Tomb Raider reboot will make PC gamers "very, very happy"

Really? It made no difference on my setup whatsoever.

What numbers are you getting? And what settings are you using?

I want to say you should be getting slightly better (or similar?) numbers to me, but we all know the driver differences between the companies can be a make or break deal.

Well, I'm playing at 1920x1080 at Ultimate settings (including TressFX), and before the last patch (not the most recent one) there was general slowness but no major issues. However, after the patch I started getting massive slowdown when you zoom in on Lara's head, both in general camera angles and when aiming with any weapon (which obviously makes it hard to play).

I haven't checked numbers but I'm still getting the same big-time slowdown when you aim or zoom in with the latest drivers and patch. Seems like they messed up something with that one patch and still haven't fixed it.

Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million copies, failed to hit expectations...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

what?...I'm shocked...hopefully good word of mouth will help increase sales over the next few months...shocking that a PC game done right can fail to hit sales goals while crap like CoD continues to break records

I hear dripping sarcasm in the last part of that statement. ;)

I think this game kicks ass and I've done everything I know how shy of pimping it and shilling it point blank.

Today's numbers, published in Square Enix's latest financial report, do not count digital sales.

Still?!?! That's a nice chunk of sales missing right there.

I wonder if they count the AMD bundles as copies sold. I know a lot of people, myself included, got them from someone selling their AMD bundle.

I wonder if they count the AMD bundles as copies sold. I know a lot of people, myself included, got them from someone selling their AMD bundle.

Don't know. But if you see my edit they still aren't counting digital sales which is a huge chunk of people right off the bat.

Don't know. But if you see my edit they still aren't counting digital sales which is a huge chunk of people right off the bat.

yeah it makes no sense why they don't include digital sales...what they're really trying to say is that PC sales don't matter and it's all about how it sells on consoles

yeah it makes no sense why they don't include digital sales...what they're really trying to say is that PC sales don't matter and it's all about how it sells on consoles

Exactly. I'd wager that at least half of PC game sales are digital...

Exactly. I'd wager that at least half of PC game sales are digital...

probably more...nowadays every game seems to require Steam, Origin etc so it makes little sense to get a boxed version of any game unless you're into Collector's Editions

Did you guys see the load of DLC on the Steam store? Cheap, but wow that is a lot of DLC!

Amazon is selling Collector's Editions of the game for the 360 discounted today. Think Square is trying to make up that almost 100 million loss?

I still know some people that buy boxed only games and one that just recently converted after buying a game and only getting a key in his disc case.

Just got the new update on Steam and downloaded the new NVIDIA driver and it works perfectly with TressFX, before that it was close to unplayable.

Really? It made no difference on my setup whatsoever.

I got a pretty big boost from this too, and I'm still on a single 560ti. before on everything ultra besides normal shadows with tressfx on, it would dip to the 20s whenever you get close to her face, now it stays around 50 on the benchmark at least. didn't test it in game since I don't like the effect, but that's a huge improvement in stability. either way I would rather be able to run everything on ultra pinned at 60 than have a bunch of fake looking straw flying around her head. the default hair rendering looks way more realistic with some weight to it, probably since it's a rendered as a single mesh in a ponytail.

I've come to like the TressFX, so the performance dips are disappointing to me. Plus the fact that it seems to have run better near her head before all the patches...

Fully upgraded bow is so much fun. You can headshot kill even the most armored guys, and through the weak mobs, the arrow just go through and hit next ones. Basically I was using only bow and shotgun (for close range kills and execution moves), rest of weapons I didn't touch.

And I really hope they make few good DLCs and the Tomb Raider 2.

Fully upgraded bow is so much fun. You can headshot kill even the most armored guys, and through the weak mobs, the arrow just go through and hit next ones. Basically I was using only bow and shotgun (for close range kills and execution moves), rest of weapons I didn't touch.

And I really hope they make few good DLCs and the Tomb Raider 2.

That's one thing this game did very well. I was motivated to go OCD so I can could get all the sweet upgrades. Lara was like Agent 47 after a point with some of the weapons and what I was doing. ;)

I want TR2 to use the same engine but basically be a third person Skyrim type game sans the quests and what not, just a huge world completely open.

Shit I would say at least 75% at this point. I don't know anyone personally who buys boxed PC games anymore.

This. I didn't even realize boxed PC games are still a thing. I can't even remember the last PC game I bought from a brick-n-mortar, Medal Of Honor:Allied Assault maybe?

I buy boxed games, because they are cheaper than Steam. I paid for Tomb Raider equivalent of $40 in my currency (same for Bioshock Infinite). At Steam, I'd have to pay twice that price. That's what you get for having other currency than USD and euro :) - luckily publishing companies in Poland treat us well in prices of game.

Right now about 120 PLN (about $40) is standard price of retail box in here. Origin prices are very close to those, but Steam are insane - games at Steam, with currency rates would be 240 PLN for the very same edition, that is in retail box.

