'll see angered gamers trying so hard why to justify why their "Wii60" combo is enough. If they're truly satisfied then they would have no need to justify this. It's simple, if your satsified and happy with your current setup, then don't buy the PS3. It's amazing how many keep declaring "Wii60" for the win in PS3 bashing threads.

On another note, its funny how some have already declared PS3 a failure due to the PAL Launches. If launch sales made up 90% of console's lifetime sales then i guess yeah you can call it a failure.

I personally think it'd be a good thing for a lot of gamers (360/wii owners admittedly) if the PS3 failed. It'd mean more devolopers would make games for the 360/wii which means more games I can get without having to buy the pricey PS3. (Which I would like to have one, but would rather not shell out the $$ just yet)

If by "fail" you mean Sony leaving the console game then that would NOT be a good thing by any stretch of the imagination. Leaving MS and Nintendo (which really aren't competeing with their products) to control the console market would mean higher prices all around and much less urgency to add new "features" and incentives. Fierce competition drives technology and innovation...lack of competition just means stagnation while the company rakes in large profits.

If by "fail" you mean Sony leaving the console game then that would NOT be a good thing by any stretch of the imagination. Leaving MS and Nintendo (which really aren't competeing with their products) to control the console market would mean higher prices all around and much less urgency to add new "features" and incentives. Fierce competition drives technology and innovation...lack of competition just means stagnation while the company rakes in large profits.

That's the thing though, the PS3 will never truly fail, as far as completely disappearing from the market. It might end up being the 3rd place console in the sales race, but Sony isn't going to just flat stop making them and go back to the drawing board. They will ride out this generation, and try again with the next one, just like Nintendo did with the Gamecube, and Microsoft with the original XBox.

1st of all, no one is jealous of a PS3 owner because they cant afford one. This is America, people have gone into debt over dumber things than a new game console. plus they hand out credit cards like they're skittles.

2ndly, the PS3 has SHIT for games. God of War2 is the best game on the PS3 right now.

3rd on the list, the smart consumer isnt going to buy this thing right now based on what the PS1 did or what the PS2 got away with. that would be stupid.

The PS3 hasen't offered ANYTHING to write home about so far. They should have waited to launch until they had the software to back up the hardware, a clue of what and how to implement some kind of online community hub from day 1, and have done it at a lower price point. those points cannot be denied, cannot be argued.

1st of all, no one is jealous of a PS3 owner because they cant afford one. This is America, people have gone into debt over dumber things than a new game console. plus they hand out credit cards like they're skittles.

2ndly, the PS3 has SHIT for games. God of War2 is the best game on the PS3 right now.

#1 is not true, there are people jealous who cant afford one. Not everyone, but lots id guarantee it. Everyone doesnt go into debt just to buy a sytem, nor can everyone afford to get one if they really want one. What you dont understand or cant have people naturally try to discount.

#2 is false. At least they might be shit games to you, but IMO they have better games than the Wii does at this point(exactly why im playing my ps3 and 360 now and sold my Wii). Again a matter of opinion, but ive spent more time with F1:CE/Oblivion/Motorstorm/VF5 on my PS3 than any game on my 360 in the past month.
I keep hearing this "shit for games" being thrown around, but its simply not true anymore.

Check out how lonely my 360 has been in the past month of great PS3 releases.
http://www.360voice.com/tag/pl1ght

Thats exactly my situation. Owned all three, sold the Wii after it just stopped doing anything for me.

And i still believe the 360 is superior to the PS3, but i have been having a ton of fun on the PS3 and i dont get why people feel the need to talk about how much it sucks when its apparent none of those people have sat down with solid time to experience one.

As a sidenote, i DID buy the PS3 not only for the games, but due to the blu-ray player. So i dont look at it as solely a gaming machine. It is first and foremost, but im not giving myself tunnel vision, it offers much more.

This is my exact same situation. I owned all 3, but gave my Wii to my nephew (cool little system, but not really for me). It drives me completely nuts that people feel the need to bash whichever system they don't own. If you don't want one, don't buy it. You will never see me bashing the Wii even though I didn't particularly care for it. Everyone has different tastes and I respect that.

All that being said, I really do hope that the console race is dead even this time around. I think the next "next gen" will be that much better if all the companies feel the pressure of trying to come out on top. More competition means better products and better prices for us all. So you shouldn't wish for "failure" of any system, you should wish for a close race.

