Ubi DRM: Their side of the story

Status
Not open for further replies.
But exactly 'how' are you being 'punished'?

I haven't once been kicked out of Rise Of Flight. It's a total non-issue. You have an internet connection. You log in. You play your game. That's it.

I would bet money that next month I'll be playing AC2 on day one before the pirates do, that for the month it will take me to complete AC 2 I won't ever have a problem connecting to Ubisoft's website, and that, in the end, Ubisoft will sell more than 40,000 copies of AC 2, meaning their scheme will have worked out for them.

I just don't see how I'm being 'punished' here?

What I'm far more worried about is Ubisoft getting screwed again, and saying, that's it, we're not going to support the PC anymore. Why can't people understand this? Ah, I see why - because as I argued above, the vast majority of these people are pirates themselves.

You just don't get it. This kind of DRM is a double edged sword of self sabotage set to happen.

The pirates will be the pirates. We all know what that's about and I agree with you on that part of it.

The legit end users are also going to get hit. There will be hiccups. There will be screw ups and your "let them eat cake" - get better Internet isn't the answer, either.

You laughed because a game was heavily pirated? - how incredibly ignorant you are.

When are you people going to learn that the ones doing the most damage to our hobby aren't the gaming companies.

Folks, it's the pirates.

We wouldn't have to put up with any DRM at all if people simply paid for their games. It's the pirates, the pirates, the pirates.

It's the people like this guy, above, who do the most damage to our hobby. Yeah, that's incredibly funny, isn't it - a game being pirated. Your attitude completely sucks. I hope that somebody shows up at your workplace and steals from you - then maybe you'll get it.
lol, you're dense. all this drm affects only the legit end user, crackers will always find a way around drm, they are smarter and better coders than large corporations/governments.

just ignore him, he's just trolling for answers, if you read all his posts they are basically the same thing, it's almost like he likes repeating himself

just ignore him, he's just trolling for answers, if you read all his posts they are basically the same thing, it's almost like he likes repeating himself

I've tried, probably too much, to have a real conversation out of all this but I can see it's going nowhere.

For the record.. i'm not a software pirate. I buy my games. However I know for a fact this wont stop anyone from pirating anything. They are just dicking the honest people!

You really shouldn't make blanket accusations like calling everyone who doesn't enjoy intrusive drm a pirate. I reformat my computer roughly once every three months due to hardware changes.

I never said that every person who objects to Ubisoft's new scheme is a pirate.

What I said was, let's look at the numbers.

The numbers show us that for every 1 person who bought the original Assassin's Creed during the first month there were 17 people who pirated the game. Logically, it's completely fair to assume that this ratio would carry over into a public forum in which people are debating the merits of DRM.

You don't have to be a genius to realize that most of the people responding in this very thread pirate games, and were going to pirate AC 2 - why do you think so many of them are so angry?

They are so angry because if there is one thing you can do to make a paying customer irate, it's treat them like they've stolen something.

Your ignorance of this simple fact of human behavior suggests your thinking is more in line with a corporate shill for ubisoft, than anyone else's thinking in this thread is in line with your typical software pirate.

Why? BECAUSE PIRATES DO NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THIS DRM. One of the major scene groups will crack it, and people who steal thier games won't have to worry about it.

Only those of us who buy thier games, and still put up with this crap will be impeded by it.

This is the main reason I now buy games almost exclusively through steam and not direct2drive. Because if I need a key unlocked, steam is behind me on it. I had to buy the witcher twice, mass effect twice.

Most people would just steal the games after that, I didn't, but I'll be damned if I didn't think about it.

They are so angry because if there is one thing you can do to make a paying customer irate, it's treat them like they've stolen something.

Your ignorance of this simple fact of human behavior suggests your thinking is more in line with a corporate shill for ubisoft, than anyone else's thinking in this thread is in line with your typical software pirate.

Why? BECAUSE PIRATES DO NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THIS DRM. One of the major scene groups will crack it, and people who steal thier games won't have to worry about it.

Only those of us who buy thier games, and still put up with this crap will be impeded by it.

^^
This can't be a difficult concept to grasp, Wabe.

In a sea of repeat posts from everyone else - what else can I do but repeat myself?

Wow, is it really so surprising that somebody actually disagrees with you, and is debating you by responding to you posts?

The troll argument is just downright old! A troll is somebody who attempts to promote discord for the sake of stirring up trouble. That's what a troll is.

I couldn't care less what you think about me personally, but know this: I'm passionate about my hobby, and happen to believe that Ubisoft needs to fight back. I'm stating an opinion here. Do you seriously believe that I'm sitting here at my computer with a great grin on my face, happy to have found a forum in which I've finally been able to stir up some trouble.

God that's just lame. Totally lame. Seriously, the troll argument just needs to be put to rest.

Jeff Green, the former editor-in-chief of Computer Gaming World/GFW, said that he had participated in a focus group with four of his readers, and was informed before the meeting that for his demographic - i.e. gamers - 96% of them were connected to the internet on high speed.
And 0% of those are connected 100% of the time. I.E. connection issues hit everyone at some point. I have family and friends that live in areas where the only option they have for high speed internet is satellite. Guess what happens every time a storm comes through? Even a rainy day can cause a barrage of connection problems. What do you suppose gamers do when the weather keeps them inside?

