Tips on actually getting a 4090?

Maybe a little late, but Nowinstock.net has a listing of what's in stock for the 4090's (Plus other things) Been seeing quite a few in stock the last few days on Newegg and some on Amazon.

So does anyone even OC these things? I just got like 36K+ TS score without OC'ing, changing power limit or even touching a fan profile... lol

Yeah, at stock, this thing is running cooler and pulling way less power than my 3090 was. On TS Extreme, power was maxing out around 460W roughly, default power limit of 480W on my card.

I tried +1000Mhz memory, +200Mhz core, and 520W power limit, it was hitting 3080Mhz core, but craped itself on the 2nd run, so not stable that high for me sadly.

Seeing as every game I play at 4K right now is double the frames easy, not sure I even care to try again until I get bored one day... lol. It seems to be on par score wise even with people who OCed theirs, so im happy.
Try 105% power target, +150 core, +1500 ram.
Or 100% power target, +140 core, +1500 ram.

These are stable on mine.
I tried 133% power target but even +175 core wasn't stable. 133% power target added 0.9% performance (timespy extreme total score) over 105% power target with the same +150 core, +1500 ram. Haven't tried higher on the ram. 105% is the sweet spot for highest performance.

Try 105% power target, +150 core, +1500 ram.
Or 100% power target, +140 core, +1500 ram.

These are stable on mine.
I tried 133% power target but even +175 core wasn't stable. 133% power target added 0.9% performance (timespy extreme total score) over 105% power target with the same +150 core, +1500 ram. Haven't tried higher on the ram. 105% is the sweet spot for highest performance.
For reference, I was able to get core stable at 3030Mhz, memory at +1350Mhz with a Power Target of 108% (Max on the Suprim X vBios). My issue was there was conflicting control of my video card fans, once i fixed that, I was gold! Still not the best memory OC possible as i did not win that lottery, but very happy with the core speed.

The Gigabyte gaming OC has been in stock for over an hour at Best Buy at least in my area. I really wanted the founders edition but after several months I don't feel like waiting anymore so I went ahead and ordered the Gigabyte.

The Gigabyte gaming OC has been in stock for over an hour at Best Buy at least in my area. I really wanted the founders edition but after several months I don't feel like waiting anymore so I went ahead and ordered the Gigabyte.
I've been enjoying mine for months now. I'm happy with it.

Anyone found a way to totally disable the Gigabyte LCD screen without covering it? Every time I reboot it's back on, just with a blank screen.

Fitted a 343mm Gigabyte Aero ($1500 from NKD on [H]) into my Fractal Meshify 2 Compact today, absolutely flush with the Fractal case fans. No rubbing though (fit the warranty card between the card and fan just to check, and no odd noises or vibrations. Card running beautifully.

IMG_7569.JPEG

Fitted a 343mm Gigabyte Aero ($1500 from NKD on [H]) into my Fractal Meshify 2 Compact today, absolutely flush with the Fractal case fans. No rubbing though (fit the warranty card between the card and fan just to check, and no odd noises or vibrations. Card running beautifully.

View attachment 565858
You can always remove that center fan if need be, the airflow/temp change would be negligible.

You can always remove that center fan if need be, the airflow/temp change would be negligible.
Yeah def as a last resort - but before actually removing as I also thought would be necessary, I had purchased a prolimatech slim 140mm fan (15mm) to replace the existing 25mm Fractal fan. However, based on the above, it turns out that wasnt necessary.

With the full air cooling setup I love having this case packed to the brim with fans, and that intake is what gives me the slightly positive case pressure I really want. Inside of PC looks fairly clean, which I attribute to the slightly positive pressure - It's been running since October and I havent even opened it since then.

Yeah def as a last resort - but before actually removing as I also thought would be necessary, I had purchased a prolimatech slim 140mm fan (15mm) to replace the existing 25mm Fractal fan. However, based on the above, it turns out that wasnt necessary.

With the full air cooling setup I love having this case packed to the brim with fans, and that intake is what gives me the slightly positive case pressure I really want. Inside of PC looks fairly clean, which I attribute to the slightly positive pressure - It's been running since October and I havent even opened it since then.
I don't put much stock in that positive pressure/negative pressure stuff because most cases have too much venting for it to come into effect. Really the only thing worthwhile with tons of case fans is being able to run lower rpm since you have so many.

What gets me, if everyone is buying the 4090 over the 4080, why doesn't Nvidia ramp up production on the 4090's to sell more product and make more profit?
Poor yields probably limit availability.

View attachment 565858
Looks sweet. Just consider fixing the sag because the far right has drooped down considerably.

Looks sweet. Just consider fixing the sag because the far right has drooped down considerably.
I would agree that it looks more noticeable in the photo than in person for sure. So I still have the little riser that they included with my Windforce that I might make use of for this - the bracket which is included with the Aero is a super nice premium thing but unfortunately, too wide given my extremely low tolerances within the case.

So, regarding availability… people stopped posting in this thread around late February. It seems that this is when the cards became widely available - because they’re everywhere now.

So for about 4 months this card was difficult to get? I remember buying my 3090 day one, then for more than a year seeing 3090s selling on eBay at double the price I paid.

I guess the demand for GPUs is dropping.