#1 is not true, there are people jealous who cant afford one. Not everyone, but lots id guarantee it. Everyone doesnt go into debt just to buy a sytem, nor can everyone afford to get one if they really want one. What you dont understand or cant have people naturally try to discount.
That may be true, some people could be jelous, but how is that a remotely valid argument? Price is a barrier to entry. So guess what? I don't want one because the price is too high. No bashing there.

Now to be honest, the European launch has been pathetic. People can say the PS3 hasn't done "too bad", but when it comes down to it, look at how well the Xbox 360 (or the Wii!) have been doing. Having anywhere from a handful of people to lines of 100+ people is a failure if you don't sell out. The fact is there is still a lot of stock left in Europe. At this point in time, Sony barely deserves third place.

This is my exact same situation. I owned all 3, but gave my Wii to my nephew (cool little system, but not really for me). It drives me completely nuts that people feel the need to bash whichever system they don't own. If you don't want one, don't buy it. You will never see me bashing the Wii even though I didn't particularly care for it. Everyone has different tastes and I respect that.

All that being said, I really do hope that the console race is dead even this time around. I think the next "next gen" will be that much better if all the companies feel the pressure of trying to come out on top. More competition means better products and better prices for us all. So you shouldn't wish for "failure" of any system, you should wish for a close race.

Yup. I'll never get that strange console loyalty issue. People pre-decide which console they plan to get months in advance and they feel this crazy desire to bash any and all other consoles. Anyone who made a different decision is stupid and those other consoles suck and have shitty games.
I'll never understand this crazy logic behind supporting one company/console over the other ones.
I've been gaming since the early 80's and even when I've been a poor college student I still never had any ill-will toward the systems I couldn't buy at the time.

Ok here goes my 2 cents.

PS3 has been beaten down by bad press, bad console launch, Online everything, xbox !!!!!!s, wii!!!!!!, them selves for raise the price and removing hardware and lying every chance they get.

The PS3 isn't going to start selling well for a while because of all the negativity around it but the negativity doesn't mean its a bad system it just means that the majority of people "think" it's a bad system and most of them have never played it and never will because they are convinced that they hate the PS3 without touching the system, without looking at what it can do, without seeing what developers have in store for the future, without even giving the system a shot because there minds were made with no real facts before the launch.

The wave of ignorant favoritism could kill the ps3 but it's unlikely eventually the bonds of blind hatred will start to fade as time passes and many good applications come out on ps3 and people actually start useing the system.

It's interesting.

I've just come back from central London and EVERY major retailer on Oxford Street, including

HMV, Game, Virgin and Currys ALL still have stock. Virgin have somewhere in the region of 250+ consoles according the chap I spoke to.

In Game I heard the staff talking amongst themselves and basically wondering why the units were not shipping. One of them thought it was due to price, another was saying it was due to the delays.

I don't get it. Maybe its the launch lineup. I am 100% certain that if a football game, say Pro Evo, had been in the launch lineup you would be seeing far more sales, in the UK especially.

It's is strange though, I can't remember a recent console launch where you could walk into just about any store after lunchtime and still be able to find stock,

I tend to aggre with d) when I see people senselessley bashing new tech. It was, and still is the same with nVidia vs ATI over the 8800GTX cards. Yes, they are expensive. Yes they are desirable cutting edge technology. The ones that can't afford it, yet desire it, will bash those that have one.

I remember bashing my friend's Amiga and proclaiming my Atari ST the best thing since sliced bread, even though I knew the Amiga had better graphics and was technologically superior to my ST. I was a teenager, with little disposable budget and had already saved hard for the ST.

It's the same old, same old. Just ignore the naysayers. At the end of the day, all 3 will have exclusive titles. A gamer with a large disposable budget will have all three.

I like your response. People should read it twice:) silly kids..haha

Yup. I'll never get that strange console loyalty issue. People pre-decide which console they plan to get months in advance and they feel this crazy desire to bash any and all other consoles. Anyone who made a different decision is stupid and those other consoles suck and have shitty games.
I'll never understand this crazy logic behind supporting one company/console over the other ones.
I've been gaming since the early 80's and even when I've been a poor college student I still never had any ill-will toward the systems I couldn't buy at the time.

