Two years after launch Windows 11 adoption is still waaaay behind Windows 10

Same experience as me. I began as a programmer, became an it admin for a few, and now am a dev again. Linux has stunk every time I tried it. The constant shilling is really pathetic.
I have never been impressed with Linux. It's a neat idea, but unless it becomes mainstream like macOS or Windows, the lack of compatibility with mostly everything makes it completely worthless for me. The only area where Linux seems to be doing well is gaming with Proton, but there are still many issues with that as well.

A lot of the issues you guys are whining about have incredibly easy fixes ... most of them are simple settings changes in Windows 11. Some serious first world problems going on in here.
O, RLY? Then why don't you provide the settings in Windows 11, that lets me use quick launch, small icons, titles and never combine on the taskbar? I already hate the fact that W10 groups instances of apps together on the taskbar, instead of listing them in the order they were started, but that's one thing I'm able to live with, the rest I'm not compromising on.
Thats happened to me a couple of times. I found a powershell command on google to basically reinstall the shell.
I've searched far and wide up and down for months for a solution, but that never came up. I felt that the MS support volunteer who talked to me wasn't even taking me seriously.
They aren't fixes for anything, they're preferences.
My preference does not align with what W11 allows.

O, RLY? Then why don't you provide the settings in Windows 11, that lets me use quick launch, small icons, titles and never combine on the taskbar? I already hate the fact that W10 groups instances of apps together on the taskbar, instead of listing them in the order they were started, but that's one thing I'm able to live with, the rest I'm not compromising on.
onepunch.png

never combine on the taskbar? I

Never combine on the taskbar is back. But in my experience it is a bit buggy. Sometimes the text does not appear. It generally works, and maybe a recent update fixed it. My main PC is Win 10 so I don't use Win 11 much.

Why did it take them two years to add it, and why was it buggy at launch? It is like trying to re-invent the wheel. It works, don't change it.

So you admit you were firing on all cylinders out of your anus? And the issues we have are not actually solvable with a few settings? Just say it, instead of trying to hide behind a meme.

Also, using memes to communicate in a discussion is the height of disrespect, and it is more of a self-report than you can imagine. And that includes the ones patting you on the back for it.

Never combine on the taskbar is back. But in my experience it is a bit buggy. Sometimes the text does not appear. It generally works, and maybe a recent update fixed it. My main PC is Win 10 so I don't use Win 11 much.

Why did it take them two years to add it, and why was it buggy at launch? It is like trying to re-invent the wheel. It works, don't change it.
I know, that's how I realized it is still missing small icons, because before never combine was added I didn't bother looking for the small icons option. I just assumed it would be there, after all why would MS remove something good, right?

They aren't fixes for anything, they're preferences.
If it's a preference that I had in Windows 10 and is not available with Windows 11 without a "fix", then yes it's fixing. If my hardware doesn't support TPM2.0 then is getting Windows 11 working a fix or a preference?
Please, just stop with the Linux shilling. I've genuinely tried many times to convert to Linux, including recently. It's just not there yet. It may never be there.
I am curious to know what problems you had? Linux is not there yet, but to say it never will be is just wishful thinking.
What does Fusion 360 have to do with literally anything whatsoever?
Personal experience, and the worst problem I ran into using Linux.
No, nothing is an easy fix with the help of Google.
That's the joke. Anyone who's ever had a problem with something will inevitably Google it. It's never easy, and requires a lot of searching through Reddit posts to find a solution.
Please stop talking out of your nether region as if Googling things will fix all the blatant flaws currently plaguing Linux. Linux is not a solution to everything. I'm in IT for a living and now I'm getting into software engineering (and yes ... Linux is great for that). I'm not stupid.
You must be autistic if you still didn't get the Google joke at this point.
I'm currently on macOS right now for the native UNIX dev environment, but when I go back to Windows again (sold my last PC as it wasn't powerful enough for what I want to do with it), I'll probably be dual booting some flavor of Linux for development, although Microsoft is making it easier all the time for devs (my buddy codes exclusively in Windows), such as bringing sudo commands into Windows.
There's your problem, you're a Mac user. Linux isn't for everyone, especially a Mac user. You may have to learn new things, something that people rarely like to do. The point of mentioning Linux is because that's the best alternative to Windows. Certainly not MacOS, as you can't even install the thing onto a PC, at least not without Googling. If there are certain things GNU/Linux does better than Windows 11 then that's a problem. You may not like that comparison, but it is the way it is. Also, sudo commands into Windows? Is that really enough Linux for you? Don't Mac users also have access to Terminal?

