Today Is The Last Day For $40 Windows 8

You tried to correct me and were wrong, so yes, I am going to point it out. You thought it was fine to (wrongly) pick on my spelling ;). Thanks for your input. Bye now!

Which post did I pick on your spelling?
Give me the post number and I will apologize.

If you mis-quoted me again, then I am going to laugh my ass off at your stupidity.
Deal? ;)

LOL, it provides some much needed entertainment!
GoldenTiger is also providing us with his "input".

OH, you mean post #275.
I think you took it the wrong way.

I wasn't doing that for the spelling, I put 'retarted' (mis-spelled, oh so sorry, lol) into quotations to emphasis it.

Just, drop it.
It wasn't in the context you thought it was.

And yes, I did misspell it, woo.

LOL, it provides some much needed entertainment!
GoldenTiger is also providing us with his "input".

Entertainment at getting Windows 8 threads locked :confused:.
I know, right!
Now we just need to get a few more of the Linux group in here, and we can take this thread down, just like the others! mwahahahaha!!!!1 :D
This is why those that could use some help with Linux cant seem to get it as soon as they would like, you guys are to focused on Windows threads and wanting to get them locked.

By the way, do you have any answers to that post I linked to?

This is why those that could use some help with Linux cant seem to get it as soon as they would like, you guys are to focused on Windows threads and wanting to get them locked.

I just replied. The last AMD/ATI card I used with GNU/Linux though was a Radeon 9600 so I can't test it out to see if it actually works.

I didn't realize I was your personal fucking Linux assistant.
You could say 'please' instead of acting like an ass about it, just saying. ;)

You apparently didn't see my old sig. :D

I didn't realize I was your personal fucking Linux assistant.
You could say 'please' instead of acting like an ass about it, just saying. ;)

You apparently didn't see my old sig. :D

Pardon the fuck out of me for asking for some help from the Linux users. I won't ask again, not here anyways.

You want answers now, yet you'll check it out later... LOL. :D
I'm not booted into Linux at the moment ;).

I find it rather funny that it's the people who are defending Win8 that have no idea just what the hell this means from a developer's and gamer's perspective. I'll try to clear this up for them...

No NXA means:
- New DirectX versions won't be compatible with your "legacy" PC (legacy being defined as anything Windows 7 and older).
- Games that are done on old APIs might have to be reworked to fit the new Win8 model.
- Developers will have to target both Win7 and Win8 separately. This means more man hours and much much more work just to get their games running on two different OSes (that could have been avoided if Microsoft weren't so fucking stupid)

I have no idea how you're making the connection between XNA and new versions of DirectX not being compatible with legacy versions of Windows. Changes to the kernel and driver model create break backwards compatibility in DirectX, not something as high level as XNA.

The end of XNA shouldn't be a surprise, it was primarily used for Windows Phone 7 game development and Windows RT and DirectX provide a much better platform. As for having to target Windows 7 and 8 separately, that's not necessary if one is using DirectX, and even if the latest version of DirectX isn't compatible with Windows 7, then there's DirectX 11.1 that would work with both. And targeting both Windows 7 & 8 Modern UI with DirectX is pretty straight forward, the basic game engine would be basically the same, but the Modern UI deployment might have options for touch controls.

I think that people are trying to find an issue where there really isn't one or is no different that it's always been.

I think that people are trying to find an issue where there really isn't one or is no different that it's always been.

I hope that we are wrong and that there won't be an issue with it, and that Microsoft will be better than Apple in such an under-handed method of migrating users to a new OS and potentially, hardware.

The following comment has been certified USDA 100% Clue Free.

Yeah, it's so bloated, everyone uses it! Clearly it's extremely poor---wait a second, OpenGL has been available on Windows too, why wouldn't they have used that if it was oh so superior, Mr. Linux?

If that were truly the case, publishers would be enforcing that games be produced with OpenGL and other non-DirectX APIs. They aren't.

You believe that nearly every player in the industry is simply ignorant to the fact that OpenGL means greater revenue? If not, how else could the current situation be explained?

