To wait or buy now?

B!nd.

Gawd
I really want a Vive. It seems that V2 could posses a lot of nifty and worthwhile updates but rumors project a 2018 release. What do you guys recommend?

I thought HTC said they havent started development on the Vive2 during their earnings meeting?
edit: seems like I COULD be wrong. Nothing solid though pointing to a new vive other then new controllers... Which work with the Vive 1

I thought HTC said they havent started development on the Vive2 during their earnings meeting?
edit: seems like I COULD be wrong. Nothing solid though pointing to a new vive other then new controllers... Which work with the Vive 1

If it's just the controllers then I can live with that. I'm more concerned with updated screens on the head unit. Wireless doesn't interest me so the only other factor would be improved tracking ability. Is that something that needs improvement?

Nobody has said anything concrete yet. But the estimates floating around for both Oculus and HTC are that we're between 1.5 and 2 years away from another generation. Late 2018 is the absolute earliest we could see a new HMD from either side.

I'd say it's a pretty solid bet that the earliest a gen 2 / version 2 VR product that comes out of either of the main camps (HTC or Oculus) is at a bare minimum of at least a solid year out, but more realistically closer to at least 2 years out. Just so many factors contributing to this: Eye tracking tech being further developed, improved VR specific screen tech development, allowing time for GPU hardware to become cheaper/more powerful to handle the added resolution improvements, etc.

I do see HTC releasing a "refreshed" Version/Gen 1 Vive with an improved head-strap assembly that comes with built-in audio within the next 3-4 months though (as well as releasing this improved head-strap as an add-on for existing owners):
Vive-Deluxe.jpg

I ordered both the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift the day each became available for pre-order. Was going to keep whichever I liked best and sell the other, but ended up keeping and using them both! Now that the Rift has the Touch controllers, you really can't go wrong with either HMD choice - they are very evenly matched as to overall performance/features. If I had to pick one setup right now, I would give the edge to the Rift + Touch, simply due to the slightly better ergonomics, built-in audio and the excellent Touch controllers.

As to waiting a year or two for a Gen 2 VR product, well... FUCK THAT! It's PLENTY good enough now to give you lots of enjoyment! (However, I would caveat that statement with "If you have a solid PC with a beefy GPU - at least a 1070 or better.")

(Edit) OP, just noticed you've already got an i7 6700K AND a Titan XP... It's time for you to step into VR now! :D

Last edited:
I really want a Vive. It seems that V2 could posses a lot of nifty and worthwhile updates but rumors project a 2018 release. What do you guys recommend?
Like some have said, it really has a lot of software for them. If you can afford it, I say go for it. You won't be disappointed.

I'd say it's a pretty solid bet that the earliest a gen 2 / version 2 VR product that comes out of either of the main camps (HTC or Oculus) is at a bare minimum of at least a solid year out, but more realistically closer to at least 2 years out. Just so many factors contributing to this: Eye tracking tech being further developed, improved VR specific screen tech development, allowing time for GPU hardware to become cheaper/more powerful to handle the added resolution improvements, etc.

I do see HTC releasing a "refreshed" Version/Gen 1 Vive with an improved head-strap assembly that comes with built-in audio within the next 3-4 months though (as well as releasing this improved head-strap as an add-on for existing owners):

I ordered both the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift the day each became available for pre-order. Was going to keep whichever I liked best and sell the other, but ended up keeping and using them both! Now that the Rift has the Touch controllers, you really can't go wrong with either HMD choice - they are very evenly matched as to overall performance/features. If I had to pick one setup right now, I would give the edge to the Rift + Touch, simply due to the slightly better ergonomics, built-in audio and the excellent Touch controllers.

As to waiting a year or two for a Gen 2 VR product, well... FUCK THAT! It's PLENTY good enough now to give you lots of enjoyment! (However, I would caveat that statement with "If you have a solid PC with a beefy GPU - at least a 1070 or better.")

(Edit) OP, just noticed you've already got an i7 6700K AND a Titan XP... It's time for you to step into VR now! :D

Great post. Thank you for your input.

I don't know if an updated head-strap assembly would interest me. My headphones are kind of bulky but I have never used a Vive or any HMD for that matter so I can't say whether or not using third party headphones would bother me. I keep hearing great things about the Oculus controllers but again, if I can just upgrade those after I get a Vive 1 then I won't wait for the 2nd gen. It seems like all signs are pointing to a Vive. Tax returns were also very generous this year :greedy:

Great post. Thank you for your input.

I don't know if an updated head-strap assembly would interest me. My headphones are kind of bulky but I have never used a Vive or any HMD for that matter so I can't say whether or not using third party headphones would bother me. I keep hearing great things about the Oculus controllers but again, if I can just upgrade those after I get a Vive 1 then I won't wait for the 2nd gen. It seems like all signs are pointing to a Vive. Tax returns were also very generous this year :greedy:

Sure, glad to provide inputs! A couple of follow-ups based on your post above. The Touch controllers will only work with the Rift (they use a completely different tracking tech that isn't compatible with the Vive.) You won't like or want to use heavy/bulky headphone with the Vive as they'll go flying off your head all the time and become a real hassle. You'll want something lightweight - I posted this a while back on the subject. Having quality sound built into the headstrap assembly is a huge plus on an HMD - makes taking it on/off a lot easier with less hassle as to adjustment. With the Rift, it's like donning a baseball cap. The new headstrap HTC is developing will make the Vive a lot more like the Rift in this respect.

Back