Tomb Raider reboot will make PC gamers "very, very happy"

I'm running everything as high as possible, including tesselation, but no TressFX, and DoF at normal, FXAA of course. Smooth as butter. Also using 310 WHQL drivers still. Any updates in the newer drivers for this game?

In my opinion, this game shits all over Far Cry 3 in the first 10 f'n minutes.

Only nit-pick so far, but when you're running at the beginning and w/e the fuck is trying to grab you that causes you to have to do the left/right QTE, followed by the circle that closes into a red dot, WHAT ON EARTH are you supposed to do? I died 5 times in a row and gave up, going to work.

Press F when the outer circle touches the inner one. The game tells you this at the worst possible place, the bottom of the screen. I didn't notice the prompt until after I looked up WTF to do.

don't you guys customize your key bindings?...I see a lot of people keeping all the default keys...I never use all of the default bindings in any game mainly because I don't use WSAD for movement but prefer the arrow keys to the left of the numpad

I know a lot of you die hard PC gamers wont like this but Tomb Raider is fantastic with an Xbox controller. The rumble support makes it a lot more immersive. It has deep integration too, so it doesn't seem like a controller is an afterthought.

don't you guys customize your key bindings?...I see a lot of people keeping all the default keys...I never use all of the default bindings in any game mainly because I don't use WSAD for movement but prefer the arrow keys to the left of the numpad

The only time I customize controls is if I find them annoying or uncomfortable. Despite being a lefty I grew up using a mouse in my right hand. I'm used to it by now. Most game's default controls don't bother me.

I know a lot of you die hard PC gamers wont like this but Tomb Raider is fantastic with an Xbox controller. The rumble support makes it a lot more immersive. It has deep integration too, so it doesn't seem like a controller is an afterthought.

I'll probably try it with a controller at some point, just see how it feels. Doubt I'll stick with it, but we'll see.

I just ran the benchmark with my GTX 580...with TressFX disabled my average fps improves by 14...so not too big of a hit

something's wrong with the game menu because it doesn't tell me to restart the game once I change my graphics settings (such as TressFX)

tress fx enabled everything else at ultra at 3800x1920:

min fps: 2.2
max fps: 36.6
avg fps: 23.1

tress fx disabled everything else at ultra at 3800x1920:

min fps: 4.8
max fps: 54.5
avg fps: 48.5

Something I noticed with TressFX enabled is my second card hovers around 50% usage while the first is at around 95%. With TressFX disabled both cards are around 95%. Need new drivers I think. Also I personally dont like the look of TressFX. I mean come on, she's covered in mud but her hair is still perfect? right...

This game has the best overall graphics I've ever seen. The only downside is that the audio is just OK. Audio as a whole is kind of weak but positional audio is fantastic. Game play is very good and so far eclipses Uncharted.

So whats the consensus so far? Is it a good game, worth paying the full price?

So whats the consensus so far? Is it a good game, worth paying the full price?

I'm coming from playing Xbox exclusively for the past six years but I'd say yeah, It's a top notch game so far.

Why are people playing this with a keyboard/mouse? Today's going to be a long day at work.

any reviews say how long the game is? i got burnt on crysis 3 being so short. debating waiting for this to go on sale or get it now.

but i don't want another 4.5hour campaign.

the hunting in Tomb Raider makes me appreciate Assassin's Creed 3 even more...AC3 did it waaay better...the UI could also use a bit of an improvement...TressFX definitely looks nice but overall you really need to be concentrating on her hair at all times to notice...I wouldn't go out of my way to get an AMD card just for this...I like the game but it doesn't seem very focused early on

I am waiting for my AMD code, anyone here get theirs yet?

Also what is the concensus, controller on KB? 3rd person games can work either or, Im playing alan wake and its unplayable on the kb so i am using an xbox controller.

For the people asking about full price, you can get tomb raider for 25-30 dollars from people that bought AMD cards, along with pretty positive reviews I think this is a YES.

My problem with the game, from what little I've played, is that the entire world apparently hates Lara Croft. It feels as if everything crumbles, blows up, or falls down not because the area is naturally perilous, but because the environment can't stand Lara and wants her dead.

I guess they went a little overboard with the dynamic scenes.

How is graphics compared to something like Max Payne 3? Based on few posts here, it seems like its better?

I'd say they are better and 360 controller all the way for this one.

Works fine with keyboard and mouse for me, in fact, I hate controllers so much, that even if this was the worst KB/M game on earth, I'd still use a KB/M. Fuck toggle sticks.

Also the hair looks absolutely fine without that shit they call TressFX, we've never had it before, and it certainly isn't necessary to enjoy this particular game. Hell, half the time you're dodging the elements you don't even notice anything BUT trying to survive. I guess it's fine for those people that like to stand there and stare at shit for 4 hours instead of actually playing the game.

Will try the Melee thing when circle is closing, but I swear I tried 5 times...is it E or F?

I usually play with kbm but some games are just not good, alan wake is unplayable. I tried (I even play rayman with the keyboard and thats really a controller game). I will try kbm for this first for sure.