Believe it or not this is already happening at lightning speed. Have you played a game on your phone lately? If it's not a Windows Phone there's a 100% chance it's running OpenGL/ES. There's a reason why MS is dumping billions into it's mobile effort and the biggest reason is that it's API's are in danger. The Wii U/ PS4/ Steambox are all attacking MS's API's. The developers that are involved in this aren't small guys either. Valve's a given, but a good deal of Blizzard's games already support OpenGL. The main reason all of the games that run on the Unreal Engine (like Bulletstorm) end up on Android and iOS so quickly is because of it's OpenGL support (which is not an accident).

There's a reason why OpenGL won't work on Windows Phone 8 and it's not because MS haphazardly broke it either. Wonder why the games are slow to come to WP8? Because they are all in OpenGL that's why.

Windows 8 is new. Come back in a year and tell me how good Windows 8 is at installing drivers automatically for new computers. GNU/Linux is far faster at bundling hardware support with the operating system and when I install GNU/Linux, I always have an up to date kernel with the latest drivers.

Windows actively goes out and gets drivers on it's own for devices in a lot of cases. I just purchased a laser printer/scanner. As soon as I got it configured on the network the two 8 machines picked up all the capabilities. Samsung just started selling the printer in November and the driver it installed is the latest from late December. Unless the manufacturer is purposely avoiding WHQL certification chances are windows will find it now.

There's a reason why OpenGL won't work on Windows Phone 8 and it's not because MS haphazardly broke it either. Wonder why the games are slow to come to WP8? Because they are all in OpenGL that's why.

Source please?

What amazes me is that I could expect this attitude from Apple fanboys, but Microsoft fanboys? What?! :eek:
Just don't say anything bad about Microsoft, Windows, or x86, and you should be able to slip by, undetected. ;)

Many people that like and use Windows 8 daily have discussed extensively issues with Windows 8. Certainly in more detail and in more meaningful ways than throwing around terms like "proprietary garbage" and "Fisher-Price" UI which mean little in real world terms and come with no specific description of problems or any useful information that may help remediate an issue or provide education.

You use whatever distro of Linux you use and it works for you and that's great. For all of that talk of Windows 8 being "proprietary garbage" and with "Fisher-Price" UI, I don't think any current distro of Linux would support well the much hardware and software that I use for work and play. I don't even think Windows 7 would install on my Clover Trail tablet, let along an Linux distro and I doubt there's a Linux driver for the accelerometer.

Yes Windows 8 has it's problems. But it does support the hardware and software that I and many others use. If I could just plop a free Linux distro and FOSS software on everything and get all of the capabilities that I have now or better, I'd readily like anyone else would take that over something that costs money. Instead of just throwing around terms like "Fisher-Price" UI, if you're going to talk about Linux in these Windows threads why don't you come in with some useful information like how to get a Linux distro installed on a Clover Trail tablet, get on the disc Blu Ray playback or support for 3D gaming and movies or multi-GPU and multi-monitor gaming or CableCard support. Heck, if I could get something like OneNote and handwriting recognition working well in Linux without wasted hours I'd love to put that on a tablet. If you can get someone like me setup with Linux and switched over from Windows then I'd say Linux is ready for anyone and primetime.

You say that Linux can do anything if one has the skill, well for all of the Linux experts out there I'd think that it would be an interesting challenge to show off how much better Linux can be than "proprietary garbage."

Why? (Not trolling)

Source please?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/06/windows-nt-coming-to-phones-with-windows-phone-8/

While this has particular appeal to game developers—they'll be able to more easily port 3D engines based on Direct3D to the phone platform—they won't be the only beneficiaries. Microsoft said that embedded database engine SQLite, for example, will be available for phone developers. Though widely used in iOS programs, SQLite has been hitherto unavailable on Windows Phone (as it's written in C). The inability to use libraries such as this has been one of the biggest pain points for Windows Phone developers, and the new native code support is likely to be warmly welcomed.

The native code support won't cater to every possible demand, however. Notably, OpenGL ES, the 3D API used by iOS, won't be included, and so 3D applications will have to be rewritten to use Direct3D.

