Titanfall - Respawn Entertainment's first game

man I love how people are so specific with the prices they would put on a game...if only every utility curve could be plotted with such imagined accuracy :rolleyes:

So what you are telling me is that corporations know better than I do, on what price I will pay? Hate to burst your bubble, but the game is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Just like everything else in life.

You might have some super fantastic widget that to you it really is worth a million dollars. I might see nothing but an old scrappy broken widget and wouldn't give you 20 dollars. Neither of us are wrong, except when it comes to the actual transaction, only then is true worth defined in terms of dollars.

This whole concept that corporations and/or government know what's "good for me" better than I would, is increasingly disturbing. It's my money, and I'm telling you I wouldn't pay more than $30 for it. Case closed. The utility curve I generate for an item is accurate 100% of the time for me, myself, and I.

The best they can do is guess the point on that curve that will maximize their revenue. Right now they are guessing wrong.

A temporary work around is to force vsync in the Nvidia panel or with RadeonPro. It's still not quite perfect, but the default in-game one is so jerky it's MUCH better. Lowering the AA a bit also helps, too. Even though I can max it out and still pull 60fps, those higher AA settings seem to make mouselook even choppier than it already is.
Hopefully that's one of those features that is truly in beta and isn't finished.

I've tried every AA setting, it does make it worse when higher, but it seems its bound to the lower performance when higher. Double/Triple buffer, don't matter, it's just broke. The only way it doesn't do it is if vsync is off, but then we have the awful tearing, but then I can turn AA back up and it doesn't jerk around.
I'm gonna try the cpl thing to see if it's any better...

This is a really fucking bad bug. I hope they fix it before the beta is over. It is definitely getting in the way of the experience.

Resources are shared between maps...

Shared resources are in a separate file, yes. I believe that file have some holes in it for the maps that are missing.

Doesn't change the principal analysis since the shared portions are likely to grow as you add maps.

Last edited:
Shared resources are in a separate file, yes. I believe that file have some holes in it for the maps that are missing.

Doesn't change the principal analysis since the shared portions are likely to grow as you add maps, hence the upper bounds hold.

There's 14 maps.

37c1b462d20d40f3c9c030986b69f6c02a66fae9b5f1b9871cb71daecf26e625.jpg

It is under "New Game Demos" on XBox One now. So yeah, it's a demo.

If the game indeed ships with 14 maps, then I'd say that's probably worth the price right there. As I mentioned before, focused gameplay is refreshing to me. I don't need all the extra fluff. The game also rewards some twitch based skills, which I think will be embraced by the PC community. In recent years, the trend has been for slower games with complex shooting models. This game is just a pure shooter. Fast, agile.

I do enjoy some choices on game modes, however. So we will see what happens there. But as is, assuming 14 maps, I have zero issue with the price. The game looks fantastic and plays very well.

There's a few tweaks that could be made here or there. And I'm going to have to get used to not having destructible environments, after a few years of basically only playing Bad Company 1, 2, and BF4. and it's a small bummer that being in a Titan doesn't look and feel a little more like being in a giant robot. But, the strategies possible with the Titan concepts are real and useful, so it's not just window dressing.

Yes? Again, doesn't change... man.. I should just give up.

Aren't you talking about the approximation of the amount of maps do to the total size of the game? Excuse me if I took your comment wrong. But now we know there are 14, shared resources is definitely the route they took, especially since this is also an X360 game, which I think is holding back the whole thing for it...

I wouldn't pay $60 for a demo either. I'm starting to think a lot of you who refer to "the kiddies" are in fact the kiddies yourselves.

But now we know there are 14, shared resources is definitely the route they took

I was mostly interested in the type of analysis, not the actual number of maps.

(Of course they use shared resources, not only par for the course, but you can't miss the 8GB file (a significant portion of the install) sneakily named "Client_mp_common*")

(Though if you know how many DVDs on PC then we can see how close I came...)

EDIT: don't let me derail the thread, back to mech on mech lovin'.

Last edited:
I was mostly interested in the type of analysis, not the actual number of maps.

(Of course they use shared resources, not only par for the course, but you can't miss the 8GB file (a significant portion of the install) sneakily named "Client_mp_common*")

(Though if you know how many DVDs on PC then we can see how close I came...)

EDIT: don't let me derail the thread, back to mech on mech lovin'.

No one cares how big the installed game size is, good idea to move on.

Either I wasn't paying attention or I didn't have (a ton) of screen tearing when I toyed around with the beta for 30 minutes last night. Off the time of my head I'd say I had more noticeable tearing in BF4, th vsync bug in that game PISSES me off. Sure I won't get tearing but my performance is literally 20% of what it should be. 1440p with dual 290's I should be flying high even with vsync enabled.

Titanfall: playing at 1440p, all options to max. System is xfire 290's, but I'm pretty sure only one GPU is being utilized.

Sadly I don't have the time to really play with it too much more, I'm off the next 3 days but have family coming to visit so no time for video games.

Either I wasn't paying attention or I didn't have (a ton) of screen tearing when I toyed around with the beta for 30 minutes last night. Off the time of my head I'd say I had more noticeable tearing in BF4, th vsync bug in that game PISSES me off. Sure I won't get tearing but my performance is literally 20% of what it should be. 1440p with dual 290's I should be flying high even with vsync enabled.

