Ubuntu Desktop Installation Guide for F@H

How important is changing to the ext3 file system from ext4? I thought I was going to be given a chance to do it during a standard install to a new HDD but when I clicked next the install process began.

I decided to stick with it rather than reinstall right away, but if it's really important I will just reformat/reinstall.

Very important, for some reason ext4 takes an hour to write out the files at the end of the wu, ext3 takes a few seconds. Not sure on the ppd hit if you stick with ext4 but i bet its several thousand.

I just use VNC/Remote desktop while on the LAN, and use logmein to a windows media centre, then VNC to the linux boxs while on the road. Works great, if you can handle the mind-f*ck of typing into your iPhone which is showing you a HTPC showing you a Ubuntu screen.

As for VMs - I had zero success trying VMware and Virtualbox on Windows to run a Linux VM on SR2s - simply can't do 12/24 cores properly. Haven't tried Linux as the underlying os and windows in a VM yet...

What vm software could I use to host a Windows vm?
Posted via Mobile Device

VMWare work just fine on Ubuntu. You shoudl have no issues running a WHS VM in a VMWare virtual machine. You are going to be limited to 8 cores, but even that should be way overkill for a WHS.

Another question.

Will Windows remote desktop be able to remote into a ubuntu box?
Posted via Mobile Device

Windows Remote Desktop and logmein will not work in Linux. VNC does with any of the VNC clients out there. I personally use Nomachine NX if I need a remote GUI (see the extras post for instructions.) Most times, I just use PuTTY and SSH to access the machines remotely with a CLI.

If you need access from outside your LAN, you can forward your SSH port through your router and acess the box through SSH with either PuTTY or Nx. Once you connect to a machine on your network, you can SSH to other machines as needed. If you are going to forward a port through your router, you should probably follow Veeb0rg's guide to changing the port used in the extras post for security reasons/ Some ISPs don't allow incoming traffic on port 22, so changing SSH ports may be necessary anyway.

MIBWs method of using logmein to connect to a Windows box and VNC to connect to the Linux box will also wok fine, although it assumes you have a Windows box running and I can't imagine logmein and VNC would make it very pleasant to use... :)

MIBWs method of using logmein to connect to a Windows box and VNC to connect to the Linux box will also wok fine, although it assumes you have a Windows box running and I can't imagine logmein and VNC would make it very pleasant to use... :)

You know I will go a long way to avoid learning any new CLI skilz :cool:, but it sounds a lot less elegant than it is in practice. Because you zoom and pinch with your fingers you are pretty much cropped in tight and forget you are using a remote window within a remote window. I was amazed. Plus it is already installed and working. The biggest hassle is the iPhone keyboard side of it - 90% of what I need to do is already in the terminal window buffer and hitting the up key and enter repeatedly will do it. Not something the Logmein keyboard is designed for. If it did it often I would be looking at a ssh app.

No tool on earth can automate finishing a unit in Ubuntu on a Sunday night, and reboot into Windows - disabling NUMA and C6 states while doing so. But nobody in [H] would fold in Windows on a weekend and give up 45,000ppd, would they? :p

I reckon we will have this Linux thing absolutely down just in time for Stanford/Gromacs to release a 64bit client for Windows that swings the pendulum back.

Very important, for some reason ext4 takes an hour to write out the files at the end of the wu, ext3 takes a few seconds. Not sure on the ppd hit if you stick with ext4 but i bet its several thousand.

Ext4 is only an issue with mechanical disks. With an inexpensive ssd no issues.

Ext4 is only an issue with mechanical disks. With an inexpensive ssd no issues.

true, but why waste an SSD on a pure folding rig - cheap mechanical HDD's are all over fleabay.

The other point is there should be no issue in the first place

Heh, well then! I reinstalled today - it really only takes about 5-10 minutes to set this all up, which is really nice - and hopefully I'll see a performance boost.

I cashed in a P6900 for about 5k more than what was 'normal' on Windows, but if it was writing to the disk for an hour...that would certainly kill it. I'm looking at about 12-minute TPFs (almost on the nose) for the 6900/6901 WUs, with 24 threads at 3.6GHz.

