Titanfall - Respawn Entertainment's first game

Completely and utterly enjoying this game. Fantastic job by Respawn.

I will pre-order this if a good deal comes around. Otherwise I'll wait for a deal after.

Can't wait to play it in March. : D

The impression I get is the AI bots are just there a) for technical reasons so it can run on consoles, b) so console kids can feel good about themselves and always get a 3.0+ KDR no matter what.

It would run better without the bots so A is bogus and I think we can conclude that B is false to because KDR means shit (everywhere, but especially in this game).

The bots are what you farm to get your titan faster, titans is how you gain a firepower adventage on the enemy team, winning the match, which should be the important thing. All the other stuff (kills, challenges, XP) should be secondary. Not sure they've managed it.

The idea behind the bots is good, but they're a bit too stupid and uninteresting. Makes the hacking part seem especially pointless, unless I'm missing something.

(granted the "beta" is missing a lot of items, kits and such)

Last edited:
Jesus some of the comments on here are just idiotic at best.

Yes the AI is dumber than shit....

So the mechs move like humans....jesus christ. Go look at all the core anime that defined this shit....pretty sure the best pilots mechs(Macross, Robotech, and the Battletech Books) all tell of the best pilots mechs being almost human in movement.

No recoil weapons....errr there is some recoil in the game. Fuck this is set how far in the future? If they haven't solved the recoil problem by then...Actually that just shows how out of touch some of the people are on here with real weapons. Go look at some of the weapons used both in the competition and military world virtually no recoil on some of them that are used.

Now. I think the game has potential.....and i really really really hope theres more unlocks and mechs and maps than what has been shown in the game. Because if there's not significantly more.....this is a month game at best before its dead.

what's AI in the game?...I thought all the pilots were human players?...unlocks and leveling seem way too easy...I made it to the level max of 14 way too soon...most guns fire too slow...the maps are small because mechs can't move as fast as humans and large maps would be pointless for mechs...that being said there's something to be said for just being fun and Titanfall nails that aspect

Now. I think the game has potential.....and i really really really hope theres more unlocks and mechs and maps than what has been shown in the game. Because if there's not significantly more.....this is a month game at best before its dead.

Respawn needs to stay creative with their new baby, new maps will just put Titanfall on par with CoD. Battlefield for example will have a DLC with a completely new game mode rather than just maps.

I kinda like the stupid grunts. Makes the pilots seem a little more legendary. Like I heard an AI grunt say something like "move aside Pilot coming through."

Respawn needs to stay creative with their new baby, new maps will just put Titanfall on par with CoD. Battlefield for example will have a DLC with a completely new game mode rather than just maps.

Honestly 4 has turned into a joke.

what's AI in the game?...I thought all the pilots were human players?...unlocks and leveling seem way too easy...I made it to the level max of 14 way too soon...most guns fire too slow...the maps are small because mechs can't move as fast as humans and large maps would be pointless for mechs...that being said there's something to be said for just being fun and Titanfall nails that aspect

Pilots are human by definition. The AI are the grunts, spectres and what not.

I'm not sure how you made it to level 14 without noticing the AI creeps.

Is this game consolized to PC? The only videos I've seen have the console "X, Y, Z" buttons prompted for certain actions.

played for a bit tonight, it's frantic fun but it's not an FPS i can get deeply into. this won't replace Battlefield for me or be a new Infinity Ward-esque COD. i spent a lot of time with and a ton fun with COD2, COD4, and even MW2 but i won't be buying this one. which is a shame because i want Respawn to succeed. maybe their next one will do it for me. it does remind us that we need a BF2143 though!

congrats to those that are having fun with Titanfall. keep on keeping on. i'll play a few rounds again later when i've had a few more drinks.

Pilots are human by definition. The AI are the grunts, spectres and what not.

I'm not sure how you made it to level 14 without noticing the AI creeps.

I never realized who was AI and who was human...I just kill everyone in red...but now that I think about it, it makes sense since a lot of the kills seem stupid easy...I melee like 6 guys in a row standing right next to each other and they barely react

the 6v6 limitation does seem questionable now since there are so many AI bots running around...why couldn't human players be there instead?...they should have made it an option to play as a Grunt or Spectre along with the pilots

I never realized who was AI and who was human...I just kill everyone in red...but now that I think about it, it makes sense since a lot of the kills seem stupid easy...I melee like 6 guys in a row standing right next to each other and they barely react

the 6v6 limitation does seem questionable now since there are so many AI bots running around...why couldn't human players be there instead?...they should have made it an option to play as a Grunt or Spectre along with the pilots

Supposedly they wanted everyone to be able to have a Titan and the maps are too small for more Titans. I would have been perfectly fine with never being able to call a Titan since I rarely used mine and just set it to follow mode.

They should have allowed at least 9vs9 even if you are limited to 6vs6 when it comes to Titans.

Supposedly they wanted everyone to be able to have a Titan

they could have worked around that by having players be able to steal other players Titans...or like they have now 'rodeo' or ride on other Titans...I agree about using the Titans in Follow mode...can rack up more points that way...piloting the Titan is fun early on but it's more useful to fight alongside it and use the Titan killer weapon to take down other enemy Titans

just finished playing some of the beta. I don't see this game being popular and I think it is going to be panned in the reviews when it comes out. I think the maps are too big for 6v6 and it doesn't seem like there's much to keep people playing the game. The cod players would rather get cool killstreaks than a crappy mech to pilot around.

If the bots were switched for actual players it would make the game a lot better, but would mean none of the noobs would be able to get a titanfall.

