Transformer Prime, when and how much?

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by sasquatch182, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Andrmgic

Andrmgic Gawd

Someone hit the 0 instead of the 9.. it's 1920x1200..

2. FranklyShankly

FranklyShankly [H]ard|Gawd

Man that is seriously high res for a 10 inch screen. Not sure why that's even necessary personally.

3. Black-Tom

Black-Tom Limp Gawd

Just received my tf201 champagne 32gb from amazon, pretty awesome. Trying to figure out how/where to get a dock for this thing. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

First impressions, it feels well made. A lot of people were complaining online about the build quality but all of the seams are flush and it doesn't flex like my dad's tf101. Wifi signal strength is the same as my droid incredible, but that's not impressive because my apartment is not very large. GPS appears to be locking onto satellites from inside my apartment. Speakers leave a little to be desired, but honestly I wasn't expecting much since the speakers on my laptop are crap as well. Camera takes decent pictures but I feel like a total tool holding this fat thing in my hands to take a picture so I doubt I'll be using it for that except when no one can see me which pretty much means I won't take any pictures with it at all. micro sd slot is not quite recessed enough but I doubt that will be a problem.

Overall, it should be a great travel companion and an excellent travel companion once I get the dock for extended trips. Having essentially a larger, faster version of my phone with some laptop capabilities is exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully the keyboard is good enough to write some papers with.

4. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the info! Cancelled my order and will wait for either the TF700T or iPad3

5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC 2[H]4U

One time I needed to fix something on my house...I was sure what you ask for at the hardware store, so I took some pics on my tablet and took that with me to home depot. All I had to do is show those pics on that big screen to the folks there...the rest was easy....so while I don't think of using a tablet camera like a point-n-shoot, it came come in real handy having the camera there, even if it's not the best ever made.

6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC 2[H]4U

Me too. I have enough tablets to hold me over until the 1080p+ screens hit the market. I need that extra resolution because I like to read a lot of PDFs on tablets.

7. g1xx3r

g1xx3r [H]ardness Supreme

ICE CREAM SANDWICH UPDATING NOW!!

8. AQ_OC

AQ_OC 2[H]4U

Wow....three days early...

9. LstOfTheBrunnenG

LstOfTheBrunnenG [H]ardness Supreme

I tried it right when I saw the guy from Asus on Engadget saying it was available. The guy from Asus was a dirty liar.

Tried again 15 minutes ago, just finished downloading :p

Here we go!

10. drstk

drstk [H]ardness Supreme

ohh nice find. d/l now!

11. LstOfTheBrunnenG

Well, it's a different font....

12. Black-Tom

Black-Tom Limp Gawd

Definitely a pleasant surprise to get ICS, there was a camera firmware update as well.

Edit: i think the contrast of the screen changed with the update, anyone else?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  13. DraGun

DraGun Gawd

When did you order it?

14. SlayVus

SlayVus Limp Gawd

TF700T 32GB $599 - TF700T 64GB $699

TF201 32GB - $499 - TF201 64GB $599

Transformer Prime Dock $149

Cost of 32GB TF700T w/Dock $748

Cost of 64GB TF201T w/Dock $848

15. Black-Tom

Black-Tom Limp Gawd

My parents ordered it from amazon 12/19

16. DraGun

DraGun Gawd

I ordered the same date too. I ordered on the same date as two people now and both have received theirs yet I haven't seen any activity on mine :(

17. AQ_OC

AQ_OC 2[H]4U

Where did you find prices? And thanks for posting.

18. SlayVus

SlayVus Limp Gawd

19. LstOfTheBrunnenG

20. BobSutan

BobSutan [H]ardForum Junkie

You're shitting me, the Prime isn't even on store shelves yet and they're already rolling out a newer enhanced model?

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin.../09/gIQA9bbImP_story.html?tid=pm_business_pop

Source: http://blogs.computerworld.com/19544/asus_transformer_prime_tf700t

Looks like I'll be waiting until the summer to upgrade my TF1 after all.

Now the question is will the TF700T be compatible with the first gen dock?

21. LstOfTheBrunnenG

If it takes the 201's dock then it's more than likely not compatible with the 101's.

22. SlayVus

SlayVus Limp Gawd

Q4 of 2011 for the TF201 release turned has turned into Q1 of 2012 before they could actually get a normal quantity shipped out.

You could be waiting until Q3 or even Q4 of this year or, god have mercy on them if it happens, Q1 of 2013.

