Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
On a side note, Phoenix is the number one red light running city. Giving people going the other direction a drag-race christmas tree isn't going to help with the accidents. If anything, more street racing will be taking place.
Useful, although a terrible idea as far as traffic accidents go![]()
Bad idea IMHO, and no i didn't read through the post all the way but i am sure it has been brought up, but ill bring it up again. All the stupid 16-2x year old kids are going to use this for drag racing. Again IMHO dumb idea
What they should do is put retractable foot-thick boron-carbide barriers under the ground on fast-moving hydraulics. As soon as a light goes red, it pops up and anyone trying to run the red light gets an instant Darwin Award. Impact sensors would open doors under the road right in front of the barrier, dropping the car and now deceased idiot into a pit for recycling later. The barriers drop on green. This way people don't have to worry about getting T-boned by red-light runners, overpopulation fears can be reduced, and the gene pool of the human species could be improved. I guarantee you'd have more careful drivers with that system.![]()
I like the idea of the red light progress bar, but for a completely different reason: It's a visual confirmation that the system is actually working.
Yep, you guys nailed it. Even a one second delay would be sufficient, or better yet, a random delay between 1 and 2 seconds.It's a great idea... as long as there is the 2 second, ALL directions are red, delay... that takes care of your accident issues for all you people claiming it will cause more accidents...
I like the sentiment, but it doesn't address people already in the intersection when the light changes. We need to f--- over the jaywalkers, too.What they should do is put retractable foot-thick boron-carbide barriers under the ground on fast-moving hydraulics. As soon as a light goes red, it pops up and anyone trying to run the red light gets an instant Darwin Award. Impact sensors would open doors under the road right in front of the barrier, dropping the car and now deceased idiot into a pit for recycling later. The barriers drop on green. This way people don't have to worry about getting T-boned by red-light runners, overpopulation fears can be reduced, and the gene pool of the human species could be improved. I guarantee you'd have more careful drivers with that system.![]()
I see we're ignoring the fact that if someone in front of you stops, no matter how quickly, your inability to stop before hitting them is related to your following distance being too close and not their stopping rate being too fast.
I completely agree, people always follow too close. Number one cause of most accidents as most are rear end collisions.
What of the fact that idiots just shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place? Shouldn't we be trying to figure out how to A) Get idiots off the road and B) prevent idiots from getting on the road in the first place, instead of figuring out how to cater and pander to the idiots?
I like it, that way I don't have to break unnecessarily when approaching a light that is about to change to green. Saves some gas.
holy shit that was bad ass.. lol
i think this is a great idea.. you would be surprised how many predestrians get hit or accidents happen because people are trying to look around to see if they can see the stupid walking/no walking signs to time lights and then the light doesnt change when they think its going to change..
if you carefully watch the intersection in the first place you dont need a "progress bar" to know when it will change...
Good idea in theory, bad idea in practice. That is my judgment.
In my city, when I barely make it through an amber-to-red changing light, there are almost always 2 cars behind me who run the red light. I could have stopped for this light, but chose not to. The two behind me very clearly could have stopped but were in too much of a rush to drive properly.
I also do mild forms of hypermiling, usually just timing red-to-green lights by gliding so I don't have to brake, unlike everyone else in my #*@%ing city. It's always HURRY HURRY HURRY TO THE RED LIGHT TO STOP....
Adding red light timings will encourage people to barrel full-speed into an intersection without knowing the conditions, with the light changing just as they cross their respective stop lines.
These facts will eventually get me t-boned, if I'm ever stupid enough to be the first to enter the intersection. One day when I'm not alert or slightly fog-headed, and BOOM! A hospital trip for me. That, or I'll be the collateral damage, the third party in an accident.
When the amber-to-red light runners combine with the red-to-green runners there will be sheer mayhem. SHEER MAYHEM!!! AAAAHHH!!!!
Of course, I'm no expert....
It's especially nice when I'm in an empty lane beside these people. The light changes, and I casually sashay through the intersection while these guys are just accelerating.... and the process repeats itself at the next light.I agree 100% with the rushing to the stop light thing instead of coasting, people are in way too much of a hurry. i had some a-hole in a Bimmer flashing his high beams at me from behind just because I was coasting to a redlight a 1/4 mile ahead
I'm quite observant.Disagree 100% with getting T-boned... if you have read the comments or been more observant while driving you would know that the lights rarely, ever turn red-green for different directions at the same time. There is a delay of a couple of seconds for people running the red lights to get thru before it turns green for people going the other directions.
I agree 100% with the rushing to the stop light thing instead of coasting, people are in way too much of a hurry. i had some a-hole in a Bimmer flashing his high beams at me from behind just because I was coasting to a redlight a 1/4 mile ahead
Disagree 100% with getting T-boned... if you have read the comments or been more observant while driving you would know that the lights rarely, ever turn red-green for different directions at the same time. There is a delay of a couple of seconds for people running the red lights to get thru before it turns green for people going the other directions.
They have these in China and it's a mess - just as you'd expect, people tend to gun it when they know the light's about to change.
But then traffic there is a mess in general.
yes there is a delay but from what I seen, I dont think the delays are long enough to counter drivers jetting through an intersection by anticipating the green light vs someone trying to cheat a red light.
Observant drivers can already anticipate green lights from viewing the lights changing red from other directions, I dont think its a good idea to make it easier for the clueless masses to do this. Next thing you know youll have idiots running through red lights before the light is even green.
It's especially nice when I'm in an empty lane beside these people. The light changes, and I casually sashay through the intersection while these guys are just accelerating.... and the process repeats itself at the next light.
I'm quite observant.I've had to avoid many of these people in my time driving. There might be a suitable delay where you live, but not around here. I see the results of traffic collisions all the time around here, and see many near collisions. Fortunately I rarely, if ever, drive during rush hour. If I had to, I'd switch to a bicycle and stick to side-roads, but then I'm even more vulnerable.
It makes me long for small-city traffic.
It's a great idea, I dunno if I agree with the implementation though. The red outlines will be reasonably easy to see on the line, but anything for the yellow and green would be difficult to see at a distance.
I was actually thinking about this a few months ago on the topic of red-light cameras. With all the segmented-LED lights we have, it'd be nice if, while the light is green, the yellow light would come on with a countdown number signifying the count of seconds until the light is going to change to yellow, and the same for red. A countdown to green could be nice but I think it'd promote more aggressive driving. I would mainly want it for safety.