I'll try a couple more matches and see if my opinion changes.

just finished playing some of the beta. I don't see this game being popular and I think it is going to be panned in the reviews when it comes out

I think the game will be very popular on Xbox One...the PC version will probably sell well also (especially after the popularity of the beta) but not sure how long the community will be into it...I see a 3 month peak before slowly dying out

Last edited:
Game is good enough where if they allowed mods they would sell a shit ton of copies. As is, meh. AI bots are basically creeps ala LoL.

I don't see this game being popular and I think it is going to be panned in the reviews when it comes out.

Won't be panned by the big gaming sites. A LOT of marketing and advertising dollars behind this one and being spread around to the review sites. No lower than 8.0 or 8.5 on IGN for example.

This game is being held back because its cross platform. Titanfall 2 will be better with no AI, more players. That is my prediction.
But I am having fun with this one. Can't get away from the thought that I'm playing FPS MOBA in the capture mode though...
I'm still not sold @$60 on this.

I really like it. I know, I'm the only one to say that so far, ha. I just want to keep playing, and this is strange to me because I hate COD, and BF4 is boring after a match or two. I did like Tribes Ascend a lot though. Semi similar I guess.

I highly doubt it. It already feels chaotic enough with only 12 players, I can't imagine 20+.

the worst part of the experience imo is coming up on a group of grunts and decimating them all while they look at the ceiling.

I played a couple matches, but it didn't do it for me. The grunts seem utterly pointless. They literally just run right into your gun fire. I felt like I rarely encountered actual players. I can see how people could enjoy it, but I won't be getting it.

Maybe I'm just over FPS games in general though.

the worst part of the experience imo is coming up on a group of grunts and decimating them all while they look at the ceiling.

That is pretty bad, but far from the worst part of the experience, IMO.

I just can't see adding more players making the game better.

I think one if the main problems, besides the CoD-clone gunplay, is that you don't really feel that powerful piloting a Titan. Obviously there is balance to consider, but by giving every player a Titan rather quickly and easily, it just dilutes the experience because the Titans can't be too powerful or it would be unbalanced. I basically just feel like I'm running around as a larger, slower grunt. And the Titans die so quickly to both other Titans and even just grunts (since everyone has an anti-Titan weapon) it barely feels worthwhile.

I played a couple matches, but it didn't do it for me. The grunts seem utterly pointless. They literally just run right into your gun fire. I felt like I rarely encountered actual players. I can see how people could enjoy it, but I won't be getting it.

Maybe I'm just over FPS games in general though.

I think the grunts are just there for you to rack up points like in a MOBA so you can launch your Titan faster. Think of it as collecting gold in DOTA 2. :) The game has tons of buffs that start affecting game play after you've leveled up closer to level 10. I don't know how far you got, but it gets even more faster paced when you have the movement speed Burn Card enabled. :)

But yes, I can see people not liking it even though I think it's great.

That is pretty bad, but far from the worst part of the experience, IMO.

I just can't see adding more players making the game better.

I think one if the main problems, besides the CoD-clone gunplay, is that you don't really feel that powerful piloting a Titan. Obviously there is balance to consider, but by giving every player a Titan rather quickly and easily, it just dilutes the experience because the Titans can't be too powerful or it would be unbalanced. I basically just feel like I'm running around as a larger, slower grunt. And the Titans die so quickly to both other Titans and even just grunts (since everyone has an anti-Titan weapon) it barely feels worthwhile.

Put the Titan on follow. Go invisible so the enemy will get distracted by him. Wreck shop with your Titan as your janitor taking out the trash. If he's about to die, jump in and eject out with the Nuclear Explosion perk (level 10) and watch everything in an aoe circle around you die instantly. Now if you get on a bad team the game is boring as hell. But I think all shooters are boring when you feel like the entire enemy team is just hunting you.

they really should re-balance the scoring so that killing actual human pilots is worth a lot more XP...as it stands now you can literally get through an entire match and win without killing a single human opponent...grunts etc should be worth a lot less...takes away a lot of the satisfaction when you feel as though you're basically playing against AI bots...what's the point of multiplayer then?...at least with CoD you know you are killing an actual human opponent and your tactics feel more worthwhile

EA is opening the beta to everyone on the PC tomorrow (XB1 tonight). This will be interesting.

they really should re-balance the scoring so that killing actual human pilots is worth a lot more XP...as it stands now you can literally get through an entire match and win without killing a single human opponent...grunts etc should be worth a lot less

Grunts are only worth 20, Spectors are worth 30. Pilots are worth 100 points. That is a significant increase.

willing to buy a key, or borrow someones. Dying to get my hands on this game :) all your talking makes me want it badly

If titans were harder to come by or you only saw a few per match then you would just have a bunch of people running around with anti-titan weapons and they would just gang up on the titan and it would be down in two seconds.

It would be stupid if there were 2 titans per match that had a bunch of hp and armor. Would be too difficult to take down and would ruin the experience. Plus who would get them in that scenario?

Grunts are only worth 20, Spectors are worth 30. Pilots are worth 100 points. That is a significant increase.

but in the end it means nothing because there are a lot more grunts scattered around the map so it's easy to kill 5 grunts worth 100 points and match the output of killing 1 human pilot

but in the end it means nothing because there are a lot more grunts scattered around the map so it's easy to kill 5 grunts worth 100 points and match the output of killing 1 human pilot

Yes, and Pilots are also worth more time off your counter (something like 15 seconds vs 1 second for grunts) and are worth significantly more in attrition. Does balancing XP really matter that much? Personally, I would rather level quicker.

Back