Most of the problems on Linux have a lot of incredibly easy fixes... assuming you know how to use Google. That kinda defeats the purpose of a commercial product like Windows.
Most of the problems on Windows have a lot of incredibly easy fixes... assuming you know how to use Google. That kinda means both a free and commercial product can co-exist in the same market to serve the preferences of users.

So you admit you were firing on all cylinders out of your anus? And the issues we have are not actually solvable with a few settings? Just say it, instead of trying to hide behind a meme.

Also, using memes to communicate in a discussion is the height of disrespect, and it is more of a self-report than you can imagine. And that includes the ones patting you on the back for it.
Sounds like a touched a nerve. Based on your disproportionate response, this seems more like a self-report than my meme was. Keep on being overly sensitive on the internet, though. 👍

RLY? Then why don't you provide the settings in Windows 11, that lets me use quick launch, small icons, titles and never combine on the taskbar? I already hate the fact that W10 groups instances of apps together on the taskbar, instead of listing them in the order they were started, but that's one thing I'm able to live with, the rest I'm not compromising on.
Win 11 orders them in the order in which they were pinned sadly. You can unpin them, move them around and re pin them. But you can’t move them around when pinned it’s irksome.

You can go to settings—> personalization—> Taskbar —> Find the setting “Combine taskbar buttons and hide labels” and change it to Never.

My preference does not align with what W11 allows.
I doesn't for me either. I have gone as far as installing classic shell and window blinds. Its not perfect.

Honestly I just wish that I could just use the Windows 2000 shell. All this new ui stuff is the spawn of the devil.
I don't want to know what kind of dark ritual they had to perform to summon the control panel/settings cluster fuck.

It almost feels like the explorer is trying to keep me away from the root of the system. The flat UI makes it harder to pick out the file that I am looking for. I could go on for days...

I doesn't for me either. I have gone as far as installing classic shell and window blinds. Its not perfect.

Honestly I just wish that I could just use the Windows 2000 shell. All this new ui stuff is the spawn of the devil.
I don't want to know what kind of dark ritual they had to perform to summon the control panel/settings cluster fuck.

It almost feels like the explorer is trying to keep me away from the root of the system. The flat UI makes it harder to pick out the file that I am looking for. I could go on for days...
I mean if I could have my way, I'd go back to the Windows 7 UI, which was my favorite.

Most of the problems on Windows have a lot of incredibly easy fixes... assuming you know how to use Google. That kinda means both a free and commercial product can co-exist in the same market to serve the preferences of users.
Nobody said that commercial and therefore closed software can't work with free and open source software. You're missing the point, and the main problem with Windows. This is all about the lack of control over the very thing that controls your computer. The move to Windows 8 is the first time I felt like I've lost control over my computer, with each subsequent release taking even more control away. Windows 10 would force users to upgrade, and then often force on the telemetry data collection even after you told it not to. Major updates would rearrange settings making it harder to control your PC and sometimes Windows 10 would remove applications without your permission. Now we have Windows 11 that is pushing users to upgrade their PC's to support TPM2.0 and pushing users to log in with a Microsoft account. The reason people like myself switch to Linux is because I feel like I once again have control. I'm not saying Linux is better, but it isn't hostile towards it's users. Nobody is collecting telemetry data without my permission, and hiding that fact behind commercial closed software. If Windows 11 has any problems including preferences then that's the fault of Microsoft, not the users. Not the users fault they gotta Google how to bypass logging in with Microsoft account. Not their fault that there's no drivers or support for older hardware, that could run Windows 11 but won't. It's not because Windows 11 has this must have feature, but because people are afraid that once Windows 10 stops receiving security updates that hackers are gonna steal their bank account information. So you either update to Windows 11 or find out what happens. Me mentioning Linux is because no other OS can be considered an alternative to Windows. It is the reason why Microsoft isn't considered a monopoly. You're not going to install MacOS on your PC, and even if you could you're moving from one hostile OS to another.

windows-11-watermark-message.png

Still better than what was delivered to us in 8.0…
Windows 8.0 had a UI?