Ubuntu seems like a really nice OS.

true, but why waste an SSD on a pure folding rig - cheap mechanical HDD's are all over fleabay.

The other point is there should be no issue in the first place

Depends on perspective. I had like ten 80GB and below drives sitting around so it was not much of an issue.

Hmm, I completed one 6901 on ext4 and one on ext3 and the results were nearly identical:

ext4: 119,470
ext3: 119,809

I wonder if I have everything tweaked/setup correctly since similar 6901 WUs would cash in for 115,000~ points on the same setup on Windows 7. I turned NUMA back on when I switched to Ubuntu w/ BFS+Kracken; that was the right call, right?

Hmm, I completed one 6901 on ext4 and one on ext3 and the results were nearly identical:

ext4: 119,470
ext3: 119,809

I wonder if I have everything tweaked/setup correctly since similar 6901 WUs would cash in for 115,000~ points on the same setup on Windows 7. I turned NUMA back on when I switched to Ubuntu w/ BFS+Kracken; that was the right call, right?

yes but if you have an ssd... it seems to not matter if you use ext4...
what is your setup...

yes but if you have an ssd... it seems to not matter if you use ext4...
what is your setup...

It's the second rig in my sig:

- EVGA SR-2
- 2x Intel L5640 @3.6GHz
- 12GB G.Skill 1600MHz (with lowly CAS9 :sadface: ) 9-9-9-24-1T
- 9800GT
- WD Black 640GB
- Corsair AX1200 1200W
- CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000
- Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit

You know I will go a long way to avoid learning any new CLI skilz :cool:, but it sounds a lot less elegant than it is in practice. Because you zoom and pinch with your fingers you are pretty much cropped in tight and forget you are using a remote window within a remote window. I was amazed. Plus it is already installed and working. The biggest hassle is the iPhone keyboard side of it - 90% of what I need to do is already in the terminal window buffer and hitting the up key and enter repeatedly will do it. Not something the Logmein keyboard is designed for. If it did it often I would be looking at a ssh app.

No tool on earth can automate finishing a unit in Ubuntu on a Sunday night, and reboot into Windows - disabling NUMA and C6 states while doing so. But nobody in [H] would fold in Windows on a weekend and give up 45,000ppd, would they? :p

I reckon we will have this Linux thing absolutely down just in time for Stanford/Gromacs to release a 64bit client for Windows that swings the pendulum back.
I like your style.. I used to do the same thing using an android remote desktop app, then used Windows Remote Desktop into my dedicated windows SMP rig. It was laggy even over 3G, but damn if it didn't get the job done. :D

Posting from a laptop now running Ubuntu 11.04 and liking it so far. Decided I would test it out on this laptop before I attempted in on my desktop. I may fold on this thing as well to get some extra points.

Posting from a laptop now running Ubuntu 11.04 and liking it so far. Decided I would test it out on this laptop before I attempted in on my desktop. I may fold on this thing as well to get some extra points.

just remember to use ext3

Yes I did! I followed those pictures. Does ext3 improve performance?

~ sorta... the f@h clients have a bug that has issues with ext4...has this nasty 40min pause at the end of units....

using ext3 skips the pause...

Does the upload/download decoupling by Langouste result in the F@H client reporting that it can't connect to Stanford?

I get this after every completed WU:

Code:
[09:32:35] + Attempting to send results [May 4 09:32:35 UTC]
[09:32:35] - Reading file work/wuresults_00.dat from core
[09:32:35]   (Read 100107078 bytes from disk)
[09:32:35] Connecting to http://130.237.232.237:8080/
[09:32:35] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[09:32:35] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[09:32:35]     (130.237.232.237:8080)
[09:32:35] + Retrying using alternative port
[09:32:35] Connecting to http://130.237.232.237:80/
[09:32:35]     (130.237.232.237:80)
[09:32:35] - Error: Could not transmit unit 00 (completed May 4) to work server.
[09:32:35] - 5 failed uploads of this unit.