How about soldiers who are deployed or stationed overseas? Internet connections tend to be pretty unreliable from any barracks room, especially overseas in Germany or Korea. How about the people on deployment? Most of them have laptops these days but internet connections are iffy at best when they're available. Playing spades during downtime gets old quick when you have a laptop and some decent games to play. Guess those guys are pretty well screwed now if they want to play a current Ubisoft game. I'm an Army veteran of 14 years myself and I can tell you, I don't think I'd want to cut out a market segment packed full of people that are earning lots of money with not much to spend it on and have nothing much to do with their downtime. But that's just me.

There's truth to this. But if it were the property of these irate customers that was being stolen they'd be even more irate.

I couldn't care less what you think about me personally, but know this: I'm passionate about my hobby, and happen to believe that Ubisoft needs to fight back.

I think a good number of people agree with you on this. I do. I think all the developers need to protect themselves and I'm all for that.

What a good number of us don't agree with you on is the METHOD Ubisoft has chosen with this particular kind of DRM.

That's all. :)

And 0% of those are connected 100% of the time. I.E. connection issues hit everyone at some point. I have family and friends that live in areas where the only option they have for high speed internet is satellite. Guess what happens every time a storm comes through? Even a rainy day can cause a barrage of connection problems. What do you suppose gamers do when the weather keeps them inside?

How about soldiers who are deployed or stationed overseas? Internet connections tend to be pretty unreliable from any barracks room, especially overseas in Germany or Korea. How about the people on deployment? Most of them have laptops these days but internet connections are iffy at best when they're available. Playing spades during downtime gets old quick when you have a laptop and some decent games to play. Guess those guys are pretty well screwed now if they want to play a current Ubisoft game. I'm an Army veteran of 14 years myself and I can tell you, I don't think I'd want to cut out a market segment packed full of people that are earning lots of money with not much to spend it on and have nothing much to do with their downtime. But that's just me.

^^ This is probably the best post in the entire thread. Thanks to you and yours for your service btw. :)

But exactly 'how' are you being 'punished'?

I haven't once been kicked out of Rise Of Flight. It's a total non-issue. You have an internet connection. You log in. You play your game. That's it.

This happened about 6 years ago, but Comcast cut a line on their backbone in Fresno. A small section of town, next to Fresno State, was without Comcast internet for 2 weeks. With Ubisoft's new scheme in a scenario like this, I would be unable to play my game due to lack of internet.

Is that bound to happen again? Probably not. Possibly. Could only be a day or two. But the fact remains that if I purchase a single player game I should be able to load it up whenever I want on however many computers I own in my house or at work without ever wondering if it will work.

I would bet money that next month I'll be playing AC2 on day one before the pirates do, that for the month it will take me to complete AC 2 I won't ever have a problem connecting to Ubisoft's website, and that, in the end, Ubisoft will sell more than 40,000 copies of AC 2, meaning their scheme will have worked out for them.

I'd gladly take this bet if you lived nearby.

I just don't see how I'm being 'punished' here?

Of course not. You can't see anything but your own perspective. It has been explained ad-nauseum to you multiple times, but every scenario, every circumstance, is simply explained away by you.

What I'm far more worried about is Ubisoft getting screwed again, and saying, that's it, we're not going to support the PC anymore. Why can't people understand this? Ah, I see why - because as I argued above, the vast majority of these people are pirates themselves.

:rolleyes:

This happened about 6 years ago, but Comcast cut a line on their backbone in Fresno. A small section of town, next to Fresno State, was without Comcast internet for 2 weeks. With Ubisoft's new scheme in a scenario like this, I would be unable to play my game due to lack of internet.

Too bad..."get better Internet." "let them eat cake." :rolleyes:

Is that bound to happen again? Probably not. Possibly. Could only be a day or two.

But the fact remains that if I purchase a single player game I should be able to load it up whenever I want on however many computers I own in my house or at work without ever wondering if it will work.

It's that simple.

Of course not. You can't see anything but your own perspective. It has been explained ad-nauseum to you multiple times, but every scenario, every circumstance, is simply explained away by you.

Or flat out ignored.

So if the government decides to put dog collars on everyone tomorrow in an effort to eliminate crime, we should go along with it. Cause you know its the criminals' fault and if we complain we are then condoning crime. Of course I have no room to be angry even if I see real criminals run around with a hacked collar doing whatever he pleases. Is that what you are telling me? I'm just trying to get some clarification here.

...We know from doing the math that if 40,000 people bought the original game during the first month, and 700,000 pirated it, then for every one person who bought a legitimate copy of the game 17 people didn't.
17 to 1.

That's the ratio...

Hi Wabe can you post the source of where you got your figures from?

I just enhanced my [H] experience by adding WabeWalker to my ignore list, I suggest you all do the same

there's no sense in trying to rationalize someone who doesn't want to be rational.