Nobody here has ill-will because they can't afford it; the argument is a fallacy that is perpetuated by the minority of PS3 owners who want to make themselves seem elite. They're the direct result of Sony's attempt to convince people that they're the "Mercedes" of gaming (Despite the fact that the only true advantage they have over the competition is Blu-Ray).

Gaming is an expensive hobby. People who can afford to spend $400 on a console can surely get up enough money to spend another $200. The question is whether or not they feel the extra money is justified.

Gaming is an expensive hobby. People who can afford to spend $400 on a console can surely get up enough money to spend another $200. The question is whether or not they feel the extra money is justified.

Exactly. In the last three months, I have purchased both a 360 and Wii with about 4-6 games for each. If I really wanted to, I could have bought a PS3.

But I didn't. To me, it's flat-out not worth $600. Maybe in a year it will be (it took me over a year to pony up for a 360), but right now, it's not.

Though I should put it on my wedding registry... I won't spend the $600, but I don't mind if someone else does it for me. I wouldn't mind taking a stab at Resistance. :D

Exactly. In the last three months, I have purchased both a 360 and Wii with about 4-6 games for each. If I really wanted to, I could have bought a PS3.

But I didn't. To me, it's flat-out not worth $600. Maybe in a year it will be (it took me over a year to pony up for a 360), but right now, it's not.

Though I should put it on my wedding registry... I won't spend the $600, but I don't mind if someone else does it for me. I wouldn't mind taking a stab at Resistance. :D

I bought a 360 for gears of war and that game alone made my purchase feel worth it,
I bought resistance and a ps3 for the PCM 7.1 audio as it was supposed to be great, and mainly the list of exclusives + blu-ray, thus far it is good to own both.

on XBOX i look forward to halo3, and shadowrun, ps3 i am looking forward to Lair, MGS4, and FFXIII. Wii doesnt appeal that much to me.

I think the 360 is awesome, I think the PS3 is awesome, I think the Wii is Fun:p haha

Can't we all just get along? Where is the love peeps.

Oh the irony...you're one of the biggest Nintendo "Fanbo" on here.

You know, at least get it right if you are going to talk shit. I hate Sony because they killed my Dreamcast. PS3 just makes it worse. The 'mercades of video games' does not jive with me. I have a PS2. I like the PS2. That console make sense, price wise and game wise. PS3 does not. Why? Cause they did not make what I want. A games machine. They made an expensive media computer with an unproven format tacked on, and that is not what I want to play my games on. (or pay for.)

As for Nintendo, pfft gimme a break. They made 2 damn good affordable products, they deserve the praise I give them. They gave me exactly what I wanted. A video game machine. Not some silly movie playing computer thats overpriced. I like them, so I'm a fanbo? You're funny. Thanks for the silly flame though, I thought it was cute.

Here you go. I found this picture just for you.
sonyblurayplayer.jpg

"It also plays games...." $600? The Philips CD-i cost the same and also "played games"

I'm sure theres a market for media computers that also play games, but not for me. Thats what my PC is for.
What it come down to is the fact that I want to play games (not watch movies, so dont make me pay for that), and I do not want to be raped at the cash register to play them.

Sony (This generation) can kiss my ass. /end rant
Get back on topic.

then why not ignore it all, move right the hell along and play what you do like?

you act like Sony killed your dog.

then why not ignore it all, move right the hell along and play what you do like?

you act like Sony killed your dog.

Heres why I dont ignore it.
Tekken 6 at E3.
ps3tekken1.jpg

Today.
tekken-6-20070216024719587.jpg

Whats the extra $200 for again?
Either way, where are you? In a games forum. I'll voice my opinion, thank you.

oh, my bad. i didn't realize they gave prizes for disappointment and misjudging a promo shot.
carry on.

Well if you still want to give them $600 after that deception, No one is stopping you.
Whatever, this isnt supposed to be a flame Sony topic. This is what the lauach is looking like, and its definintly not what anyone expected. (Noticed my 'shocked' comments under those links? I did not flame Sony once. Well... until homedude decided to attack me.) This is just the reality of what is going on.

I'm not arguing anymore, this is pointless.
The reality is there. Just like all their descions leading up to this point. Judge that if you will.

Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back