I'm still not following how Xbox 720 developers are going to reach greater profitability as a result of writing toward a set of APIs unlikely to be supported on the Xbox 720.

Oh, and the developers utilizing the new DirectX and developing for Win8 won't even have the option of porting their stuff over using NXA to Win7 devices. Nice, huh?
They'll have the option to port. XNA is no longer being supported: it's not gone.

If you want to be able to backport a 'Modern UI' game, life gets difficult when you use C# (and platform-locked by virtue of the non-portable nature of the language itself), so don't use C#. It's not the only option.

You use whatever distro of Linux you use and it works for you and that's great. For all of that talk of Windows 8 being "proprietary garbage" and with "Fisher-Price" UI, I don't think any current distro of Linux would support well the much hardware and software that I use for work and play. I don't even think Windows 7 would install on my Clover Trail tablet, let along an Linux distro and I doubt there's a Linux driver for the accelerometer.
Well, the Clover Trail tablet you are talking about is Microsoft proprietary equipment.
But I still bet that with customized/hacked UEFI, Linux (or Windows 7) would work on it.

It's x86 and uses a custom UEFI, so it shouldn't be completely impossible.
Difficult maybe, but not impossible.

You say that Linux can do anything if one has the skill, well for all of the Linux experts out there I'd think that it would be an interesting challenge to show off how much better Linux can be than "proprietary garbage."
If you actually used Linux beyond the GUI, then you would already have your answer. :rolleyes:

Yes Windows 8 has it's problems. But it does support the hardware and software that I and many others use. If I could just plop a free Linux distro and FOSS software on everything and get all of the capabilities that I have now or better, I'd readily like anyone else would take that over something that costs money. Instead of just throwing around terms like "Fisher-Price" UI, if you're going to talk about Linux in these Windows threads why don't you come in with some useful information like how to get a Linux distro installed on a Clover Trail tablet, get on the disc Blu Ray playback or support for 3D gaming and movies or multi-GPU and multi-monitor gaming or CableCard support. Heck, if I could get something like OneNote and handwriting recognition working well in Linux without wasted hours I'd love to put that on a tablet. If you can get someone like me setup with Linux and switched over from Windows then I'd say Linux is ready for anyone and primetime.
Just keep using Windows, it has out-of-the-box support for everything you apparently need.
No one on here is forcing you to use another OS, but don't get upset when we point out a lot of Windows' many flaws.

I get that you are tired of us pointing out "Linux this and Linux that" to you, but you have to understand that we are using the freedom-of-customization and features of Linux as a comparison to the functionality of the Windows OS.
Yeah, I do make fun of Microsoft and Windows because of how ridiculous the company and OS have become, not to mention the garbage they are now starting to shove down our throats and forcing us to "like it".

Until Microsoft stops acting like Apple and Windows 8 has a more functional GUI for all platforms, I am going to continue to contend it.
Another thing, why don't you figure all of that shit out from your post, considering you are the one with tablets to spare. ;)

Wow... ugh yeah... so MS is asking developers to rewrite games for a platform that has a minuscule market share. Or developing games for iOS and then porting to Direct3D. Yikes.

It's a good thing that Metro isn't coming to Windows...hmm wait a minute...

Well, the Clover Trail tablet you are talking about is Microsoft proprietary equipment.
But I still bet that with customized/hacked UEFI, Linux (or Windows 7) would work on it.

It's x86 and uses a custom UEFI, so it shouldn't be completely impossible.
Difficult maybe, but not impossible.

Funny how this Microsoft proprietary equipment is called an Intel Atom. But fair enough, I understand that Clover Trail was designed specifically for Windows 8 and that there are supposed to be variants for Android and Linux.

If you actually used Linux beyond the GUI, then you would already have your answer. :rolleyes:

Just keep using Windows, it has out-of-the-box support for everything you apparently need.
No one on here is forcing you to use another OS, but don't get upset when we point out a lot of Windows' many flaws.

