Tomb Raider reboot will make PC gamers "very, very happy"

I thought R* went a little nuts with throwing tons and tons (Neo v.s. a hundred Smiths come to mind in Matrix: Reloaded) of mooks at you in the last chapters. It kind of ruined the enjoyment of the game for me. Other than that, solid buy for 10 bucks. Looks pretty damn good too.

Eh? R* didn't make it, it's a Eidos/Crystal dynamics game.

Last edited:
do people have a reason for hating on QTE's ? I dont mind them at all. they are cool in moderation. I felt like TR had a good amount but not too many either

My problem with them is that they take over the gameplay 100%. Not only that but a specific QTE fight or encounter will never change, which kills replay value.

You sure? The tombs I have entered have had the most challenging puzzles in the game so far. If you're looking for more puzzle solving game play you may want to go back and enter the tombs

I dunno, maybe it comes from playing old school adventure games and such as a kid but the three tombs I bothered with only took about 5 minutes to finish.

Most of that time was not trying to figure out a puzzle, it was more of getting the timing just right which isn't really isn't a puzzle. The reward was not worth it for me either so I focused on the story which I had fun with.

The wind tomb with the shutters as another mentioned earlier was fun to look at but really easy to get through once you got the timing right. There was no challenge to discover or find, more of an obvious path and see what the crank does. Then time it and your done.

I'm not asking for an insane challenge, just something that requires more thought. Maybe some of the later tombs had that and if so I may check them out. I do not feel cheated though just that they were pointless for me. Maybe if they had written some of them into the story and made them longer or required me to go through some of them for a map or an item it would have been more fun.

As another said as well I hope they change it up a bit for the next game. The QTE's were not bothersome for me in this one but if continued I don't thing they will find as much success.

I got this game on release day, finished it and loved it. Now playing through it again with 3D Vision, and it's so much better.

+1 for a great game. I took a quick scan of some of the recent posts, seems to be a lot of hating on QTE. Maybe I'm a shallow, easily pleased cancer to gaming, but I loved the action-feel of the game, even if it was scripted and full of QTEs. Wouldn't change a thing.

This was my first tomb raider game and really liked it one of my all time favorites I would say.

This was my first tomb raider game and really liked it one of my all time favorites I would say.

If the originals weren't full of pixelated blocks and flat vegetation, I'd recommend you give the originals a try. Man those were some of the best puzzle levels I ever played.

I finished this last night. I enjoyed it. Lot's of QTEs but it didn't bother me.

I did not get 100% completion and may play through some areas to find what I was missing. I would have no problem getting their next game (if one comes out) as it was a fun play through and definitely worth the summer sale price I paid for it.

I finished this last night. I enjoyed it. Lot's of QTEs but it didn't bother me.

I did not get 100% completion and may play through some areas to find what I was missing. I would have no problem getting their next game (if one comes out) as it was a fun play through and definitely worth the summer sale price I paid for it.

I haven't finished it yet, but I'm getting close. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It may not be like the old Lara Croft games, but it is what it is, and I really enjoy it. I'm definitely looking forward to this progressing as a natural franchise. Lot's of opportunity for cool stories and engaging gameplay with some beautiful graphics.

I've been playing and I've been enjoying it. I've been mostly impressed with how well the game runs. I'm running a GTX 780 and I basically set graphics to Ultra and then set hair and shadows to normal and am using 2X SSAA and it maintains 60FPS and doesn't stutter AT ALL. Also, the cut scenes aren't videos and they don't stutter either.

I'm also impressed with the gameplay mechanics and combat mechanics, they're not tedious at all and I've enjoyed playing the game with a gamepad. My only gripe is that I wish there was the option to increase the camera movement speed; aim speed can be increased. The story is also interesting and, while I'm about 75% through (including most of the fetch items), I'm hoping I get to put an explosive arrow in that TV guy's head.

They're absolutely the lowest form of gameplay imaginable. There's no skill involved, just mindless repetition and tedium. There's no sense of accomplishment whatsoever. It's usually just a trashy attempt to make up for the fact that a game is over-saturated with cut scenes and thin on actual gameplay. Tell a player to mash this key during a cut scene, and they can imagine that they're making some meaningful contribution to the course of the game and not just watching a bunch of pre-scripted shite.

I totally agree and would only add that they tend to appear when a game designer wants to play at being a movie director, at the expense of actual gameplay. David Cage is the absolute epitome of that, but the TR reboot definitely suffered from it as well.

do people have a reason for hating on QTE's ? I dont mind them at all. they are cool in moderation. I felt like TR had a good amount but not too many either

QTE was the only bad part in the new Tomb Raider that I hated.

