• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ubisoft Games Will Require Constant Internet Connection

I have 4-5 PCs in my house. Only my two laptops are always connected to the internet. I have a wireless lan USB stick and use it to some times connect my pc that is connected to my main TV, other than that, I game most of the time on a PC that is not connected to the internet.

Anyway, I do not believe ubisoft will actually do that, or they will and then take it back. If not, two solutions.

Buy game, crack game.

Don't buy game.
 
My internet connection is usually rock solid, however its been known to be flaky at times. It would piss me off pretty badly to have a game just pause on me right in the middle of doing something because my internet went out.
 
...It's a potential security risk. Even if that's the sole reason why we wouldn't want it, that's a legitimate reason and thus a legitimate complaint against the system.

Agreed, one of my main bugbears.
You arent allowed to lock your own system down to play a game?
Thats only one problem I have with this DRM and its a showstopper.
I wont be buying this game unless a 'patch' comes out.
 
so if you buy through Steam do you have to use this Ubisoft nonsense too? honestly I think after I play the last STALKER game that I am going to make the move to consoles. there will likely be no more pc exclusives anyway. the only thing I hate about consoles is the ridiculous prices of the games. well some pc games are going to 60 bucks too but they will be in the $20-$30 range within a year unlike most console game.
 
lol, yea, this will work like the past 25 attempts at copy protection has worked.

all this does is make people want to pirate the game, because it's easier than jumping through hoops to get the game going.

I don't think any of the self-entitled assholes ruining pc gaming need another reason to pirate then what they already want to do.
 
yeah its pretty ironic that people will use this as an excuse to pirate when it was piracy that brought on the problem in the first place. assholes that steal will never understand or care how they fuck up things for everybody else. it seems we have an entire generation that doesnt think twice about pirating music, games or other software. the other day I heard some guy bragging about how many games he has pirated and I had to walk away just so I didnt hurt him
 
Wow. I usually play single player games when my internet is down. Guess I'm not buying any more Ubisoft games. Well, I guess Far Cry 2 sealed that deal a year or two ago.
 
If they want people to buy Assassins Creed 2 for PC after it's been out for 5 months, it will change.
 
If this is implemented I wont be buying Ubisoft games anymore, at least not for PC. Seriously, companies shoot their PC departments in the foot then whinge about not getting enough sales due to pirates when the DRM doesn't even hurt the pirates.
 
Wow. I usually play single player games when my internet is down. Guess I'm not buying any more Ubisoft games. Well, I guess Far Cry 2 sealed that deal a year or two ago.

Same here.

I spent 90% of my time gaming online. If my net is down thats why I load up the single player stuff. Hell, I bought Fallout 3 the week it was released, and didn't play it until my net died for a week about 9 months later (great game btw).

I''d be more upset if Ubisoft actually released any decent games. Splinter Cell was fun, but I can live without easily.

I still think its completely funny how the #1 money making PC game has 0 DRM and is an MMORPG. (before some ignorant people flame, there are COUNTLESS private Wow servers where you can play for free and they are consistantly updated). I guess it holds true, make a good product, and people will pay. $150 Million a month isn't too shabby for a game with 0 DRM.
 
Same here.

I spent 90% of my time gaming online. If my net is down thats why I load up the single player stuff. Hell, I bought Fallout 3 the week it was released, and didn't play it until my net died for a week about 9 months later (great game btw).

I''d be more upset if Ubisoft actually released any decent games. Splinter Cell was fun, but I can live without easily.

I still think its completely funny how the #1 money making PC game has 0 DRM and is an MMORPG. (before some ignorant people flame, there are COUNTLESS private Wow servers where you can play for free and they are consistantly updated). I guess it holds true, make a good product, and people will pay. $150 Million a month isn't too shabby for a game with 0 DRM.

Dude your missing the whole point. You can't bring any paying MMO into this at all, because they make ALL their money from the monthly subscription cost. They don't make their money from CD sells.

Game developers like Ubisoft, Bioware, EA, etc etc. Make their money from selling the ACTUAL game. There's no monthly cost to playing DAO or AC2.

So saying WoW sells better is a joke.
 
Dude your missing the whole point. You can't bring any paying MMO into this at all, because they make ALL their money from the monthly subscription cost. They don't make their money from CD sells.

Game developers like Ubisoft, Bioware, EA, etc etc. Make their money from selling the ACTUAL game. There's no monthly cost to playing DAO or AC2.

So saying WoW sells better is a joke.

