Maplehamwich

[H]ard|Gawd
url

Launch Trailer

Steam Page

Torchlight 2 Launches September 20, 2012 10AM [EST]

Official Website

Forums

Runic Games will be doing an AMA on Reddit September 19th @ 5pm [est].
XjDjA.jpg

Ask all your pre-launch questions! When the AMA is done, I will go through and choose some Q&A's that I feel are particularly appropriate for this thread.
Here is the AMA URL: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/105md1/we_are_the_runic_games_dev_team_creators_of/

Quick Facts
- 6 Player Coop
- Offline/Singleplayer Characters can Play Online

Selected AMA Q&A's
DeiruB said:
Do you plan on doing regular content updates after release, and if so, what type of content could we expect?

Yes, we want to do more content post launch. For level design specifically, new map scrolls for endgame, phase beast portal rooms, and more variations of already existing levels so there is even more randomization where we feel it is beneficial. We will just have to wait and see how fans react, and what they ask for and try to accommodate if we can.
-Patrick Blank

The current plan is to do a few free things that we'll release to everyone over the coming months - a pet, some new items, a random map set, and things like that.
-Travis Baldree

ludwigericsson said:
Will you charge for extra content at any point?

We currently have zero plans to charge for additional content. I don't even know how we would, given the moddability of the game. -Travis Baldree

Thehateisstrong said:
Thank you for the AMA.
-Will you go into some detail on how magic find (MF) works in a multiplayer game? Is the drop based on the MF of whichever player gets the last hit or opens the chest? Is it based on your own MF regardless of who gets the last hit? If your pet has any MF how does this interact with your MF in regards to last hits, etc.?
-Are any legendaries restricted to a certain class?
-What were some classes/pets that were discussed but that did not make it into the game?
-Why does heal bot despawn whenever the player zones? Is this intentinal? Does it effect other summons?
-If your pet or summon gets a last hit on a mob does this count towards unlocking an augment or does the player have to get the last hit?

-Magicfind is not shared - each player applies magicfind to drops that roll for them. No kill credit is required - but you must be in the drop range for shared loot (several screens)
-There are no current class-restricted legendaries.
-Some robot pets didn't quite make it in, and there were numerous variations of the classes. At one point the Berserker was supposed to also use Dragon and Raven magic.
-The heal bot despawns during zoning because there's no other way to actually despawn him!
-Currently the player must deliver the blow to power an augment. We have talked about altering this, but it would be post-release if we do

-Travis Baldree

Freikorp said:
What is the most important difference compared to Torchlight you want fans to know about?

Torchlight 2 has 6 player co-op.
-Patrick Blank

majerer880 said:
Did you make any changes to Torchlight II based on how Diablo 3 players reacted to the changes Blizzard implemented to the Diablo franchise.
If so, what changes were made as a result?

With all honestly I can say I can't think of a single thing we changed. We knew what game we were making and by the time Diablo 3 came out there was little time to change the core mechanics of our game. ( we had to be out by end of summer! )
-Marsh Lefler

Actually, not a whole lot. Given the direction of their game versus what we were doing, their design decisions didn't really end up affecting ours. This biggest change I believe we made in response was renaming our first dungeon because it was also named the Defiled Crypt.
-Matt Tanwanteng (Tiamat)

jumcclure said:
I noticed that Torchlight 1 is now released on Linux. (Thanks HumbleBundle!) When will Torchlight 2 release for Linux?

That's on the agenda as something to discuss, but we're a small team that doesn't know much about Linux and don't want to grow or take on busy work. That said, we know there is a demand and we do like to please.
-Erich Schaefer

selquist979 said:
Why did you choose to release the game during the day vs a midnight release?

The real answer is so that we aren't up at midnight responding to any potential issues - we want to be fresh and ready to watch over the launch! There have been a lot of sleepless nights here and we need a little bit of rest in advance.
-Travis Baldree

zipperumpazoo said:
How does the game handle the level of the mobs in multiplayer (it's setted on the host level, the strongest is "nerfed" to fit the game etc..) and the loot's level? Btw awesome game guys!

Loot level is determined by the monster that drops it - Monster level is set by region level ( which is within a very tight range determined by the first player to enter ). Difficulty of mobs alters dynamically based on the proximity of players to one another.
-Travis Baldree

shitsonmcshittinton said:
Are there any plans on releasing modding tools and/or using the steam workshop for player mods? Also, the game looks fantastic and I can't wait to play!

Yes to both, although we can't give you a specific release date for the mod kit just yet.
-Travis Baldree

ruccola said:
Hi guys, really looking forward to the game! Any word on when we Mac using people can get our hands on it?

We don't have a date for the Mac version yet, but will announce as soon as it is pinned down
-Travis Baldree

d3r3k1 said:
How is the enchanting going to work in tl2? will there be a chance of disenchant still?

There is no longer a disenchant chance, but the number of enchants is capped per Enchanter. You can choose to wipe ONLY enchantment-bestowed effects and try again if you like.
-Travis Baldree

MapleHamwich said:
On the eve of the game's release, what feature/item/quest/or other thing are you most excited/scared/nervous to hear the community's feedback on?

There are a few easter eggs I'm curious to hear peoples reactions about. o_O
-Patrick Blank

There's tons of information in the AMA. If you want more, go digging!