It will be well into the next WU and I'll still see attempts to send results to the server and it will say "sent 0 of 1 work units. keeping in queue" (or something like that). Should I be doing something about this?

Does the upload/download decoupling by Langouste result in the F@H client reporting that it can't connect to Stanford?

I get this after every completed WU:

Code:
[09:32:35] + Attempting to send results [May 4 09:32:35 UTC]
[09:32:35] - Reading file work/wuresults_00.dat from core
[09:32:35]   (Read 100107078 bytes from disk)
[09:32:35] Connecting to http://130.237.232.237:8080/
[09:32:35]     (130.237.232.237:8080)
[09:32:35] + Retrying using alternative port
[09:32:35] Connecting to http://130.237.232.237:80/
[09:32:35]     (130.237.232.237:80)
[09:32:35] - Error: Could not transmit unit 00 (completed May 4) to work server.
[09:32:35] - 5 failed uploads of this unit.

It will be well into the next WU and I'll still see attempts to send results to the server and it will say "sent 0 of 1 work units. keeping in queue" (or something like that). Should I be doing something about this?

Nope, that is normal. You will eventually see something like this:
Code:
[04:59:23] Completed 17500 out of 250000 steps  (7%)
[05:07:20] Project: 2686 (Run 3, Clone 17, Gen 93)
[05:07:20] - Error: Could not get length of results file work/wuresults_06.dat
[05:07:20] - Error: Could not read unit 06 file. Removing from queue.
Since the main client is not the one uploading the unit, it doesn't know what is sent and not sent. It eventually tries to upload and finds that the results are gone, which is what this is saying. It is completely normal. As long as you can receive work, langouste is working correctly.

Not to steal thunder but I installed 11.04 today. Three things you want to do upon installation from the terminal are:

sudo apt-get install htop
sudo apt-get install openssh-server
sudo apt-get install screen
  • htop is a better (IMO) version of top, so it is optional but very small.
  • openssh-server is for remote ssh terminal access (which is in musky's guide)
  • screen is not installed apparently by default in 11.04. With screen you can open a ssh session, and in the fah directory type:
screen ./fah6

That command launches the client in a "screen" that can be detached (ctrl+a d) and re-attached using screen -r (no screen number required if only one is running) from remote ssh sessions.

On 11.04: have not figured out stability yet. Will say installation is much faster but unity does not work using server motherboard anemic GPUs :)

One more question:

Should I have NUMA on or off when using the Ubuntu + Kracken wrapper? I had it disabled on Windows but the giant thread had me thinking it should be enabled when using Linux.

One more question:

Should I have NUMA on or off when using the Ubuntu + Kracken wrapper? I had it disabled on Windows but the giant thread had me thinking it should be enabled when using Linux.

numa + windows = bad (windows poorly implements it)
numa + linux = good (it just works ;) )

numa + windows = bad (windows poorly implements it)
numa + linux = good (it just works ;) )

More correctly, NUMA + Linux + Kraken = good, NUMA + Linux = bad. It is the client itself that is not NUMA-aware. The Kraken wrapper makes it at least somewhat NUMA-aware.

On 11.04: have not figured out stability yet. Will say installation is much faster but unity does not work using server motherboard anemic GPUs :)

I have been running the beta of 11.04 on my dell 1735 laptop for a few weeks - (using old UI) as it was the only distro of 5 tried that did not have a weird menu lockout bug.

But 11.04 is barely ready for primetime, buggy as hell until last week. I am struggling to think of any benefit especially when 10.10 is working out pretty well. Keep us posted on if there are any benefits you can see.

I have been running the beta of 11.04 on my dell 1735 laptop for a few weeks - (using old UI) as it was the only distro of 5 tried that did not have a weird menu lockout bug.

But 11.04 is barely ready for primetime, buggy as hell until last week. I am struggling to think of any benefit especially when 10.10 is working out pretty well. Keep us posted on if there are any benefits you can see.

I haven't had any issues with the server board... but it does not use Unity. Only real difference is that, not using unity and using standard server hardware the time between installation and folding is greatly reduced due to updates.