Anyone get their AMD codes or what?

I usually play with kbm but some games are just not good, alan wake is unplayable. I tried (I even play rayman with the keyboard and thats really a controller game). I will try kbm for this first for sure.

No issues with Alan Wake on my setup, in fact, I beat the game 3 times with just a KB/M. What was so unplayable?

Also the hair looks absolutely fine without that shit they call TressFX, we've never had it before, and it certainly isn't necessary to enjoy this particular game. Hell, half the time you're dodging the elements you don't even notice anything BUT trying to survive. I guess it's fine for those people that like to stand there and stare at shit for 4 hours instead of actually playing the game.

With that mindset might as well as play in Playstation 1 graphics... :p

Really though, I havent seen TressFX in action yet but I guess it will be like Ambient Occlusion. Subtle effect that you barely notice, but after using it for a while you'll miss it when its not around. We have long gone beyond "Wow factor" when it comes to improvements to graphics, its all about subtleties and small details now. (atleast for the moment anyway) And higher resolution and higher resolution textures of course.

Really though, I havent seen TressFX in action yet but I guess it will be like Ambient Occlusion. Subtle effect that you barely notice, but after using it for a while you'll miss it when its not around. We have long gone beyond "Wow factor" when it comes to improvements to graphics, its all about subtleties and small details now. (atleast for the moment anyway) And higher resolution and higher resolution textures of course.

No doubt, but when it kills performance as much as it does, I can do without it. Ambient Occlusion is a joke as well, as it adds nothing more than the smallest of the small details, while raping the overall performance. I'm sure drivers may fix it some, but I wouldn't expect to be able to play it until about 2 years from now when the hardware is so upbeat that it'll scoff at these minute details. For now, it really doesn't add much, unless like I said, you REALLY take the time to look for the smallest of the small details. Even then, heh.

No issues with Alan Wake on my setup, in fact, I beat the game 3 times with just a KB/M. What was so unplayable?

very finicky camera control with the mouse, it feels like it either never moves enough or moves way too much. Weird acceleration too. Its not just me, I have heard tons of people complain about this.

TressFX seems to only affect hair. That's something you only notice after you turn it on/off.

awwwwww, beginning of the game and the bish is all covered in gore...

full 16:10 support, full crazy customizable settings.. D4rkn3ss is all fucking happy.

i read some shit before getting the game and i started it with exclusive fullscreen and tessellation off, hair quality normal, everything else on ultra preset... so far game is running like a boss! good!

fuck me i hope this is the last one, im playing shit non-stop since far cry 3, omg! getting all kinds of weird pains throughout different parts of my body lately, mostly neck and back, fuck me!

I got mine late Sunday night. I believe dremic posted the support email (it's also in your confirmation code email when you register the AMD code) earlier in the thread. I would email them ASAP.

I got mine late Sunday night. I believe dremic posted the support email (it's also in your confirmation code email when you register the AMD code) earlier in the thread. I would email them ASAP.

Thanks for the reply MavericK96. I emailed them a while ago. Hope they get back to me cuz I want to play this ASAP.

Thanks for the reply MavericK96. I emailed them a while ago. Hope they get back to me cuz I want to play this ASAP.

for me they responded quickly, only a few hours went by.

Hope you get it soon!

Awesome, I just want to get it by end of my work day so I can go kill some stuff in the game ahah. I am excited!

I climbed the tower, just wonder how far in I am?

Hoping this story never ends, been over 10 years since I have been this involved with a single player story game.

The way TressFX hair moves over her shoulder looks so strange, it's like magically held above her shoulder and doesn't even come close to touching it.

right, it looks bad IMO, very unnatural the way it moves and collides... but I really have yet to see good hair besides in the movies... but even then it's still not quite right. I'm glad they tried though, if most people like it then I guess it's a success.

Yeah, not having the key by now is inexcusable.

They never actually replied to my email, I just happened to get the key Sunday night with no other correspondence from them. :rolleyes:

Yeah, not having the key by now is inexcusable.

They never actually replied to my email, I just happened to get the key Sunday night with no other correspondence from them. :rolleyes:

my email wasnt a response either, just the key delivery haha

Regarding TressFX, my guess is they made it interact with her shoulders in that weird way to cut down on physics calculations by giving it a smooth, even surface to interact with, rather than her arms moving around and whatnot.

Problem is, it looks like total shit. I can't imagine that was what they intended, but it seems like a weird thing to be a bug.

I also dig the look of the new Laura Croft, so glad she isn't modeled after that meth whore look of Angelina Jolie. Yuck!

I dig the fitness girl slim look :D

so far i played a bit of it, it seems extremely scripted but a interesting game so far. They did a nice job not holding back on gore. Havn't seen much video games lately that ways you die, etc looks so painful.

so far i played a bit of it, it seems extremely scripted but a interesting game so far. They did a nice job not holding back on gore. Havn't seen much video games lately that ways you die, etc looks so painful.

the first hour is the scripted part though, then it opens up

Back