Ubisoft: Why We Love PC

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Ubisoft has rounded up its staff for a video touting the benefits of the PC platform. One point stressed is that the PC leads in innovation and offers the most diversity, whether it be genre or community input, such as mods. Commenters say that Ubisoft should try proving their love with better-optimized ports and losing DRM that is no longer warranted.

looks like the number 1 skill when writing a resume for a job application to ubisoft is that your very first PC game should have been a ubisoft one, the video sounds so authentic.
plus ubisoft never been into PC, and PC gaming became great not thanks to ubisoft but other companies that made it what it is today, to the point that pc game sales surpass all 3 consoles, so ofc ubisoft will be pc gaming, like if you have a choice in the matter...

Retailers should do this "We love PC, because it lets us sell video cards at extortive prices."

To be fair to them. As fucked up as their practices typically are (DRM, bad ports, graphics downgrades) they have fairly consistently offered these things for the past 15 years or so. I mean even PS2/Xbox era they were releasing big titles on PC and Console.

Granted I don’t recall how close or staggered the releases were but it’s better than some publishers.

To be fair to them. As fucked up as their practices typically are (DRM, bad ports, graphics downgrades) they have fairly consistently offered these things for the past 15 years or so. I mean even PS2/Xbox era they were releasing big titles on PC and Console.

Granted I don’t recall how close or staggered the releases were but it’s better than some publishers.
Yeah, no shit, they like making money. More platforms means more sales. They were just quicker on the uptake about that than many other companies in the mid 2000s. I think if Ubisoft hadn't claimed 93-95% of all PC gamers are pirates, lied and then doubled down on claiming they did not downgrade their graphics, have misrepresented their games' graphics on a routine basis, and a leak indicated that they intentionally downgrade PC versions of their games in order to maintain console parity, the opinion of them on the PC would be much better. The point is, they have a history of dishonesty and passive-aggressive resentment towards the PC that they need a lot of time to overcome first to really gain good will from PC gamers. They're not as egregious as a company like Microsoft towards PC gamers, but they're not in a position to expect high fives from them given their history.

Ubisoft has rounded up its staff for a video touting the benefits of the PC platform. One point stressed is that the PC leads in innovation and offers the most diversity, whether it be genre or community input, such as mods. Commenters say that Ubisoft should try proving their love with better-optimized ports and losing DRM that is no longer warranted.

So true. When someone goes overboard to try to show affinity or support for something or someone, you can be sure there is stinking fish somewhere. Ubisoft's position rings very hollow.

I've at least got to hand it to Ubi that they pick interesting settings for their games and usually do their homework when it comes to capturing the atmosphere of those locations in their games.

Of course, this doesn't excuse the technical issues of their games that have already been mentioned, nor the fact that all of them seem to follow the same old gameplay formula.

So if they love the PC, where are all the Linux native itles....oh wait...you love WINDOWS. Got it.

So if they love the PC, where are all the Linux native itles....oh wait...you love WINDOWS. Got it.
At a certain point, you're basically refusing to accept reality. Linux has a lower marketshare than Macs for gaming and Mac gaming has been a joke since... forever. If Linux had 40% or more of the PC gaming market and Ubisoft was refusing to make Linux ports, yeah, that makes them look like the problem. At less than 1% of the gaming market, the burden to run the games on Linux falls on Linux, not the devs.

Yeah, no shit, they like making money. More platforms means more sales. They were just quicker on the uptake about that than many other companies in the mid 2000s. I think if Ubisoft hadn't claimed 93-95% of all PC gamers are pirates, lied and then doubled down on claiming they did not downgrade their graphics, have misrepresented their games' graphics on a routine basis, and a leak indicated that they intentionally downgrade PC versions of their games in order to maintain console parity, the opinion of them on the PC would be much better. The point is, they have a history of dishonesty and passive-aggressive resentment towards the PC that they need a lot of time to overcome first to really gain good will from PC gamers. They're not as egregious as a company like Microsoft towards PC gamers, but they're not in a position to expect high fives from them given their history.
Congrats on missing my point. The things you provided links to are even things I acknowledged. I didn’t say anyone should be patting them on the back. I just said they’ve been consistently bad to the PC market while still releasing their games.

Because while as you condescendingly put it “No shit they like money” so does every other publisher that outright ignored the PC platform for so long, or only released a small handful of their titles.

At a certain point, you're basically refusing to accept reality.

If you missed the explosion Linux hardware and game support over the last couple of years it may be you who has fallen out of touch with reality. Linux has become a viable gaming platform. Pretty much all of my favorite games from the last 5 years have had Linux ports or worked on Linux with minimal effort (like Doom 2016). Kerbal Space Program and all of Paradox Interactive's newer games are on Linux, that's what sealed the deal for me.

Meanwhile the Windows platform is more fragmented than ever because of the lack of a proper successor to Windows 7, most users are still on an 8-year-old OS.