I've used various desktop Linux distros a lot over the years, not much recently as trying to get things I wanted to work simply took more time that I thought it was worth it as I already had working solutions in Windows. Why would I get upset about people pointing out flaws in Windows? I seem them everyday. Pointing out flaws is fine. And a pretty big one would be when a platform doesn't support the software and hardware one wants to use, and that's not at all uncommon with desktop Linux. Which is probably why more people aren't using it since as you say Windows 8 is "proprietary garbage" with a "Fisher Price" UI.

I get that you are tired of us pointing out "Linux this and Linux that" to you, but you have to understand that we are using the freedom-of-customization and features of Linux as a comparison to the functionality of the Windows OS.
Yeah, I do make fun of Microsoft and Windows because of how ridiculous the company and OS have become, not to mention the garbage they are now starting to shove down our throats and forcing us to "like it".

Not really tired of it as much as wondering yet again what does Linux have to do with Windows 8.

Until Microsoft stops acting like Apple and Windows 8 has a more functional GUI for all platforms, I am going to continue to contend it.
Another thing, why don't you figure all of that shit out from your post, considering you are the one with tablets to spare. ;)

As I said earlier it's fine to point out flaws, but not everything one points out is necessarily a true flaw but a matter of opinion or perspective. The issue of the Windows 8 GUI having true technical usability issues is hard to grasp for a lot of folks because many people beyond myself use Windows 8 just like Windows 7. I'm sitting in front of my two 1920x1200 non-touch monitors, keyboard, mouse, with 30 IE 10 desktop browser tabs, OneNote, Sumatra PDF, Xbox Music app playing stuff from my music pass, while ripping a DVD with AnyDVD HD, Steam and Origin in the background. "Proprietary garbage". "Fisher Price" UI. What the does any of that mean when all of this stuff works like it did in Windows 7.

Sure Windows 8 needs improvement, I mentioned many times things like multiple monitor issues with Modern UI apps, better management of the Start Screen, etc. But this notion of Windows 8 being a technical or usability disaster doesn't make a lot of sense to me when all of this stuff works as well as it did in Windows 7 plus Windows 8 is so much more mobile than Windows 7. Web browsing works MUCH better on tablets than it ever did in 7, launching apps is tons easier from the Start Screen, useable touch Kindle, Nook and Netflix clients, some decent games, PDF Reader, etc.

If Windows 8 is "proprietary garbage" with a "Fisher Price" UI and so flawed, how is it capable of doing all of this stuff on such a wide array of devices and input methods?

I've used various desktop Linux distros a lot over the years, not much recently as trying to get things I wanted to work simply took more time that I thought it was worth it as I already had working solutions in Windows.

It's less long winded to just say, "I tried it and can't figure it out."

Not really tired of it as much as wondering yet again what does Linux have to do with Windows 8.

GoldenTiger, who strangely also claims to be a software developer (like you), but is clueless about most of the basics of programming (like you) and peddles his idea of how the world should work (like you) and rarely posts at the same time as you (hmmm) seemed to insist on talking about it. Everyone else just went along with you...I mean him.

As I said earlier it's fine to point out flaws, but not everything one points out is necessarily a true flaw but a matter of opinion or perspective.

People don't need your permission to point out anything, like anything, dislike anything, or even have a valid opinion. Someone could dislike Windows 8 because of Pop Tarts and that'd be just as reasonable as any other opinion on the planet, including yours.

The issue of the Windows 8 GUI having true technical usability issues is hard to grasp for a lot of folks because many people beyond myself use Windows 8 just like Windows 7.

Your usage model doesn't work for everyone else. Dunno how many times that's come up in this and most other Win8 threads, but you can't seem to get it.

I'm sitting in front of my two 1920x1200 non-touch monitors, keyboard, mouse, with 30 IE 10 desktop browser tabs, OneNote, Sumatra PDF, Xbox Music app playing stuff from my music pass, while ripping a DVD with AnyDVD HD, Steam and Origin in the background.