Nobody said that commercial and therefore closed software can't work with free and open source software. You're missing the point, and the main problem with Windows. This is all about the lack of control over the very thing that controls your computer. The move to Windows 8 is the first time I felt like I've lost control over my computer, with each subsequent release taking even more control away. Windows 10 would force users to upgrade, and then often force on the telemetry data collection even after you told it not to. Major updates would rearrange settings making it harder to control your PC and sometimes Windows 10 would remove applications without your permission. Now we have Windows 11 that is pushing users to upgrade their PC's to support TPM2.0 and pushing users to log in with a Microsoft account. The reason people like myself switch to Linux is because I feel like I once again have control. I'm not saying Linux is better, but it isn't hostile towards it's users. Nobody is collecting telemetry data without my permission, and hiding that fact behind commercial closed software. If Windows 11 has any problems including preferences then that's the fault of Microsoft, not the users. Not the users fault they gotta Google how to bypass logging in with Microsoft account. Not their fault that there's no drivers or support for older hardware, that could run Windows 11 but won't. It's not because Windows 11 has this must have feature, but because people are afraid that once Windows 10 stops receiving security updates that hackers are gonna steal their bank account information. So you either update to Windows 11 or find out what happens. Me mentioning Linux is because no other OS can be considered an alternative to Windows. It is the reason why Microsoft isn't considered a monopoly. You're not going to install MacOS on your PC, and even if you could you're moving from one hostile OS to another.
Yes, Linux has some advantages such as control, privacy, and community support, but it doesn't meet the needs of everyone, especially ones heavily invested in Windows-specific software or workflows. There is a lot of software that doesn't properly function in Linux ... and some not at all ... and the open source alternatives are terrible.

The decision to switch from Windows to Linux, or anything else for matter, is a personal one that depends heavily on compatibility, familiarity, and specific use cases. Linux is as far from anything I could possibly use in its current form.

Obviously if you prioritize the control over your privacy over everything else, then Linux is the best option.

Linux has clear advantages and glaring disadvantages. What works for you isn't going to work for everyone, no matter how much you try to convince others. I've installed very stripped down flavors of Linux on older people's computers because their computers were ancient and ran terribly on newer versions of Windows and all they did was use the internet and check their emails and occasionally write text documents. I'm not anti-Linux. But Linux is definitely not for everyone. Especially when its complete lack of compatibility for certain software cuts into my ability to generate income. Linux is going to need to gain significantly more marketshare before it becomes viable enough for large companies to put stable versions of their software on it.

View attachment 634812

Windows 8.0 had a UI?
cool story...
are they even using that watermark anymore, thats from 2022 and i have not seen it on anything in the last year. there are also some very easy to follow MS instructions to remove it.

yes.

