Titan review samples Shipped

Originally Posted by Filter
Where you been the last year nvidia is slowly killing off Overclocking on gpu's

Maybe he is talking about how Nvidia clamped down on voltage control.

yes we all know that is what he is talking about and we already addressed that. and the typical person that would actually want to fool with raising voltage knows how to get around this anyway as YellowCat already showed.

We all saw Evga do away with evbot and Msi changed afterburner, it was that or suffer allocation. Nvidia sells the 690 in the corporate market for anywhere from 1700-3500 dollars plus the $500 per card per year warranty. They can't make the K10 or K20 fast enough for demand. This is the same reason I cant see many Titans being sold to consumers. Back a couple monthes ago when Amazon bought a ton of K10 for single point, they asked to purchase the k20/x for dp purposes and Nvidia couldnt supply any because of contracts that still hadn't been filled. You see alot of AIBs looking more to AMD for their flexibility.

yes we all know that is what he is talking about and we already addressed that.

Then why do people keep responding to him about dynamic OC, GPU boost, and post bragging screen shots that have nothing to do about voltage control ;)

yes we all know that is what he is talking about and we already addressed that. and the typical person that would actually want to fool with raising voltage knows how to get around this anyway as YellowCat already showed.

Hm, not that I want to mess with voltage but who is YellowCat? He is not a member here.

GTX680 and 670 is hard locked at 1.21v. In fact if you take a dmm to a GTX680 under stock boost it'll hit 1.21v despite what software readings say. You can do a hard mod on the card and it will still report 1.18v in software.

Exactly... typical users like him won't get that though. I have owned 680 SLI, 680, 670 SLI, and finally now one great oc'ing 670... all of them OC'd pretty well.

why im pushing 1386mhz in sli. (cards go over 1400mhz single gpu) at 1.35v. Thats right you cant go that high in voltage on your 670's now can you.

Such a bold statement. But laugably wrong.
I was one of the few at the launch of the GTX 680 to hit 1320MHz stable.

Dynamic OC doesn't mean you can't OC beyond that.

Prime example would be nvidia forcing MSI to remove there bios and for evga to remove there evbot port if that's not killing o/c ing then i done know what is.

This. why should i be limited to what nvidia wants me to have. that's like intel saying you can only use a 42 multiplier or you cant go above 1.3v

Prime example would be nvidia forcing MSI to remove there bios and for evga to remove there evbot port if that's not killing o/c ing then i done know what is.

AMD is also looking into Dynamic OC.

IMO, it worked very well. It forced AMD to release a GHz version of their cards.
If Nv and AMD can get an extra 10% out of their cards without any tweaks from the user is a plus.
It's not like we were getting 40% increases OC Fermi. A 20% OC was good for a 10-15% boost in performance. Nothing amazing over what Dynamic OC now offers.

I think the voltage lock primarily makes extreme OC'ers grumpy. But they'll always find a way around that.

For the GTX 680 to go beyond 1300MHz (300MHz+ over stock) without voltage tweak was pretty impressive to me.
Fermi couldn't do that.

And graphic cards are constrained to a inconvenient form factor when it comes to cooling whats typically 2 to 3 times the energy your average intel processor uses. The software make it far to easy for the ignorant, which is now the case with motherboards as well, even though heat safeguards or instability will typically shut the system down before a meltdown occurs, graphic cards dont have those luxuries. The sad fact is as process shrinks were going to see a clamping down across the board, cpus and graphic cards alike.

I think the voltage lock primarily makes extreme OC'ers grumpy. But they'll always find a way around that.

basically this.

i guess we had it to easy for a while i guess back to soldering and other tweaks to the PCB.

We all saw Evga do away with evbot and Msi changed afterburner, it was that or suffer allocation. Nvidia sells the 690 in the corporate market for anywhere from 1700-3500 dollars plus the $500 per card per year warranty. They can't make the K10 or K20 fast enough for demand. This is the same reason I cant see many Titans being sold to consumers. Back a couple monthes ago when Amazon bought a ton of K10 for single point, they asked to purchase the k20/x for dp purposes and Nvidia couldnt supply any because of contracts that still hadn't been filled. You see alot of AIBs looking more to AMD for their flexibility.

Just to clear this up, Unwinder says that he changed nothing as a result of any pressure from nvidia:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4457968&postcount=15

"No, there is no additional pressure from NVIDIA side. No, there are no additional Kepler related voltage control locks in new version. No, there are no changes in idle voltage for this cards.
And finally, no, I didn't became wise to what some users were doing with memory hacking tools like ArtMoney on 680 Lightning series cards. I knew about hacking voltage limits on 680 Lightning AB since the very first day and see no problems with it as soon as no modified AB versions are distributed. There are zero protections in new version against it, the only reason that 2.2.3 hacks were working on 2.2.4 and 2.2.5 was the fact that those were minor software upgrades with the same 2.2.3 binaries with changes only into the database. New compiled code require new runtime patching and someone with brains inside the head to teach you to crack new version. So those who imagined themselves "kewl haxorz" after editing application memory by someone's else insturctions and expected fixed offsets to work always should learn some basics instead of spreading the rumors."

why im pushing 1386mhz in sli. (cards go over 1400mhz single gpu) at 1.35v. Thats right you cant go that high in voltage on your 670's now can you.