I guess you haven't seen all the Mini-DLC and everything else they are trying to sell you. And the point is still valid. People could choose to pirate Wow, they dont.
 
I guess you haven't seen all the Mini-DLC and everything else they are trying to sell you. And the point is still valid. People could choose to pirate Wow, they dont.

Exactly they aren't selling a physical/downloadable copy of the actual game. There is no way Blizzard could be making $150mil a month off of cd game sells. It just won't happen.
 
Ahh, didn't answer the question! I simply want to know how many people are playing games, ESPECIALLY on a desktop that isn't connected to the NET.

Security risk? That's not a reason, that's an excuse. Sure, being always connected another is something else to deal with but making sound onerous when 99% of computers playing games out there are connected to the net is just not being honest.

That may be true in the US and parts of Europe. Many other parts of the world have very unreliable internet. I live in a shared house in Australia and we often go over our cap half way through the month. That means the 2nd half of the month the 'net is so slow you can barely check emails. When this happens I usually just flick steam to offline mode as it can sometimes be an issue just connecting to steam.

People just don't ANY type of copy protection, even if it will never affected them or have requirements that everyone meets any way.

Of course people dont want any copy protection, however at the very least we want reasonable copy protection. I'm more than happy to have simply CD/DVD checks like Oblivion had. This will deter casual sharing of games between friends. However, any more DRM than that I just see as pointless and hurting the paying customer, because 99% of the time the game gets pirated despite the DRM so the pirates smart enough to go download a torrent can still do that regardless of the DRM you have in place.

The only thing DRM can stop is the casual sharing of games between friends (the 1 person buying and 5 people playing it thing), and as such DRM should be aimed at that. Not coming up with some intrusive systems like having to be always connected to the internet, which at the end of the day wont stop any more pirates than a simple CD/DVD check.
 
yeah its pretty ironic that people will use this as an excuse to pirate when it was piracy that brought on the problem in the first place. assholes that steal will never understand or care how they fuck up things for everybody else.

Except that piracy isn't the reason for the DRM problem. The gaming industry can't possibly believe that they can make pirates pay. You can't have a zero success rate for 25 years and not get the message. This is anti-used-game-sale, or more specifically, anti-Gamestop.
 
Ubisoft is also the developer who took a no CD crack from a popular hacking group "RELOADED" and used it in their no CD patch for R6V2.
 
Ubisoft is also the developer who took a no CD crack from a popular hacking group "RELOADED" and used it in their no CD patch for R6V2.

I don't think No CD cracks are 'against the rules' so long as you own the game. I use them for almost all of my games because having to switch DVD's is really annoying. And yes I buy all my games.
 
I don't think No CD cracks are 'against the rules' so long as you own the game. I use them for almost all of my games because having to switch DVD's is really annoying. And yes I buy all my games.

Actually, if you live in the USA, they are a violation of the DMCA.
 
This is just another form of DRM that cripples the people who actually pay for the game. Now people who pirate and buy the game will both have to crack it. I know pretty much everyone has internet and everything but if your internet goes out or you have to go without it for a while it's pretty shitty to not be able to play your fucking single player game.

It's just this simple.


This is what I meant earlier in the thread when I said that UbiSoft should just end the pretense, skip these last few steps, and admit what's painfully obvious at least to me: They simply don't want to be bothered with the PC.

That's what these kinds of blatant self sabotage and self defeating steps tell me when I see them from any developer or publisher.
 
This is legitimate and why there needs to be an offline system. Still the vast majority of gamers simply won't be affected by this.

How about when my internet goes down in the middle of a game? Why should I have to put up with that? I know enough to download a cracked exe for a game like this, so I never would, but it's not like Ubisoft supports that.

It doesn't matter how unlikely it might be, the fact is that if I pirate the game instead I never have to deal with that kind of problem. So what is Ubisoft telling me? If I want to play the good version, don't buy their stuff?
 
I wouldn't complain if you could activate online or via CD check. I would authenticate online, then when the internet is down I would pop in the CD.

Online saves... no.
 
I guess this is what happens when the marketing drones run a company instead of the competent developers and engineers. Cue retarded 'anti-piracy' idea #234,208.

My game development company won't release any of our games with DRM because it's been made more than clear over the past decades that it serves no purpose other than to harm one's own sales by making the software work less well for legitimate customers.

Unless we're talking about online play, any kind of verification is just silly and counter-productive.
 