At a certain point, you're basically refusing to accept reality. Linux has a lower marketshare than Macs for gaming and Mac gaming has been a joke since... forever. If Linux had 40% or more of the PC gaming market and Ubisoft was refusing to make Linux ports, yeah, that makes them look like the problem. At less than 1% of the gaming market, the burden to run the games on Linux falls on Linux, not the devs.

Steam says otherwise...I've been playing games on Linux for several years.

If you missed the explosion Linux hardware and game support over the last couple of years it may be you who has fallen out of touch with reality. Linux has become a viable gaming platform. Pretty much all of my favorite games from the last 5 years have had Linux ports or worked on Linux with minimal effort (like Doom 2016). Kerbal Space Program and all of Paradox Interactive's newer games are on Linux, that's what sealed the deal for me.

Meanwhile the Windows platform is more fragmented than ever because of the lack of a proper successor to Windows 7, most users are still on an 8-year-old OS.
Oh there's been many more games on Linux, but it sure as hell hasn't led to an explosion in marketshare. While it saw a small uptick during Valve's big Steam push, if anything, it's dropped for Linux in the past couple years. And yes, Windows has become fragmented because Windows 10 is a dog of an OS. That still leaves Windows 7 with a far greater marketshare and developer support by a few orders of magnitude than Linux has ever seen, and that's from a dying OS and that's even if you don't factor in the Chinese. You're trying to spin this as a positive, but you're basically arguing my point. An 8 year old OS from Microsoft is still better for gaming today than a modern Linux distro is in basically every metric. Compatibility, support, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's a GOOD thing; I don't like it either, I'm just not in denial about the state of Linux for gaming compared to Windows.

Steam says otherwise...I've been playing games on Linux for several years.
Steam says otherwise, how? I'm seeing 98.2% of users on Windows, 1.4% on Mac, and 0.26% on Linux. Where's the marketshare on Linux for a publisher worth billions to take it seriously as a platform it should expand to?

Oh there's been many more games on Linux, but it sure as hell hasn't led to an explosion in marketshare. While it saw a small uptick during Valve's big Steam push, if anything, it's dropped for Linux in the past couple years. And yes, Windows has become fragmented because Windows 10 is a dog of an OS. That still leaves Windows 7 with a far greater marketshare and developer support by a few orders of magnitude than Linux has ever seen, and that's from a dying OS and that's even if you don't factor in the Chinese. You're trying to spin this as a positive, but you're basically arguing my point. An 8 year old OS from Microsoft is still better for gaming today than a modern Linux distro is in basically every metric. Compatibility, support, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's a GOOD thing; I don't like it either, I'm just not in denial about the state of Linux for gaming compared to Windows.

Steam says otherwise, how? I'm seeing 98.2% of users on Windows, 1.4% on Mac, and 0.26% on Linux. Where's the marketshare on Linux for a publisher worth billions to take it seriously as a platform it should expand to?
They are competing with the thousands of games already available for Linux. No Linux = No buy.

No linux = no buy? Would they even notice?
It's your money, and your choice how to spend it. Short of building your own studio/pub house, it is the only vote you have when it comes to games. I could not do no nix = no buy, but I certainly can do Ubi = no buy. And have been for the last few years.

They are competing with the thousands of games already available for Linux. No Linux = No buy.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. Here, look at it this way: The PC accounted for about 18% of Ubisoft's sales in 2017. Now let's look at the Linux marketshare on Steam hovering at around 0.25%. So that means just from marketshare numbers alone:

-About 1 in 5.5 of their customers are on the PC, with that number growing larger.
-About 1 in 400 of their PC customers are on Linux, with that number stagnating or becoming smaller.
-About 1 in 2,200 of their total customer base is on Linux, with that number stagnating or growing smaller.

So from a business perspective, why should they support Linux? Literally over 99% of their PC customers are not using Linux. Is that 1 out of every 2,200 customers worth the extra paperwork, porting expense, support expense, and extra staff to cover it? My guess is the answer is "no." The number of Linux games supported on PC is completely irrelevant to them, that has no impact on their projected sales. However, the number of Linux GAMERS is the number that matters to them, and that number is currently so small it doesn't make business sense for a company their size to support it. On the contrary, they could actually lose money doing it because of support costs.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. Here, look at it this way: The PC accounted for about 18% of Ubisoft's sales in 2017. Now let's look at the Linux marketshare on Steam hovering at around 0.25%. So that means just from marketshare numbers alone:

-About 1 in 5.5 of their customers are on the PC, with that number growing larger.
-About 1 in 400 of their PC customers are on Linux, with that number stagnating or becoming smaller.
-About 1 in 2,200 of their total customer base is on Linux, with that number stagnating or growing smaller.