Interestingly, the guy who owns my local bike store (whose business increased 300% during the first year of the pandemic) said that during the early part of the pandemic everyone, it seemed, wanted to buy a new bike, or get their old one repaired. For 2033, he said, most people were telling him they would be spending their disposable income on travel.

This might have something to do with demand for electronics dropping, because I’m guessing people are just less interested in staying at home, in general.

Niner's rig is absolutely perfect
Thanks I appreciate that. I put a lot of time into this one.
I mean his back fan is of a different brand but still... :p.
But yeah, it really is very well done (y)
LOL, yeah I thought about replacing that fan with another Lian Li fan, but the stock NZXT fan does move a decent amount of air so I kept it for now. Thank you as well.

Available at Best Buy online if anyone is interested. Just got my FE ordered for pickup. 5/16/2023. Happy hunting.

Loads of these on the secondary market, prices are falling down for some reason I do not understand. It's still the best card, and still mostly $1700-1900 new when including tax and depending on model. Asus Strix 4090 selling for $1650 in some places.

Yeah finally getting some market saturation maybe? That and I mean the 4090 is the best card for sure but it dumps a fair amount heat out and with the summer coming that's a legit concern to a lot of gamers.. whereas the 4080 run a lot cooler and performs very well too.. idk.. I find I have to run an exhaust fan for my office after a couple hours with the 4090 and it hasn't even gotten hot here really.. We're gonna see some ghetto mod action with those liquid cooled 4090s and some drier ducting DYI mods to dump the heat outside of the house and stuff. heh!

..thinking of hot cards my gtx470 SLI pair liquid cooled with Koolance blocks and an external 360 rad res pump combo dumped impressive levels of heat.. but it went straight up at least. lol!

(edit: happened to come across this the other day and saved it handy - this thing was my winter office heater!)
P1020155.jpg

Last edited:
Loads of these on the secondary market, prices are falling down for some reason I do not understand. It's still the best card, and still mostly $1700-1900 new when including tax and depending on model. Asus Strix 4090 selling for $1650 in some places.
No one is buying them. Way at my MC last week and the cases are full of 40xx cards.

It's been 8 months since launch. It's not unusual for there to be plenty of stock around.
My local store has tons of 30 and 40 series cards in all denominations, except 3080s. Lots of AMD cards as well, including the 6xxx and 7xxx series, such as the new XTX cards. Even had some Intel cards there and I live in Canada of all places ;)

It's been 8 months since launch. It's not unusual for there to be plenty of stock around.

It's normal to have stock, but it's pretty obvious sales are way down and inventory is backing up. Nvidia is trying to keep a death grip on higher prices but at some point the channel is going to demand price cuts as inventory is too high. AMD cards are easy to get as well, but prices have started to slip a bit on them, more so the 6000 series.

Just curious, does Best Buy ever get more Founders Edition cards or are those gone for good?

Still waiting for the pickup from my local BB. Apparently, nvidia is being sluggish in getting the order out from the warehouse (according to customer service). However, my order is mine/reserved and I am "assured" that I will be able to pick it up by this Monday. We'll see. If not, I'll have to cancel and skip until the next gen models. I'm not playing this wild goose chase again like I had to with my 3080FE. I don't really like the custom cards out there unfortunately. poop.

My local store has tons of 30 and 40 series cards in all denominations, except 3080s. Lots of AMD cards as well, including the 6xxx and 7xxx series, such as the new XTX cards. Even had some Intel cards there and I live in Canada of all places ;)
What store is that? The 3080 isn't being stocked anymore - you only see them online sold by 3rd party sellers who scalp them hoping wealthy, uninformed ppl buy them? The 4070 series - both regular and Ti models are often stocked, sometimes some 4080s and the lower tier AMD 6000 series I often see....I think there's usually one 4090 - the only local stores around here are CC and depending on where you live, Memory Express. But, I find that CC is often cheaper and more selection. The rest are online vendors. In the USA, they have Microcenters and there's usually quite a bit of selection and 'so-so' prices - probably better than what is in Canada - even when you factor in currency conversion.

What store is that? The 3080 isn't being stocked anymore - you only see them online sold by 3rd party sellers who scalp them hoping wealthy, uninformed ppl buy them? The 4070 series - both regular and Ti models are often stocked, sometimes some 4080s and the lower tier AMD 6000 series I often see....I think there's usually one 4090 - the only local stores around here are CC and depending on where you live, Memory Express. But, I find that CC is often cheaper and more selection. The rest are online vendors. In the USA, they have Microcenters and there's usually quite a bit of selection and 'so-so' prices - probably better than what is in Canada - even when you factor in currency conversion.
I am Canadian and I buy from B&H Photo fairly often. Even the conversion and shipping are less than here.

They said, this is the Canada Computers in Gatineau. There has to be 5 or more 4090s there. Like I said, everything BUT 3080's and I didn't see an Arc770, but there was a 750 there.

I am Canadian and I buy from B&H Photo fairly often. Even the conversion and shipping are less than here.

They said, this is the Canada Computers in Gatineau. There has to be 5 or more 4090s there. Like I said, everything BUT 3080's and I didn't see an Arc770, but there was a 750 there.
I know about that store - and the prices are only $20-$60 cheaper (at best) and then there's shipping and the conversion - I don't think it's worth doing and doesn't save you anything. Perhaps, in the past, there were some deals to be had but not anymore.

Back