• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ubisoft launching their own client

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
19,097
Who saw this coming a mile away?

SOURCE

What I find real cute is how in the video it says "you can easily enjoy it (a game) at home, on your holidays, wherever and whenever you want" while showing an animation of a guy on a bus and on the beach. Isn't this false advertising since you need 24/7 Internet connection to play many modern Ubisoft PC games?
 
aslong as they don't pull an EA and not make thier games availiable on steam, more power to them, and i don't care.
 
The UPlay client has been out for something like a month now. It's not new. Anyway it's actually fairly well designed, I like the UI of it.
 
aslong as they don't pull an EA and not make thier games availiable on steam, more power to them, and i don't care.

This. I won't use their client, but they can do whatever they want. If they pull their games from steam, they can get bent.
 
Assasin's Creed is the only Ubisoft franchise I'd consider buying games from. Even then mostly for my girlfriend because she loves them. I couldn't finish the first game.
 
Just great.

Same reaction here. Like I need another goddamn client running.

However, I could see maybe liking this if I could incorporate all my previous non-Steam Ubisoft titles (Splinter Cell games mostly) into it. Of course, I'm sure it'll only take new titles...
 
I think we all knew this is where it was headed and the two big boys on the block were going to emulate Valve.
 
I think we all knew this is where it was headed and the two big boys on the block were going to emulate Valve.

Well ya it makes sense. Why let valve do it. When you can do it for cheaper.

Either way im sick of all these clients.. Steam,Origin,GFWL etc etc. And now uPlay.

If I only had to use one I wouldn't mind. I would probably chose Origin just due to the fact you can run almost every game w/o Origin running.

But what I would really like is. All games to be on GoG.
 
Assasin's Creed is the only Ubisoft franchise I'd consider buying games from. Even then mostly for my girlfriend because she loves them. I couldn't finish the first game.

The first is by far the weakest. Give 2 and Brotherhood a shot.
 
Well ya it makes sense. Why let valve do it. When you can do it for cheaper.

Either way im sick of all these clients.. Steam,Origin,GFWL etc etc. And now uPlay.

If I only had to use one I wouldn't mind. I would probably chose Origin just due to the fact you can run almost every game w/o Origin running.

But what I would really like is. All games to be on GoG.

I have some technical issues with Origin at times, such as the inability to reconnect without a reboot if it loses the connection for any reason. I do like how it manages DLC though. Much better than Steam in that regard. But Steam just WORKS. And I can move stuff around without ever having to reinstall it.
 
And I can move stuff around without ever having to reinstall it.

You can kinda do that with Origin, but whenever you have to reinstall Origin and point it back to the Games folder, it seems to take forever to figure out that the game files are already there.
 
I have some technical issues with Origin at times, such as the inability to reconnect without a reboot if it loses the connection for any reason. I do like how it manages DLC though. Much better than Steam in that regard. But Steam just WORKS. And I can move stuff around without ever having to reinstall it.

I don't have really have any issues with any. I'm just sick of having so many :p I have a feeling AC3 will require uPlay.
 
I don't have really have any issues with any. I'm just sick of having so many :p I have a feeling AC3 will require uPlay.

Of course it will. Splinter Cell Conviction and Driver SF both launch through it.
 
You can kinda do that with Origin, but whenever you have to reinstall Origin and point it back to the Games folder, it seems to take forever to figure out that the game files are already there.

Sometimes it doesn't. It worked for BF3 and ME3, but didn't work for ME2.

I don't have really have any issues with any. I'm just sick of having so many :p I have a feeling AC3 will require uPlay.

I'm betting on that too.
 
I don't have really have any issues with any. I'm just sick of having so many :p I have a feeling AC3 will require uPlay.

It's a given, bought the $10 twin pack of AC & ACII, Uplay got involved as soon as I installed the second game.
 
Who saw this coming a mile away?

SOURCE

What I find real cute is how in the video it says "you can easily enjoy it (a game) at home, on your holidays, wherever and whenever you want" while showing an animation of a guy on a bus and on the beach. Isn't this false advertising since you need 24/7 Internet connection to play many modern Ubisoft PC games?

Maybe he has a 3G/4G card in that laptop or there is wifi on the bus? lol
 
any one trace the app to see what kind of data, if any, it takes from your system and possibly sends to them?
 
Some Ubisoft games already require Uplay to run, even if bought on Steam. I hate it. I was hoping it would stay minimal but now it seems like it will expand into a full of Steam/Origin program.
 
Since most people don't even bother reading FAQS, here goes:

The purchases that you make through the Ubishop online store has a one month download period. If you have exceeded that month you will need to purchase either an Extended Download Service or a Backup Disk.

HAHAHHAAAAAAHHHAHA
 
Since most people don't even bother reading FAQS, here goes:

Since most people don't even bother reading FAQS, here goes:

Quote:
The purchases that you make through the Ubishop online store has a one month download period. If you have exceeded that month you will need to purchase either an Extended Download Service or a Backup Disk.
HAHAHHAAAAAAHHHAHA

HAHAHHAAAAAAHHHAHA

Who's stupid enough to buy a game and then not even bother to download it for a month?
 
