Ubisoft Games Will Require Constant Internet Connection

I'm curios to found out who won the day. Ubisoft or gamers. A lot of people bit for the game anyways. We find out when the quarter ends?

I'm curios to found out who won the day. Ubisoft or gamers. A lot of people bit for the game anyways. We find out when the quarter ends?

Probably won't find out till the Q4 release and that will include SH5, AC2, Settlers 7, and SC:Conviction. But all of those games are high profile games so if their profits are below a certain margin you'll know they tanked in the PC category. Most e-tailers have the PC versions at one star or less, which has to have a lot of affect on random purchasers.

But I agree, this topic needs to die. By now we all know exactly where everyone stands on it and everyone has pretty much said what they have to say.

I'm pretty disappointed with the number of people who brought AC2 despite the DRM on forums... its giving the green flag to other publishers to put in restrictive DRM and overpriced games.

I'm pretty disappointed with the number of people who brought AC2 despite the DRM on forums... its giving the green flag to other publishers to put in restrictive DRM and overpriced games.

Seems like it although we really have no idea how this game has actually sold on the PC and what the figures are.

Past that, how do we know where the "magic number" is that determines success or failure?

Forums like these are a very small represenative of all the people that are out there.

When you go to Amazon, for example, and look up AC 2 PC...that's like Spore all over again. TONS of 1 star reviews and just a complete burial. Same at Newegg. Same at any other outlet that sells games and lets people post reviews and comments.

You'll see the likes of that again next month when the new Splinter Cell game comes out at the end of April and you'll continue to see that and all that goes with it as long as this kind of DRM is in play.

I'm betting AC2 sold "ok" on the PC but not nearly as well as it might have were it not for this abhorrent DRM.

It doesn't help some of these games when they come out on the PC "way after the fact."

The vast bulk of gamers that really wanted to play AC2 bought it on the consoles at the end of last year when it first came out.

So all of these things are factors in play.

There's no question in my mind that Ubisoft lost out on some legit sales of AC2 on the PC because of that DRM and some brand new pirates got added to the scene that maybe have never gone that route before.

I've seen examples of those people all over the Internet: People that were always legit and just finally said the hell with it in the face of this. I've been tempted myself, quite frankly, but I just can't make myself do it. I refuse to be an active part of the problem so I'll simply stand down and bide my time while I play other games.

^^
That's what this kind of DRM does.

And this cycle of doom will simply continue as long as you have the hackers doing their thing and then the publishers like Ubisoft overreacting in the wrong direction to the core problem.

Losers: Legit end users. No denying that fact.

And it's just a matter of time before this wave hits the consoles unless it gets put down relatively soon here on the PC.

I feel the same way! It certainly isn't easy.

For a non-game item I've been interested in, I hear voices in my head saying, "they charge way too much." With AC2, fortunately I'm not as drawn as some people. Otherwise the rationalizing voices would also be telling me how dumb this DRM is.... "give in to the dark side.... quick and easy." lol

Pirates will offer a better version of ubisoft games, an actual offline version, the catch? Even people who bought the game will have an incentive to pirate the game and just use ubisoft's online system to play multiplayer.

Did they mention you can download their games online? If not they're still behind steam by miles.

I've seen examples of those people all over the Internet: People that were always legit and just finally said the hell with it in the face of this. I've been tempted myself, quite frankly, but I just can't make myself do it. I refuse to be an active part of the problem so I'll simply stand down and bide my time while I play other games.

same here. I almost caved, but since I got into metro and a few other titles for my Wii, I really don't give a rats ass anymore. I really wanted to check it out, but shit happens.

It's their loss :)

There's no question in my mind that Ubisoft lost out on some legit sales of AC2 on the PC because of that DRM and some brand new pirates got added to the scene that maybe have never gone that route before.

I just hope enough people didn't buy it to send Ubisoft a message. Hence why I am disappointed by the number of people I've seen cave in and buy it. It'll be like MW2 again, heaps of people bitch and moan over the lack of features and high price on PC, but its all for nought if the game sells brilliantly despite that. Its just giving publishers the thought that they can give gamers a kick in the balls without reprisal.