Yes, Linux has some advantages such as control, privacy, and community support, but it doesn't meet the needs of everyone, especially ones heavily invested in Windows-specific software or workflows. There is a lot of software that doesn't properly function in Linux ... and some not at all ... and the open source alternatives are terrible.
This is one of the reasons why I use Linux, because these problems won't solve themselves. Can't preach about the benefits of Linux without actually using it. Also yes, Linux does suck. For every advantage Linux has, there are two disadvantages it has. That gap is slowly closing.
Linux has clear advantages and glaring disadvantages. What works for you isn't going to work for everyone, no matter how much you try to convince others. I've installed very stripped down flavors of Linux on older people's computers because their computers were ancient and ran terribly on newer versions of Windows and all they did was use the internet and check their emails and occasionally write text documents. I'm not anti-Linux. But Linux is definitely not for everyone. Especially when its complete lack of compatibility for certain software cuts into my ability to generate income. Linux is going to need to gain significantly more marketshare before it becomes viable enough for large companies to put stable versions of their software on it.
Never said Linux was for everyone. It shouldn't be dismissed as an option. You need to do video editing? It does have DaVinci Resolve but no AAC support on Linux. No Adobe applications so forget about photo editing. It does run games better than MacOS to the point where Linux overtook MacOS on Steam. When Windows fucks up, who you gonna call? You're not going to go Apple and install MacOS on your AMD 7800X3D PC. You want Microsoft to stop screwing around, then threaten to switch to Linux. Why you think Microsoft is putting so many Linux features into Windows lately? You think Microsoft had a meeting and said that WSL and sudo into Windows was cool as shit? It's meant to deter people from switching to Linux. The nerds mostly.
cool story...
are they even using that watermark anymore, thats from 2022 and i have not seen it on anything in the last year.
There's a lot of things Microsoft put in Windows temporarily and then took it away. Usually from all the negative press.
there are also some very easy to follow MS instructions to remove it.
Would I have to... Google it? Just did, gotta go into Group Policy then find "Hide messages when Windows system requirements are not met" and set it to enabled. Sounds so simple now. I'm sure Bob from accounting can do this on his own. He changed a tire once, so I'm sure he can open up group policy editor and do this.

This is one of the reasons why I use Linux, because these problems won't solve themselves. Can't preach about the benefits of Linux without actually using it. Also yes, Linux does suck. For every advantage Linux has, there are two disadvantages it has. That gap is slowly closing.

Never said Linux was for everyone. It shouldn't be dismissed as an option. You need to do video editing? It does have DaVinci Resolve but no AAC support on Linux. No Adobe applications so forget about photo editing. It does run games better than MacOS to the point where Linux overtook MacOS on Steam. When Windows fucks up, who you gonna call? You're not going to go Apple and install MacOS on your AMD 7800X3D PC. You want Microsoft to stop screwing around, then threaten to switch to Linux. Why you think Microsoft is putting so many Linux features into Windows lately? You think Microsoft had a meeting and said that WSL and sudo into Windows was cool as shit? It's meant to deter people from switching to Linux. The nerds mostly.

There's a lot of things Microsoft put in Windows temporarily and then took it away. Usually from all the negative press.

Would I have to... Google it? Just did, gotta go into Group Policy then find "Hide messages when Windows system requirements are not met" and set it to enabled. Sounds so simple now. I'm sure Bob from accounting can do this on his own. He changed a tire once, so I'm sure he can open up group policy editor and do this.
I don't care why you use Linux.

Then why don't you provide the settings in Windows 11, that lets me use quick launch, small icons, titles and never combine on the taskbar?
They put the last one, at least, back in at some point.

1707886700885.png

Would I have to...

No. You posted a picture of something that was briefly included in an insider build (in case you were wondering why it said "evaluation copy") from 2 years ago. No message like that has ever existed in any release version of Windows 11.

Sounds so simple now. I'm sure Bob from accounting can do this on his own. He changed a tire once, so I'm sure he can open up group policy editor and do this.

Why is "Bob from accounting" running a 2 year old insider build that has probably already expired?

This really shows how detached you are from reality when it comes to Windows. You have to grasp at straws and post 2 year old pictures out of context in order to back up your argument.

No. You posted a picture of something that was briefly included in an insider build (in case you were wondering why it said "evaluation copy") from 2 years ago. No message like that has ever existed in any release version of Windows 11.

Why is "Bob from accounting" running a 2 year old insider build that has probably already expired?

