Ubuntu Desktop Installation Guide for F@H

I'm having an issue getting my winbox to see the shared folder so I can use hfm to monitor the ubuntu setup.

By machine name or ip address? I gave up on machine name a while ago.

by either.

Not even in network neighbourhood can i see the fah folder.

For some reason, when i r click on the fah folder it never shows it is shared

did you right click on the Linux fah folder and set up permissions and sharing?

If you already did that, you may just need to reboot both Linux and Windows machines.

I right clicked, add the 3 checks, hit share and it doesn't stick. It's as if I don't have permission.

I can see the shared printers though.

Do you see an error message at the bottom of the share form after you accept? If you do, what does it say? If the share option are not holding, then I would not expect the folder to be visible.

No error, when I share any folder it says additional parameters are needed, and asks if Nautalis can add them.

I click yes

Error:

The folder "Public" needs the following extra permissions for sharing to work:
- write permission by others
Do you want Nautilus to add these permissions to the folder automatically?

What kind of issue?

If you shared the folder, and you said you did, it should show up in your network directory on your windows machine.

Have you rebooted the machines in question?

Yha, rebooted both. I can see the "shared printers" but no folder that I share myself.

Wonder if i mucked up the initial samba setupin the step 6

First, check to see if its IP has changed..

Second, if IP is not changed, then do this at command line:

chmod 755 fah

Then check your HFM to see if HFM can read result from your ubuntu box.

No that didnt help, but doing a butt load of searching, I found a waay to get it going.

Thanbks all.

I had to startup Nautlis and specifically go to gthe home/fah/ to share it.

I'm sure i bulloxed it up mnyself some how., Crappy thing is I lost a ram stick so I'm only running 4 sticks, so I'm unsure if vb ubuntu, isd the same speed as the linux img. Which is what i was testing n the first place.

This thread has been very helpful. I ran updates and didn't think anything of it, then skimmed the thread realizing that some updates break things, so that has been squared away.

Now the last thing I am after is below:

As in are you using it...because we said don't....
slaughters machines performance over 16 cores... or 24 intel threads...

node interleaving off numa on.... set any power save features to max performance... and use da kraken... and just say no to bfs...

I have this mobo and do not see the options in the bios...

http://tyan.com/product_SKU_spec.aspx?ProductType=MB&pid=682&SKU=600000027

Thanks.

Not sure if anyone else has tried but I actually was seeing even or worse TPF with BFS and the Xeon E5-2600 2P configuration.

IIRC BFS is only good for upto 24 threads, Even the guy who made it says so, it you have 8c/16t chips you are rocking 32threads. In which case its best to stick with the regular scheduler

IIRC BFS is only good for upto 24 threads, Even the guy who made it says so, it you have 8c/16t chips you are rocking 32threads. In which case its best to stick with the regular scheduler

I don't think we ever did definitive testing, but the cut-off for BFS is somewhere between 24 and 32 threads. So, I am not surprised with your results.

I dropped BFS when I changed from Mint to Ubuntu 10. Just using the Kraken on my 2P L5640's. Picked up about 5% in ppd. Wasn't sure if it was the linux change or the deletion of BFS.

I'm having trouble untar thekraken. it says its not in gzip format

I would check the file you downloaded to verify you do not have a partial or corrupt file. Run "md5sum thekraken-0.6.tar.gz". You should see the same results as below. If not, delete the file and redownload it (the wget command).

Code:
firedfly@PxeServer:~$ md5sum thekraken-0.6.tar.gz
5a3a47e6dc095cac47e8e79f4db04ac4  thekraken-0.6.tar.gz

I've d/l and md5sum it 5 times now and get a different md5 number

I get
fdb3280e3301cf354f944e3066ce13c7

How are you downloading the file? Browser? wget? Are you using some kind of download
manager there?

Can you run (and post the output):
Code:
file thekraken-0.6.tar.gz

What is the output of:
Code:
wget http://darkswarm.org/thekraken-0.6.tar.gz

Here's reference output from my system:
Code:
$ wget http://darkswarm.org/thekraken-0.6.tar.gz
--2012-03-11 15:08:03--  http://darkswarm.org/thekraken-0.6.tar.gz
Resolving darkswarm.org... 85.11.66.60
Connecting to darkswarm.org|85.11.66.60|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 18643 (18K) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: “thekraken-0.6.tar.gz”

100%[======================================>] 18,643      48.6K/s   in 0.4s    

2012-03-11 15:08:04 (48.6 KB/s) - “thekraken-0.6.tar.gz” saved [18643/18643]

$ md5sum thekraken-0.6.tar.gz
5a3a47e6dc095cac47e8e79f4db04ac4  thekraken-0.6.tar.gz
$

Okay.. I'm a slight idiot. Yes the md5sum was wrong, and yes I d/l it with wget over and over... But stupidly, being a linux noob, i didn't know it did not over write, but append the file name.

The other versions I d/l are fine.

Yeah, wget could be doing better job at emphasizing use of different file name, too...

Hey guys,
I'm using a neater way to start HFM.NET than using the terminal and I thought I'd share it here.

To replicate, first go here for HFM.NET's logo:
Code:
http://code.google.com/p/hfm-net/logo?cct=1286848347
and right-click, save as "logo.png" under the "hfm" folder you already have.

Then, using terminal, enter the following, of course by replacing "yourfavoritetexteditor" appropriately:
Code:
"yourfavoritetexteditor" ~/.local/share/applications/hfm.desktop
If you're not using GNOME or Ubuntu, you may have to change the path to the location where your distro keeps the personalized ".desktop" files.
This will open a new file in your text editor if none existed.

Type in, or copy-paste the following, by replacing "username":
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=HFM.NET
GenericName=HFM.NET
Comment=HFM.NET
Exec=gksudo mono /home/"username"/hfm/HFM.exe
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Icon=/home/"username"/hfm/logo.png
Type=Application
Categories=Network;
MimeType=text/html;
StartupNotify=true
If you're using KDE, replace "gksudo" with "kdesudo". No wait, if you're using KDE, do a clean distro install with GNOME :D :p
Save and exit.

Now, you should see the HFM.NET icon under "Network" or "Internet" in your applications menu. Click, and it should ask for your admin password in a pop-up. If somehow it doesn't work, replace "gksudo" above with "gksu".

Three thoughts....
1. How is this still not stickied?
2. Wonder if 12.04 will be faster.
3. Would be good if we could find a way to script Ubuntu Server samba setup. Assume this guide is followed so F@H is in /home/username/fah/ That would make HFM setup much easier. Ubuntu server is just much lighter than desktop from an installation size perspective.

3. Would be good if we could find a way to script Ubuntu Server samba setup. Assume this guide is followed so F@H is in /home/username/fah/ That would make HFM setup much easier. Ubuntu server is just much lighter than desktop from an installation size perspective.

I have been thinking about an Ubuntu Server guide, since that is all I have been using personally these days. I don't know that we really need to "script" the samba setup, but a sample smb.conf is very helpful. Let me solicit some recommendations and I'll see what i can come up with.

I did a server install on one of my boxes and used many of the instructions here. I also installed gnome and use it as a desktop. Long story short the dell t100 does not like to run the ubuntu 10.10 installer.

I'll definitely try 12.04 but only after the final release ;)
I'm trying it right now on my laptop but only for fun, it's the best for me so far since 10.10.

Any volunteers for testing? :eek:

i've been getting horrific load imbalances recently on my rig's in the last month or so, once i'm back from vacation i'll be more than willing to give it a try on one of my linux rigs

Back