So from a business perspective, why should they support Linux? Literally over 99% of their PC customers are not using Linux. Is that 1 out of every 2,200 customers worth the extra paperwork, porting expense, support expense, and extra staff to cover it? My guess is the answer is "no." The number of Linux games supported on PC is completely irrelevant to them, that has no impact on their projected sales. However, the number of Linux GAMERS is the number that matters to them, and that number is currently so small it doesn't make business sense for a company their size to support it. On the contrary, they could actually lose money doing it because of support costs.
Sure seems to make business sense for all the companies that are either creating native or porting titles....if Ubisoft can't figure it out that is their issue.

Sure seems to make business sense for all the companies that are either creating native or porting titles....if Ubisoft can't figure it out that is their issue.

Except that most "best selling" AAA titles even in 2017 aren't being ported or have no linux native version.
Assassin's Creed Origins - No
Wolfenstein New Colossus - No
Fifa 18 - No
Total War: Warhammer 2 - No
Destiny 2 - No
XCom2 - Yes
Final Fantasy XV - No
Call of Duty WW2 - No
Ghost Recon: Wildlands - No

Even indie games where you'd expect more Linux support
Cuphead - No

I'm sure that Wine works on some of them, but the average computer user isn't going to play around with Wine to figure it out.

Except that most "best selling" AAA titles even in 2017 aren't being ported or have no linux native version.
Assassin's Creed Origins - No
Wolfenstein New Colossus - No
Fifa 18 - No
Total War: Warhammer 2 - No
Destiny 2 - No
XCom2 - Yes
Final Fantasy XV - No
Call of Duty WW2 - No
Ghost Recon: Wildlands - No

Even indie games where you'd expect more Linux support
Cuphead - No

I'm sure that Wine works on some of them, but the average computer user isn't going to play around with Wine to figure it out.

Here's the problem for a gamers perspective with Linux. This is a count of game titles by platform that have been added to Steam since January 1, 2018:

Windows - 440
macOS - 82
Linux - 51

I know that many Linux fans argue that no one plays all games and that the count of Linux games is more than enough for any gamer. But this argument ignores just how little gaming content comes to Linux. The average person isn't going to spend money on a PC gaming device only to not be able to play the overwhelming majority of games. Yes, one can do PC gaming under Linux but the content gap is simply too large to make Linux interesting for people who are more concerned about playing games than the operating system which I believe is 99% of gamers, even casual ones.

As for Cuphead, I think Microsoft did a deal with the developer StudioMDHR as it is currently a Xbox Play anywhere title only available for Windows and the Xbox One.

Even on platforms that support Linux, it's a small minority of sales. There's a series of self-reported figures from various developers here, it's currently hovering at around 2% of sales, a number that's down from previous years closer to 3-6%. In terms of marketshare (not number of titles supported, those are two different metrics) Linux gaming had its surge during the aftermath of SteamOS, but it's dwindled since then. So if your engine supports porting to Linux easily, then sure, 2% more is 2% with basically no additional support costs, why not port to Linux then? If you're a multi-billion dollar company where that number is going to look more like 0.045% of sales as a best-case scenario with way more overhead costs, then it doesn't make business sense at all.

Games get supported on Linux where it's easy to port to them and the support costs are negligible, and even then the benefits are small. No game company is surviving from Linux sales. It's a tiny bonus at best, an overall loss at worse. Where it lands depends a lot on the company's structure and workflow. For the majority of game companies, it's not worth it and will continue not to be worth it until Linux can get marketshare numbers to make them take notice.

download.gif

This appears to be turning from a "WTF Ubi!" thread into a nix vs ms thread.

But, really, I don't care what Ubi says, I care what they do. What they do is treat PC gamers as second class citizens in the best of times, to thieving peasants at the worst of times. So yeah, fuck Ubi.

So from a business perspective, why should they support Linux?

Well, why has there such an explosion in the number of games available for Linux? Not everything, sure, but there's actually a very large library of good games now. Linux is a decent gaming platform. Why did that happen?

Remember last year when Linux marketshare suddenly jumped up to 6.9% and then got magically revised back down to 2.5-3%? That's a pretty big range of error. I'd be willing to bet that Linux is sitting at around 5-6% right now, continuing it's pattern of doubling every year. It's also notable that any mention of Linux gaming scares the resident Microsoft social media astroturfing team onto alert status.

This appears to be turning from a "WTF Ubi!" thread into a nix vs ms thread.

Maybe. I think we can agree that less DRM and wider platform support is good for gamers and something we'd expect from a company that 'Loves the PC.'

just need more sales like Steam with localized prices.

I don't know if they ever released the stats, but im pretty sure sales in all countries outside of the US shot up when games are priced to local demand.

Most people don't care about the rest since Uplay works fine these days.

To be honest and as shitty as Ubisoft were in the past... they have pulled The Division and Rainbow Six Siege out of the dump with sheer work to the point in which they stand now, which is fairly healthy.

To be honest and as shitty as Ubisoft were in the past... they have pulled The Division and Rainbow Six Siege out of the dump with sheer work to the point in which they stand now, which is fairly healthy.

For Honor...

Back