So you hardmodded your cards? Cool. I didn't have to ;). I don't understand the point of your post? I could technically hardmod my card too, but it's not worth the risk to me considering I get a great OC without anything but software tweaks. Are you bragging about cards that had to have tons of extra volts pushed in to reach the speed mine did without any hardmod or tons of extra volts?

Mine was done by TecFreak, not yellowcat, as my picture says right on it.

whoosh...

:D

Whoosh what? The guy I got my vMod BIOS had a username of TecFreak on the forum I got it from :rolleyes: . As I said.

EDIT: ROFL, sorry, I guess I wasn't thinking juvenile enough to get the "yellowcat" reference to my username. Forgive me for thinking better of you.

How any of this has anything to do with this thread I don't understand. Looks like a bunch of epeen waving to me.

How any of this has anything to do with this thread I don't understand. Looks like a bunch of epeen waving to me.

It was a tangent off of talking about whether Titan is going to be voltage locked, and the merit of it mattering or not to those who would even take advantage of unlocked voltage. Read more than the last two posts and you'll see ;).

Yeah, none of what you posted has anything to do with that. Reference GTX670 and 680 is hard locked at 1.21. From what I've heard much like GTX 690 there will be no non-reference Titan. Its a safe bet that its going to be voltage locked.

Yeah, not really. You posted some benchmark of a card that probably clocked well to begin with.

Not one mention of how it clocked before the vbios. What volts that you saw with a dmm beforehand and what voltage you saw with a dmm afterwards.

I don't see how thats supposed to tell me much about your average card.

Yeah, not really. You posted some benchmark of a card that probably clocked well to begin with.

Not one mention of how it clocked before the vbios. What volts that you saw with a dmm beforehand and what voltage you saw with a dmm afterwards.

I don't see how thats supposed to tell me much about your average card.

What does that have to do with anything? The point is that voltage locked cards can still OC well. You people acting like a card can't be oc'd without excessive voltage are wrong, period. And, those who want more voltage can still always do a hard vMod.

What does that have to do with anything? The point is that voltage locked cards can still OC well. You people acting like a card can't be oc'd without excessive voltage are wrong, period. And, those who want more voltage can still always do a hard vMod.

Can, thats the key word. Most cards will not oc like yours and you know that. You've owned a few yourself. What I have read is that most people report very small gains on the modded vbios. I'm still not 100% sure what it does since if you check with a dmm a GTX670 and 680 will hit 1.21v if you can keep it cool with the stock bios.

Generally if you want overclocks like we were able to obtain with Fermi or Tahiti you need a little extra vcore. What I don't get is why you are acting like having more options is a bad thing. Some of us watercool so the option to add a little extra voltage is more than welcome.

So you hardmodded your cards? Cool. I didn't have to ;). I don't understand the point of your post? I could technically hardmod my card too, but it's not worth the risk to me considering I get a great OC without anything but software tweaks. Are you bragging about cards that had to have tons of extra volts pushed in to reach the speed mine did without any hardmod or tons of extra volts?

no hard mods here.

evbot ftw. wouldn't need an evbot if nvidia wasn't killing off overclocking (volt mods)

i dont need much voltage bumps to hit your speed of 1320.

Can, thats the key word. Most cards will not oc like yours and you know that. You've owned a few yourself.

Generally if you want overclocks like we were able to obtain with Fermi or Tahiti you need a little extra vcore. What I don't get is why you are acting like having more options is a bad thing. Some of us watercool so the option to add a little extra voltage is more than welcome.

Most cards have large variance in oc'ing from sample to sample.... most Radeons don't OC to 1300+ 24/7 stable, let alone reasonable temps/noise, either. And not all GTX cards do huge OC'ing either. Voltage isn't something that magically guarantees your card will OC well, and people seem to be equating voltage to oc'ing which is flat out wrong.

I didn't say more options are a bad thing, but I'm not saying "less" is a worse thing particularly when they already can OC well still. It's not a requirement to have that extra option, and in fact, not so long ago we didn't have it period, it's been in for a couple generations and people are acting like it's some god-given right that was always there.... :rolleyes: . You can always do a hard vMod if you really want the extra options, just like the old days.

I'd have to say most cards do NOT have a large variance in OCing based on building PC's for the last 15 years.

I'd have to say most cards do NOT have a large variance in OCing based on building PC's for the last 15 years.

Most cards hit a rough speed range (random #'s out of air: say 2500-2650) and then some hit a much higher range (2800+). By "large variance" I meant the numbers they can hit, not how often they tend to hit it.

I just bought 2x 690gtx and now see this....think I should keep or return. Dont know if it's worth it to "upgrade"

nevermind....just found out 690 gtx only utilizes 2gb of effective memory...I bought it for the sole purpose of running 100+ mods/textures in skyrim. Time to send back and either grab 2x 680 gtx 4gb or wait for the Titan

nevermind....just found out 690 gtx only utilizes 2gb of effective memory...I bought it for the sole purpose of running 100+ mods/textures in skyrim. Time to send back and either grab 2x 680 gtx 4gb or wait for the Titan
you just now figured that out? more money than time to research before buying? :p

yeah just wait a week or so and see what Titan does. if you have that kind of money then it may be the perfect card for you.

you just now figured that out? more money than time to research before buying? :p

yeah just wait a week or so and see what Titan does. if you have that kind of money then it may be the perfect card for you.

Haha I thought I did do my research but I was fooled by the "4gb" vram that was marketed on my newegg screen....better get ready to mash the f5 button once these cards come out

Back