Reviews
I will edit and update this post with reviews as they come.

AusGamers - Rating 90/100
Co-Optimus - Rating 5/5 Overall; 5/5 Co-Op
Examiner - Rating 5/5
GamerLiving - Rating: 5/5
Gameranx - Rating 10/10
Gamingtrend - Rating 95/100
GameSpy - Rating 5/5
IGN - Rating 9.1/10
IncGamers - Rating 9/10
Joystiq - Rating 4.5/5
Kotaku - Rating: You Should Play This Game.
PC Gamer - Rating 88/100
The Controller Online - Rating 10/10
The Gamers Hub - Rating 4/5
Venture Beat - Rating 85/100

Metacritic Score

Last edited:
I suppose we needed a better thread title than "Any word on Torchlight ][ release ?".

Not sure if I should bother with this game or not. It looks fun, but I really have a history of playing ~2hours of similar games then going back to Dota -_-

If ARPGs are not your thing then no, you probably shouldn't get it.

Though, if you think you might like it, for $20 it's not a huge loss if you don't.

Torchlight 1 was the first and only ARPG I've played and I loved. I'm very much looking forward to playing this.

One thing that I absolutely hated about Torchlight was a shitty storyline... Couldn't really get into the game because of that.

What's amazing, Torchlight 2 seems to be about the same or even worse in that aspect, according to the Kotaku thread. Certainly worse than Diablo 3, which itself had a goofy and worthless storyline. Ohhh, Maghda, you so scary!

Ehh, hack'n'slash is really fun but there's got to be a decent story.

I loved the first one... kind of stuck on BL2 atm but I wanna try this one also. maybe if I do the omegaman sleep pattern thing I can make time for gaming and work. ;)

Been looking forward to this. I wish they would have gotten it out sooner as now I have to divide my limited time between both GW2 and TL2 but I'm glad it actually came to fruition! The first one kept me entertained for awhile and I'm sure this one will as well.

I wonder if it launches eastern time or what.. I hope we don't have to wait for PDT because I'm really wanting to play it tonight.

I really want to play torchlight 2. Problem is that guild wars 2 just came out, Borderlands 2 just came out and for some reason I started playing skyrim again. Just no time until later this year.

I am very nearly in the same boat, relapse. With BL2 consuming my interest right now and XCOM and Carrier Command both coming out soon, I will be hard pressed to play them all.

Still don't know if I want to get this. The first Torchlight got really boring after a few hours.

It's all or nothing..

Either no games worthwhile are released for Weeks, and sometimes months, then BAM! Too much...

I wasn't going to get this because i have way too many games to play and such little time but I ended up getting the 4 pack lol. I gifted them to my brothers who just had birthdays and another friend who also had a recent birthday and I kept a copy for myself.

It's all or nothing..

Either no games worthwhile are released for Weeks, and sometimes months, then BAM! Too much...

And it dont help, end of calendar year is when a lot of good games are released and people buying.

can't decide what class I want to use on my first playthrough........engineer or outlander?

I'll probably end up getting this one... for $20 why not. I am sure I will find time for it. :)

If anyones looking for someone to play with.group up with feel free to hit me up!

This looks very promising, I was playing a very simple ARPG on my Samsung Galaxy S3 the other day and was thinking, man I need the beefier real deal, thought about getting back into Diablo 3 but now that I am working full time again I don't have as much time.

Read the reviews and pre-ordered Torchlight 2, stinks cause I just started my mid shift today here at work, so I won't be home for probably another 9 hours... And I can't wait to play it!

Was really looking forward to this, but when GW2 released, my hype died down a bit. Thought about pre-ordering it lately, but just looked and saw that I must have already pre-ordered it. :D Yay!

game is unlocked, Runic is getting hammered though, I'm unable to create an Internet game...pretty much expected this though. I'm sure they'll have it sorted shortly...

At least they've said that single player and LAN games should work right now. As for me, it still shows just 'PRE-LOAD" on Steam. :/

At least they've said that single player and LAN games should work right now. As for me, it still shows just 'PRE-LOAD" on Steam. :/

You might need to restart Steam if you haven't done that already.

Got a buddy that has even restarted his PC and still getting the preload error. Any ideas what else he should try?

Only played the first 10mins before heading to work and I'm already loving what they've done with T2. I'm totally impressed with the in-game animation, especially the pet animations. They've done a fantastic job.

From all accounts the storyline is supposedly pretty weak, but that's not the selling point of T2 for me. Its the loot hoarding, hack-n-slash carnage of a polished ARPG and it looks like Torchlight 2 will deliver that in spades!

This weekend is gonna be awesome. Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 2, Torchlight 2 - It's the attack of the two's!

Only played the first 10mins before heading to work and I'm already loving what they've done with T2. I'm totally impressed with the in-game animation, especially the pet animations. They've done a fantastic job.

From all accounts the storyline is supposedly pretty weak, but that's not the selling point of T2 for me. Its the loot hoarding, hack-n-slash carnage of a polished ARPG and it looks like Torchlight 2 will deliver that in spades!

Yep, straight dungeon crawl with minimal 'do this to proceed' checkpoints.

Now, if a mod kit is released... :cool:

I can't wait to get home and play.

I got wife out of town and lots of games to play this weekend... should be good. :)

anyone know what they patched? Couldn't find the patch note.

Back