ASUS has had TWO tablet launches and now both times finding stock for the first 2-3 months has been IMPOSSIBLE unless you have quick fingers and have no day jobs.

A 1920x1200 10.1" is a lot harder to make than a 1280x800

And no the docks are not compatible. The TF201 and TF700T are the same thickness, both thinner than the TF101.

23. LstOfTheBrunnenG

I was on vacation the day I ordered mine. Ha.

24. Black-Tom

Black-Tom Limp Gawd

That sucks. Originally amazon said jan 26-feb 9 as the eta so maybe you'll get lucky. I'm not sure how or where to get the dock...

25. LstOfTheBrunnenG

There were rumors the 64 GB tablets had been delayed until Q2. That's why I didn't order the dock until after I had the tablet in hand. Now that I have it I can wait for the dock. If the dock is a must-have can't-live-without accessory for you and it ruins your tablet experience, maybe you should have bought a netbook instead of a tablet :p

26. DraGun

DraGun Gawd

Yeah Amazon says for me in my status page: Delivery Estimate: Tuesday January 24, 2012 - Tuesday February 7, 2012

Oh well it is what it is.

Anyway, this may or may not help you find a dock

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/tablets/asus/accessories/

27. heatlesssun

heatlesssun [H]ard as it Gets

Well three if you count the Windows 7 based EP121. Want through some hoops to get mine when I did last year.

28. silentcoercion

silentcoercion Limp Gawd

Even better - my day job is finding stock of obscure items. :D

Well, general procurement, but finding stock, as opposed to "oh, that'll be a 12-16wk lead time" is highly desired.

29. Intel_Hydralisk

Intel_Hydralisk [H]ardness Supreme

For the dock, I ordered it from Amazon and it had the delayed ETA. So just like for the TF201 itself... I went back to Best Buy's website and sure enough it's on its way via BB now. Cancelled the dock from Amazon. The dock's tracking says next Monday. Shipping from BB isn't great, but at least it's in stock.

30. bleeblak8

bleeblak8 [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah I did the same thing with the Prime and the dock, had them preordered on amazon after a couple people said the tracking updated to soon. But mine still said mid feb. So I cancelled and got both from BB. Should be here Friday.

31. Digital Viper-X-

Digital Viper-X- [H]ardForum Junkie

Yes I noticed it too, I find it too high now.

32. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

In a way, I'm glad that Amazon canceled my T-prime pre-order. Now that the higher res screen is in the works and the Ipad 3 is just around the corner, I think the smarter bet is just to wait a few months before taking the tablet plunge... should be a lot more options come this Spring due to competition.

33. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi [H]ard|Gawd

I'm freaking doing cartwheels off the walls in happy happy joy joy jubilee that Amazon cancelled my pre-order.

34. Skott

Skott 2[H]4U

Yeah, I'm in a 'wait and see' mode too. They are saying May for the latest Transformer Prime model release so we'll see. Apple won't sit back on their laurels for long. They have to do something to maintain market share.

35. Black-Tom

Black-Tom Limp Gawd

I'm trying to make my TF201 a good replacement for my laptop, and in doing so I need a good way to print from this thing. I have a printer connected to my main pc through usb and I can print to it from my laptop over the network. Any idea what the best way to print to that printer would be?

Also, I can't seem to find any way to change the margins on polaris office, which might mean that there are some features missing in other areas that I'm not aware of yet.

36. SlayVus

SlayVus Limp Gawd

Wth....

Amazon AND Newegg AND Best Buy have completely removed the TF201 from their website.

37. silentcoercion

silentcoercion Limp Gawd

What the heck... you seem to be right. Newegg has one, open-box version still listed.

I don't know what to think about that. I mean, Amazon? They list things that no one's had in stock for years.

38. AQ_OC

AQ_OC 2[H]4U

I have a Prime waiting for me at Best Buy....but I mean to cancel this order and wait for a tablet with a true 1080p screen (because I read a lot on my tablets). But...it is hard....hard to just let the goodness sit there...and eventually go back. Must resist....

39. bleeblak8

bleeblak8 [H]ard|Gawd

Resisting if Futile, just got my Prime on Friday and I love it so far. Updated right to ICS and the dock is sweet. I think this will be a good replacement to the laptops I have. Mostly wanted this so I could watch my TV shows from my WHS on this.

40. BobSutan

BobSutan [H]ardForum Junkie

Anyone up for a class action for false advertising? The main reason I got the dock was their promise of it being compatible with future versions of the Transformer.