This really shows how detached you are from reality when it comes to Windows. You have to grasp at straws and post 2 year old pictures out of context in order to back up your argument.
You mean like how Microsoft briefly had ads in their File Explorer? It's not in there now, but it was in testing. It's not like the programmer was drinking too much Monster Energy Drink and then accidentally pressed the key that created these features. There were meetings for this with intention to eventually include them in a future build of Windows. How can anyone trust Microsoft with Windows when they are constantly working against their users interests? Remember when Microsoft was going to require always online with Xbox One? That was never in an official release of the console, but the lack of adoption of Xbox One was probably due to that. If Microsoft is showing people with Insider builds what they plan to do with Windows and people are upset about it, even after they removed said controversial feature, you can't blame people for remembering this. Is Microsoft going to stop introducing features that don't benefit the user but certainly benefits their shareholders? There will be Insider builds where you'll see these feature creep up again, and if Microsoft is brave enough then they'll make it into a final release. That is enough for some people to avoid switching to Windows 11.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-file-explorer-ads-in-windows-11-were-an-accident-kind-of/
1647416070_fea_story.jpg

You mean like how Microsoft briefly had ads in their File Explorer? It's not in there now, but it was in testing. It's not like the programmer was drinking too much Monster Energy Drink and then accidentally pressed the key that created these features. There were meetings for this with intention to eventually include them in a future build of Windows. How can anyone trust Microsoft with Windows when they are constantly working against their users interests? Remember when Microsoft was going to require always online with Xbox One? That was never in an official release of the console, but the lack of adoption of Xbox One was probably due to that. If Microsoft is showing people with Insider builds what they plan to do with Windows and people are upset about it, even after they removed said controversial feature, you can't blame people for remembering this. Is Microsoft going to stop introducing features that don't benefit the user but certainly benefits their shareholders? There will be Insider builds where you'll see these feature creep up again, and if Microsoft is brave enough then they'll make it into a final release. That is enough for some people to avoid switching to Windows 11.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-file-explorer-ads-in-windows-11-were-an-accident-kind-of/
View attachment 634958
If there was a competition for grasping at straws, you'd take home the gold.

View attachment 634958
thats a pretty shitty chop and you missed an important part:
1707933509292.png

View attachment 634958
Dude, that says right below it, "not a real screenshot." Stop being so dishonest.

You mean like how Microsoft briefly had ads in their File Explorer? It's not in there now, but it was in testing. It's not like the programmer was drinking too much Monster Energy Drink and then accidentally pressed the key that created these features. There were meetings for this with intention to eventually include them in a future build of Windows.

View attachment 634958

Again you have to go back 2 years, this time with a click-bait article and photoshopped picture.

Let me remind you of what it clearly says when you join the insider program:

Microsoft said:
The Canary and Dev Channels receive builds with features and experiences that may never get released as we try out different concepts and get feedback. Features may change over time, be removed, or replaced and never get released beyond Windows Insiders.

If the feature was being tested 2 years ago, experienced a limited rollout (I never saw it on any of my insider build setups), and was quickly removed, then you acting like it's a foregone conclusion that it's going to come back is a big stretch.

thats a pretty shitty chop and you missed an important part:
View attachment 635036
Keyword is YET.
Again you have to go back 2 years, this time with a click-bait article and photoshopped picture.

Let me remind you of what it clearly says when you join the insider program:

If the feature was being tested 2 years ago, experienced a limited rollout (I never saw it on any of my insider build setups), and was quickly removed, then you acting like it's a foregone conclusion that it's going to come back is a big stretch.
Why were they testing this? It's clear that Microsoft had intentions with these "removed features". A reminder gentlemen that we're here to contemplate why Windows 11 adoption is so slow. I personally jumped to Linux for these reasons, that and the UI. I don't want to depend that if enough people cry about changes to Windows that Microsoft knee jerk reacts to remove them. Eventually these features will creep back in. By the way, this isn't part of an insider build and as far as I know there isn't a way to turn this off. Not yet anyway.
windows ads.png

It's called "listening to feedback" and it's a good thing. It's stunning how you can somehow twist that into a negative when viewed through your anti-Microsoft lens.
And if MS actually listened to feedback we wouldn't have had worsening UIs and increased spying since Win8. If you weren't looking through your pro-MS lens you might see that.