Rest of the game was great.

heyyyy!!! just finished for the third time! right now! oh-my-god, what a great game! seriously! did 100% on the go like the other two gameplays, finished with everything maxed out and two skill points and 2798 salvage to spare, no place to use it :p, everything (skills, gear) were maxed out at the beach. snuffed e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, including birds, rats, crabs, deer, etc.. island = depopulated, and im all fucking happy! :D

This is currently the game in my backlog that I'm working on. Really fun, though I feel there are a bit too many cutscenes/QTEs overall. It seems like in certain places you will walk 5 steps before triggering another cutscene. However, the game overall is excellent. I'm not really sure what the motivation is to get 100% of all collectibles, though, as I've only gotten ~60% in most areas and I have most of the skills and stuff unlocked already.

This is currently the game in my backlog that I'm working on. Really fun, though I feel there are a bit too many cutscenes/QTEs overall. It seems like in certain places you will walk 5 steps before triggering another cutscene. However, the game overall is excellent. I'm not really sure what the motivation is to get 100% of all collectibles, though, as I've only gotten ~60% in most areas and I have most of the skills and stuff unlocked already.

I did enough completion to get the full story line which was fun. Gave some history and back story to some of the characters and events on the island.

I thought that getting 100% in this game was fairly easy. The game itself is enjoyable and doing the side tasks was simple enough. Some of the things were difficult to find but I'm no hardcore gamer and I managed to find everything.

i hope they push it a little bit more on the next one, like shes starving and she has to cook and eat a human corpse or something, it would be pretty cool, then when we play the older games we're gonna think: "Lara Croft.. shes hot and sexy and refined and educated, beautiful, athletic and rich.... mass murderer, shes also a cannibal".

:p

The amount of cutscenes and QTEs is definitely too much through the beginning of the game. But I thought the pacing of cutscenes was appropriate once you got about 25-33% through the game. All the cutscenes are skippable, too. As far as QTEs go in this game, I really thought they should have just gone with a cutscene. They are really out of place in this game and add nothing of value to the experience.

The only collectible in this game that was worthless in my opinion were the GPS caches. I think they should have added the challenge locations at least to reward the people who found them. Instead all you get is a measley 5XP per, without even having a large bonus when collecting a set like the other collectibles. You also get a reward of around 1000 salvage after collecting all of them in the game, but by the time you collect the last one you will already have collected more than enough to modify all of your weapons.

But I think the relics and documents all add backstory to the island that is worthwile. And the challenges all bring some sort of platforming aspect you might not otherwise engage in while also being satisfying.

All of the above is just my opinion, of course :).

I dunno, maybe it comes from playing old school adventure games and such as a kid but the three tombs I bothered with only took about 5 minutes to finish.

Most of that time was not trying to figure out a puzzle, it was more of getting the timing just right which isn't really isn't a puzzle. The reward was not worth it for me either so I focused on the story which I had fun with.

The wind tomb with the shutters as another mentioned earlier was fun to look at but really easy to get through once you got the timing right. There was no challenge to discover or find, more of an obvious path and see what the crank does. Then time it and your done.

I'm not asking for an insane challenge, just something that requires more thought. Maybe some of the later tombs had that and if so I may check them out. I do not feel cheated though just that they were pointless for me. Maybe if they had written some of them into the story and made them longer or required me to go through some of them for a map or an item it would have been more fun.

As another said as well I hope they change it up a bit for the next game. The QTE's were not bothersome for me in this one but if continued I don't thing they will find as much success.

I completely agree about the tombs, there needs to be a little more emphasis on solving puzzles in the next game. The action is great, but it would have been nice to have better tombs, none of them lasted more than a couple of minutes. And at the end of each one I always found myself thinking "that's it?"

I completely agree about the tombs, there needs to be a little more emphasis on solving puzzles in the next game. The action is great, but it would have been nice to have better tombs, none of them lasted more than a couple of minutes.

i totally (fully entirely) agree!

The amount of cutscenes and QTEs is definitely too much through the beginning of the game. But I thought the pacing of cutscenes was appropriate once you got about 25-33% through the game. All the cutscenes are skippable, too. As far as QTEs go in this game, I really thought they should have just gone with a cutscene. They are really out of place in this game and add nothing of value to the experience.