The whole MW2 boycott was dumb (in comparison) though. Yeah, it didn't have dedicated servers but the game was decent and the developers didn't treat their customers like criminals. I could give a rats ass about the pricetag thing, console gamers have been paying those prices for years. Yeah, cheaper is better, but I'm not going to try and make a point over a measly $10.00 :D

Ubisoft has sent an email to all owners of Assassin's Creed 2 and Silent Hunter 5 providing compensation for earlier outages of their DRM servers caused by DDOS attacks. Depending on the edition you purchased, the compensation ranges from free additional content to a free game such as HAWX or Prince of Persia.

Forums like these are a very small representative of all the people that are out there.

When you go to Amazon, for example, and look up AC 2 PC...that's like Spore all over again. TONS of 1 star reviews and just a complete burial. Same at Newegg. Same at any other outlet that sells games and lets people post reviews and comments.

Indeed. The huge majority of copies sold are people walking into Wal Mart and saying "This box has pretty colors!" BUY BUY BUY

Ubisoft has sent an email to all owners of Assassin's Creed 2 and Silent Hunter 5 providing compensation for earlier outages of their DRM servers caused by DDOS attacks. Depending on the edition you purchased, the compensation ranges from free additional content to a free game such as HAWX or Prince of Persia.

The only compensation they should be handing out is getting rid of this horrible DRM scheme that's been cracked at least to a point that headaches are guaranteed from here on out.

And no, I can't cite sources or proof because I would violate forum rules. It's out there. Trust me. You can look it up and find it pretty fast.

Just wait until Splinter Cell comes out in late April and we get to start this cycle all over again. That's another big game a lot of people want.

Oh yeah, this is going to be fun to watch.

Will we get free games every time the servers go down? Could get expensive.

same here. I almost caved, but since I got into metro and a few other titles for my Wii, I really don't give a rats ass anymore. I really wanted to check it out, but shit happens.

It's their loss :)

Yeah... me too, I so want Settlers 7 (as I got AC2 on Xbox) or try the SH5. But hell with it, there are so many better games on the market. I'm not going to let the Ubi dictate me that I can't play singleplayer without internet connection.

My wife threatened murder if I didnt buy her Settlers 7 so I got overruled. No problems yet. We're in Belgium right now and she's been playing the last couple days with 0 problems.

Well looks like Ubi's DRM has screwed Australian buyers of settlers 7 who have been unable to play their purchased game for the last 5 days or so.

Of course Wabe will still continue to bury his head in the sandy bliss of ignorance and self righteousness unless he is personally afflicted by the problem.

http://kotaku.com/5506062/ubisofts-drm-kicks-australia-while-its-down

Something like this was bound to happen. I wasn't expecting complete failure, but at some stage there was going to some wide scale problems with it.

Australia always gets fucked over when it comes to games (or technology in general), now its Ubisoft fucking us over too... yay.

Something like this was bound to happen. I wasn't expecting complete failure, but at some stage there was going to some wide scale problems with it.

Good.

Australia always gets fucked over when it comes to games (or technology in general), now its Ubisoft fucking us over too... yay.

This is the part I feel bad about. The vicious cycle is: Pirates start, developers overreact in the wrong direction, legit end users feel it.

I just wonder by now what the chatter behind close doors at Ubisoft is between the idiots that greenlighted this hideous idea to begin with?

They should have been laughed out of the boardroom when it was suggested.

They should all be fired by now and Ubisoft should just get rid of this crap and go to CD check, Steam, or some setup like that.

Enough of the nonsense. My wallet is STILL ready to be popped open for AC2 on the PC the SECOND this crap is removed. I don't care about the price, either.

Enough of the nonsense. My wallet is STILL ready to be popped open for AC2 on the PC the SECOND this crap is removed. I don't care about the price, either.
Ditto, I'd pay full price just to reward them for getting rid of this stupid DRM.

Even without the DRM I'd say its not worth $60. Its a great game and all, but doesn't hit what I'd consider to be $60 worth of value. I doubt I'll replay it once I finish it so with or without DRM the $35 I paid for it was perfect. Good value for a game I'll likely never replay, or at least not for a few years.

Even without the DRM I'd say its not worth $60. Its a great game and all, but doesn't hit what I'd consider to be $60 worth of value. I doubt I'll replay it once I finish it so with or without DRM the $35 I paid for it was perfect. Good value for a game I'll likely never replay, or at least not for a few years.

Agreed

I paid $32 (tax included) I also shelled out for the DLC because I liked the game that much (first time buying DLC for anything besides Guitar Hero)

I feel it's really worth about $40 for the experience you get.