Titanfall: playing at 1440p, all options to max. System is xfire 290's, but I'm pretty sure only one GPU is being utilized.

Sadly I don't have the time to really play with it too much more, I'm off the next 3 days but have family coming to visit so no time for video games.

I didn't notice any screen tearing either for four-ish the hours I've played.

I've tried every AA setting, it does make it worse when higher, but it seems its bound to the lower performance when higher. Double/Triple buffer, don't matter, it's just broke. The only way it doesn't do it is if vsync is off, but then we have the awful tearing, but then I can turn AA back up and it doesn't jerk around.
I'm gonna try the cpl thing to see if it's any better...

This is a really fucking bad bug. I hope they fix it before the beta is over. It is definitely getting in the way of the experience.

Vsync performed perfectly for me.
Running 290x with 13.12 driver, double buffered, no AA (in case it matters).
All other settings maxed out.
fyi

I'm not sure about that...I can rake up a high number of AI kills with barely any pilot kills and be right near the top of the leaderboard with people who have double or triple the number of pilot kills for that particular match (tested with numerous matches so it's not limited to 1 particular set of players)

Right, but context is everything. It's not like you can only get Pilot OR AI kills, usually people with a high number of Pilot/Titan kills will also have a decent amount of AI kills. I've never seen someone with, say, 2 Pilot kills and 40 AI kills beat someone with 6 Pilot kills and 20 AI kills.

Anyway, my point was that the game doesn't value AI kills nearly as much as Player kills... and no one is going to be impressed at your 0 Pilot/40 AI kills in a match, in fact they are more likely to yell at you.

Speaking of technical issues, does EQAA work for anyone? Everytime I select it and Apply settings, next time I go into the menu it's reset to "None".

I wouldn't pay $60 for a demo either. I'm starting to think a lot of you who refer to "the kiddies" are in fact the kiddies yourselves.

No amount of maps or weapons is going to change this game at a fundamental level or make it worth $60 (IMO of course)

Maybe if they had some really interesting, objective-based game modes like the old UT Assault mode, but I doubt that is coming.

No amount of maps or weapons is going to change this game at a fundamental level or make it worth $60 (IMO of course)

Maybe if they had some really interesting, objective-based game modes like the old UT Assault mode, but I doubt that is coming.

I tried asking Zampella on Twitter if there will be more game modes and didn't get a response. Has anyone seen anything about if there will be more or not?

Apparently there is also Campaign Multiplayer mode with cutscenes and all that.

Also, they did have that part in the tutorial where you have to "hack" a console, so maybe that will be part of some other game mode.

Good for you.
It's a known bug with Vsync.

The point is for people to post what works as well as what doesnt in case a workaround can be derived or the problem can be narrowed down.
I guess troubleshooting isnt your thing, but it is mine.

So who signed up for the titanfall beta and got a stupid fucking xbox one key?

The point is for people to post what works as well as what doesnt in case a workaround can be derived or the problem can be narrowed down.
I guess troubleshooting isnt your thing, but it is mine.

I guess you missed my post where I stated every option I tried and the results.

Regardless, it doesn't fucking matter, because it is a known bug. Stop arguing for no reason.

Leak from Gaf:

Gamemodes:
AT - Attrition
TDM - Team Deathmatch
CTF - Capture the Flag
LTS - Last Titan Standing
Hardpoint Capture
VM - Variety Mode (a mix of all the other modes listed, sans campaign)
Campaign Multiplayer

Maps:
angel city
colony
fracture
relic
airbase
boneyard
corporate
outpost 207
lagoon
rise
smugglers cove
overlook
nexus
o2

Leak from Gaf:

Gamemodes:
AT - Attrition
TDM - Team Deathmatch
CTF - Capture the Flag
LTS - Last Titan Standing
Hardpoint Capture
VM - Variety Mode (a mix of all the other modes listed, sans campaign)
Campaign Multiplayer

Maps:
angel city
colony
fracture
relic
airbase
boneyard
corporate
outpost 207
lagoon
rise
smugglers cove
overlook
nexus
o2

Meh. The modes don't sound all that exciting. I really only enjoy CTF in games like UT or Tribes. Attrition is already basically TDM.

Hmm...only one of those I am interested in is whatever "Campaign Multiplayer" is, potentially. Sounds like it might have varying objectives.

On my system the internal vsync works...but it also introduces a crazy amount of stuttering and massive jitters with mouselook. That's the case with both double and triple buffering enabled. There are apparently different methods for implementing vsync so whatever method they're using just sucks. It eliminates tearing, but it introduces more problems than it fixes.

The Nvidia control panel method of forcing it cleans it up more or less, but it isn't perfect. Forcing that and turning the AA down to 4-8 gave me a pretty good experience.
Supposedly RadeonPro works the same way for the ATI folks.

If not, IMO the tearing in this game isn't horrible. It's a lot more tolerable than most games at least. I still hate tearing of any sort, but before I tried forcing vsync, I made it through the tutorial without gouging my eyes out.

I hope TDM has only pilots and more players.. bots are useless imo, gives away your position. People basically bait other users to shoot their AI and they just come from behind to kill.

Played it for a couple hours. Cod with mechs is right and the mech combat is seriously lacking in depth, even hawken does it better. I don't see my self playing it ever again.

I'm sure it will be amazingly successful.

Back