The only collectible in this game that was worthless in my opinion were the GPS caches. I think they should have added the challenge locations at least to reward the people who found them. Instead all you get is a measley 5XP per, without even having a large bonus when collecting a set like the other collectibles. You also get a reward of around 1000 salvage after collecting all of them in the game, but by the time you collect the last one you will already have collected more than enough to modify all of your weapons.

But I think the relics and documents all add backstory to the island that is worthwile. And the challenges all bring some sort of platforming aspect you might not otherwise engage in while also being satisfying.

All of the above is just my opinion, of course :).

Fair enough, you make a good point. :) I do agree that the GPS caches seem useless.

All you guys who "LOVED" this game.

What did you think about God of War on PS2 -- or the series

That series was WAYYYYYYYYYY better to me than this game.

or even Tomb Raider Legends - which to me was a lot more fun to play through than this game.

All you guys who "LOVED" this game.

What did you think about God of War on PS2 -- or the series

That series was WAYYYYYYYYYY better to me than this game.

or even Tomb Raider Legends - which to me was a lot more fun to play through than this game.

They aren't even close to being similar...

LOL, yeah...spectacle fighter vs third person action/exploration...seems the same to me.

action adventure genre. clearly...

they are close to similar in my opinion -- if you break each genre down into miniscule sub genres they can be as vast as you want - but action adventure fits both pretty fairly.

And you didn't answer my question. God of War - the original was absolutely epic. Each of those games have been titles I had a hard time putting down once I engaged. Maybe it's just me - - - but this game in comparison is something I'm finishing just to do it and I don't really care much about it. So I'm wondering if those who LOVE this game have tried the others I mention -- that I personally think are far superior.

action adventure genre. clearly...

they are close to similar in my opinion -- if you break each genre down into miniscule sub genres they can be as vast as you want - but action adventure fits both pretty fairly.

And you didn't answer my question. God of War - the original was absolutely epic. Each of those games have been titles I had a hard time putting down once I engaged. Maybe it's just me - - - but this game in comparison is something I'm finishing just to do it and I don't really care much about it. So I'm wondering if those who LOVE this game have tried the others I mention -- that I personally think are far superior.

They're not even close. Oregon Trail is in the same genre because you go hunting?

I do like God of War. They're fantastic games but Ascension sucked. Was terrible.

Personally, i think god of war is a much better tomb raider game then this reboot is.

Last edited:
Did they add the definitive addition Lara titties to this game or do I have to buy a console to experience them?

I just started playing it again yesterday. I need to turn it up to hard, though. I'm killing dudes way too easily.

They're not even close. Oregon Trail is in the same genre because you go hunting?

I do like God of War. They're fantastic games but Ascension sucked. Was terrible.

did you even play these two games?

Ledge jumping, exploring, finding treasure chests, killing various baddies, Quick Time events, upgrading weapons, interacting with the environment in increasingly complex ways, acrobatic based movement, puzzles, third person camera.

How are they sooooooooo different you couldn't even see the similarities and would rip Oregon Trail out of the air as a equal comparison.

good grief

I'm a when i have an hour here and there type of gamer, and I usually focus on FPS Type games. I got this free with an AMD card. It took me a little bit to get the feel of the game and get into it, but I'm glad I kept playing because the game sucked me in to the point that I found myself making more free time to play through this.

I can't wait to play the next game in the series.. but they definitely need more tombs to raid and a bit more focus on exploration.

did you even play these two games?

Ledge jumping, exploring, finding treasure chests, killing various baddies, Quick Time events, upgrading weapons, interacting with the environment in increasingly complex ways, acrobatic based movement, puzzles, third person camera.

How are they sooooooooo different you couldn't even see the similarities and would rip Oregon Trail out of the air as a equal comparison.

good grief

Did you? One is hack n slash, the other is a shooter. They are "soooooooo" different. If you don't think so, you need to play more games.

Maximus825....that's silly.

People Call Diablo 3 a hack in slash.

The games are way more alike in genre than different... I've been playing games since 1989 when I was 10 and we got our first computer. I like grand genre categories.

It was an excellent entry level Tomb Raider reboot. Good game, maybe even a great game, but has room for improvement. Cut back on the QTEs, introduce more randomness in the gameplay thereby increasing the replay value. Expand the actual tomb raiding to the next level, these tombs were way to small. Combat and shooting the bow was fun. Exploration and navigating environments was fun. Puzzles were fun. Graphics were great, Lara was great.

Back