This. I didn't even realize boxed PC games are still a thing. I can't even remember the last PC game I bought from a brick-n-mortar, Medal Of Honor:Allied Assault maybe?

hey now. I just bought Starcraft Heart of the Swarm from a box because i need those freaking notepads!!!!!!!

digital download is very convenient but I do miss my game trophies boxes. :)

never really played Tomb Raider... but I've always thought of the game as "Boob Raider".. logic was always, "I mean, c'mon, why do you think people play that game anyway? :D"

Just finished. Played around in some spots for a bit and took my time (and played on and off) - (less than) 15 hours, 80%. Fun game, would play again.

I didn't see this posted yet (may have missed it) but they appear to have just added a bunch of DLC stuff to Steam, pretty much just "upgrades" and outfits for singleplayer.

Just got through the half way point. Still enjoying the game and look forward to booting it up every chance I get. They seem to have left the QTEs behind which is nice. Even this far along in the game I still notice how well everything works; the camera, controls, leaping across chasms, climbing shear faces, shuffling along the edge of an abyss dangling by your hands. It never gets old! The cool weapons and excellent enemy AI make for exciting combat. Still stopping to admire the beauty of the vistas and detail of the graphics. The game looks great! even on the PS3.

Finding tombs to raid. There have been a couple I haven't been able to crack for being too dumb to figure out the puzzle, lol. But the tombs are a fun part of the game. Going back over previous territory looking for areas and items I missed the first time through is a nice break from the intense battling of the main story. The enemies don't respawn, so I can explore unmolested.

All in all so far this has been a pretty sweet package, really glad I picked it up!

never really played Tomb Raider... but I've always thought of the game as "Boob Raider".. logic was always, "I mean, c'mon, why do you think people play that game anyway? :D"

I can't understand why you would think that...

8ghV5ZE.jpg

She's not just a body!

I can't understand why you would think that...

8ghV5ZE.jpg

She's not just a body!
The boobs and any sexual innuendo are totally not the focus here

600full-lara-croft----tomb-raider-%28special-collector%27s-edition%29-cover.jpg

Tomb_Raider_-_Anniversary%2C_2007.jpg

181202-tombraidercoverpsxpal.jpg

tomb_raider__the_angel_of_d____custom_pc_dvd_cover_by_djblackpearl-d5h6fna.jpg

Tomb-Raider-Underworld-Front-Cover-12084.jpg

Lara-Croft-Tomb-Raider.jpg

tomb-raider-underworld-front-cover-13145.jpg

Tomb-Raider-Underworld2.jpg

I'm willing to wager that at least 95% of the male population that pickup or look at this game (including its box cover or screenshots or other) first notice the big boobs, tight short pans, and then wish their girlfriend/wife was Lara Croft or hotter. :D

This is one of the things that surprised me about the new Tomb Raider and the lack of sexual based marketing (baring the attempted rape scene that caused all kinds of havoc). Lara is well crafted in this game, but no where near what she use to be (still a very attractive character). And I don't mind in the slightest.

EDIT: Some of the marketing almost looked like they were marketing the new game towards women (women's lib types), especially picture and scenes that resembled "The Decent" and "I Spit On Your Grave".

This is one of the things that surprised me about the new Tomb Raider and the lack of sexual based marketing (baring the attempted rape scene that caused all kinds of havoc). Lara is well crafted in this game, but no where near what she use to be (still a very attractive character). And I don't mind in the slightest.

EDIT: Some of the marketing almost looked like they were marketing the new game towards women (women's lib types), especially picture and scenes that resembled "The Decent" and "I Spit On Your Grave".

I think i missed any reference to "I spit on your grave" in this game...

So I finished the game a couple days ago and wanted to go back to collect items I missed but when I go to continue it just loads me up at a camp I can't fast travel from. Am I missing something? Other than that it's a great game!

The DLC is fucking dumb. $20 more dollars you have to spend to get all of it, makes the game essentially $70 now. No thank you. The game is awesome, but I'm not paying for DLC.

The DLC is fucking dumb. $20 more dollars you have to spend to get all of it, makes the game essentially $70 now. No thank you. The game is awesome, but I'm not paying for DLC.

I guess that weak 3.4 million game sales to date needs to be made up somewhere :D

So I finished the game a couple days ago and wanted to go back to collect items I missed but when I go to continue it just loads me up at a camp I can't fast travel from. Am I missing something? Other than that it's a great game!

You're at a daycamp as opposed to a fast traveling camp, I think the visual difference is a sleeping mat and somewhat larger camp.

You will have to go forward or backward to a larger camp to fast travel. I had the same thing happen to me, I thought you could fast travel at all the camps. I never actually fast traveled until after I beat the game and was looking for everything.

If anyone here wants it I have the pistoland animal instinct pre order codes, just pm me.

Those that were complaining about the Lens Flare effect, update just released adds an option to remove it.

Those that were complaining about the Lens Flare effect, update just released adds an option to remove it.

As far as I can tell the patch only allows you to remove blood and water effects on the screen, not lens flares. I played the game with the Screen Effects off and still got lens flares.

New fixes in 732.1:

- Fixed an issue in ”Chasm Monastery” where the player cannot progress after fighting the Oni.
- New community requested graphics option ‘Screen Effects’ to disable camera-based full screen effects like water and blood drops.
- Fixed last campsite save not always updating when expected.
- Various small optimizations.
- Various minor UI fixes.
- Minor graphics fixes.

Back