Twitter Updates Developer Rules to Stop Bots

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Twitter has released new developer rules that they hope will stop bots from proliferating across the social media platform. Basically they are saying apps or services may no longer automatically post similar contant on multiple accounts. Additionally, simultaneous Likes, Retweets, etc. can not be performed by multiple accounts. The bottom line is Twitter wants to stop bots and they are getting serious about it. It's about time. Stop the spam!

As a sole exception to this rule, applications that broadcast or share weather, emergency, or other public service announcements of broad community interest (for example, earthquake or tsunami alerts) are permitted to post this content across multiple accounts who have authorized an app.

For years I honestly thought that's what twitter was for. Automated message systems for admins, news feeds, whatever you wanted your bot to do.

I just couldn't wrap my around the point of "microblogging".

as if they will allow anyone neutral to audit their systems, but it will be:

just for show to satisfy congress. premium aka paid channels will get a free pass , unless it's something the honchos disagree with
non-paid channels used by NGOs, activist groups etc = surely will get a free pass as well

Back