Ubuntu Desktop Installation Guide for F@H

Just noticed a big slowdown with one of my Linux machines. I believe one of the recent updates effects how well things fold. Has anyone noticed this?

Just noticed a big slowdown with one of my Linux machines. I believe one of the recent updates effects how well things fold. Has anyone noticed this?

kernel revved... knocked tears wrapper off... try and re installing kraken...

kernel revved... knocked tears wrapper off... try and re installing kraken...

When ./fah6 starts it says the kraken is running and it shows up as taking all the cpu cycles in system monitor.

Does it crash early in the unit, or when it goes to upload? I was having an issue I thought was the overclock, would BSOD Windows when the VM went to upload.

H.
It mainly crashes after 90 mins or so of folding
was fine previously.
Under windows it goes and goes but VM Ubuntu 10.10 is being painful.
My machine is fairly new and this is the first kind of issues with folding ive had.
Temps are fine(high 60's) / voltage is fine (1.38) / modest overclock at the moment 4600 (2600K)
not sure if theres something specific im missing - or if im even in the correct thread:confused:

It mainly crashes after 90 mins or so of folding
was fine previously.
Under windows it goes and goes but VM Ubuntu 10.10 is being painful.
My machine is fairly new and this is the first kind of issues with folding ive had.
Temps are fine(high 60's) / voltage is fine (1.38) / modest overclock at the moment 4600 (2600K)
not sure if theres something specific im missing - or if im even in the correct thread:confused:

Linux folding does seem to push the CPU harder than good ol' Windows - and gets a nice bump in PPD at the same time. I'd try dropping down the O/C a noth or two and see if it stabalizes.

H.

I know, but consider it a troubleshooting step - if it stabalizes, you know you need to tweak the overclock to get it stable at a higher clock, if it doesn't, then it's probably not the O/C and there is something else you need to look at.

H.

Just got my ubuntu minimal install done, will be looking forward to the ppd increase over W7.

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome walk through for us linux challenged folks, as a thanks I'm once again folding for the [H] while testing my quad-g34 rig,

4.4GHz is the average for i7-2600K. Means yours is better than about half the chips out there.

That seems so low based on what you see on forums and signatures across the enthusiast circle, may I ask where the source of that average stems from?

I'm 2 for 2 on 2600k's that fold at 4.7ghz at the upper end (1.38) of the normal voltage range and I consider my chips low clockers compared to most others on the board. I'm not questioning you info, I'm just shocked it could be that low.

That seems so low based on what you see on forums and signatures across the enthusiast circle, may I ask where the source of that average stems from?

I'm 2 for 2 on 2600k's that fold at 4.7ghz at the upper end (1.38) of the normal voltage range and I consider my chips low clockers compared to most others on the board. I'm not questioning you info, I'm just shocked it could be that low.

Sure, ASUS. Their tests show average of 4.4. You have to remember, a high number of enthusiasts will pump their results, others with sub-par results will not post them, and there are chips that will go higher under lower loads.

an update ... after a bios update (there was 4 apparently since i bought my SB board just 2 months ago) to help with memory & stability i was able to run at 4.4 under windows with the VM still occasionally crashing. My focus switched to the VM software itself. As i mentioned before windows folding was fine but just inefficient. After having lots of fun un-installing VMWare Player 3.0.0. I went to VMWare workstation with even worse results (instant crash of the OC apon executing)

So a big bite of the bullet and i decided to see once and for all - by dual booting Ubuntu & Windows. At first I was getting bunk errors when trying to execute the fah file and a lot of reading lead me to find that i had used the wrong iso (686) it should of been the amd x86 64bit.

so back to windows .. install the correct version, log into ubuntu 10.10. & upgrade some files.
Then by following the super easy setup on this site i was up and running 4.8Ghz @1.36V 4Ghz G.Skill DDR3 XMP enabled 2133 @ 9-11-9-27

Under windows my tpf was around 27:30 for P2686
As we speak i have had this running all night all looks very good under Ubuntu am currently between tpf of 21:04 - 21:07

kudos to your very informative forum & its well documented guides.
Its clear to see why [H] is going so strong on the leaderboard.
Well done and thankyou :cool:

I know, but consider it a troubleshooting step - if it stabalizes, you know you need to tweak the overclock to get it stable at a higher clock, if it doesn't, then it's probably not the O/C and there is something else you need to look at.

H.

Last edited:
I need some HELP. Trying to get Ubuntu 10.10 installed. It crashes indicating that there is a corruption in the CPU or the CPU is not supported. I am currently running an SR-2 w/2x L5640's (ES). This is a similar configuration to more than a few members of the [H]orde.

- Is there something special that needs to be done as part of the install? I am at stock clocks and it still continues to crash with the error messages.
- Is there a different version of Ubuntu that I should try?
- I've tried unetbootin as well as direct from a CD with no joy

I need some HELP. Trying to get Ubuntu 10.10 installed. It crashes indicating that there is a corruption in the CPU or the CPU is not supported. I am currently running an SR-2 w/2x L5640's (ES). This is a similar configuration to more than a few members of the [H]orde.

- Is there something special that needs to be done as part of the install? I am at stock clocks and it still continues to crash with the error messages.

- Use 10.10 Desktop 64 bit
- May re-download? It sort of sounds like a bad CD or something
- I have NEVER seen that error, and I have probably installed various Ubuntu 10.10/11.04 variants on my identical SR-2s a dozen times over the last several months.

Normal amd64 Desktop/Server/Alt/Mini should all work. Is this all from the same iso?

musky, huge thanks for the guide.

I am currently folding on a 6901 (unfortunately) with the kraken successfully running and FAH successfully installed (I think)

I only understood about 50% of what I did, but your guide made it easy. Now I just need to work on sharing this PC's drives on the network and getting a WHS VM running properly.

+props

musky, huge thanks for the guide.

I am currently folding on a 6901 (unfortunately) with the kraken successfully running and FAH successfully installed (I think)

I only understood about 50% of what I did, but your guide made it easy. Now I just need to work on sharing this PC's drives on the network and getting a WHS VM running properly.

+props

I setup over the weekend as well, nothing like blindly typing in CLI commands that you know nothing of! :p

I setup over the weekend as well, nothing like blindly typing in CLI commands that you know nothing of! :p

Or even better, just cutting and pasting the whole damn line from Musky's guide using Ctrl-shift-v :cool:

I forgot to turn numa back on at first.

Had some trouble getting vnc to play nice, also didn't know wtf a .bundle file was that contained the VMWare installer.

I'm making progress though.

Let us know what you find!

If its all kernal though, shouldn't you be able to backport that to current installs for evaluation?
I bet the difference is purely due to Wu variation. He sounds like a noob.

I did change the permission but it still does not work. Even changed to 777.
I will check my system again. Could be that I got wrong version of Ubuntu (32 bits) ???

Thanks

32 bit shouldn't matter. Your fah executable should look something like this:
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 dave dave  314840 2011-02-23 17:12 fah6
You may want to just delete the fah directory and start over. I have never seen the issue you are describing.

yes it does matter. In Windows it doesn't, but in Unix/Linux ... it does

I would check its version when I get home.

Back