If he wants to buy Ubisoft products, let him

I know this contributes nothing to the thread, but what the hell:

Ubisoft; Helping make internet down time suck since 2010.

geez dudes just let this thread die.Ubisoft will do as they damn will please and no amount of bitching will change it.

I really don't understand why this is a big deal.

Most computer users are always connected to the internet. Secondly, if Ubisoft doesn't implement a very strong DRM policy, they'll just stop making PC games.

So we should be part of the problem anyways, make it that much worse, and you are basically endorsing piracy.

Got it.

It took you reading my whole post to get that? Lol it was in the first sentence. But yeah, just to clarify, that's exactly what I'm not just endorsing, but advocating. Stop me if I infer too much, but if being a pirate is to be part of the problem, then being a legitimate user is being part of the solution.

Problem is nothing's getting solved. We're pouring money into an industry whose quality is precipitously falling off and increasingly being looked at as pariahs. Well... if someone's going to assume I'm a criminal, I'm going to act the part. If it bothers you, well shit that's too bad.

Most computer users are always connected to the internet. Secondly, if Ubisoft doesn't implement a very strong DRM policy, they'll just stop making PC games.

nobody would care if they went out of business on PC

good points about pirates will always be pirates and DRM really only affects the legit users

and yes I'm sure quite a few people on these forums are pirates but that being said the fact of the matter is that most people are making a big stink out of nothing...the internet issue is mute for most people as this is not 1988 anymore...most people use always-on connections these days...the people that are going on about airport travelers and military personnel are just being petty (plus I'm sure the military has much bigger things to worry about then playing AC2 during their time in Iraq)...yes those people do matter and it will affect them but you can't market a product to satisfy 100% of the users

you market based on the most common user base...there's no really way to measure what kind of an effect this new DRM will have on sales so everything is a mute point...I think sales of the game will not be affected too much either way

These measure are fairly draconian and I understand the backlash, not sure I understand the backlash against the backlash. However, these are internet forums, we are here to discuss issue we are interested. If you don't like it you don't have to read it. We know ubisoft wont read this, that was never the point. Thanks for adding to the thread by telling us to shut up tho, you win the internet bro, good job.

the people that are going on about airport travelers and military personnel are just being petty (plus I'm sure the military has much bigger things to worry about then playing AC2 during their time in Iraq)

Wow. You haven't dealt much with military people have you? Here is a solid clue - they often get time off.

Wow. You haven't dealt much with military people have you? Here is a solid clue - they often get time off.

and during their time off do you really think they want to spend their time playing AC2???

here's a solid clue- No

The voice of reason.

It's not a big deal at all.

You've got an internet connection. Your game works. End of discussion. This argument is insanely stupid. Just insanely stupid.

This debate has already taken place, too - when it was announced that in order to run Half Life 2 you'd have to authenticate your game and run a third party program called Steam people went ape shit. They beat the drum for months, saying that they weren't going to buy Half Life 2, and fuck Valve Software. Yeah, right, look at how that turned out.

And you're exactly right about Ubisoft ceasing production on PC games entirely. People just raped them with the original game. When you sell 40,000 copies of a game in your first month, and 700,000 copies end up being pirated, then there's not a whole lot that you have left to lose by making people authenticate over the net.

I also agree that this thread is starting to run its course. It's just a lot of repetition now. It's also starting to degenerate into name calling. I haven't said anything about this, but there's no reason to start calling me names. None whatsoever. That's just high school stuff.

and during their time off do you really think they want to spend their time playing AC2???

here's a solid clue- No

They play whatever they want? I know two people currently enlisted who play eve like mad, when they go on deployment they tend to play single player games (LIKE AC2 GASP!?) to kill time. Is there something wrong with your brain?

You must live quite the cloistered life.

What, you think the military is one big shower scene like top gun during downtime? You have no clue, and I even gave you one, what'd you do with that anyway.

They play whatever they want? I know two people currently enlisted who play eve like mad, when they go on deployment they tend to play single player games (LIKE AC2 GASP!?) to kill time. Is there something wrong with your brain?

You must live quite the cloistered life.

dude don't you understand what I'm saying?...maybe your military friends do in fact play games 24/7...but I'm sure the normal ones don't...they have much better things they want to do during their free time then play games...

Ha!

LOL at the above debate about US military personnel not being able to play Assassin's Creed 2 because they can't connect to the internet!

The US Army can't connect to the internet. LOL! That is rich!

Well all I know is that I've got 3 Internet connections that pretty much never go down, definitely not all at once and this ain't a big deal to me.

Fuck pirates however.

dude don't you understand what I'm saying?...maybe your military friends do in fact play games 24/7...but I'm sure the normal ones don't...they have much better things they want to do during their free time then play games...

I never said 24/7 dumbshit. I'm sure now you don't have any friends who actually even had the balls to enlist, kid. Let me tell you, a copy of civ IV to one of my boys who was going on deployment with nothing but a laptop was like giving him a sack of gold coins. Some of them still have computers and no steady internet.

I think you don't understand what you are saying. What, you think every soldier in the world stays up all night planning secret missions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back