Who's stupid enough to buy a game and then not even bother to download it for a month?

Me, with Steam, and all the time.

Also, and this is going to get me a bunch of lovin', I wish Ubisoft would patch in some damn controller support for the mac version of AC2.
 
Who's stupid enough to buy a game and then not even bother to download it for a month?

I have games I've bought on Steam years ago and never downloaded, but there is another big problem with it. What about redownloading games? Ubisoft needs to create their own backend and ditch DigitalRiver or get the same deal EA has. They can't hope to run their own client and only allow people to download a game for a month without forcing people to pay more.
 
I have games I've bought on Steam years ago and never downloaded, but there is another big problem with it. What about redownloading games? Ubisoft needs to create their own backend and ditch DigitalRiver or get the same deal EA has. They can't hope to run their own client and only allow people to download a game for a month without forcing people to pay more.
I am by no means defending Ubisoft here but I don't see why people feel companies must provide lifetime redownloading of software. How many companies replace damaged disc? The old way of doing things is if you broke you CD you lose just like with digitally if you delete it and don't have a backup you lose.
 
I am by no means defending Ubisoft here but I don't see why people feel companies must provide lifetime redownloading of software. How many companies replace damaged disc? The old way of doing things is if you broke you CD you lose just like with digitally if you delete it and don't have a backup you lose.

Because Valve does it. If they want to compete with Steam they need to provide a better experience and give users a reason to support it.
 
I'll never do business with any DD who can't even allow me to download my games at any time without having to pay extra unnecessarily.


I am by no means defending Ubisoft here but I don't see why people feel companies must provide lifetime redownloading of software. How many companies replace damaged disc? The old way of doing things is if you broke you CD you lose just like with digitally if you delete it and don't have a backup you lose.

Well I hope you enjoy the hassle. :p
 
Because Valve does it. If they want to compete with Steam they need to provide a better experience and give users a reason to support it.

This. And so does Origin, Amazon, GoG, GMG and GFWL. It is pretty much the standard in the industry, so why does Ubi think its service can get away with not offering this very basic feature?
 
I hate where this is going. When Origin was (re)launched I posted a picture of a taskbar with a dozen of publisher icons in the system tray... Sounds like it is what's going to happen. I equally dislike having to have an account for each and everything these days. Oh well...
 
You mean this? :cool:

gameclients.png
 
I am by no means defending Ubisoft here but I don't see why people feel companies must provide lifetime redownloading of software. How many companies replace damaged disc? The old way of doing things is if you broke you CD you lose just like with digitally if you delete it and don't have a backup you lose.

Trying to push a new service with negatives associated with physical media without the positives of physical media is stupid. What benefit do you get? Oh that's right the opportunity to give them more money more often.
 
bwahaahahah.... sorry.... <BWAHAHAHAH>

Alright - I'm done. So they want to charge an extra fee to me if I happen to want to format my C drive, or if my games drive suddenly takes a dump? I have plenty of backups, but not many people go out to spend 250 dollars for a 3TB dedicated USB hard drive just to backup their vast game collection. The game in question you are trying to download "after a whole month" is going to still be online, it has to be if they are still selling it... do they really think nickle and diming someone for a few GB of bandwidth is going to pan out in the long run? What would you estimate the out of pocket cost is for a company like steam or ubisoft to upload 5GB to you? We are talking fractions of a penny here. I've re-downloaded my steam library a few times out of necessity and steam isn't hurting for cash.

And I flat refuse to install any more game launcher or e-stores specific to a publisher. Steam is golden, Origin gets a pass only because they have BF3, everyone else though? HAH I may have 16GB of ram, but my task bar isn't some shelter for vagrant programs that only get used once a week.
 
To motivate gamers into having a look at the new and improved uPlay client, Ubisoft's plan is to bribe you with cheap games. This week, they're offering a series of $1 deals through the service's store: Tom Clancy's HAWX 2 today, From Dust on Friday, Silent Hunter 5 on Saturday, and Driver: San Francisco on Sunday.
I don't think I'd be willing to pay $1 for any of those games. What does that say about Ubisoft games?

I am by no means defending Ubisoft here but I don't see why people feel companies must provide lifetime redownloading of software.
Because some companies value their customers and wish to provide them with valuable services.

How many companies replace damaged disc?
All of them, for a nominal fee.
 
I am by no means defending Ubisoft here but I don't see why people feel companies must provide lifetime redownloading of software. How many companies replace damaged disc? The old way of doing things is if you broke you CD you lose just like with digitally if you delete it and don't have a backup you lose.

Well if you are leasing the game, then that's fine. They better not charge $60 a pop for games anymore if that's the case.

All of them replace damaged disc, but it wont cost you the same as buying the game again.
 
Back
Top