and it never happened, period. years old bullshit clickbait.
Except in Insider Builds which is like one step away from being in released builds.
this can be disabled during the last steps of install or during a new account setup. you have to allow it.

just stop.
Stop what? Telling you guys the intentions of Microsoft? They are clearly looking for methods to make more money out of Windows users. Like I said before, Microsoft didn't release Xbox One with always online requirement, but it did have a massive effect on people buying Xbox One's. Microsoft makes it clear that they will add requirements and changes to Windows even without your approval.
It's called "listening to feedback" and it's a good thing. It's stunning how you can somehow twist that into a negative when viewed through your anti-Microsoft lens.
Did Microsoft do any "listening to feedback" to see if people liked the requirements of TPM2.0 in Windows 11? Who here thought that was a good idea? They are a for profit company who is publicly traded, and will do anything they can to make more money. They're not trying to make Windows a better experience, but trying to make Windows generate more profits for them. You sound like I've offended you, but these are my reasons why I don't touch Windows 11, and I'm willing to be I'm not alone on this.

• Requires TPM2.0, and yes it does.
  • You Have to Sign in to a Microsoft Account to Use Windows 11, and again yes it does.
  • Telemetry data collection is still hard to disable in Windows 11 without installing tools like O&O ShutUp10++.
  • Limits my ability to make the UI look the way I like without again installing 3rd party software.

Except in Insider Builds which is like one step away from being in released builds.

Stop what? Telling you guys the intentions of Microsoft? They are clearly looking for methods to make more money out of Windows users. Like I said before, Microsoft didn't release Xbox One with always online requirement, but it did have a massive effect on people buying Xbox One's. Microsoft makes it clear that they will add requirements and changes to Windows even without your approval.

Did Microsoft do any "listening to feedback" to see if people liked the requirements of TPM2.0 in Windows 11? Who here thought that was a good idea? They are a for profit company who is publicly traded, and will do anything they can to make more money. They're not trying to make Windows a better experience, but trying to make Windows generate more profits for them. You sound like I've offended you, but these are my reasons why I don't touch Windows 11, and I'm willing to be I'm not alone on this.

• Requires TPM2.0, and yes it does.
  • You Have to Sign in to a Microsoft Account to Use Windows 11, and again yes it does.
  • Telemetry data collection is still hard to disable in Windows 11 without installing tools like O&O ShutUp10++.
  • Limits my ability to make the UI look the way I like without again installing 3rd party software.
Um, I don't have to sign into a Microsoft account to run Windows 11. Maybe because I did an upgrade as opposed to a clean install? Don't know.

Um, I don't have to sign into a Microsoft account to run Windows 11. Maybe because I did an upgrade as opposed to a clean install? Don't know.
Although Microsoft is extremely stupid for forcing this on people, it’s easily bypassed (for now). It’s not difficult, though. When the Microsoft sign in page pops up during installation, you enter [email protected] for the email and then enter any password you like and it will throw back an error, allowing you to then make a local account. I’ve done this at least 100 times since Windows 11 was released, including recently. It’s stupid that it’s forced, though.

Alternatively, you can just make a throwaway Microsoft account that you don’t use to sign in with, and then just remove the account from Windows after everything is set up. You’ll need to make a new local account though so you don’t have some weird name for your user profile folder and then delete the one you set the computer up with.

Although Microsoft is extremely stupid for forcing this on people, it’s easily bypassed (for now). It’s not difficult, though. When the Microsoft sign in page pops up during installation, you enter [email protected] for the email and then enter any password you like and it will throw back an error, allowing you to then make a local account. I’ve done this at least 100 times since Windows 11 was released, including recently. It’s stupid that it’s forced, though.

Alternatively, you can just make a throwaway Microsoft account that you don’t use to sign in with, and then just remove the account from Windows after everything is set up. You’ll need to make a new local account though so you don’t have some weird name for your user profile folder and then delete the one you set the computer up with.
and thats just on home, with pro you can still just hit "domain join" and then create a local account.

I like windows 11 and Linux, they both have there pluses and minuses. If you ask me which one I trust the most, hands down Linux.

2 cents.

Back