$30 is a bargain, no doubt

$60 isn't a rip off but it's pushing it

i think about $40 is right for what you get, its a great experience from start to finish.

Agreed

I paid $32 (tax included) I also shelled out for the DLC because I liked the game that much (first time buying DLC for anything besides Guitar Hero)

I feel it's really worth about $40 for the experience you get.

$30 is a bargain, no doubt

$60 isn't a rip off but it's pushing it

i think about $40 is right for what you get, its a great experience from start to finish.

How is the DLC? I'm working on chapter 11 now. Well sorta. Started playing Just Cause 2 last night and that has taken over AC2's game time I think.

I receive my free additional in-game content from Ubisoft I'm so happy.:)

aaa-2.jpg

So what are they doing for people who paid more for the special versions and already have that stuff? I would be MIGHTY pissed off if I paid more for the special edition of the game and then they turn around, give all that to everyone, and dont do anything for me.

So what are they doing for people who paid more for the special versions and already have that stuff? I would be MIGHTY pissed off if I paid more for the special edition of the game and then they turn around, give all that to everyone, and dont do anything for me.
Those people were getting free games instead.

Just got an email about the free stuff. Not that this laptop can play the game most likely. Haven't been brave enough to try.

So the cost of this new 'anti-piracy' DRM to Ubisoft is a very real loss in potential income? Something tells me that somewhere, some Ubisoft CEO isn't very happy, let alone the stockholders breathing down his neck.

So when is Ubisoft going to remove the DRM? I believe I remember them saying they would remove it if it ever got bypassed. Well I was over at my friends tonight and he's got a working cracked game.

Let's see them pony up.

yeah, I believe that it's fully cracked now, but I haven't really been following it either.

I'd like to see sales figures for these games (silent hunter and AC2) on PC. I also wonder how well SC will sell. I had a lot of problems with double agent ( certain levels were buggy as hell)

There's is no scene crack yet, but yes there are several ways to play the full game using various tricks, it's similar the splinter cell game a few years back which used a rootkit version of starforce, it was playable fairly quickly after launch using various methods but no official scene crack was available for about 6 months.

So the servers are down and you can't play the game. To remedy the situation, they give you free content, to a game, that you can't play, cause the servers are down. lol.

So, are the DDOS attacks still happening to their servers?

So the servers are down and you can't play the game. To remedy the situation, they give you free content, to a game, that you can't play, cause the servers are down. lol.

Pretty much.

So, are the DDOS attacks still happening to their servers?

Yes.

And if you use a search engine with certain key terms...yes it's been fully cracked for all intents and purposes. I've seen it with my own eyes. No, I haven't done it or used it myself although frankly, I'm tempted to at this point.

And with each new game that comes out with this crap on it, it's only going to get worse since everyone's familiar with the system and how to wreck it.

That's all there is to it. It's done.

So Ubisoft is needlessly losing their ass on this failed, Draconian DRM. How much more R&D, money, and manpower are they going to waste trying to keep this rubbish up and running and especially when it's been cracked anyways? When do the shareholders get pissed?

Time to return to reality.

I was hoping that after Assassin's Creed 2, they'd just pull the DRM off Splinter Cell: Conviction, but doesn't look like that'll happen. I'll see if the reviews are good and just get the cracked version. If Ubisoft wants my money, they'd be best to just take the DRM off.

I'm not going to bother buying these types of DRM schemes.

I was hoping that after Assassin's Creed 2, they'd just pull the DRM off Splinter Cell: Conviction, but doesn't look like that'll happen. I'll see if the reviews are good and just get the cracked version. If Ubisoft wants my money, they'd be best to just take the DRM off.

I honestly don't blame people at this point for this kind of response even though I don't advocate it.

Piracy is the root problem but the cycle is vicious when pubishers overreact in the wrong direction which is what this kind of DRM is.

Presuming everyone is guilty right off the bat and is your enemy is a terrible business model but that's essentially what Ubisoft has done.

There's no way they haven't lost significant money on both lost sales and the cost of maintaining this rubbish.

Being a legit end user with Ubisoft is completely pointless. Message received.

I'm not going to bother buying these types of DRM schemes.

Neither will I. Ever.

What really annoys me is that Splinter cell was one of my favorite franchises.

What really annoys me is that Splinter cell was one of my favorite franchises.

If it makes you feel any better (probably not if you're like me)...this game is essentially Splinter Cell in just name only and not much else anyways.

Back