ZOMG, two monitors with a specific resolution are displaying a bunch of mostly idle tasks while listening to music, typing text, and moving data from an optical disk?! Someone call the people at Oak Ridge National Labratory, a some guy who stays awake all night to argue in a forum has their next supercomputer in in his mother's apartment!

Sure Windows 8 needs improvement, I mentioned many times things like multiple monitor issues with Modern UI apps, better management of the Start Screen, etc. But this notion of Windows 8 being a technical or usability disaster doesn't make a lot of sense to me when all of this stuff works as well as it did in Windows 7 plus Windows 8 is so much more mobile than Windows 7.

See Pop Tarts comment above and get over the fact that people have opinions. By the way, since we're pretending to not understand things -- Windows 7 and Windows 8 don't seem to cause a big weight difference in my laptops. I'd say they're equally mobile.

Web browsing works MUCH better on tablets than it ever did in 7, launching apps is tons easier from the Start Screen, useable touch Kindle, Nook and Netflix clients, some decent games, PDF Reader, etc.

Because it was so devilishly hard to browse the web for the last 18 years on all other operating systems aside from Windows 8. And it was nearly impossible to start a program because it's now "tons easier." I remember having to drive my car over my desktop to start a program just to get the necessary tons needed when I last installed Windows 7. We had to use so much effort that most people died operating heavy machinery or from dehydration if they were burly enough to try it without using construction equipment. Don't even get me started on what happened to the web dev guy at the office who thought he could handle the last OS version with just hand tools. Windows 8 has reduced the number of office fatalities by at least 15% or so since its release.

If Windows 8 is "proprietary garbage" with a "Fisher Price" UI and so flawed, how is it capable of doing all of this stuff on such a wide array of devices and input methods?

A wide array...you mean a keyboard, mouse, and touch screen? That's like a fourth of a dozen ways and totally amazing when you compare it to any other tablet that has a mouse and keyboard plugged into it to make it usable. I'm sure the whole world is just floored. Well, except for Chuck Norris who can punch so hard that his fists can process more data than any computer built by humans.

It's less long winded to just say, "I tried it and can't figure it out."

Have you ever gotten a TV tuner or touch and pen and screen rotation on a Tablet PC or Bluetooth all to work smoothly and reliably under a Linux distro?

People don't need your permission to point out anything, like anything, dislike anything, or even have a valid opinion. Someone could dislike Windows 8 because of Pop Tarts and that'd be just as reasonable as any other opinion on the planet, including yours.

No one needs anyone else's permission to state an opinion. And no one needs permission to rebuff an opinion. You state the obvious.

Your usage model doesn't work for everyone else. Dunno how many times that's come up in this and most other Win8 threads, but you can't seem to get it.

And neither does yours.

ZOMG, two monitors with a specific resolution are displaying a bunch of mostly idle tasks while listening to music, typing text, and moving data from an optical disk?! Someone call the people at Oak Ridge National Labratory, a some guy who stays awake all night to argue in a forum has their next supercomputer in in his mother's apartment!

So then why don’t you describe a scenario that's truly impressive in your view and that would be difficult to do in Windows 8 that’s easier on another OS?

See Pop Tarts comment above and get over the fact that people have opinions. By the way, since we're pretending to not understand things -- Windows 7 and Windows 8 don't seem to cause a big weight difference in my laptops. I'd say they're equally mobile.

Mobility also pertains to the ability to use the device while mobile and battery life. And there were no Windows 7 devices made that weigh about 1.5 pounds and get around 10 hours of battery life like Clover Trail devices, and Clover Trail at least officially doesn’t support Windows 7.

Because it was so devilishly hard to browse the web for the last 18 years on all other operating systems aside from Windows 8. And it was nearly impossible to start a program because it's now "tons easier." I remember having to drive my car over my desktop to start a program just to get the necessary tons needed when I last installed Windows 7. We had to use so much effort that most people died operating heavy machinery or from dehydration if they were burly enough to try it without using construction equipment. Don't even get me started on what happened to the web dev guy at the office who thought he could handle the last OS version with just hand tools. Windows 8 has reduced the number of office fatalities by at least 15% or so since its release.