I haven't had any issues with the server board... but it does not use Unity. Only real difference is that, not using unity and using standard server hardware the time between installation and folding is greatly reduced due to updates.

Slaps forehead - of course. The updates after installation takes a while. (a lot quicker once I learnt to set the server to my local ISP mirror)

But there were a lot of non UI bugs until last week, they broke hibernation/suspend on the Dell and a few other things, so there was action at the station.

And even a power consumption issue - wonder if that effects us folding? probably not.

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/04/22/2132251/Linux-Kernel-Suffering-Power-Management-Regression

Am wondering if anyone had issues with VM becoming unstable and crashing the PC at higher clock speeds?
My observation is that i am capable of higher/more stable clocks in a windows environment than i am Ubuntu & VM.
eg my 2600k runs windows 49x100 - VM 47x100
I stick with the ubuntu install because it yields a faster tpf but anything over 4700 causes a system crash
Is there a setting or might something else in my setup be causing a problem

FWIW
Corsair HX650W PSU
MSI P67A-C45
FWIW - 2600k @ 4700 / 1.35V / Corsair H70 high 60's deg C (VM, Ubuntu 10.10 approx 58-59k ppd) - tpf 22:20 P2686
Gigabyte GTX560 Ti @ stock (GPU Tracker 13,500 -16-500)
4Gb G.Skill DDR3 2133 - 9 11 9 26 1T

My opinion is that noting is pushed too far and running very conservatively with regard to speeds/temps/voltage
Any considerations i many need to take into account?

i am going to try linux today. will the desktop version 11.04 64bit work for me? or do i need to find the 10.10 64bit version somewhere?

i am going to try linux today. will the desktop version 11.04 64bit work for me? or do i need to find the 10.10 64bit version somewhere?

The 11.04 will probably work, and might save some time updating after installation, but the 10.10 version is proven to work on SR2s...

I would just follow the guide in the first few posts exactly.

Am wondering if anyone had issues with VM becoming unstable and crashing the PC at higher clock speeds?
My observation is that i am capable of higher/more stable clocks in a windows environment than i am Ubuntu & VM.
eg my 2600k runs windows 49x100 - VM 47x100
I stick with the ubuntu install because it yields a faster tpf but anything over 4700 causes a system crash
Is there a setting or might something else in my setup be causing a problem

Does it crash early in the unit, or when it goes to upload? I was having an issue I thought was the overclock, would BSOD Windows when the VM went to upload.

H.

I have two machines running 11.04 64-bit and it works. One thing you do need to do is sudo apt-get install screen in 11.04 but less updating than 10.10. Also, you want classic desktop not unity as unity is the new desktop that seems to have bugs.

Does BFS have an effect on other applications in ubuntu? I have a low use web server on my x6. I will move it over to BFS, but I dont want it messing everything else up. Also you need ext3 just on the drive you have FAH in or is it / or /tmp that needs ext3?

I got 11.04 installed on the sr-2 finally, but I am getting a lot of problems with my sources.list file and apt in general so I think I am going to reinstall, could have been an unstable OC during the instal. A side not with 11.04, I am not linking the new Unity desktop, I could just be a stick in the mud, but I cant find anything in it.

TIA,Max

Edit: Tobit, does the Zen kernal help improve anything? I think I read on the evga forum that you were running that.

Also you need ext3 just on the drive you have FAH in or is it / or /tmp that needs ext3?

Edit: Tobit, does the Zen kernal help improve anything? I think I read on the evga forum that you were running that.
Just the drive where FAH is located.

I am no longer running the Zen kernel. -ck came out with a kernel source tree for Gentoo so I am now using his kernel patches. There are no differences in TPF with BFS using either the Zen tree or the -ck tree.

On your implementation, there should be no issues using BFS with any other applications.

Is there a trick to getting Ubuntu 11.04 to register correct OC speed on the SR-2. I have 190x 17 + 1 turbo in BIOS but cpuinfo says 2266MHz and CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor for the sys bar says it is 1.6-2.27ghz.

TIA Max

Back