Sounds like what Novalogic did 10 years ago with Land Warrior...They just made you register an account, Tied the key to your account and you had to login or else you couldn't play where everyone else was playing...worked quite well

Does sound a bit different
 
Seriously, the stolen software is easier to use than the legitimate software.

It really is sometimes.

No, I don't do it myself but I see enough feedback out there that it's pretty plainly obvious and infuriating at times when I see pirates having a lot less headaches and stupidity to deal with then "suckers" that actually legitimately buy something.

That's just not right.

Again, we're back to my "deliberate self sabotage" motif.
 
Seriously, the stolen software is easier to use than the legitimate software.

Yup as long as it's been cracked by a proper scene group.

Developers have been caught in the past handing out scene cracked executables as fixes for their games when copy proteciton goes awry, I guess they forgot to take the groups signiture out which they hide in the executable :)
 
So, $60 rental is the wave of the future. Even though we plunk down the money, we still "own" nothing except the privilege of playing at the publisher's convenience. I like that, sounds like a real winner.

What a great time to be an IP attorney.
 
Except that piracy isn't the reason for the DRM problem. The gaming industry can't possibly believe that they can make pirates pay. You can't have a zero success rate for 25 years and not get the message. This is anti-used-game-sale, or more specifically, anti-Gamestop.

Sadly the truth is that - it is for anti piracy and it does do a large part of what they need it to.
What they are after is a Window of time when the game is released that makes it very difficult to copy, so it forces larger sales from those that must have it.
The release of a game is when there is the most hype and to miss out on strong sales at this time is a big loss.
DRM does prevent many types of copying it but doesnt stop cracked copies appearing on the internet.
Also, they are forced to take a stance against piracy and as long as being monitored and perhaps getting caught puts the willies up people, they will feel they have achieved at least part of their goal.
I used to help develop earlier versions of said DRM before I knew of its perils, no more though.

I don't think No CD cracks are 'against the rules' so long as you own the game. I use them for almost all of my games because having to switch DVD's is really annoying. And yes I buy all my games.

I follow the same principle.
They have gone way too far.
 
b.) they're offering compromises with things like unlimited installs and remotely saved games which is a decent trade off... I M O.

c.) We play games like this already - this isn't something new.

How is remotely saved games a decent trade off? How is requiring a constant internet connection to play something we do already? There was a big uproar when EA proposed this for Mass Effect and Spore, which are largely single player games. EA thankfully relented and offered online activation, install limits, but no cd check. They may have even gotten a revoke tool for the installs, and I guess you can get more if you call. That is somewhat of a compromise, this is not.

Honestly, who here is playing a high end game on a computer NOT connected to the Internet? All I see here is belly aching over nothing.

My gaming computer isn't connected to the internet when the internet goes down or if there is a major storm. The fact of the matter is that there is a pretty good chance my internet will go out sometime while I am playing the game, at which point the game "pauses" until my internet comes back up. Which is ludicrous since I have no control over when my internet goes down.
 
steam lets you play single player games without internet though... so im not sure how it compares

obviously MP you need a connection
 
Seriously, the stolen software is easier to use than the legitimate software.
Buying Ubisoft Pc Games is easier to install than the piracy software.I support Ubisoft Require Constant Internet Connection.
P1010745.jpg
 
It's happening more and more with many companies. Why care about making PC games when they will be heavily pirated and instead make them on consoles were they will make loads more money.

Let them, and once all the people move to console, they will become more easily modded and get pirated to all heck, just as the Wii and 360 already do.... then where will they go...
 
Buying Ubisoft Pc Games is easier to install than the piracy software.I support Ubisoft Require Constant Internet Connection.
P1010745.jpg

You clearly dont download the good releases then, stop getting bad rips..lol

pirated versions are usually easier, and cleaner, less "DRM" crap gets installed.
 
Sadly the truth is that - it is for anti piracy and it does do a large part of what they need it to.
What they are after is a Window of time when the game is released that makes it very difficult to copy, so it forces larger sales from those that must have it.
The release of a game is when there is the most hype and to miss out on strong sales at this time is a big loss.
DRM does prevent many types of copying it but doesnt stop cracked copies appearing on the internet.
Also, they are forced to take a stance against piracy and as long as being monitored and perhaps getting caught puts the willies up people, they will feel they have achieved at least part of their goal.

They say that, but in most cases hot games are available at the same time or even before the retail release date. So I don't really buy the argument that they are trying to prevent zero-day pirating. Fact is that people are either going to pirate games or they aren't, and if they are then almost no amount of DRM is going to stop them.
 
Back
Top