I was refereeing specifically to touch based web browsing on Windows 7 compared to Windows 8.

A wide array...you mean a keyboard, mouse, and touch screen? That's like a fourth of a dozen ways and totally amazing when you compare it to any other tablet that has a mouse and keyboard plugged into it to make it usable. I'm sure the whole world is just floored. Well, except for Chuck Norris who can punch so hard that his fists can process more data than any computer built by humans.

There’s also pen. Convertible, hybrids, pure tablets, conventional clamshell laptops, desktops with multiple screens or touch screens or even multiple touch screens. Simply stating the facts of what Windows 8 has official support for. Linux can support these things as well but not much official support for it. And I don’t think much support iOS or Android either.

Yup. I have.

Android, with like a billion units sold to date.

You have? Funny, since cableCARD is only certified for Windows usage currently. That's quite a feat, why don't you share how.... I am QUITE sure many would be interested!

Android != Linux. And it certainly isn't a touch and pen device for PC productivity.

Yup. I have.

So have I, but that was just part of what I mentioned. I've gotten all of the this to "work" in Ubuntu a couple of years ago but the experience was far from smooth and it was very time consuming and the result wasn't as good as it was in Windows. There's a lot of talk about how great driver support is in Linux, and I admit I've not tried it in while, but until I know that I can just plug something in, have it picked up automatically or run a simple setup, and just have everything work without all kinds of weirdness, I just don't feel like taking the time.

Sure, Linux is great with basic hardware like video and network drivers, but any additional hardware beyond these things come with a lot of unknowns and no guarantees.

Android, with like a billion units sold to date.

But Android isn't the same thing as desktop Linux. Can you take that TV tuner you got working in Linux and then plug it into an Android tablet and follow the same steps under Linux to get it to work on any Android tablet?

Android != Linux. And it certainly isn't a touch and pen device for PC productivity.

Yeah, I always find that interesting how many Linux advocates equate Android and desktop Linux when they are so dissimilar in so many ways.

Have you ever gotten a TV tuner or touch and pen and screen rotation on a Tablet PC or Bluetooth all to work smoothly and reliably under a Linux distro?

Touch-driven interface, yup. TV tuner card...never tried. I don't really do the TV thing since it's a non-factor.

No one needs anyone else's permission to state an opinion. And no one needs permission to rebuff an opinion. You state the obvious.

I'm just helping you understand it since, despite if being obvious, you intentionally miss it and a lot of other things. :)

And neither does yours.

You impose yours on others. I don't.

So then why don’t you describe a scenario that's truly impressive in your view and that would be difficult to do in Windows 8 that’s easier on another OS?

Sure. Clicking the Start button then clicking All Programs without installing software that modifies the user interfeace. :cool:

Mobility also pertains to the ability to use the device while mobile and battery life. And there were no Windows 7 devices made that weigh about 1.5 pounds and get around 10 hours of battery life like Clover Trail devices, and Clover Trail at least officially doesn’t support Windows 7.

That has little to do with OS and more to do with the progression of technology in general.

I was refereeing specifically to touch based web browsing on Windows 7 compared to Windows 8.

I wasn't.

There’s also pen. Convertible, hybrids, pure tablets, conventional clamshell laptops, desktops with multiple screens or touch screens or even multiple touch screens. Simply stating the facts of what Windows 8 has official support for. Linux can support these things as well but not much official support for it. And I don’t think much support iOS or Android either.

Touching the screen with a pen or finger. The screen is still poked with something. So that's still three devices. Insisting on counting a pen as something unique, that's four, all of which existed before Windows 8. It's like puberty. You can brag about your new body hair all you want, but everyone else is hairy sooner or later too.

You're actually talking about that in a thread about the price of Windows 8?

You people are the ones who brought it up, don't whine when it's then discussed :p. And, why is it cool and easy to have to modify the kernel in deep coding to modify your Linux interface, but getting a start menu by doing a 30-second (including google search time) install back on Windows 8 is something that's Herculean and would be "impressive" to you? Please.

Back